Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 07:07   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhavShatna95 View Post
Has someone converted Ford cars into CNG in Delhi successfully?
I have a 2016 Ford Figo (4 cylinder), got a Lovato kit installed in 2017 from AA CNG on Karnal Road, Delhi. The kit never worked properly and had stalling issues and low performance in smaller gears. Even burnt a clutch and a few batteries died because of this The clutch also becomes much heavier on CNG.
I am thinking of removing the kit altogether since I have been running my car exclusively on petrol for a few months and N number of trips to the cng fitment centre were of no avail.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

You should have gotten an OBD2 compatible kit. These kits work by taking input from the car’s own ECU and adjust the supply of gas accordingly. These are the best kits and are known to work well on Ford and Tata petrols with minimal compromise on performance. And as always, a kit with a pre filter is recommended.

Don’t understand how you went through a few batteries. The 12V DC system doesn’t have anything to do with the running of the car on gas. There might be another underlying issue here, for weak plugs or ignition coils are easily identifiable by the engine stalling at low rpms with a loud bang sound.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 09:49   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You should have gotten an OBD2 compatible kit. These kits work by taking input from the car’s own ECU and adjust the supply of gas accordingly. These are the best kits and are known to work well on Ford and Tata petrols with minimal compromise on performance. And as always, a kit with a pre filter is recommended.

Don’t understand how you went through a few batteries. The 12V DC system doesn’t have anything to do with the running of the car on gas. There might be another underlying issue here, for weak plugs or ignition coils are easily identifiable by the engine stalling at low rpms with a loud bang sound.
It is a Lovato sequential cng kit and I beleive it is obd2 compatible as they tune it with a laptop.

The battery thing is a separate issue as due to stalling so much and me cranking up the engine a few times too many, the battery has to be replaced in a couple of years.

There is no loud sound, and have replaced the spark plugs multiple times which die in a few months anyway if I run it on cng.

I had a Santro and Dzire on closed loop systems and have recently bought another grand i10 nios cng. This is the only piece of kit where I have lost hope.

How can I be sure that this pre filter is applied on my car?
Old 14th August 2021, 21:59   #723
BHPian

I am in a desperate need of help from CNG Gurus right now.

I am planning to purchase a Wagon R 1.2 ZXI (URGENT) and convert it to CNG. I am wondering whether the aftermarket kit will cause any problems or not.

And what will be the cost of a good sequential cng kit?
Which brands to choose and what to look out for?

Please help.
Old 14th August 2021, 22:12   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post

I am planning to purchase a Wagon R 1.2 ZXI (URGENT) and convert it to CNG. I am wondering whether the aftermarket kit will cause any problems or not.

Please help.
I should warn you that even though CNG kits are being fitted in Bs6 cars in aftermarket, there is no approval from government for this, so no endorsement of CNG on paper.

You may get challaned by police officer for illegal fitment or in case of any accident/insurance claim the company can deny the claim.

If you have considered the above cons and still want to get CNG fitted, you should look for a really good installer as the fitment of kit is more important than the brand.

I would suggest to get Lovato as they offer CNG filters in their kits.

Alternatively you can either buy a used BSIV car and get it fitted with CNG legally or you can wait for Swift/Dzire CNG launch.
revvharder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 16:57   #725
BHPian

Any recommendations for a good installer in Delhi/Gurugram for CNG conversion. Looking to convert my 2015 Grand i10 to CNG.
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:47   #726
BHPian

Quote:

Please help.

Not a good plan at alldue to a couple of reasons.
1 you are buying a new car
2 you are buying a wagon r

If you are stuck on this car, go for the 1.0 CNG anyday and get it upgraded aftermarket with necessary accessories. You will keep your warranty, insurance , a better cng kit , better resale etc.

If you were buying some other car or going in for a used car, cng would have made sense.
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:39   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Not a good plan at alldue to a couple of reasons.
1 you are buying a new car
2 you are buying a wagon r

If you are stuck on this car, go for the 1.0 CNG anyday and get it upgraded aftermarket with necessary accessories. You will keep your warranty, insurance , a better cng kit , better resale etc.

If you were buying some other car or going in for a used car, cng would have made sense.
The thing is, I was looking for a fast beater to potter around the city. That 1.2 engine even on CNG would be a hoot to drive considering how light the car is, as opposed to the 1.0 on cng with its measly power output.
Old 26th August 2021, 12:30   #728
BHPian

Quote:
The thing is, I was looking for a fast beater to potter around the city. That 1.2 engine even on CNG would be a hoot to drive considering how light the car is, as opposed to the 1.0 on cng with its measly power output.
Honestly, the pros of 1.0 wagon r, in your case, outweigh the cons by a large margin.
A good 3-year-old pre-owned car with a 1.2l or larger engine makes much more sense, as by fitting a CNG kit, you are losing many of the advantages of a new car.

If you still want to go ahead, the 1.2l K series engine is highly compatible with CNG and will not pose any problems at all.

A good CNG kit will cost close to Rs 40000 for Indian kits like Mijo, M sequent, etc., and around Rs 50000 for Italian kits such as BRC or Lovato.

Contrary to popular belief, all original and branded kits are good. If you want to have the best brand, go for BRC or Lovato.
Rather than focussing on the brand, make sure you go to a government-registered, experienced, and the best installer you can find in your area.

Keep in mind that your car will not be registered with a CNG kit on paper. Most probably, the police will not trouble you for CNG but you will lose your warranty and, insurance companies will deny any future claims.
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:37   #729
BHPian

It seems Type 4 CNG cylinders are nearly there in the markets. While current type 2 cylinders weigh 65-70 kg plus a heavier stand, the type 4 cylinders weigh barely 16kgs. This should stop suspension troubles and handling issues with the heavy weight at rear. Currently they are pricey since they cost 45K vs 18k currently but I'm sure it's gonna reduce with mass production.

Can anyone help me with the legal requirements in a conversion? what all needs to be updated to stay away from cop issues ? RC edit + insurance copy edit is what I know along with a copy of CNG hydrotest report and putting that plate on car body. Is there any list of authorised centres for kit fitting that is to be followed? This link only lists 4 vendors https://www.iglonline.net/english/De...15&prvtyp=site
Old 9th September 2021, 01:00   #730
BHPian

Cross posting my query from the used car thread. Mods - please delete or merge if in violation.

I’m looking for an automatic car with 80% city and 20% highway driving. Daily usage will be 80km. Budget max 6.5L.
Looking primarily for used petrol autos with the intention of retrofitting a CNG kit. Don’t want diesel auto or pre-kitted cng cars in used option.
Secondary option is to go for a new factory fitted cng WagonR. However, I’ll miss out an auto gearbox + safety (used options will be higher category cars).
A close friend is looking to sell his 2017 ecosport (30k on odo) 1.5 petrol auto. It’s a superbly maintained car and I would love to pick it up subject to it being within my budget. However, my biggest concern is fuel average. IMO a petrol auto ecosport will deliver ~8kmph in Pune with the above usage. Is it advisable to retrofit a CNG kit to this particular car? If no, I’ll pass it up. If yes, what are the pros and cons?
Thanks in advance for all answers!
Old 9th September 2021, 05:10   #731
BHPian

Quote:

Please help.
I've owned (now sold) WagonR vxi 2014 model. I had retrofitted cng in 2015 from a reputed & authorized outlet (got this recommendation from Lovato Mumbai office).
I had driven 1.5+ Lakh Kms on cng as my daily office drive was 90 Kms daily.
I've faced lots of issues with performance of car which were there from beginning of kit installation, but were noticeable very much after 50k+ Kms. Problems ranged from poor pickup to vibrations (which kept increasing every year).
There have been many incidents of car stalling at low RPMs in traffic, which is irritating & unsafe to some extent.
Even Lovato people could not solve these issues & told me that these are normal. Then I drove company fitted cng cars but no such issues were observed.
My conclusion, after driving 1.5L+ Kms over 7 years, is to avoid retrofitted cng at all costs.
There are some changes made by OEMs like Maruti when they fit cng kit in their cars (such as valves with High-strength-steels HSS). These are very difficult to get done from outside with good quality finish.
If at all you are looking to go for cng, then go with company fitted models only.
NerdSpeaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:39   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Guys as mentioned in my previous posts, I recently installed sequential CNG kit in my Honda city zx 2006 model. However, I am feeling quite a lot of lag in performance. I wanted to install an advancer however my installer says that it is not compatible with this model. Has anyone installed an advancer in a CNG city zx.
Where did you get install done and cost??
Old 25th September 2021, 02:59   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Where did you get install done and cost??
New SP motors,ghaziabad for 35k
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:39   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Let's see how things unfold.
UPDATE: Got CNG kit installed in my car from Easy Drive in Ghaziabad a couple of days back. Paid 51k for e-green kit with 12 kg cylinder and RC endorsement included.

Installation quality is top-notch. All wires are properly covered and components nicely secured in the engine bay. Their technicians gladly agreed to add coolant connections to the reducer and installed a pre-filter as well (which was a non-negotiable for me).

That said, the boot space in 2nd gen Swift is a joke. It was quite a task to get the rear bench backrest in place after the cylinder was installed. The seat is hooked on either side but bends slightly from the middle portion. On top of that, mine is a Zxi that comes with wider spare wheel (185 section tyre on 5.5J alloy) due to which the plastic trim on the boot door had to be removed to allow it to close properly. It is quite a squeeze back there.

Now I am planning to get a standard 165/80R14 spare to easy off the load from the boot door. And fabricate something on the rear seat backrest hooks to move it 1 inch forward, in a more upright position.

I've done 200 kms so far on CNG and here are my observations (and issues faced):

1. Performance lag is hardly perceptible on the move. The only time power drop is felt is at crawling speeds. AC running or not, car needs a downshift to 1st at places where it'd pull from 2nd gear earlier. I didn't opt for a timing advancer as the lag is very minor.

2. Engine noise goes down when running on CNG as compared to petrol. Fuel efficiency is roughly 50% more as compared to petrol. I'm still on my first CNG fill (7.8 kg) worth 450 bucks even after 200 kms. This is after a 50:50 mix of city and highway usage.

3. Check Engine light popped up yesterday. Installer says it's not a cause of worry if the car is behaving normally. However, it stays lit irrespective of running on petrol or CNG which is a cause of concern. I'll ask the installer to look into this and clear the fault code when I visit him next.

4. I observed a small coolant leak from the coolant connection pipe near the reducer. It was a case of loose hose clamp which I tightened myself. Also, at times, the fuel changeover switch requires 2 taps to switch to CNG. This I'll get checked and replaced under warranty.

5. Car now sits slightly lower from the rear due to the cylinder's weight. I kinda like this look and haven't gone for any buffers or stuff There is no excessive vertical movement on bad roads which was my primary concern. Driving dynamics are largely unaffected.

These are my initial observations. Overall, I'd say that a retrofit is good for old cars with a decent boot space. I see many people going for retrofitment in 1-3 year old cars worth 8 lakhs or more. It is ultimately a gamble and there will be some niggles no matter how careful the installer is. I'll update here at regular intervals as I clock more kms.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:01   #735

I wanted to install CNG in my Ford Fiesta 2007 model in Pune. I heard cng can’t be registered in RC. Does anyone have any idea about this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks