Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 15:49   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

My i10 AT Sportz is having a serious problem.

Last Wednesday I gave the car for first free service. In Udupi I have two choices, the dealer Kanchana Hyundai (where I bought it) and the independent Hyundai authorised service center Autoland. Thanks to prior bad experiences with Kanchana, I always used to give my Santro AT to Autoland and I always had good experience with them.

Therefore, I decided to give the i10 to Autoland for the free service. As I picked up the car in the evening, I noticed a violent jerk when I shifted to D. But didn't think much of it. Then I took it and parked it at my father-in-law's house. Next day my father-in-law moved the car to my office since I was planning drive the i10 to Bangalore.

Friday early morning, I drove my Grand Vitara to office at 7:30AM. Moved the luggage to the i10, and reversed the car. Again I noticed the violent jerk, as if I am letting go the clutch at once. This time I didn't ignore it. So I moved around a little, trying to shift in and out of R and D many times.

P -> R = Violent Jerk
R -> N = No Jerk
N -> D = Violent Jerk
D -> N = No Jerk
N -> R = Violent Jerk

Every time I tried it, I got the violent jerk. I realised there was no way I am driving this car to Bangalore (400kms) in this state. But I had a 4PM appointment in Bangalore with a broker and I couldn't afford to miss it. Therefore, I moved the luggage back to the Grand Vitara and drove off to Bangalore in it. I returned back on Saturday night.

Today I called up Autoland and discussed the problem, I was asked to bring the car to the service station. They said they have not done anything that should cause this problem.

As I was driving to Autoland, I noticed a laboured performance. I could do only 60kmph at 2000rpm in downhill, and a 70kmph at 2500rpm. I knew this didn't match with my earlier experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After crossing Belur, I entered good road territory. I had never figured this to be a highway cruiser. But it is a good highway cruiser. Since I was running-in, I had decided to mostly keep the rpm between 2000-2500, and occasionally cross into 2500-3000 territory for passing. But I was surprised to note that I could do 70kmph at 2000rpm, 80kmph at 2200rpm, 93kmph at 2500rpm, and even 100kmph at 2600rpm. And I am not talking downhill, I could do this in straight roads or even in moderate inclines.
This means something is seriously wrong.

At Autoland, they looked at the problem, but could not put a finger on it. In Udupi, AT cars are rare, therefore they are all wary when dealing with complex problems with AT cars. They can clearly see the violent jerk, and I also described my experience in reduced performance. I even showed the above quoted post from the browser on my phone. They were entirely clueless about the problem and promised to check with Hyundai factory experts. So I drove back to office.

As I turned into my office private road, it is a steep incline and the car refused to climb. This was a shock, because I could climb this hill easily before in D. Now it was struggling to keep to even 5kmph. I switched to 2 and managed to slowly crawl up the hill. Something is seriously wrong with the drive-train somewhere, and neither the service center nor I have any clue about it.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th April 2011 at 16:55. Reason: typo
Old 25th April 2011, 16:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, I am sure someone at delaership screwed up your i10. You should see how these guys handle customers' cars. Some of them can't even drive MT cars properly, let alone an AT. Manufacturers award dealerships to cash rich guys who are so penny-pinching that they pay peanuts and hire monkeys. I am sure these guys will be clueless as to what might have gone wrong and might suggest you a tranny change. It's the same story with every car dealer.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:36   #108
Team-BHP Support

pgsagar, I gave the car to independent Hyundai authorised service center, owned by a former Hyundai mechanic. They are not dealers, they only do service. These guys have very good rep in Udupi area and give serious competition to the local dealer. I have had no bad experience with them in many years.

They are very much listed on Hyundai web site.

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-fullscreen-capture-4252011-43837-pm.bmp.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 25th April 2011 at 16:40.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:51   #109
Senior - BHPian

Assuming it has a torque converter and (torque-converter-) lock feature :

this sounds like an issue with the torque-converter-lock engagement/disengagement. The violent jerk could only be due to the torque-converter-lock acting up when it is not supposed to. But this will not explain the RPM-speed mismatch.

PS : any oil-leak noticed from the transmission parts?

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th April 2011 at 16:52.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:01   #110
Team-BHP Support

Something simple maybe like water in spark plugs after pressure wash causing engine to struggle and transmisson getting confused. At idle rpm goes too low and transmission tried to match but due to mismatch gives a jerk.

Just thinking aloud may actually be stupid.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

all was well till the 1st service. i dont know why, but i have this feeling that someone has shifted your i10 into gear without depressing the clutch. and this has damaged the engagement / disengagement of the torque converter.

Disclaimer ~ Not an expert here, just gut feeling.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:06   #112
Team-BHP Support

Won't water in spark plug cause the engine to miss? I didn't notice any different sound from the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
but i have this feeling that someone has shifted your i10 into gear without depressing the clutch.
Without depressing what clutch? This is an AT car.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th April 2011 at 17:08.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:18   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The closest I have come to such a problem was on the 3.2TL. Put it into rev, and give it some gas (to move a little faster than normal), and I used to get a thud. Acura replaced the auto-tranny twice under wty. (It was not a new car, but under a 1 year extra warranty since I had bought a used certified car from Acura itself).

Samu, can you get the car to Bangalore and work with the local A.S.S ? You may get better service here. I know, how to bring it here is a question.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:50   #114
Senior - BHPian

extremely sorry for the error in the last post.
i meant depressing the brake.
like in our civic the shift is locked until you depress the brake, you cannot shift into D, or even out of P for that matter.
i have a feeling that someone just tugged on the selector without doing this.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Question ?

Does this jerk happen only when the engine is cold?
Was the AT oil changed during service? If Yes,what if the oil used was the one for MT?
Old 25th April 2011, 18:13   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

@mdsaab, Samurai- is that even possible? I have tried it on my Vento and it doesn't budge from its position unless the brake is depressed and in certain gear changes, unless the button at the top of the gear lever is too.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My i10 AT Sportz is having a serious problem.
P -> R = Violent Jerk
R -> N = No Jerk
N -> D = Violent Jerk
D -> N = No Jerk
N -> R = Violent Jerk
Seems like there is trouble only when input is given for "drive engagement". The bare minimum the Service guys can do is at-least check the fault codes with the Diagnostics connector. Have they done this? If not get this done first!

Spike
Old 25th April 2011, 19:21   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
like in our civic the shift is locked until you depress the brake, you cannot shift into D, or even out of P for that matter.
i have a feeling that someone just tugged on the selector without doing this.
It can be done in i10. But I don't see how that could create such a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Does this jerk happen only when the engine is cold?
Was the AT oil changed during service? If Yes,what if the oil used was the one for MT?
It happens under all conditions, every time. The AT fluid is changed once in 70,000 kms. No, they didn't even touch the ATF. They showed me the level in front of me, it was nominal. The jerk is so violent, the whole car shudders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Samu, can you get the car to Bangalore and work with the local A.S.S ? You may get better service here. I know, how to bring it here is a question.
I had trouble climbing the incline of my office. You really think I can climb the ghat section and bring it to Bangalore in this state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@mdsaab, Samurai- is that even possible? I have tried it on my Vento and it doesn't budge from its position unless the brake is depressed and in certain gear changes, unless the button at the top of the gear lever is too.
I always press the brake whenever I move out of P, out of habit.

Just a thought. If somebody moved from D -> R when the vehicle was moving, what is the effect on the transmission? Is it even possible to move it like that?

Also, Dippy suggested over SMS that acceleration cable may be stuck. That may explain the violent jerk. But does it explain the loss of power while driving?
Old 25th April 2011, 20:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Wild guess:- torque converter locking up prematurely. Or working in fits and starts.

Other than the start, do you feel the gb is choosing the right gear?

What happens if you select D, apply brakes, and try to rev the engine?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th April 2011, 21:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking aloud: Water in the AT ECM during pressure washing caused a short circuit? Where is that ECM located?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks