Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 22:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra_urs View Post
... Another difference is in the Auto mode. While the Civic is equipped with D, 2 and L, the Cruze possess just D mode. Having said that, I must admit that the D mode in Cruze is more than adequate for most situations.
Civic AT in India does not have 2 and L positions. It is just the usual P,R,N,D and then S, for the semi-auto/paddle shift mode.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:12   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Civic AT in India does not have 2 and L positions. It is just the usual P,R,N,D and then S, for the semi-auto/paddle shift mode.
Oh yes, thanks for correcting me.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, James. I presume you know how the paddle shifts work in the Civic. The Cruze is equipped with a 6 speed Tiptronic gearbox which also lets you manually shift the gear in a sequential manner. However, in terms of ease of use, the paddle shifts are a lot better since they are easily accessible as they are more conveniently located (behind the steering wheel). In Cruze, you need to reach out to the gear lever just like how you would do in a manual transmission car. Another difference is in the Auto mode. While the Civic is equipped with D, 2 and L, the Cruze possess just D mode. Having said that, I must admit that the D mode in Cruze is more than adequate for most situations.
Sir I have both the Civic and Cruze automatic qnd can assure that Cruze's automatic is better than the Civic's in the D mode.Though while driving in the manual mode the Civic is alot better with regards to changing gears manually.
Sir the Civic petrol has P R N D S where as the Civic Hybrid had P R N D 2 L(but no paddle shifts).Sir I would like to comment that Cruze's D mode is not adequate for most but for all situations

Last edited by np23 : 8th August 2010 at 22:10.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Sir I have both the Civic and Cruze automatic qnd can assure that Cruze's automatic is better than the Civic's in the D mode.Though while driving in the manual mode the Civic is alot better with regards to changing gears manually.
Sir the Civic petrol has P R N D S where as the Civic Hybrid had P R N D 2 L(but no paddle shifts).Sir I would like to comment that Cruze's D mode is not adequate for most but for all situations
Thanks for the insight, buddy. It is always good to have viewpoints from people like you who know both worlds. I'd NHC CVT before and made use of the L mode for additional traction while driving on steep mud roads. The absence of L mode in Cruze is what made me think that the D mode is adequate in most (but not all) situations. It is indeed heartening to note that the D mode in Cruze is self sufficient.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, buddy. It is always good to have viewpoints from people like you who know both worlds. I'd NHC CVT before and made use of the L mode for additional traction while driving on steep mud roads. The absence of L mode in Cruze is what made me think that the D mode is adequate in most (but not all) situations. It is indeed heartening to note that the D mode in Cruze is self sufficient.
The NHC CVT did not allow you to choseall gears manually and so had L mode for high steeps.etc.For such slopes cruze has the triptronic mode.
Cruze's gearbox is a very good one and if you start with a gentle foot it starts with the 2nd and 3rd gear but only if you press the throttle completely then it starts on the 1st gear.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Cruze's gearbox is a very good one and if you start with a gentle foot it starts with the 2nd and 3rd gear but only if you press the throttle completely then it starts on the 1st gear.
This is a great input. How did you learn about it? I would love to know more about such operational intricacies.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:35   #97
Team-BHP Support

I test drove the Cruze a/t a few days ago. I found it quite nice, the ride and handling were good and so was the stability. The auto box was also good and made the power delivery very linear and hence it didnt feel that quick. Also liked the tiptronic mode and the shifts were about as quick as the civic in manual mode. One thing i found was that the accel wasnt even half as sensitive as my accord's. Overall very very VFM.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I test drove the Cruze a/t a few days ago. I found it quite nice, the ride and handling were good and so was the stability. The auto box was also good and made the power delivery very linear and hence it didnt feel that quick. Also liked the tiptronic mode and the shifts were about as quick as the civic in manual mode. One thing i found was that the accel wasnt even half as sensitive as my accord's. Overall very very VFM.
Sir I completely agree with you but can you please explain what you mean by your statement that the acceleration is not even half as sensitive as the accord.Even I have the accord automatic (current gen) so I would love to hear on this
Old 9th August 2010, 19:03   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sir I completely agree with you but can you please explain what you mean by your statement that the acceleration is not even half as sensitive as the accord.Even I have the accord automatic (current gen) so I would love to hear on this
I meant the accelerator and not the acceleration. Sorry for that mistake. I have the previous gen. V6 Accord and even if the accelerator was pressed a slight amount the car would lunge forward. But in the cruise a more substantial amount of the accelerator is required to be pressed to get the car to move. It has its own advantages, like giving less jerks, it takes a while to get used to the over sensitive accelerator of the accord.

Cant comment on the present gen. since i havent driven the auto.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Buddy. The 212 kmph that I achieved was on the test drive car (which had just done 3500 kms) and not on my car (which is still in the running in period). Anyways, it was a real thrilling experience for me. The way the car accelerated from 180 to 210 kmph was truly unbelievable.

Congrats Narendra on your Cruze, looks stuning.. I have a Olympic White Cruze LTZ MT. Did the showroom guys tell you about the run in period? Because when i asked them, they said there is no run in period. If the GM guys told you so, how much is the maximum speed prescribed by them?.
Old 1st September 2010, 20:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathnair View Post
Congrats Narendra on your Cruze, looks stuning.. I have a Olympic White Cruze LTZ MT. Did the showroom guys tell you about the run in period? Because when i asked them, they said there is no run in period. If the GM guys told you so, how much is the maximum speed prescribed by them?.
They didn't specify any speed limit. I was advised not to exceed 3000 RPM for the initial 2000 kms. In fact, with such a huge torque and virtually zero turbo lag, I didn't have to even cross 2500 RPM.

Last week, I completed 6000 kms and the car has given an average of 13.2 kmpl. I'm planning to clock 10000 kms in the next 2- 3 months, complete the 3rd free service and do a couple of upgrades viz., Projector lamps and CASKA 3610 (In car entertainment). The stock headlights are pathetic to say the least for night drives on highways.
Old 1st September 2010, 22:25   #102
BHPian

Quote:
couple of upgrades viz., Projector lamps and CASKA 3610 (In car entertainment). The stock headlights are pathetic to say the least for night drives on highways.
Thats really nice. Eagerly waiting for the upgrades happening. I guess, yours would be the first Cruze on the forum with Projector Lamps and aftermarket HU.
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:39   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They didn't specify any speed limit. I was advised not to exceed 3000 RPM for the initial 2000 kms. In fact, with such a huge torque and virtually zero turbo lag, I didn't have to even cross 2500 RPM.

Last week, I completed 6000 kms and the car has given an average of 13.2 kmpl. I'm planning to clock 10000 kms in the next 2- 3 months, complete the 3rd free service and do a couple of upgrades viz., Projector lamps and CASKA 3610 (In car entertainment). The stock headlights are pathetic to say the least for night drives on highways.
+1. I agree with you the power is so amazing that you needn't upshift over 2500rpm. There is never a need for it unless your in a racing mode, like i mentioned in my ownership thread.

And, come to think of it someone was crazy enough to mention on this forum that Cruze turbo kicks in at 3500RPM

Btw, what would be the cost of project lights and Caska? Caska If i am not wrong is Rs.45,000
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The auto box was also good and made the power delivery very linear and hence it didnt feel that quick. Also liked the tiptronic mode and the shifts were about as quick as the civic in manual mode.
You've got to be kidding me. I TD'd it too, a couple of weeks back with my ex-boss who wanted to get one. While the box was good in D, tiptronic was so pathetic that I wondered what was the point of incorporating it in the first place. Painful lag between tapping the gearshifter and the gear actually engaging.

Overall, great car though, especially in LTZ trim.
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:07   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
You've got to be kidding me. I TD'd it too, a couple of weeks back with my ex-boss who wanted to get one. While the box was good in D, tiptronic was so pathetic that I wondered what was the point of incorporating it in the first place. Painful lag between tapping the gearshifter and the gear actually engaging.

Overall, great car though, especially in LTZ trim.
Something is better than nothing, isnt it?

Haha ok ok, it was a bit slow, but then like I said about the same as using paddles on a Civic. And stop comparing it to your bimmers auto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks