Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 12:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
I always keep my car covered in apartment's basement parking. Today morning, I woke up to this......Eventually my car gets more scratches in apartment parking then in Bengaluru traffic
Thats definitely not a rat work. They don't waste their time cutting covers but enjoy chewing cables or wires that smell fuel or gives them 'instant kick' from the power source

Agree 100% to the 'more scratches in apartment parking" part, because all my scratch marks are from the parking spot by the potential rally drivers and race bikers under 10 in my society ! Issues of common area and parking merged into one
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 19:32   #197
Senior - BHPian

Received this via WA. Motorcoats has come up rat guard to protect the engine bay of your car..PDF attached & it costs around Rs.600/-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf broucher front back.pdf (2.76 MB, 902 views)
Old 31st October 2017, 21:15   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thats definitely not a rat work. They don't waste their time cutting covers but enjoy chewing cables or wires that smell fuel or gives them 'instant kick' from the power source
Yes, this was work of a bunch of dogs. They not only tore the cover, but put scratches all over the bonnet and front fenders. Unfortunately, we can't do much in such scenarios apart from asking security guard to keep the door closed at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
because all my scratch marks are from the parking spot by the potential rally drivers and race bikers under 10 in my society !
That's a very nice way of describing the inadvertent culprits
Old 31st October 2017, 23:42   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Can you please share the co-ordinates of the mechanic who can do this in Bangalore (if you know)? I would love to get this done as a precautionary measure
Honestly its a simple DIY job, All you gotta do it place and fix the tar brushes and cover most of the area possible, Also fixing some under the car is a must, Since from the tyre and suspension is where the rats also gain access,

Every car is different, You gotta look for the places where you have exposed wires in your car and block the entry points.

Even though its a DIY simply buy the tar brushes along with the plastic secure straps and take it to the mechanic and let him handle with the brushes, One touch with the tar brush and you will bleed.

Simply any mechanic would do it, You just have to guide him.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:41   #200
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After seeing the success of my rat-repelling borders, a close friend got the same for his Compass.

Takes ~2 minutes for my watchman to remove or put back.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-2_edited1.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-1_edited1.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-3.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:52   #201
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Due to the wear & tear, these tar brushes lose their edge & sharpness after 12 - 18 months. Just had them refreshed. Used the same aluminum base, but the tar brushes on top are all new.
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20180321-19.32.38.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 15:34   #202
BHPian

Audi sells an ultrasonic anti-marten device for ~200 EUR. 'so that rodents do not make themselves at home in your Audi'

They seem to be actively studying Marten behavior and even rigged a car with cameras before setting a marten loose. LINK.
Cost aside, do you guys think this might work for our rat situation?

Didn't have a clue as to what these Marten things were, so I did a bit of reading up on it. Seems like Germany plays host to these ferret like creatures which make our rats look like house pets. They chew through coolant hoses, wiring causing damages in millions of Euros every year.

Name:  Marten.png
Views: 6188
Size:  559.0 KB

Look at this furry little incarnation of the devil. So glad that we don't have these here.
rohan_cherian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 19:11   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Takes ~2 minutes for my watchman to remove or put back.
A slightly off topic news from the financial capital of India; although the intended targets are people and not rats. NDTV carries the news of a bank using iron spikes on the pavement outside its branch as a deterrent to the homeless folks who could use the space to sleep at night.

The same has apparently been removed after the move was criticised in social media.
Quote:
A prominent bank in Mumbai is facing massive outrage over its unusual move to put up iron spikes on the pavement outside a branch, to prevent the homeless from sleeping there. Responding to the public anger, especially on social media, the HDFC bank on Tuesday assured that it would remove the spikes outside its new Fort Branch immediately.
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-screenshot_20180327185453571_com.android.chrome.png

The website cites a tweet which raises a valid question:
Quote:
What if a kid/elderly or physically disabled person falls on them and gets seriously hurt?
Source:NDTV
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 15:20   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL! My friend upgraded his rat-proof fencing for the monsoons. Just look at the sheer height!

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20180708-18.29.07.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-20180708-18.29.16.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 20:34   #205
BHPian

Here's my solution - L-R - Sunny, Poppy and Cherry - they ensure all the cars in the parking lot are rodent free. A little milk every day. Seen here basking on my car!

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-whatsapp-image-20180725-10.37.08.jpeg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 08:37   #206
Senior - BHPian

Here are the defenses for my new Verna. Just got her recently. Using all the experience from my previous rides I am trying to secure her with home made spikes. These spike thingy's are made from hard plastics that I found at home.Drilled holes in them and inserted sharp pins from the bottom and sealed the base with glue, foam and tape.

I decided not to get the Tar brush for the Verna because they looked ugly and was finding it difficult to mount them inside the car's engine bay. One advantage of the home made spikes is that they are extremely light yet prickly. They are also easy to install being small in size. The one on the battery is carried forward from my previous ride (Civic) and it was very effective from preventing the rats from making the battery top their private bathroom.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181028_073220.jpg
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181028_073224.jpg
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181028_073227.jpg
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181028_073213.jpg
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-all.jpg
Basic tools used to make the spike thingy's
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-thumbnail.jpeg

Along with the above I have also sprayed the engine bay with Autoshine's Rat repellent. It gives off a Sandalwood smell but being exposed to it a bit gave me a slight headache. Hopefully the above combination will prevent my car to mentioned on this thread ever again
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 12:13   #207
BHPian

Slightly OT, but relevant to rodent menace.... at ports

Came across something called as a 'rat guard' that ships use on their mooring line while at port.

I was intrigued by the simplicity of the design.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-1.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-3.jpg

Name:  2.png
Views: 4634
Size:  356.0 KB

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-4.jpg

The same design/idea can be extended to trees and pipes running outside the houses too.
Spinnerr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 08:56   #208
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Came across something called as a 'rat guard' that ships use on their mooring line while at port.
Very common, effective & cheap. I have them on all the pipes in my building:
Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img8.jpg
Image Source
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 20:32   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Here are the defenses for my new Verna. Just got her recently. Using all the experience from my previous rides I am trying to secure her with home made spikes. These spike thingy's are made from hard plastics that I found at home......
Along with the above I have also sprayed the engine bay with Autoshine's Rat repellent. It gives off a Sandalwood smell but being exposed to it a bit gave me a slight headache. Hopefully the above combination will prevent my car to mentioned on this thread ever again
One small issue. The ones tied to the engine block started to make a lot of rattling noise since they are made of plastics and they kept reverberating against the engine cover. Back to the drawing board for the engine wires protection. Maybe a wire mesh would do?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th November 2018 at 20:57.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 22:59   #210
BHPian

Morning when I started the car, I could feel unusual shaking. RPM was at 1000 in idle. When moved, power was definitely less too. AC was off as well. I thought of checking the A/C later and went to office.
Evening when I switched on, I saw malfunction indicator. Checked the oil level and coolant. All OK. A/c was still off. Power lower. Drove back home with warning light on.

While driving, my first thinking was rats cutting the wires.
Usually the ambient temperature sensor would be the victim. But this time, the temperature was fine. I was thinking of various possibilities.
After reaching home, checked the ambient temperature sensor which was OK. Checked any other wire cuts. Nothing. Opened up the engine cover and found this.
Rats !!!

One of the cylinders was off the entire time. It was running with 25% less power. That was why the less power and the shaking in idle.
Worst part is, the cable has been chewed right at the edge. I'm not sure if it could be connected. Me thinking my wallet getting bombed.

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181120_200748.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181120_200903.jpg

Rat-proof Fencing as a solution for the rodent menace?-img_20181120_200924.jpg
iamswift is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks