Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 21:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
sorry to know about such a problem - maybe this can help:

1998 Honda Civic The Car Shakes when shift from N or P > R D? - Yahoo! Answers
If its an busted engine mount, then every time you hit the accelerator while in motion, you will get the jerk.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:04   #137
Team-BHP Support

Until yesterday, every thing that could have gone wrong has been checked. Nothing came out of it.

Today, two fellows from Advait Hyundai Mangalore came to inspect the car, one of them was an auto-transmission expert. They checked every wire, used the scanner to check any possible error, and found nothing. Now they suspect malfunction in the ECM. Since this car has immobilizer, they can't just swap the ECM from another car. Some kind of re-coding has to be done, not sure what that means.

Therefore, tomorrow they will be driving the car from Udupi to Mangalore. At Advait's service center they are somehow going to put a different ECM and see if the AT box acts differently. It is really depressing to see all this happening to a 2 month old car.

My former Santro Xing AT didn't have a single major issue until the 7th year. That too was caused by a torn CV joint boot. And here I am with a two month i10 AT, major problem after just two months.

Did I just get unlucky or is there a general deterioration in Hyundai quality?
Old 29th April 2011, 19:28   #138
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, why do you want them to drive the car to Mangalore. They should arrange for a flat bed truck. If there is any major issue with the transmission driving up may aggravate the issue further.

Hyundai should tow it on a flat bed truck.
Old 29th April 2011, 19:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

I would think it is just a one-off instance - especially since we have many i10-AT owners on the forum who haven't seen any such issues.

BTW, just shooting in the dark - but would it help to reset the ECU and see if it helps ?
Old 30th April 2011, 00:53   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Samurai, why do you want them to drive the car to Mangalore. They should arrange for a flat bed truck. If there is any major issue with the transmission driving up may aggravate the issue further.

Hyundai should tow it on a flat bed truck.
All the experts who worked on it so far feel it can be safely driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, just shooting in the dark - but would it help to reset the ECU and see if it helps ?
They have been at it for 4 days now. I am sure they would have done that by now.

For now I will let all the Hyundai authorized professionals to work on it without me getting in the way. The vehicle is under warranty and it is their job to fix it. If they can't fix it in another week, then I will have to escalate it to the company.
Old 30th April 2011, 02:44   #141
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the issues you are facing. Hope the outcome is positive, That said you have very little to worry about (Warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did I just get unlucky or is there a general deterioration in Hyundai quality?
A bit of both if I may add. But I doubt it as a one off for the simplest reason as over time I have seen Hyundai quality deteriorating (Steering rattles etc).

Quote:
If they can't fix it in another week, then I will have to escalate it to the company.
Have you asked them for a Loaner car? If not do so immediately.

Last edited by Furebo : 30th April 2011 at 02:46. Reason: None
Old 30th April 2011, 09:38   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Have you asked them for a Loaner car? If not do so immediately.
Don't need a loaner car as of now. But I would need one if this saga doesn't end before my family returns to Bangalore.
Old 30th April 2011, 10:43   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Don't need a loaner car as of now. But I would need one if this saga doesn't end before my family returns to Bangalore.
Why take a chance? They will have to provide one to you. That being said the loaner may make them solve the issues ASAP.

My 2¢

Last edited by Furebo : 30th April 2011 at 10:44.
Old 1st May 2011, 09:26   #144
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday i10 was driven to Mangalore by the same AT technician who worked on it previous day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Why take a chance? They will have to provide one to you. That being said the loaner may make them solve the issues ASAP.

My 2¢
My i10 is primarily used in Bangalore. At Manipal it was just parked and not used. If I take the loaner now, it will suffer the same fate. But in 15 days my family has to return to Bangalore, where i10 is our only vehicle. That is where I'll need a loaner, if at all if it comes to that. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:01   #145
Team-BHP Support

Got an update from Autoland today. Advaith Mangalore is getting a ECM kit by tomorrow afternoon from Bangalore. Apparently this includes the immobilizer too. Then they will replace the ECM and test it.

Ok, I have a question here. In immobilizer equipped cars, the ECM can't be swapped so easily. This is because mismatch will occur between the car key and the ECM. Now if they are changing the ECM, will they replace the key too? Don't they have to replace the entire lock assembly. How does this work?
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:53   #146
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Got an update from Autoland today. Advaith Mangalore is getting a ECM kit by tomorrow afternoon from Bangalore. Apparently this includes the immobilizer too. Then they will replace the ECM and test it.

Ok, I have a question here. In immobilizer equipped cars, the ECM can't be swapped so easily. This is because mismatch will occur between the car key and the ECM. Now if they are changing the ECM, will they replace the key too? Don't they have to replace the entire lock assembly. How does this work?
The ECM just needs to be reprogrammed with the key code. The key code is normally provided printed on a card during the time of delivery.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:57   #147
Team-BHP Support

The culprit has been found!

Today morning I got a call directly from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. Once they swapped the ECM, the problem vanished into thin air. It was a faulty ECM after all. How it went bad right after first service is a mystery, but that is not important now. Since the i10 AT ECM is not in stock, they have put in an emergency order with the Factory in Chennai. It should be here within 3-4 days.

I was asked to submit the other key too, since both keys need to be re-programmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
The ECM just needs to be reprogrammed with the key code. The key code is normally provided printed on a card during the time of delivery.
I asked about that. They didn't want any key code. I was just asked to send my second key.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:13   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The culprit has been found!

Today morning I got a call directly from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. Once they swapped the ECM, the problem vanished into thin air. It was a faulty ECM after all. How it went bad right after first service is a mystery, but that is not important now. Since the i10 AT ECM is not in stock, they have put in an emergency order with the Factory in Chennai. It should be here within 3-4 days.

I was asked to submit the other key too, since both keys need to be re-programmed.

Good to know the problem has been identified. Just curious, how exactly was the faulty ECM causing that jerk (from the transmission)?
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:18   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Samurai! Was watching your thread closely and a little anxiously- it would be pitiful if our engineers didn't know how to handle a standard AT. Anyway all's well that ends well. Wishing you many more miles with your beauty!
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:21   #150
BHPian

Good to hear that the problem was identified. Any idea what is the cost of the ECM. I just want to get an idea, if this happens beyond warranty period (hope it never comes to that, I own a Santro AT).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks