Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 16:45   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Need some advice here

Our K Series DZire Petrol has a Sequential CNG kit that was fitted sometime last year. It was working fine till last week.

Now the CEL light randomly appears, the car refuses to accelerate sometimes and also stalls at time. Since I am not in the city, I havent seen it myself and this is all I got from dad.

Both the CNG installer and the Maruti Suzuki guys are unable to find the problem. They say they have checked the ECU logs and the sensors, and everything is ok.

Any pointers?

Thanks
Idling issue could be due to dirty throttle body. Was it cleaned? Also a new air filter will smoothen things up a bit. Get the coils and spark plugs checked out from Maruti. Does the CEL comes on even in petrol mode?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th May 2018 at 17:14.
Old 13th May 2018, 22:14   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Idling issue could be due to dirty throttle body. Was it cleaned? Also a new air filter will smoothen things up a bit. Get the coils and spark plugs checked out from Maruti. Does the CEL comes on even in petrol mode?
Thanks. Will forward this to dad and get the response. I am hoping that the sparkplugs and filters were changed and the trottle body cleaned (at least) as it just came back from a routine service a month back.
Old 19th May 2018, 04:48   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Now the CEL light randomly appears, the car refuses to accelerate sometimes and also stalls at time.
Your car needs new spark plugs most probably.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 13:27   #634
BHPian

So the airfilter was replaced along with Spark plugs, and the throttle body cleaned. But the CEL light still came up randomly and the car refused to accelerate. A quick restart of te car and everything was normal again.

A technician said the ECM may need to be replaced. For now the CNG kit has been disconnected to see if there is any issue on Petrol.
Old 20th May 2018, 00:50   #635
BHPian

Quote:
So the airfilter was replaced along with Spark plugs, and the throttle body cleaned. But the CEL light still came up randomly and the car refused to accelerate. A quick restart of te car and everything was normal again.

A technician said the ECM may need to be replaced. For now the CNG kit has been disconnected to see if there is any issue on Petrol.
Sorry to hear about this Akshay, I had a similar problem in my santro with cng kit (conventional). In my case the spark plugs were replaced and the problem was solved.
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:07   #636

CNG Sequential Kit to Hyundai Verna Petrol Automatic

Hi,

Is it advisable to install CNG Sequential Kit to Hyundai Verna Petrol Automatic Car which is 5 years old and out of warranty?

Shubham Gupta
about.me/guptashubham123
Old 25th May 2018, 09:39   #637

Hi,

Getting CNG fitted in 5 year old Verna should not be a problem if the car has not been driven in access of 50k kms. I hope it's a petrol one.
3 things you should ensure

1, only get the high quality CNG kit fitted ,n don't compromise on the retrofitter i.e.chose the best n reputated one.

2. Only get CNG installed if the condition of your vehicle is good.

3. You are Not planning to sell in near future, as you would loose the money you invested in the cng kit, n CNG fitted cars do not get good selling price.
dearindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 16:59   #638

LPG gas kit in Chennai for Swift ZXi 2006

Mod note: Please use search feature to continue in an existing thread, before opening a new one. Thanks.

I am considering investing on an LPG kit for my car which I can use for city traffic. I keep getting mixed reviews when it comes to LPG kits and am not able to get to a decision. Lovato kits cost anywhere between 20k-25k and swag kits are a little cheaper than Lovato. One of the dealers I know say, they can calibrate the kit to match my engine's petrol mileage and efficiency. I wonder if that is even possible. My car currently gives around 10kmpl which I guess is quite low considering the fuel price. So looking for alternate options.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2018 at 17:12. Reason: Please use search feature to continue in an existing thread, before opening a new one. Thanks.
Old 11th June 2018, 18:42   #639
Senior - BHPian

From my experience with LPG conversions and ownership, I would advise to go for Lovato kits. They are extremely reliable and quality is best in the market. Sequential LPG kits can be tuned to match the performance with Petrol, you just need a good installer. I see that you own a 2006 Swift with a FE of 10kmpl, so you can expect a mileage of 8-9kmpl on LPG.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 22:38   #640
BHPian

I have been using BRC sequential gaskits on 3 of my cars and the installer is right about the tuning part. BRC sequential lot should cost you around 35k but it is totally worth it. One of my cars has done more than 1lakh kms on this gaskit and I have only good things to say about it.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:43   #641
Senior - BHPian

Hello members,

We are in a dilemma right now.
We have two cars in the house - Eon 800cc (7 month old) and Swift 1.2 (4 year old) - both of which are running on petrol.

The area where we live in has 3-4 CNG filling stations in 5 km radius and most petrol cars are already reaping benefits of CNG. Gas is available at Rs. 43/kg while petrol costs Rs. 77/litre.

Our Swift delivers 13 km/l overall FE while Eon gives 19 km/l overall FE. Both are driven with a light foot, majorly for city drives, on fairly open roads with less traffic. Our Eon does 1100 kms monthly and Swift does 500 kms monthly.

We have 3 options:

1. Fit CNG in Eon. Its running would go up to 1300 kms a month while Swift's running would come down to 400 kms a month.
2. Fit CNG in Swift. Its running would go up to 800 kms a month while Eon's running comes down to 1000 kms a month.
3. Do not fit CNG at all as it will cost us around Rs. 50k in either of the cars, thus outweighing any advantages for first few years.

A major problem with option 1 is that Eon is already underpowered with AC, and CNG will further kill whatever performance it offers. But financially, fitting CNG in Eon seems better as it is used for more kms every month. On the other hand, Swift gives us very poor FE in summers and fitting CNG will take away the heart-ache we feel while filling Rs. 2700 worth of petrol to travel 400 odd kms. This leads us to use an inconvenient cab everytime we head out for city runs as cab travel often turns out to be cheaper!

Our local installer (though we won't get the kit from him) says Swift 1.2 is more successful on CNG than Eon as there would be no performance loss. He says Swift will give 18-20 kms and Eon will give 24-25 kms on a kg of CNG. How true or realistic is this? We were expecting 16-18 kms for Swift and 20-22 kms for Eon after CNG.

Please advice as to which option makes more sense in our case. If any more information is needed, I will provide. It would be great if someone could do a quick math to show if there will be any gains in the long run or not. Swift will be with us for the next 7 years (its running is expected to be around 1500 kms a month in the last 4 years) while Eon will go in the next 4-5 years.

Thank you.
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:29   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
We are in a dilemma right now.
Prepared a quick Excel sheet that I had made when I was in the same dilemma:
Advice on CNG Conversion-screen-shot-20180723-12.20.42-pm.png

Option 1: EON CNG
Pros: Makes most sense as it has a recovery period of 18 months ~ 23,400 km later.
Cons: Prepare for a 20-30% drop in power. Not to mention the boot space going as well.
With a 4 more years of service you would save money on 30 months roughly.

Option 2: Swift CNG
Pro: 1.2L engine is easily converted to CNG and very less power loss.
Cons: Recovery time is 34 months ~ 27,200 km.
With 7 more years, and same km per month, you can save money on 50 months after recovering the cost of CNG.

Option 3: The same 50k invested would give you a yearly interest of Rs 5,000 minimum which is about 5% of your yearly fuel expense. Also consider added maintenance expense on account of CNG fitting.

In my case, I simply started using public transport and using the Abarth for the highways mostly and the Spark for local commutes. But do you realistically see keeping the Swift for a total of 11 years? I would advise you to maximise the usage of one car (which has CNG) and sell it off in the next 3-4 years. But frankly, doing less than 2k kms on a retrofitted CNG car is not worth it IMHO. You will never get a factory tuned spec. Aftermarket kits a good, but if you see your usage increasing on CNG, its best to get an Alto CNG (Eon replacement) or WagonR CNG (Swift replacement).

Last edited by blackwasp : 23rd July 2018 at 12:35.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 00:27   #643
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the excel sheet blackwasp. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
But frankly, doing less than 2k kms on a retrofitted CNG car is not worth it IMHO.
You are right. Honestly, going by the recovery period and savings (and lost opportunity cost of 50k investment), I don't think it makes much sense to go for CNG as our combined monthly running is around 1800 kms only.

What we'll try to do instead is increase the usage of Eon, clock some 50k kms on it and exchange it for some well-equipped car. It is already quite generous in terms of petrol FE at 18-20 kmpl. Messing with a good functioning car (be it Eon or Swift) is too high a risk considering the actual savings with CNG retrofit.

Quote:
But do you realistically see keeping the Swift for a total of 11 years?
Haha, the Swift is a keeper. It has been cared for and pampered like a baby. We generally keep our primary cars (Eon is a beater) for 10 years and keep them in absolute top-notch condition. So, I don't see the Swift going anywhere till the next 6-7 years.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:11   #644
BHPian

I am considering the purchase of a Verna automatic, which I am getting for a good price. The only hitch is, the owner has converted the car to CNG (he says 8 months ago), and I would much rather have the boot space since my running does not justify CNG.

How feasible is it to convert the car back to pure petrol, does this conversion and reconversion affect the engine, and also how costly would this be?

Will the engine (it is a 2015 model with 28k on the odo) be back to its original condition or will it always carry the effects of these modifications?
Old 14th August 2018, 18:35   #645
Senior - BHPian

Just came back after installing CNG kit in my Honda City Automatic 2009. This sequential kit is of Tomasetto brand. Costed around 45k with RTO inculsion. Could only fill 3 kg of gas as the pressure was low at the pump. Have addressed a few issues like the car is now shifting gears at 500 rpm higher than earlier. Maybe it needs throttle body calibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on CNG Conversion-1534251885822.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-1534251905057.jpg  

Advice on CNG Conversion-1534251921178.jpg  

mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks