Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 18:42   #196
BHPian

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I received a pair of xyluxtec 35W AC single beam HID 4300k for 4600rs + 250 customs shipped from aliexpress. Currently they are doing their duty in my Ninja 300. The ballasts are of very good quality, even the installer noted this.
Rs 4600 for two H7 HID bulbs and two ballasts? How did you go about paying the Rs 250 customs charges?

Could you please share the link of the item you bought?
Old 13th July 2015, 18:54   #197
BHPian

My trusted accessories shop in Bangalore promises me HID kit plus projectors for my Beat in just Rs 4800. He says that it is of Taiwanese make. Any suggestions? How can he provide it so cheap?
Old 13th July 2015, 21:50   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
My trusted accessories shop in Bangalore promises me HID kit plus projectors for my Beat in just Rs 4800. He says that it is of Taiwanese make. Any suggestions? How can he provide it so cheap?
Will have El cheapo ballasts. The projector lens would not be optically correct. Basically these would be the discarded pieces which these guys pick up at cheap rates and sell.

I would suggest stay away
Old 14th July 2015, 10:57   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I did a Fx-R mod on my car recently,this was the break-up

Projectors (Fx-R)-8000
Ballasts (Hylux 35w 3yr warranty)-6000
Harness-3000

I've not included bulbs,shrouds,adapter and the likes.This is what a good setup will set you back by. Kindly stay away from a kit which altogether costs you only 5k or so. You will probably get projectors with such bad optics you wish you'd have stuck with 60/55 halogens.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:37   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Regular HIDs are 35W, so the heat won't be the problem. But these conversions are illegal , and most HID bulbs are designed for projector optics, which in reflector optics like the Honda, will not work well. The beam shape and focus will be a hit-n-miss, and will likely cause lot of glare to others even on low beam.

If you're going with HID, get a projector+HID kit.

The Ciaz comes with H7 projectors for low beam. Had a question for the experts : Will a H7 HID conversion kit ( say 4300 K ) give better illumination as compared to the stock bulbs ? I am looking at something like an Osram kit.

Assuming , a HID / projector set up wouldn't be a pain for oncoming traffic
Old 28th July 2015, 23:45   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The Ciaz comes with H7 projectors for low beam. Had a question for the experts : Will a H7 HID conversion kit ( say 4300 K ) give better illumination as compared to the stock bulbs ? I am looking at something like an Osram kit.

Assuming , a HID / projector set up wouldn't be a pain for oncoming traffic
Definitely better than halogen bulbs. The main thing is how closely aligned the arc of the H7 HID capsule is to the H7 halogen. While in reflector optics, this placement is crucial for the beam pattern and focus to align correctly, with projectors I think the difference is less , but present nonetheless. After-market kits refit a holder as per halogen bulb type being replaced, as native HID designs are D1/D2/D3/D4 and not corresponding to any halogen bulb specification.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 09:58   #202
BANNED

@Ricci; Correct, but remember in an HID the discharge zone is longitudinal while in a Halogen it is transverse. So an exact match is physically impossible. Yes, the location of the discharge zone does matter.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 10:49   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Definitely better than halogen bulbs. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Ricci; Correct, but remember in an HID the discharge zone is longitudinal while in a Halogen it is transverse. So an exact match is physically impossible. Yes, the location of the discharge zone does matter.
Thanks ! So

1- is it useful to change to HID ? Driving in rains , fog ? Most of my long drives are in the hills and in the night , hence headlights are important for me .
2- Is it a simple plug n play( no cutting of wires , no relays ,..) ? Assuming , I will go for the Osram kit . Any other brands to look at ?
3-This wont blind oncoming traffic ?
Old 29th July 2015, 20:03   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
No, even the HID arc is longitudinal as with most halogens ( H1, H4, H7, H11) - H3 is the only transverse filament on , I think. The difference is the size and spread of the arc vs the filament. The HID arc apparently spreads more, and thus must be used with projector to prevent stray light escaping. Halogen filament is more tightly controlled and even. Probably a better approximation of a point source than HID, but I suppose engineers must take into account the average area of the light source rather than use the theoretical point source, to design optics.

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-hid_vs_halogen_filament.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-filamentarc.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Thanks ! So

1- is it useful to change to HID ? Driving in rains , fog ? Most of my long drives are in the hills and in the night , hence headlights are important for me .
2- Is it a simple plug n play( no cutting of wires , no relays ,..) ? Assuming , I will go for the Osram kit . Any other brands to look at ?
3-This wont blind oncoming traffic ?
Yes, but stick to 4300K or lower. Some kits offer 4100K or 3800K capsules.
Not exactly plug and play, but most kits give you all you need in terms of wiring, capsule and ballast. You might just need zip ties or double sided tape to stick the ballast and route wires, but it can be done without splicing OE wires so you can return to stock if need be.

As for blinding traffic, high beams certainly will. Low beam depends on how well designed the projector is and if it's installed correctly ( focus adjustment ). There are good aftermarket projectors with good beam shape/cut off that don't cause glare, but I can't vouch for the cheaper ones, that's something you find out after installing. FXR , Osram and Philips kits tend to be good, plus another brand or two I can't recall right now.
Old 30th July 2015, 19:27   #205
BANNED

The HID discharge in in UV so it is the fluorescent phosphor which gives the visible colour we see.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:56   #206
BHPian

Hi,
I am thinking about an HID conversion in my XUV. I saw the Osram HID Conversion kit in snapdeal for 11,000.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/osra...arch:XUV%20HID

1) What does the H7 means? I also see H1 and H11.
2) Any one know any dealers/suppliers in Bangalore/Kochi where I can get a better rate than this? Any good brands (not just Osram) will do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th August 2015, 16:21   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Hi,
I am thinking about an HID conversion in my XUV. I saw the Osram HID Conversion kit in snapdeal for 11,000.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/osra...arch:XUV%20HID

1) What does the H7 means? I also see H1 and H11.
2) Any one know any dealers/suppliers in Bangalore/Kochi where I can get a better rate than this? Any good brands (not just Osram) will do.

Thanks in advance.
Hello vjjustin

H1 , h7 , h11 are are HID but have different coupler design which fit in the respective headlights and projectors . Hyundai verna 4s projectors can be fitted with HID 9500 version , i hope you get it .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:29   #208
BHPian

Hi Guys, need some advise. I'm taking the delivery of my new age xuv 500 in 2 days. I've read about a lot of xuv owners complain about the poor stock low beam performance. Can someone suggest a swap job just on the low beam, which wouldn't void my warranty and would provide a satisfactory throw, illumination etc. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 23rd August 2015, 16:35   #209
NKR
BHPian

[quote=vjjustin;3783416],[quote=Gentle Giant;3784978]

I have installed the Osram Xenarc in my BMW X1. For the low beams as well as the cornering/driving lamps. The Osram Xenarc are the OEM fit for BMW X1s. I am very satisfied with the performance. You may try it out. Regarding H1/H11/H7 etc please refer your car's manual as to the type of bulb that you are supposed to use for high beam, low beam etc. The OSRAM site also gives you an idea of what bulb to use where.

While converting from halogens to xenons please be sure to have the D2R type of xenons and not D2S if you don't have projectors. D2S is for projectors and D2R is for halogen sockets without projectors. D2S if used in halogen sockets without projectors will cause glare. D2R is painted/coated so as not to cause glare.
NKR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 23:32   #210
BHPian

Thanks for your input NKR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks