Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Do ask them about "preferred" dealer in Bangalore who preferably can do setup at

Sure, I shall do that.
Old 4th February 2016, 12:01   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

I always preferred to keep the lights in AUTO mode. Meaning based on the ambient light around, the lights will switch ON. I love it. I don't have to remember to switch them off. They go back all by themselves.

Today the HIDs did not come up for around 10-12 seconds - the settings were Auto Lights. Or probably they came and I did not notice for very long I understand that HIDs take time to heat-up and show light this long, is plain unacceptable. Especially in the basement. My car park is on basement 2, and auto lights are settings favoured all the time. After I start the car, idle for 10 seconds or so, when I move I must see the lights. But that did not happen today. I struggled for light and hence switched back to manual. Problem with that is habit - I have to switch it off after coming on the road. There is no audible warning in XUV to tell that lights are ON.

Today I inquired at Anant Cars BG Road, if someone can help me with alignment of the bulbs. The answer was plain NO. I don't service my car there so I don't know anyone there. Hence with first person I met, I have to return back.

So I am again back to square one
Old 4th February 2016, 12:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Philips is around 12K though the dealer.
Quote:
Do ask them about "preferred" dealer in Bangalore who preferably can do setup at doorstep.
Osram Xenarc is priced at 9K here for the H7 4200Ks. Its still 3K dearer than Philips. Would need to hear more on the reviews though to select the best.

The dealer (Automate, Cochin) does not know about shadow issue with the projectors using Osram and he told me that it could be with the projectors. (Not going by his explanation though).

If this helps, sharing the contact details of OSRAM Sales in charge of South India. His name is Johnson and if I am not wrong, is in Bangalore end of the week.

Johnson (Osram) +91-9995 805 623

PS : I have anyway emailed Amritras on the issue sharing the contact details of Business Head of Amritras here

SANJAY SEHGAL
Business Head - Sales & Marketing
Mobile : +91-98116 36187
Email: sales@amritrasindia.com

Last edited by peterjim13 : 4th February 2016 at 12:17.
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 23:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Enough is enough!

This thing does not seem to be working well with me. So this is how I want to end this niggle now -
  • Revert to Stock Lamps (this weekend)
  • Fit the below aux lights. Teeny Tiny but powerful.

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-moto95leds.png

Let there be light!
Old 5th February 2016, 00:20   #50
BANNED

Quote:
This thing does not seem to be working well with me. So this is how I want to end this niggle now
Why not get some OEM stuff?

No tries with Philips or Osram?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 00:40   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let there be light!
is that 6500 for the pair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
OEM ? Mahindra has already put in the Projectors. But no HID.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 00:47   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

OEM ? Mahindra has already put in the Projectors. But no HID.
Ohho. Sorry should have been clear.

By OEM, I meant was HID is by Osram or Philips.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 06:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
is that 6500 for the pair?
Yes.
Quote:
No tries with Philips or Osram?
Rationale - as explained below.

With the P8 fiasco, I have been hunting down many XUV owners with their experiences. SDP helped me get in touch with some non bhpians as well who have been technically doing DIYs and helping me understand all things HID.

Many folks have either gone for Philips or Morimoto setup. They did a group buy, did DIY setup or used FNGs. Everyone is happy with things except - 10 to 15% of them had this shadow issue, on a smaller scale. It turns out to be the alignment issue. Speaking to Anant and Sireesha technicians, nobody wants to put then hand in this. They caution, that the alignment screws in headlight can be used to solve this problem but they are delicate things in XUV. Anything goes wrong you will end up with damaging them resulting in new headlight assembly or live without alignment/ focus. Both of these are not good. Knowing my luck with HIDs, I wanted something which is reliable - procurement from reliable, trustworthy source where someone can put their name in between and do everything to help me get it working. Of course I wont blame them if anything goes wrong but I definitely need something reliable.

Secondly, I have been observing some issues that will remain with any HID kit i choose OEM/ aftermarket! My car is parked in second basement. Everyday morning around 8.30am when I leave for work, I have to take it out of parking through a ramp on a super slow speed (morning cold starts) without lugging engine and without racing. The part of ramp is too bright during day and remaining part is dark. My Auto light settings throw the light beams ON and OFF at these places while on the ramp. The HIDs take time to heat-up and throw light. To get a bright light you need 3-5 seconds. That is the time you move between the spots. And this Auto light thing does not really work well with HIDs unless you do a capacitor something (I am told it is possible but need expert help in there.) Way out of my sight for now to worry about all these.

The reason I had stayed away rom external lights is due to the way they look, stay out of the grill and have risk of frisking. With high beams and Low beams properly aligned, with Philips Xtremevision 130% lights, they are good for most of the usage. But there are times when you crave for more light for obvious reasons. Like after a dazzling oncoming vehicles passes you, you need the bright light to see what's behind it! Hella Rally kinda things will do just well. But again, too butch to put on this more urban SUV. So when i searched for various things including tsk's LED experimentation, I bumped upon Moto95.in. Jaipur based store who happened to be a good contact of one of my new found friend and XUV owner. This was good enough to trace and see the actual car in which it is fitted.

Based on all of this I chose to buy the exact same model that my friend brought. The main reason include - size of the LEDs and light compared to it. And having seen the light in person, this feels just right. Not too much light to cause the blindness to oncoming vehicle at the same time, something that is helpful for single lane low traffic conditions. Hence took a dive on this.

There were options like Rigid Industries Lights as well. Great quality but little too much for cost from my budget as well as time taken to delivery is going to be little longer than my patience level.

Hence considering all of the above things, I decided to revert the things to stock and get an independent setup that does not messes up with any of the existing system (I paid for Auto Lights, they were working perfect! Don't want to add a feature at the cost of almost loosing that feature when I need it most). And last but not the least - M&M dealerships I visit are more receptive to such external lights than anything being fiddled with stock things - hinting lesser issues for warranty claims hopefully. No guarantee there of course!

Apologies if this wasn't the way everyone here expected to end
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let there be light!
Good move Avinash

I would still prefer HID's over these. I am going to find out the root cause of this issue and if required will go till Mahindra to check why it works in some and why not in others. If the projector lenses is designed only for halogens and with a proper reasoning from Mahindra I will revert to stock, else will get a proper HID on my car.

Will test my patience to the extent and see what happens
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 09:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-rhsbulb.jpg

See the image above. Sporadically the bulbs go off on left generally. Today the right side was not helping! If this unreliable behaviour continues to happen on Auto setting, I better leave the auto feature or this HID thing. Opted for the later though.
Old 5th February 2016, 12:10   #56
BHPian

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem

Quote:
if this wasn't the way everyone here expected to end
Truly, but we do understand the frustration you have been put through. In fact I have cancelled my P8 purchase and have delayed the upgrade till the issue is sorted out on this thread.

All the best with the upgrade. But we shall try our research from our end using your case as material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Avinash

I would still prefer HID's over these. I am going to find out the root cause of this issue and if required will go till Mahindra to check why it works in some and why not in others. :
Fusionbag here is the email from Amritras when I emailed the scenario with a link to this thread

Good Morning! Mr. Jim Peter,
We have gone through your observation with P8 HID bulb in XUV 500(new model) on Shadow type bar

Sir , we have done here the entire exercise with SUV 500 & observe that this bar shadow apparently appear with the HID bulb irrespective of make of the bulb.
After analysis it is observed that the internal locking position of the bulb with the base of the XUV lamp is the cause of the bar shadow.
The locking positioning is fixed in the projector lamp by the manufacture in XUV 500 & it can't be changed.

We are in a fix state of affair.
Conversely, by fitting the same HID bulb in some other car model like Skoda Octavia, Laura elegance , we do not find any shadow bar when low beam is ON .
Now there can always be argument that why company fitted lamp does not have this bar shadow !!!
It is to mention here that company fitted lamp is halogen & its construction is different than HID as a result we do not find the bar shadow.

Sir,
At the same time we do understand your annoyance due to shadow bar.
We can only say to kindly bear with us.

Thanks & Regards,
P8 Customer Care Team

customerservice@amritrasindia.com

Quote:
Ohho. Sorry should have been clear.

By OEM, I meant was HID is by Osram or Philips.
I am waiting for these two to sort this issue out. I am in trying to get in touch with their tech teams

Last edited by Zappo : 5th February 2016 at 12:46. Reason: Quote corrected
peterjim13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 12:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I better leave the auto feature or this HID thing
Avinash this might help you,

Quote:
Problem:
In many cases, especially for those cars that have Auto ""ON"" or Daytime Running Lights; one or both light cannot Ignite Initially, Discharge Bulb turns off after just start the car, or even sometimes, bulb just turns off when driving.
Solution:
You MUST Disconnect the Daytime Running Light or Auto Switch ON function immediately before the actual HID Conversion. Due to the Steady levels of battery voltage is required at 12V or Plus before the initial Ignites of each HID Systems; you must prohibit the less voltage draw of car battery at HID s start time. Daytime Running Light is 7V or less power output, and auto switch on headlight is always turn on seconds right before the car to start the ignition to charge the battery, which means Battery is focus on charging the ignition and waiting for alternator to recharge it back to 12V. Therefore, in both situations, battery is drawing much less power than 12V to initially ignite the HID headlight. Please perform the following:
o if you have Daytime Running Light please follow your car s service manual; disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only.
o If you have Auto Switch On Headlights, please switch the function to Manual Switch On headlights. To avoid further damages, always remember to start your engine before turn on the HID system!
Source: http://www.ebay.com/gds/HID-XENON-CO...1215090/g.html

Quote:
I am in trying to get in touch with their tech teams
Thanks for this Jim But if it was same with all XUV's I would have agreed to their reasoning. But I have a friend who is a T-bhp member who has installed P8's and using it from an year without any issues.

Also we tried with a different HID kit named HAWK at EVO and still the shadow existed, which has made me more confused.

So will be visiting Hot tracks here in Bangalore and see if he can fix this issue on the current setup or fix it using a new HID kit.

Let's hope for the best!!
fusionbang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 14:50   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Avinash this might help you...
Clearly indicating that I will have to let AUTO feature go! Thanks for this technical info, it really helps to understand the scenario why the HIDs behaved that way.

Glad, I am reverting back to stock - I can't forgo Auto Headlight feature especially when coming out of my parking lot :(
Old 6th February 2016, 21:58   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fusionbag here is the email from Amritras when I emailed the scenario with a link to this thread
It's funny that they did not respond to my email from a week ago! But finally we have this - the P8 manufacturer has given up!

Glad I decided to revert back the setup. With the stock things now, I have Philips XtremeVision 130% now on Low and high beams. This is how it looks like -

XUV500 with HID setup - And a shadow problem-highlowphilips.jpg

No more issues with the auto setup, light is good for now and onella LED should be setup soon to fill in the gaps for my single lane night travels without dazzling the oncoming traffic. But more on that little later in my ownership thread.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 23:08   #60

Just a thougt why you never considered upgrading your fog lights with hid kit. It would have taken care of issues like autostart (not required in this case) and projectors issue. I came across a couple of threads where folks have upgraded to 3000k fog lights and they are pretty happy. It also provides them the extra light that they were looking for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks