Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 17:54   #241
BANNED

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

@graaja; CN are arguably the best Chinese bulbs. I have not come across the ballast brand. A quick Google search revealed that they are mostly AC and 55W seems to be their norm. Should be Ok. The 'best' Chinese ballast is supposed to be Hyaluxtek or Hyalutek.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 18:08   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do you really need 55W?
Why the question on 55W?

I have almost zeroed in on P8 55W 4300K HID for my XUV5OO's low beam projectors.

I thought 55W would anyway be far better than 35W, or is it the other way around ?

Please help
Old 7th January 2016, 18:46   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Why the question on 55W?

I have almost zeroed in on P8 55W 4300K HID for my XUV5OO's low beam projectors.

I thought 55W would anyway be far better than 35W, or is it the other way around ?
Normally 35W is more than adequate. my son has 35W Projectors in his City and it is more than good enough. Of course you can get a 55W ballast with a 35W bulb, in fact some guru's like it. Just remember that 90%+ failures are due to the ballast. I guess P8 should be fine, and I presume they are AC.

OIn my Civic I have 55W 3000K bulbs with Hyalutek ballasts in the fogs. I have not bothered to change the bolbs in the low or high beams. If ever I do then the low will be the first.

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th January 2016 at 18:49.
Old 7th January 2016, 19:38   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried 35W HID in the High-beam without projectors ?
Old 8th January 2016, 07:21   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMHO, a HID without projectors is not recommended at all. This will result in heavy glare for oncoming traffic. A google search with the phrase "hid without projector" will give you enough information on why this is not recommended. Below is an article that explains the concept of reflectors, projectors, halogen bulbs and HID bulbs, and compares all combinations of bulbs, reflectors and projectors.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-...out-there.html
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 09:28   #246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
IMHO, a HID without projectors is not recommended at all. This will result in heavy glare for oncoming traffic.
Of course there are cars which come with HiDs without projectors, like higher models of the Corolla, but then the reflector is designed for these. So that is a different case. The consensus is that projectors are virtually a must with HiDs.
Old 12th January 2016, 12:59   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Do let me know if you go for it. Need your feedback as well.
Quote:
If ever I do then the low will be the first.
Hi Naveen/Sgiitk,

As my car waits to get out of the service center, I quickly did another check across all nearby accessories store, just to be sure on the prices. To my shock, all of them had different opinion and different prices for the same products.

Sharing the prices and feedback of sales guys/owners at each stores for H7 4300K HID kit with Ballast.

GLOBAL TYRES :
P8 : Rs. 9800, they only sell P8 in the 55W range and Philips and Osram were not on stock.
According to him, P8 is the most preferred and hence they only stock P8.

GALAXY :
P8 : They do not sell P8
Osram Xenarc : Rs 9500
Philips : Rs 10500

According to the owner, P8 is of inferior quality and 55W is just stickering and not actual 55W. He asked me to only go for Osram and the best is Philips.
He also told me that, the light quality may depend on the projector in the car.
TYREX :
P8 : Rs. 10,500
Osram & Philips : Both in 11K range, he didnt have actual prices.

According to the Tyrex guy, all of them are on par interns of quality as all have 1 year warranty. He also told me about the difference between 55W and 35W, as the light quality and range is evidently different. He did not suggest 35W as I was looking for 55W which is only with P8. He also told me of probable fakes that come in the range of 8K which are actually the ones for 2wheelers which are bought in 2 and fixed together.

AutoMate :
P8: Rs. 8500 (Rs. 4000 for the bulbs & Rs. 4500 for the Ballast and rest of the wiring)
Osram : Rs. 9,500
Philips : Rs. 9,500

He did not have much idea on the quality of these and could not help in guiding me to the right bulbs. But since I was looking for 55W he asked me to go for P8.

Here are a few questions that I have in my mind.

1. Are they right on what they told me about each bulbs ?
2. How can the same product - P8 though indian made, priced at a variation of Rs. 2000 approx.
3. How different is 35W HID from 55W HID ? Why isnt Philips and Osram not making these ?
4. Are these the same bulbs that come in the German Audi/Merc etc ?
5. What would be the best according to you when it comes to XUV5OO's low beam projector. I have a lot of highway drives, and rains are pretty regular and my home town is in the high range, so mist/fog are normal.

Please get me out of this misery.
Old 12th January 2016, 13:05   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 'best' Chinese ballast is supposed to be Hyaluxtek or Hyalutek.
Are you referring to Hyluxtek here?

I can't find a reference for Hyaluxtek or Hyalutek anywhere on the internet other than TBHP and some other forums where you've mentioned this.
Old 12th January 2016, 13:28   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

Here are a few questions that I have in my mind.

1. Are they right on what they told me about each bulbs ?
2. How can the same product - P8 though indian made, priced at a variation of Rs. 2000 approx.
3. How different is 35W HID from 55W HID ? Why isnt Philips and Osram not making these ?
4. Are these the same bulbs that come in the German Audi/Merc etc ?
5. What would be the best according to you when it comes to XUV5OO's low beam projector. I have a lot of highway drives, and rains are pretty regular and my home town is in the high range, so mist/fog are normal.

Please get me out of this misery.
1) Different shops deals with different brands and they promote only those brands (of course, only then you will buy from them). I usually dont listen to them. I take the advise from users and have got some good reviews on P8 from TBHP members.
2) Some shops do compromise on ballasts and wiring. A layman wont understand the difference. I had a similar experience when I went for Osram higher rated bulbs. The relay and wiring kit was sourced from a local guy. This can happen. Else some shops sell at a premium.
3) 35w is the standard rating and the rating depends on the ballast. HID bulbs are designed for 35w. When a 55w ballast is added, the arc becomes bigger and more light is produced. I would say you can expect 20% improvement. There's a downside too. More light means more heat and less life. I guess international brands like osram, Morimoto supplies 55w ballasts. (my friend is using 55w morimoto kit sourced from AVS tuning, Mumbai)
4) They use 35w HIDs.
5) If it was me, I would have gone for 55w if am able to source it through Hyundai else would settle with 35w as I have had good experience using them in my previous cars (Swift and Ecosport).

To clear your doubts, get in touch with P8's authorized dealer.

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-screenshot_1.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 13:36   #250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

I can't find a reference for Hyaluxtek or Hyalutek anywhere on the internet other than TBHP and some other forums where you've mentioned this.
Yes, indeed. I stand corrected.

I have googled with various permutations and hit some references on all of them. So I have tended to use them interchangeably. I think there are a few vendors offering them online in India. Watch out that you get the one with a two/three year warranty (that does not do much good) which probably assures a slightly better quality. They claim to be i. using an ASIC as against a PROM, ii. Proper anchoring and sealing of the wire ingress and egress, iii. Proper 'potting' of the electronics.

A ballast is a tricky beast, initially the impedance is near infinite, and you need a high voltage (say 40kV) to initiate the discharge. Once it starts the impedance drops to near zero. So the requirements for sustaining the discharge are very different.

Remember the discharge is in the Ultraviolet, so it is the phosphor which gves you visible light. Different phosphors for different colour temperatures.
Old 12th January 2016, 13:39   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1) Different shops deals with different brands and they promote only those brands (of course, only then you will buy from them). I usually dont listen to them. I take the advise from users and have got some good reviews on P8 from TBHP members.
2) Some shops do compromise on ballasts and wiring. A layman wont understand the difference. I had a similar experience when I went for Osram higher rated bulbs. The relay and wiring kit was sourced from a local guy. This can happen. Else some shops sell at a premium.
3) 35w is the standard rating and the rating depends on the ballast. HID bulbs are designed for 35w. When a 55w ballast is added, the arc becomes bigger and more light is produced. I would say you can expect 20% improvement. There's a downside too. More light means more heat and less life. I guess international brands like osram, Morimoto supplies 55w ballasts. (my friend is using 55w morimoto kit sourced from AVS tuning, Mumbai)
4) They use 35w HIDs.
5) If it was me, I would have gone for 55w if am able to source it through Hyundai else would settle with 35w as I have had good experience using them in my previous cars (Swift and Ecosport).

To clear your doubts, get in touch with P8's authorized dealer.

Attachment 1459758
Thanks so much Naveen for your input.

I got really confused talking to these people. Let me talk to those distributors and see whether I can get hold of one from them. T

Many thanks. Much Appreciated.
Old 12th January 2016, 13:56   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes.
Apart from a pointless beam, the regular reflectors arent really built to handle HID heat. My fiesta's High and low beam reflector surfaces both chipped in about a week when I tried HID in them.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 13:57   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Yes, it is Hyluxtek. Good quality stuff. I had ordered a pair from the same eBay seller based on earlier posts here and on another forum, Gearheads, I think. Using a ballast in my Duke. Satisfied so far.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 08:42   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yes.
Apart from a pointless beam, the regular reflectors arent really built to handle HID heat. My fiesta's High and low beam reflector surfaces both chipped in about a week when I tried HID in them.
I am foxed by this. We replace a 55/60W bulb by a 35W bulb then the total ( mostly heat) load is reduced to about 60%. How does it lead to chipping damage? Higher light intensity should not matter. Physics seems to be failing me. Can someone give the reason.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:23   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am foxed by this. We replace a 55/60W bulb by a 35W bulb then the total ( mostly heat) load is reduced to about 60%. How does it lead to chipping damage? Higher light intensity should not matter. Physics seems to be failing me. Can someone give the reason.
Well I don't know what to say about the physics. All I know is that I removed my projectors, and installed the HIDs in the stock reflectors. A few days later, the reflective coating came away from the back, and chipped right above the HID, on both reflectors.
Did not analyse it to understand if it was because of the HID, cos it was fairly apparent.

Most Viewed