Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 22:44   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar
Hi,can you tell me how much did the K&N extreme and the Automech Free Flow cost you.Thanks in advance
Automech= 5065/- including Headers, freeflow, expansion chamber, intermediate pipes, muffler and steel tip.

K&N Extreme= 8K??? I got some parts as manna! it costs 5k fr the filter and 3k for the flange, Pipes etc..
Old 5th September 2006, 22:29   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Do you have figures for your top speed/FE before and after fitiing the K&N and freeflow? And did you upgrade your tyres/wheels?
Yes, I do!

Topspeed: Before= 120+ KMH (After a big struggle) After= 140+ (Easily done)

FE: Stock= 16-17Kms\ltr. After K&N stock=17-21Kms\ltr. After Extreme= 19-22Kms (very safe driving) 18-20kms (normal driving) 12kms (Spirited, redline driving) After Freeflow= 16-17kms (normal driving) 10-11kms (Spirited, redline driving)
All the figures are estimated by measuring fuel, speedometer and mind calculations. So, there can be minor or major errors.

Yes! I upgraded my tyres to 155/70 R13 Michelin Certis. And now I fill Nitrogen instead of air. I felt a big difference!
Old 5th September 2006, 22:58   #48
rks
BANNED

@speedzak, those are fantastic figures. I thought that even a stock Alto should do more than 120 kmph -- but top speed depends on too many factors, so one can't generalize. The other possibility is that your tyre upgrade has brought down your top speed, or maybe introduced speedo error.

Last edited by rks : 5th September 2006 at 23:00.
Old 5th September 2006, 23:02   #49

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

does nitrogen offer a significant difference over air.and which kinda shops can u get nitrogen filled from.and afetr how long do you have to check the tyre pressure again.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:28   #50
BANNED

@RKS. Yes, the speedometer is not showing the correct speed after the tyre change. Is there any way I can check 0-100 times without depending on the errand speedo?
And is it possible to rectify the speedometer?
@Hellspawn. The nitro made difference on the ride. The bumps are absorbed smoothly. And according to the shopguy, it barely looses pressure. I'll get free refills for next 6 months if so.
Old 6th September 2006, 12:02   #51
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
@RKS. Yes, the speedometer is not showing the correct speed after the tyre change. Is there any way I can check 0-100 times without depending on the errand speedo?
And is it possible to rectify the speedometer?
I don't know how you can correct the speedometer -- maybe you could try checking with the manufacturer. But you can calculate the speedo error due to the change in tyre size. Look under "A tyre size calculator" in the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Once you know the speedo error, you can check your 0-100 timings as well.
Old 6th September 2006, 13:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

its not the top end that I am keen at; but midrange. During my Cochin-Karunagapally drive on Zak's alto, I was happy with the third gear as it could go 90 plus or so. But since I was always keeping the car in high revs ( had to downshift a bit now and then to keep teh car in the powerband), the FE suffered that day. But, teh supsension at back is far far better than M800, maybe coz of the upgrades he had done.
Old 6th September 2006, 13:47   #53
Joz
BHPian

[quote=speedzak]Yes, I do!

Topspeed: Before= 120+ KMH (After a big struggle) After= 140+ (Easily done)

FE: Stock= 16-17Kms\ltr. After K&N stock=17-21Kms\ltr. After Extreme= 19-22Kms (very safe driving) 18-20kms (normal driving) 12kms (Spirited, redline driving) After Freeflow= 16-17kms (normal driving) 10-11kms (Spirited, redline driving)
quote]

Mate, great to see someone trying to whip the max out of the little car. But i dispute some of your figures. Actually even i was surprised when it happened.

2 weeks back, on a crazy emergency run from Bangalore to Batheri (3.5 hrs), the 'speedo' on my Alto touched 142!!! I am sure it would probably have moved a few points more, but the engine wasn't exactly sounding pleasant, so i eased off. Until that trip, i always thought 130 - 135 was the max the car could do. Mileage ofcourse was bad in comparision. 15.5 kmpl on the highway as compared to 18.5 kmpl returned on past trips. The only addition to my car after it rolled out of the showroom has been the rosary.

Now this is not to belittle the mods on your car. I am 100 % sure you touched 140+ with much more ease than a stock car does. Mine took ages and it was aided by a slight down hill stretch, which i hit at about somewhere above 135 kmph.

I am paware that the vehicle is not capable of handling such speeds in its current form. Fatter rubber and a sane head is must before one tries such stuff.

Good luck with the mods speedzak. I am watching this thread intently.
Old 6th September 2006, 16:17   #54
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I don't know how you can correct the speedometer -- maybe you could try checking with the manufacturer. But you can calculate the speedo error due to the change in tyre size. Look under "A tyre size calculator" in the following website:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
If stock tyres for Alto are 145/80 R12 and the upgrade is 155/70 R13, the speedo should indicate 2 kmph less than actual speed, as per the above website. So there does not appear to be significant speedo error due to tyre upgrade in this case.
Old 6th September 2006, 17:47   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
its not the top end that I am keen at; but midrange. During my Cochin-Karunagapally drive on Zak's alto, I was happy with the third gear as it could go 90 plus or so. But since I was always keeping the car in high revs ( had to downshift a bit now and then to keep teh car in the powerband), the FE suffered that day. But, teh supsension at back is far far better than M800, maybe coz of the upgrades he had done.
JK! It's not 90plus but 110 to be exact!

I'll put up the redline speeds my car does in each gear:
1st = 40-45kmh
2nd = 80kmh
3rd = 110kmh
4th = 140+ (Not sure how much more it can do)
5th = 140+ (Feels like cruising though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
Mate, great to see someone trying to whip the max out of the little car. But i dispute some of your figures. Actually even i was surprised when it happened.

2 weeks back, on a crazy emergency run from Bangalore to Batheri (3.5 hrs), the 'speedo' on my Alto touched 142!!! I am sure it would probably have moved a few points more, but the engine wasn't exactly sounding pleasant, so i eased off. Until that trip, i always thought 130 - 135 was the max the car could do. Mileage ofcourse was bad in comparision. 15.5 kmpl on the highway as compared to 18.5 kmpl returned on past trips. The only addition to my car after it rolled out of the showroom has been the rosary.
Topspeed is very much disputable! In my case especially! Because my topspeeds were achieved with 4 adults in the car including myself. In both cases, ie. before and after the mods! So, it's not surprising to see that the stock Alto can touch 140. But I'll say 130 is what many Altos can achieve and 140+ is very rare and hard with an Alto. Yes, Downhill and winds may be helpful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
I am aware that the vehicle is not capable of handling such speeds in its current form. Fatter rubber and a sane head is must before one tries such stuff.
It's very much insane to do these things with an Alto. Careful driving is the key! And downshift before braking hard! Ask Jkdas, and he'll say what poor braking this car has! He slammed it when he was driving somewhere near 120+!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
Good luck with the mods speedzak. I am watching this thread intently.
Nice thing Bro! Together we can kick up some dirt with Alto! Kudos!
Old 6th September 2006, 17:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Zak, I dont check the speedo much jsut play with gears and accelerator till I feel happy maintaining some speed
Old 6th September 2006, 18:57   #57
BHPian

Zak, How long have you driven the car after doing the mods? My exhaust note changed drasticaly after 2k... Well he told me because i was reving the car too much on first and second, Changed the steel wool and it sounds better
Old 6th September 2006, 19:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
I'll put up the redline speeds my car does in each gear:
1st = 40-45kmh
2nd = 80kmh
3rd = 110kmh
4th = 140+ (Not sure how much more it can do)
5th = 140+ (Feels like cruising though)
Hey zak if can help me out a little.... Ur redline speed in the first gear is like >40, but the only few times that i have tried to rev my car in the first gear, the engine started groaning at just about 20kph and the same goes for the second at about 45kph.... As for the third i have never tried going beyond 50 for the fear of loosing my engine.... Is something wrong with my car or am i believing too many things??
Old 6th September 2006, 19:30   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Hey zak if can help me out a little.... Ur redline speed in the first gear is like >40, but the only few times that i have tried to rev my car in the first gear, the engine started groaning at just about 20kph and the same goes for the second at about 45kph.... As for the third i have never tried going beyond 50 for the fear of loosing my engine.... Is something wrong with my car or am i believing too many things??

Hey,

Firstly which car do you have. If you have the same car then there is something drastically wrong. Pl get it checked by a professional.

Viper
Old 6th September 2006, 19:55   #60
BHPian

Oh i forgot to mention that! Alto LX 2005...
And yaar what has gone wrong?
And i dont know if it this is also related, but the alto's manual says that for optimizing the mileage the coreect gear shifts are 10, 20, 30, 40... But if i shift into the 4th at 30kph, i get some knocking... No such thing happens if i do that at about 40...

Last edited by ess_a : 6th September 2006 at 19:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks