Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 20:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

That's an amazing initial report/travelogue. Great pictures as well! Congrats on the i10! Lovely color and alloys Can you elaborate more on how the automatic gearbox is? How is the timing of the gear shifts?
Also, does tyre upsizing result in less F.E?
Old 11th February 2011, 20:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the i10 At, Samurai. FE seems good for a new AT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Initially we wanted the top end Asta because it has ABS and airbags. But 85K extra for those features didn’t make much sense.
It does make sense. I was actually shocked to see this statement. Safety should be paramount.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:24   #33
BHPian

Congrats for the new car Samurai!! Lookgin real nice with the alloys.

Quote:
No, I ordered it as part of accessories, costs some 3K.
Is this the cost of the whole kit, including wiring, relay and button? I am being quoted 6k for the whole set.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:43   #34
BHPian

Congrats on your new I10, Samurai, and welcome to the I10 family. It is one heck of a car and you have to own one to appreciate the all-round benefits of the I10. Initially, I had a negative opinion about the I10, until I test drove the car and compared it with other hatches in the price range (Rs 4.5 Lakh). The I10 Magna 1.2 VTVT was a clear winner for us and our snow-white [or Snow I-te(n) as I call the car] was in our garage by December 2010.

The snaps that I clicked of our car in my ownership thread are nowhere as close to your classy snaps. The photos of the trees in the background are amazing. Your FE is also impressive, given that it is an AT. Much of your experiences of the I10 (AC, highway feel, etc.) are similar to mine.

Melvyn
Old 12th February 2011, 01:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are the mudflaps factory fitted? Mine are the the scoop type w/t the i-10 lettering and smaller too.
Yes, I didn't add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
That would be 1/2 inch of sidewall. (inch on the dia and .5 on the radius)
My bad, I wasn't thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Sorry if this dampens the spirits but Bangy is really costly.
We have the worst roads, highest road tax, and most corrupt state government in the country. We survive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Can you elaborate more on how the automatic gearbox is? How is the timing of the gear shifts?
Also, does tyre upsizing result in less F.E?
The auto gear is brilliant for such a puny engine. It doesn't hunt, and is very linear and predictable if you are gentle with the pedal. The FE reduction will be there, but not significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It does make sense. I was actually shocked to see this statement. Safety should be paramount.
I got two words for you, Demand Curve. If you want more words, where will you draw the line? What if it was 3 lakhs more? Would you still go for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Is this the cost of the whole kit, including wiring, relay and button? I am being quoted 6k for the whole set.
Hmm, let me check the accessories invoice and get back to you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
The snaps that I clicked of our car in my ownership thread are nowhere as close to your classy snaps. The photos of the trees in the background are amazing.
Thanks, over years I have picked up little bit of car photography tricks from Rudra Sen.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th February 2011 at 01:16.
Old 12th February 2011, 07:25   #36
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy and wishing you and family a comfortable ride. I own an i10 Sportz for the last two years. I have taken her for long drives from Mumbai to Madurai 1600 kms and there was any fatigue.

One thing negative we should mention about the car is the reflection we get in the front glass which quite blinds us. Is there a way out?

Otherwise I enjoy the car to the fullest.
Old 12th February 2011, 08:04   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai-san, congrats on the new beauty. That colour (unique to i10, I think) and the killer alloys are to die for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Looks like all Team-BHP moderators going AT way It was Mpower earlier and now Samurai.
Dippy too. Slushboxes are the way to go
Old 12th February 2011, 10:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got two words for you, Demand Curve. If you want more words, where will you draw the line? What if it was 3 lakhs more? Would you still go for it?
Nope.

Cos 3 lac is almost 50% of the car's cost. Simple.

My point was ABS+Airbags are definitely worth 85k, given the safety assurance in case of a mishap. It's a one time investment.

FYI, the Swift VXi ABS costs 20k more than the VXi.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 12th February 2011 at 10:51. Reason: Correction
Old 12th February 2011, 11:07   #39
Team-BHP Support

The i10 keeps surprising us with features. For the record we haven't bothered to read the manual yet.
  • If I stop and open the doors when the engine is running, the hazard lights come on by itself.
  • The hazard lights come on by itself when I switch to reverse gear.
  • If any of the doors are not closely properly when I try to lock, the alarm goes off for a brief moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I own an i10 Sportz for the last two years. I have taken her for long drives from Mumbai to Madurai 1600 kms and there was any fatigue.
Yes, fatigue is almost non-existent. That was surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
One thing negative we should mention about the car is the reflection we get in the front glass which quite blinds us. Is there a way out?
I haven't noticed it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nope.

Cos 3 lac is almost 50% of the car's cost. Simple.

My point was ABS+Airbags are definitely worth 85k, given the safety assurance in case of a mishap. It's a one time investment.

FYI, the Swift VXi ABS costs 20k more than the VXi.
Different people have different threshold. Some wouldn't spend 5K more for ABS+airbags, some will spend any amount. If I had bought Asta, the on-road cost would have hit 7.3L at least. We felt that was too much to pay for a hatch. Besides, I drive a doorless Jeep with drum brakes and no safety features. So I practice safe driving, that will go longer way than any gizmo.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2011, 12:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congos Samurai Sen.... She looks truly amazing in that color. Great choice of alloys. A good shade of sun film to match the body color would definitely enhance her looks.

Quote:
If I stop and open the doors when the engine is running, the hazard lights come on by itself
Very practical and thoughtful add on from Hyundai. Don't know if my prev gen i10 Sportz has it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gururaj View Post
Quote:
I haven't noticed it yet
I presume you are talking about the reflection caused by the beige dash board in the first gen i10's. This is almost non existent with the non beige dashboards in current gen i10s i guess.

Quote:
So I practice safe driving, that will go longer way than any gizmo.
Absolutely spot on!! Many a times most of us do not realize this.

I often feel that ABS in best suited only for High speed high way drives.
Few months back I had a freaking incident with our Innova V which comes with ABS as standard. Our chauffeur was driving through a narrow lane in a residential area at speeds less than 20Kmph. All of a sudden an elderly gentleman from no where cut us across from the LHS with his moped.

Though we were about 2 meters away from him when our chauffeur frantically slammed the brakes the car just refused to stop instantly and hit him. Thankfully we were doing very low speeds so that the man escaped unhurt leaving a scar on the front bumper of our car. :(

IMHO... ABS definitely increases the breaking distance which is really hazardous for low speed city drives.
Old 12th February 2011, 12:35   #41
BHPian

congrats on the car, loved the write up.
new i10 looks pretty smart in comparison to the earlier avatar.
good choice of color and alloys.
wish you a trouble free ownership.
Old 12th February 2011, 12:49   #42
BANNED

Congrats on the AT i10 Samurai Sir,

I have driven the older i10 AT Sportz which belongs to my friend,for over a month. The things i liked about the car.

1) Space - very well designed.
2) Head room - No claustrophobic feeling at all, unlike other high end Maruti's
3) Engine - Beats all the other hatches in performance and is super silent
4) Build quality and fit n finish, is better than its other contemprories
5) AT is a boon, there is NO FATIGUE, which is the highlight of this car. Makes driving enjoyable. Add to that the "SPORTS MODE" which makes the car more sportier to drive a quick race.
6) Fantastic braking, i would rate it better than any car i've driven so far.

The only thing that i felt was a let down was its FE, never was able to achieve anything beyond 11 kmpl, though my friend complains, he never got anything beyond 9 kmpl.

Have a wonderful ownership with the car.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th February 2011 at 12:51.
Old 12th February 2011, 13:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Add to that the "SPORTS MODE" which makes the car more sportier to drive a quick race.
You are kidding right
The sports is not a 'mode' in i10 but just a variant - with extra features (like ICE, rear seat headrests etc).
(compared to other variants) there is nothing more 'sporty' about it in true sense, apart from the variant tag
Old 12th February 2011, 13:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

@samurai
that is one good looking car. The face lifted i10 is a big improvement over the previous one. And you have dressed her up beautifully. Fantastic choice of alloys really add character to the car. Now am a fan of your photography too. Some fantastic shots over breathtaking nature landscapes. Totally relate to it. Cars and travel two of my greatest passions.
Looking forward to hearing more about your car. Wishing you and your wife many miles of joyful motoring in your i10
Old 12th February 2011, 13:58   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Space - very well designed.
2) Head room - No claustrophobic feeling at all, unlike other high end Maruti's
3) Engine - Beats all the other hatches in performance and is super silent
4) Build quality and fit n finish, is better than its other contemprories
I agree, but I don't know about the engine part. I haven't driven most of the recent hatches.

Quote:
Add to that the "SPORTS MODE" which makes the car more sportier to drive a quick race.
What sportz mode? It is an AT car, there is no quick acceleration. I always accelerate gradually keeping the revvs low all the time.

Quote:
6) Fantastic braking, i would rate it better than any car i've driven so far.
I can't say that to the newer i10. I feel the brakes are little spongy, it always stops about half second later than I intend. I felt that in couple panic stops I had to do on this drive.

Quote:
The only thing that i felt was a let down was its FE, never was able to achieve anything beyond 11 kmpl, though my friend complains, he never got anything beyond 9 kmpl.
I am yet to measure city FE. Happy with the highway FE though.

Most Viewed