Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2016, 12:38   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What did I say, no projector => blinding oncoming traffic.
if your setup is causing glare then a 55W setup will cause more of it. A projector confines the beam, hence less glare. My son has 35W HID in a projector and the beam is very good, and localized - no glare.
Thanks. That makes it clear. Apologies for misunderstanding your quote.
Old 20th January 2016, 14:48   #287
BANNED

Hello @ Safari_Beast

Thank you very much for the instant reply. Kindly enlighten me more about the same. Does fitting osram 9005 4200 K HID conversion kit voids warranty ? And what is the total cost of the conversion kit? I am assuming that 4200 k is the price is it so. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Also how is the Light cut? Is it sharp enough? How is the tint of light? Is it yellow, white or a slight or heavy blue tint ? I am not at all happy with the stock bulbs in the projector they do not do the duty when I approach ongoing traffic at night and sometimes I am completely blinded by the lights and can not see my left side on the road ahead. That can prove fatal to me or to someone else. And I think that the Xenon bulbs you have mentioned have high and low beam both. Is it so ?

Its just a wish you can ignore. I once encountered a Mercedes B class. It had such a commendable lights that when he used to give dipper it seemed as if Sky light is flashing behind me. I wish I too have a such a light arrangement but don't know how to go for it but deep down i know it would cost a bomb to install such a light system. So, for now just want to get a sharp high intensity beam which should be accurate and does not blind the oncoming traffic at low beam. At the same time high beam should be good enough to light the road ahead fully. I can see there are members in this thread who to a novice and lay man like me are big experts in this area so i would love and appreciate much if i can get some inputs from them too.

Regards

Mod Note: Please punctuate your post. Else its difficult to read

Last edited by ampere : 20th January 2016 at 17:42. Reason: Post Formatted
honey_starhoney is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2016, 18:19   #288
BANNED

[quote=honey_starhoney;3894658]Thank you very much for the instant reply. Kindly enlighten me more about the same. Does fitting osram 9005 4200 K HID conversion kit voids warranty ? And what is the total cost of the conversion kit? I am assuming that 4200 k is the price is it so. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. /QUOTE]
Quite frankly any deviation, howsoever insignificant or irrelevant can be used by a dealer to refuse a warranty repair, depends on the dealer and corporate philosophy. If you write to the corporate, the first thing they do is to send it to the dealer, so (almost) back to square one.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 19:03   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Does fitting osram 9005 4200 K HID conversion kit voids warranty ?
As sgiitk mentioned, you make any changes to the stock car (including music system), dealers can refuse warranty. However, if you have a good relationship with the dealership, they can be co-operative.

Quote:
I once encountered a Mercedes B class. It had such a commendable lights that when he used to give dipper it seemed as if Sky light is flashing behind me. I wish I too have a such a light arrangement but don't know how to go for it but deep down i know it would cost a bomb to install such a light system.
Not necessarily. If you go the retrofit way, you can get good BiXenon projectors for less than 20K. I recently got BiXenons fit to my Polo GT TSi for 24K which included 6K for new set of headlight assemblies. The BiXenon projectors cost just 18K. But retrofitting BiXenons will require some careful planning to select the right projectors, selecting the right installer etc.

Upgrading to HID kit will be a balance between original headlights and BiXenons - will provide better performance than stock lights, and will be less complex in installation.

Quote:
How is the tint of light? Is it yellow, white or a slight or heavy blue tint ?
A 4200K bulb would give you light similar to daylight. The number 4200K is the color temperature. As this number goes high, the light becomes white and then blue. 5000K would be white and 6000K would be bluish. Though white light is good for dry weather, they do not offer good visibility in rain. 4200K would be good for both dry weather and in rain.

Quote:
And I think that the Xenon bulbs you have mentioned have high and low beam both. Is it so ?
Mostly, the stock halogen projectors will only have low beam. If you upgrade with a HID kit, you will be just replacing the low beam with HID. High beam will still remain halogens. If you want BiXenons - both high and low beams in the same projectors, then you will have to go for a retrofit.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 21:58   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Hello @ Safari_Beast

Thank you very much for the instant reply. Kindly enlighten me more about the same. Does fitting osram 9005 4200 K HID conversion kit voids warranty ? And what is the total cost of the conversion kit? I am assuming that 4200 k is the price is it so. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Also how is the Light cut? Is it sharp enough? How is the tint of light? Is it yellow, white or a slight or heavy blue tint ? I am not at all happy with the stock bulbs in the projector they do not do the duty when I approach ongoing traffic at night and sometimes I am completely blinded by the lights and can not see my left side on the road ahead. That can prove fatal to me or to someone else. And I think that the Xenon bulbs you have mentioned have high and low beam both. Is it so ?

Its just a wish you can ignore. I once encountered a Mercedes B class. It had such a commendable lights that when he used to give dipper it seemed as if Sky light is flashing behind me. I wish I too have a such a light arrangement but don't know how to go for it but deep down i know it would cost a bomb to install such a light system. So, for now just want to get a sharp high intensity beam which should be accurate and does not blind the oncoming traffic at low beam. At the same time high beam should be good enough to light the road ahead fully. I can see there are members in this thread who to a novice and lay man like me are big experts in this area so i would love and appreciate much if i can get some inputs from them too.

Regards

Mod Note: Please punctuate your post. Else its difficult to read
So yours is a 4S Verna, the one which comes with projector low beams and reflector high beam, right? Please confirm.

graaja has answered most of your questions. Osram kit would cost around 9-10k and will be a direct replacement (but some modifications to the wiring harness may be required, now it is upto your installer if he cuts the wire or changes the harness of projector/HID side). Cutoff would be sharper as the intensity below the cutoff line would be much better than stock halogens. 6000k would be white with a light blue-ish tint, super drool! For overall functionality, opt for 4300k.

HID bulbs for reflector have high and low beam option, with a motor built on the bulb base. For projectors, HID has a fixed beam and the shield in the projector decides high/low beam. If both beams are integrated in your stock projector, you will be able to use the replacement HID as a bi-xenon. Otherwise it will be a low beam only.

For your Merc-like requirement, a bi-xenon projector retrofit would be the answer. But opening up your stock headlights won't be a good option as you already have OE projectors. Try with HID upgrade for projector and you will see decent results. For more light around the front area close to the car, you can go for HID in foglamps also.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 23:36   #291
BANNED

Thanks a ton members I am much obliged by the apt replies. I am attaching a picture of the headlamps my car is equipped with and I think its projector has a inbuilt shutter which shifts between high beam and low beam and there is a single bulb inside it correct me if am wrong on this as I once took it out to have a look. So I am assuming that a single HID bulb would fit into these headlamps and should do the work for both high and low beam. Kindly project some more light here worthy learned members. Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Best Xenon HID conversion kit-hyundaiverna4s-headlamps.jpg  

honey_starhoney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:05   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton members I am much obliged by the apt replies. I am attaching a picture of the headlamps my car is equipped with and I think its projector has a inbuilt shutter which shifts between high beam and low beam and there is a single bulb inside it correct me if am wrong on this as I once took it out to have a look. So I am assuming that a single HID bulb would fit into these headlamps and should do the work for both high and low beam. Kindly project some more light here worthy learned members. Regards
I dont know much about how dual beam is done in a halogen projector - whether there is a single filament bulb like H7 and a shutter that opens up for high beam, or the bulb has dual filament like H4. More experienced members can answer this.

If the projector in your car has a shutter that opens up for high beam and a single filament bulb, then yes, you could get a BiXenon like function with a HID bulb.

But one important thing to remember is that putting a HID bulb inside a halogen projector may improve performance of the headlights, but may not be 100% perfect. The hot spot in both the halogen and HID bulbs have different positions and characteristics and hence the projector designed for one type of bulb will not have the same performance for the other type of bulb. So, when you put a HID bulb inside a halogen projector, you may not get the same performance as you would get with a HID bulb inside a HID projector. Consider this point as well if you plan to upgrade.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:28   #293
BHPian

Quote:
The headlights have a single projector with both beams in one.

Now if you can check, take out the halogen bulb and post a picture of it here. The idea is to physically see if it has 2 filaments (like reflector halogens) or a single filament. If it has 2 filaments, then the projector might not be having a shutter and installing an HID in this case would mean that you will not get high beam function altogether (not at all recommended). Bi xenon HID move quite a bit (bulb filament remains same, position/angle changes) when you switch from high/low and will not be fit inside your projector (and results can't be predicted even if it fits).

Next thing is to physically check the projector from outside (with a phone camera flash) and see if you can spot a spring like structure in the exact centre (look straight into it, of course with projector off). That will be the solenoid and you can swap the bulb (would be single filament for sure then) with HID (D2S or something and 35w or so, check in the manual or bulb base). If you cannot spot the spring like structure, you must not do an HID upgrade. Changing to more powerful halogens (very rare to find for projectors) will be the only solution. Additional wiring kit will be required.

You can also try HID in foglamps. They will be a good upgrade over stock foglamps but won't be a match for headlight HIDs as throw will be very limited.

Have a look at this thread for pictures of light beam with upgraded halogens :

http://<br /> http://www.theautomoti...MxfHQc-g<br />
swift_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:29   #294
BANNED

Thank you very much members. The inputs would help me a lot in deciding the appropriate lights for Verna 4s. Warm Regards
Old 21st January 2016, 11:36   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Projectors dont have H4 bulbs/HIDs as far as I know. There will be a static cutoff plate in case its only for low beam, or a magnet operated flap in case of both. Projectors will not depend on filaments to switch between high and low beam.
I dont know what car this is, but if the high beam changes are seen in the projector, it a bixenon(?). In any case, you will need single filament bulb only.

Last edited by mayankk : 21st January 2016 at 11:38.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 11:44   #296
BHPian

Though I understand the topic is closed, I will just provide my two cents here in the form of a photo of the light throw of a halogen projector with a 4300K HID bulb in it. The projector is mounted crookedly so the cutoff line is a at an angle, though another reason for that is that the cutoff shield is LHD and I had turn the projector so as not to cause glare on to oncoming traffic. Sorry, I do not have a reference picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Xenon HID conversion kit-1453356845689.jpg  

Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 17:02   #297
BHPian

Firstly make sure your existing car has a good cutoff with the current halogen projector setup. From my knowledge, the Verna's with the OEM Halogen projectors come with a HB3 9005 type bulb (Mine came with a Sylvannia bulb) which is a single filament type bulb. So, the projector definitely has a shield which controls the high/low beam function.

Slapping an HID kit would mean a marked (if not great) improvement in the way the road is lit up ahead. But if your cutoff with the current setup isn't good, it's not going to be better with the HIDs. You'd have too much scattered light and you'd be putting too much glare into oncoming traffic.

4200K (or 4300K) is the light colour temperature. As explained above the higher you go, the intensity of light actually decreases. 4300K is strong white light with a slight tint of Yellow. Upto 5000k (pure white) is good. HID's with white light perform good in rains (unlike halogen white lights). This is from experience.

An HID kit is usually plug and play in that you don't have to splice wires to get it to work, incase your worried about voiding warranty when taking it to the dealer it would be a 15 min job going back to stock.

Also retrofitting wouldn't be a good idea since your car came with OEM projectors.

Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:25   #298
BANNED

Thanks a lot Members and @drhoneycake you finally nailed it with the apt reply as i was nearly sure that the verna 4s projectors come with shield which controls high and low beam, now it is to see how this halogen projectors treat HID bulbs or vice versa. Would go to the market this weekend and would try to source it as i am not much sure Osram 4200k would be readily available in my city's local market.

Warm Regards
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:50   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Members and @drhoneycake you finally nailed it with the apt reply as i was nearly sure that the verna 4s projectors come with shield which controls high and low beam, now it is to see how this halogen projectors treat HID bulbs or vice versa. Would go to the market this weekend and would try to source it as i am not much sure Osram 4200k would be readily available in my city's local market.

Warm Regards
You can also check Phillips and P8. My friend was using P8 in his reflector-type foglamps and they survived an year/30k kms of regular use (as DRL + night time driving) after which he sold the car. In local markets around NCR, people prefer P8 as chances of fakes in Osram and Phillips are high.

I was also ordering Osram HIDs for my foglamps online but have changed my mind and will go for P8 which is available locally with bill.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 15:15   #300
BANNED

Thanks @ Swift_guy for the useful and much needed reply. I would also try to consider P8 in case i wont be able to source HID conversion kit locally moreover as you say it is available with bill so it may also be coming with valid warranty i suppose.

warm Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks