Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 06:41   #736
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 10,961 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmankazi85 View Post
I wanted to install CNG in my Ford Fiesta 2007 model in Pune. I heard cng canít be registered in RC. Does anyone have any idea about this ?
CNG Ďapprovalí in an unnecessarily convoluted process in India. Identical kit, but it is road legal in car A and not in car B. Unfortunately, thatís how it works. Then there is variation in what is allowed and what is not as per local laws as well. Your best bet is to ask around with local CNG installers. They will be the best people to clarify on the RC endorsement.
Shreyans_Jain is online now  
Old 21st January 2022, 09:08   #737
knp
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 239
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Anyone here installed CNG in Gypsy mpfi? I am now commuting to my farm on almost every weekend and it's becoming an expensive affair with high petrol prices for a distance of around 180km two way. Any inputs/suggestions would be of great help? Btw, I have 2000 MGPI Gypsy King.
knp is offline  
Old 30th January 2022, 04:17   #738
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 338
Thanked: 635 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
Anyone here installed CNG in Gypsy mpfi? I am now commuting to my farm on almost every weekend and it's becoming an expensive affair with high petrol prices for a distance of around 180km two way. Any inputs/suggestions would be of great help? Btw, I have 2000 MGPI Gypsy King.


Conventional kit will be installed on your gypsy. This is pretty common in hilly areas like kashipur, nainital.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 30th January 2022 at 04:19.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 21:38   #739
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 36
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Hi
Last month, I installed Motozen sequential kit(without filter and advancer) on my Honda Amaze Cvt (2019). I am facing following issues:
1. In Delhi, full tank (14kg capacity) , which usually takes in 9kg of gas only gives 130-140km of range , with ac on.
2. Pickup is fine , as per cng standard, however if i drive for long in bumper to bumper traffic, pickup decreases drastically. Even after depressing the pedal more than half , it takes almost 2seconds to accelerate. But once traffic is smooth, and speed picks up consistent pace, little tap on accelerator is enough.
3. Instrument cluster details like range , mileage , fuel level etc is not showing correct reading.

I asked my installer if Advancer would solve issue of mileage/pickup, he stated that advancer has more disadvantages than advantages , it would harm the car in long run. He changed the setting of cng kit with laptop twice, once again I took it to different dealer in Karol bagh for setting but to no avail. The other dealer, however, pointed out that timing advancer is both compatible and necessary in ivtec engines.

Kindly advise.
Hemantteen is offline  
Old 13th April 2022, 22:19   #740
BHPian
 
revvharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: DL
Posts: 164
Thanked: 625 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemantteen View Post
Hi
Last month, I installed Motozen sequential kit(without filter and advancer) on my Honda Amaze Cvt (2019). I am facing following issues:
1. In Delhi, full tank (14kg capacity) , which usually takes in 9kg of gas only gives 130-140km of range , with ac on.
2. Pickup is fine , as per cng standard, however if i drive for long in bumper to bumper traffic, pickup decreases drastically. Even after depressing the pedal more than half , it takes almost 2seconds to accelerate. But once traffic is smooth, and speed picks up consistent pace, little tap on accelerator is enough.
3. Instrument cluster details like range , mileage , fuel level etc is not showing correct reading.

I asked my installer if Advancer would solve issue of mileage/pickup, he stated that advancer has more disadvantages than advantages , it would harm the car in long run. He changed the setting of cng kit with laptop twice, once again I took it to different dealer in Karol bagh for setting but to no avail. The other dealer, however, pointed out that timing advancer is both compatible and necessary in ivtec engines.

Kindly advise.
1. 9 kg is normal for 14 kg capacity CNG tank, in winters it will take around 1 kg extra and it also depends on the pressure at the pump.

2. There should be a very minute difference between CNG and Petrol, as yours is a CVT it requires high level of expertise to fine tune as compared to manuals. Maybe something is wrong with the tune and causing the lag in CVT during traffics or it could be some small issue which can be rectified.

3. It is an issue with Honda cars, if i remember correctly some modification is done to the petrol level sensor in order to correct this issue and same modification was done by Eazy Drive Auto Services to rectify this problem in Honda City too.

Modification in EGR Flange is done in order to smoothen out the initial gear changes in CVT.

As for the advancer, I-Vtec engine is compatible with advancer but it is not used as the power is sufficient as compared to the power provided by 1.2 L Kappa in i-20 in which an advancer is a must. So don't worry about the advancer installation

CNG Filter is recommended as the Gas at the filling station is adulterated with some sort of oil so the filter helps in catching that oil.

I would suggest you to visit Easy Drive at either of their locations, Mr. Pramod is highly knowledgeable as one of my relatives got their Creta fitted with CNG. He can rectify most of your issues and also he can advise if you can install a filter in the existing kit.

Also would suggest you to run the car on petrol after every 2 to 3 CNG refills for around 20 to 30 kms.

http://www.edcng.com/home

PS I am in no way associated with Easy Drive Services or Mr. Pramod.

Last edited by revvharder : 13th April 2022 at 22:48. Reason: Rectified response in 3.
revvharder is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 01:21   #741
BHPian
 
cryshnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Delhi
Posts: 29
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

I have a weird problem of late. Whenever I fill CNG from a private cng pump whose machines are more powerful, the tank fills to over 8kg. But whenever this happens, the car fails to switch to CNG. It immediately switches back to petrol. I need to keep trying over and and over and struggle to make it work on CNG, losing considerable amount of mileage on petrol until the CNG levels decrease by about 2kg. From COCO pumps of IGL, I don't get this problem because with their weak dispensers, the reading goes to full by the time 6.5 kg of CNG is filled in it. The car works flawlessly on CNG in such situations. Now each time I can't queue up at one of these COCO pumps that are always packed with tempos and trucks who create a havoc over there and the employees are mean and refuse to take payments on credit card.
The friendly neighbourhood mechanic I go to is somehow obsessed with trying to keep my costs per service minimal and said there is no need of changing any MAP sensor. But this problem keeps persisting and his hack attempts only temporarily fix the problem. However online forums say I will need a new MAP sensor.
I am getting so tired of this problem that I at times opt for public transport to commute to work.
cryshnon is offline  
Old 28th July 2022, 06:51   #742
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ambala Cantt
Posts: 15
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

Hi BHPians,
I am writing this post to seek your advice/suggestions/opinions on converting my beter car to CNG.
Little background- We have a 2006 MS WagonR 1.1L 16 valve as our first family car. My Dad got it in 2008 at 48000Kms and as of today, the ODO stands at
100K Kms. This being the first car, has a lot of sentiments attached to it. It was mainly used as a highway car, but last year i got myself a TATA Altroz XT(P) which now handles all of the Highway duties and WagonR being now used in city as a beater car.
My father has a love and hate relation ship with it. He wants to sell it as he doesn't want to pay insurance and maintenance of wagonR and hates its mileage from day 1 (the most we got was 10.5 kmpl on highway) but couldn't gather courage to handover its keys to another man.
I work for a US based MNC and now, as offices are being open, i need to go there atleast 2 times a week (130 kms roundtrip). my shift timing being such that i drive for 35 kms in B to B traffic when going to office and have the entire highway to myself on return journey.
I am thinking of converting my WagonR to CNG so that its cheaper to operate.
i want suggestions on things like
1. Does it makes sense to convert a 2006 petrol car to CNG (Am i being crazy)
2. What kind of mileage i can expect.
3. What kind of compromises should i be ready to make other than pickup
4. what will be the cost of conversion ?

WagonR is maintained well mechanically. It gets services every year even if we have driven it just 500 kms since last service.
I recently put in new steering column, suspension, battery, sparkplugs and fixed rusted floor patches.

Please enlighten my path Team BHP gurus.
Also, feel free to call me crazy since i drove 600 kms roundtrip within 60 hours (this includes darshan at golden temple, wagha border), reached home at 1 in afternoon at attended office at 7:00 pm same day.

Attaching some pics of WagonR (exterior has lots of dents since My DAD, mom, me and younger brother have used it to master the skill of driving)

Attaching a Bonus pic of MAYA (my Altroz during one of my many weekend trips to rishikesh last week)
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on CNG Conversion-altroz.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20220728_060149.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20220728_060234.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20220728_061627.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-img_20220728_061654.jpg  

GuyBurnsFuel is offline  
Old 28th July 2022, 07:49   #743
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 3,280
Thanked: 5,744 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

I own a 2004 WagonR with the same F10D motor and I can say with confidence that I get atleast 12kmpl. In summer with loads of traffic as well as idling with AC on. The 10.5 kpl that you say is the most you have ever got, sounds weird. I do not drive my car economically either it is mostly wrung by the neck every time I am behind the wheel. To top it off my car has done over 2 lac kms as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 01:08   #744
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ambala Cantt
Posts: 15
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I own a 2004 WagonR with the same F10D motor and I can say with confidence that I get atleast 12kmpl. In summer with loads of traffic as well as idling with AC on. The 10.5 kpl that you say is the most you have ever got, sounds weird. I do not drive my car economically either it is mostly wrung by the neck every time I am behind the wheel. To top it off my car has done over 2 lac kms as well.
I have tried with multiple tank full to tank full, i have never got 12 kmpl. I am a sedate driver when i drive wagonR
GuyBurnsFuel is offline  
Old 31st July 2022, 08:49   #745
BHPian
 
self_driven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Delhi
Posts: 878
Thanked: 2,123 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBurnsFuel View Post
My father has a love and hate relation ship with it. He wants to sell it as he doesn't want to pay insurance and maintenance of wagonR and hates its mileage from day 1 (the most we got was 10.5 kmpl on highway)
Wow, 10 kmpl is Fortuner territory!

Quote:
I work for a US based MNC and now, as offices are being open, i need to go there atleast 2 times a week (130 kms roundtrip). my shift timing being such that i drive for 35 kms in B to B traffic when going to office and have the entire highway to myself on return journey.
130 kms say 10-12 times a month equals to 1300-1500 kms. With price gap between petrol and CNG decreasing gradually, your running doesn't justify a CNG conversion.

Quote:
1. Does it makes sense to convert a 2006 petrol car to CNG (Am i being crazy)
2. What kind of mileage i can expect.
3. What kind of compromises should i be ready to make other than pickup
4. what will be the cost of conversion ?
1. No, unless you plan to do 60-70k kms in the next 2 years and sell it off.
2. Around 25 km/kg on your office run with a light foot.
3. Think of it as 1 person sleeping in the boot all the time.
4. Here in NCR, at least 38-40k.

The WagonR, now 16-year old, has seen limited usage through most part of its life. I'd say let it continue as a beater and put your Altroz to use for office runs. It is a modern vehicle. If you drive sedately for those 100 kms of your office run, it will easily return 17-18 kmpl overall.

Last edited by self_driven : 31st July 2022 at 08:50.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 11:39   #746
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ambala Cantt
Posts: 15
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

The WagonR, now 16-year old, has seen limited usage through most part of its life. I'd say let it continue as a beater and put your Altroz to use for office runs. It is a modern vehicle. If you drive sedately for those 100 kms of your office run, it will easily return 17-18 kmpl overall.[/quote]
Thanks, @self_driven. That helps to put things into perspective.
GuyBurnsFuel is offline  
Old 31st July 2022, 14:35   #747
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 3,280
Thanked: 5,744 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBurnsFuel View Post
I have tried with multiple tank full to tank full, i have never got 12 kmpl. I am a sedate driver when i drive wagonR
Perhaps you are upshifting too early and lugging the motor? It is just as bad if not worse than revving it out. No offense just speculating since being an owner of an F10D 2004 WagonR, I am really shocked by the mileage you are claiming. Could even be poor fuel quality from shady petrol pump operators, or even as simple as bad spark plugs. I am confident that if I were to drive my car sedately I would get 14kmpl instead of the 12kmpl that I do now. Remember I am getting 12kmpl with loads of idle time, aircon on and literally valve tappets that work their butt off to get me from point a to point b
IshaanIan is offline  
Old 31st July 2022, 14:44   #748
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ambala Cantt
Posts: 15
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on CNG Conversion for MS WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Perhaps you are upshifting too early and lugging the motor? It is just as bad if not worse than revving it out. No offense just speculating since being an owner of an F10D 2004 WagonR, I am really shocked by the mileage you are claiming. Could even be poor fuel quality from shady petrol pump operators, or even as simple as bad spark plugs. I am confident that if I were to drive my car sedately I would get 14kmpl instead of the 12kmpl that I do now. Remember I am getting 12kmpl with loads of idle time, aircon on and literally valve tappets that work their butt off to get me from point a to point b
Could be any reason, this car was used by 4 people to hone their driving skills. WagonR is now retired from highway duties and is limited to temple and grocery runs. I try to upshift between 2-2.5K RPM on my Altroz, so far i am getting 15+ kmpl with AC. WagonR has served us good for 14 years and still going strong. Whenever i post a 10K kms review of my Altroz, i will add some points on what things WagonR does better than altroz
GuyBurnsFuel is offline  
Old 5th August 2022, 11:34   #749
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Bahadurgarh(NCR
Posts: 31
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Greetings to all
This thread has been very helpful and has concreted our decision to put CNG kit in our 5 yr old 65k run MS Celerio. It is our primary beater car.
I have gathered all the information about spark plugs,throttle body cleaning etc.
I am currently zeroing on Tara Dutt Automobile and Sanbhav Corporation as my CNG installer. How would you all rate them?

Also please can you confirm the price of CNG Conversion that is retailing nowadays?

Best Part is that due to some mistake in by the RTO our RC already shows our vehicle as CNG/PETROL.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 18:29   #750
BHPian
 
TB16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 206
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Greetings to all
I am currently zeroing on Tara Dutt Automobile and Sanbhav Corporation as my CNG installer. How would you all rate them?
Tara Dutt has installed CNG kits on 5 of my cars since 2009.

1. 04' Santro Xing XS (Installed at 40k km, Sold at 85k). Conversion done in 2009.
2. 05' Honda City ZX (Installed at 35k km, Sold at 85k). Conversion done in 2012
3. 14' Hyundai I20 Sportz (Installed at 12k km, Still with me at 130k). Conversion done in 2015.
4. 15' Honda Amaze E (Installed at 10k km, Sold at 115k). Conversion done in 2016.
5. 12' Suzuki Kizashi (Installed at 25k km, Still with me at 63k). Conversion done in 2020

I will definitely recommend him. His rates are a bit on the higher side but since my experience has been quite good, I'll get my future conversions from him only.
TB16 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks