Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 20:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger injectors!

Congrats Frank. This though was a quick transformation really felt long. On the low idling, I would recommend you get it sorted out quickly as running low can be a problem because it may not allow the oil pressure to be at a high enough point and put unnecessary stress on the engine components. Guess you should try keeping the idle higher especially during cold starts.

Congratulations once again
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 22:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Brio: 1.5L engine swap successful (page 7)! Now with RD ECU & larger injectors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
In case you are running on the brio tyres, an upsize is definitely on the cards 😜
I am running on slightly wider tires. And I am happy with their grip and ride quality. Remember, this is a road focused car and has been modified to improve drivability. I am not looking to race, drag, drift or overspeed with this car. For our driving style, the stock tires, brakes and suspension are absolutely perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats Frank!! I am impressed with the overall time period. That was quick . I have seen few cars taking months for engine swap/hardware mods.

16 th July : Engine found for swap

20 th July : Engine swap initiated

27 th July : Drove back home with new engine
QUICK! That's why I was so antsy and edgy to do the swap. Technically, the swap takes 3 days if everything goes as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
That is so awesome! I'm pretty sure that we'll soon see more swaps happening after people are inspired by you. Try and see if you can get the process patented
Patented?! It's ILLEGAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Congrats Frank. This though was a quick transformation really felt long. On the low idling, I would recommend you get it sorted out quickly as running low can be a problem because it may not allow the oil pressure to be at a high enough point and put unnecessary stress on the engine components. Guess you should try keeping the idle higher especially during cold starts.

Congratulations once again
I just happened to pore over the idle speed of the L15A7 engine in the service manual, and it shows 700-750 RPM. Believe it or not!!!!! The ECU is managing to keep a stable idling speed despite running a higher displacement engine on the same fuel system. It's amazing how similar the engines are, that almost all vital signs of the engine are highly stable.

Coming to the car. I spent a long day with her today. She JUST doesn't feel like she's had a huge heart transplant just yesterday.
At home in traffic, in her element on open roads. AC compressor cuts in and out, without any fanfare. The idling is just perfect.
She potters around town in 3rd gear like nothing happened over the last few days. I mean, she's just had a DARN engine swap! Where's the drama?!
The point I'm trying to make here is that the swap is TOO DAMN EASY. Old engine out, new engine in! Hardly anything has changed about the no-nonsense aspect of the car. She's just as reliable, non-fussy and unfazed, running a 1.5 engine on stock electronics.
It is beyond my vocabulary to explain how beautifully she's running (touches wood) and how amazingly satisfying it is to power her through the gears. The gearing of the Brio is short and the final ratio is a smaller no. than the Honda City. Even then, acceleration through the gears is a very pleasurable task as everything just feels like a match made in heaven.
It's something I just can't put in words.

FOR EVERYONE WHO OWNS A HONDA BRIO, AMAZE OR A JAZZ, THIS SWAP IS A MUST. YOU MAY REGRET NOT GOING THROUGH WITH IT. IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I'll let the pictures talk for themselves. 2 contrasting pictures but you will realise that one can have a lot of fun with this car and still get figures like these!

Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-img20160728wa0062.jpg

Check out the HP figure as shown in the OBD Dyno!
Frankmehta'S Crio: Brio with a 1.5L engine! EDIT: Bosch ECU cracked and car delimited-screenshot_20160728102133.png
frankmehta is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 23:26   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The point I'm trying to make here is that the swap is TOO DAMN EASY. Old engine out, new engine in!
When you started this thread, I told that I was searching for 1.6 multijet swap instead of the current 1.3. A wild dream I had which I abandoned later. Wish it was this simple in that case! You make my mouth water
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 23:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Frank, you will get me into trouble. My dad could not digest when I took the brand new car straight to the tyre shop from the showroom to put better set of rubber, I don't know how will he react if I tell him thai I want to change the engine in our less than two year old car

BTW, does the bigger engine help the AC cool down the car faster? Brio really struggles in that department.

Lastly, would like to go for a spin in your car to feel the difference in power
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 23:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
When you started this thread, I told that I was searching for 1.6 multijet swap instead of the current 1.3. A wild dream I had which I abandoned later. Wish it was this simple in that case! You make my mouth water
I'd try to explore that option if I were you. Those two engines are also quite similar, but I don't know if they share the same sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Frank, you will get me into trouble. My dad could not digest when I took the brand new car straight to the tyre shop from the showroom to put better set of rubber, I don't know how will he react if I tell him thai I want to change the engine in our less than two year old car

BTW, does the bigger engine help the AC cool down the car faster? Brio really struggles in that department.

Lastly, would like to go for a spin in your car to feel the difference in power

You are welcome to come and drive the car whenever you feel like.
The AC Cooling as of now cannot be commented upon, as the weather these days is pretty cool. Psychologically, everything seems better when you get a new thing. It's only after a few days that the Placebo effect (if any) may fade off.
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 00:09   #111
BHPian

Congrats on the swap Frank!!

I have always wondered how it would be like if my brio had 50 plus nm of torque on tap!!

Are these performance numbers conservative or where you really going for the best time?

What about the gearboxes of the city and brio? Are they same? Any potential impact on clutch wear?

How do you think your brio now stacks up against your gt tsi?

Would love to see a drag race or a roll on race.

I honestly think 5 years down the lane, you should turn this into a proper project car. Back seats out, roll cage in, sticky rubber, Blisteins and brembos, Headers and exhaust and all.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 06:25   #112
BHPian

Superb, I can relate to the excitement and pleasure of a major modification going relatively smoothly. Reminds me so much of my 'madder' days when I plonked a 1600 into my 1000.

Hope the car keeps a constant grin plastered on you, and your better halfs face.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 11:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I'll let the pictures talk for themselves. 2 contrasting pictures but you will realise that one can have a lot of fun with this car and still get figures like these!

Check out the HP figure as shown in the OBD Dyno!

Hey Frank,

Congrats on successful swap, each and every one of your thread had hooked me up, be it civic, swift, estilo, polo and this swap one.

Can you tell me which OBD scanner your using and from where you get it.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by SDP : 30th July 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Please see inline note
sankdeshmukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:12   #114
BHPian

Congrats on the brilliant swap frankmehta . Even though you'll be skeptical about the reliability of it for a few days at the back of your head, I suggest you do a leap of faith and trust your build and enjoy it completely. I'm sure the build won't disappoint you. Please go for a standalone ECU, I'm only advising you out of experience. I'm currently running the RD Standalone in my car after the piggyback gave up on me. Haven't had any issues with it after multiple maps and long runs! Worth the money IMHO. Happy driving
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:45   #115

First of all, congratulations on the 'Crio'! Would be great if you could just take us through the RTO formalities involved in engine swap. Thanks in advance!
Vivek.bk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:58   #116
BHPian

This sounds like the simplest mod to do to a Brio to get so much power power and torque- make it a Crio. No wire cutting, no plumbing, simply replace the engine.
You said this can be done in the Jazz too? I have my doubts, the Jazz has a very tightly packed engine bay. I don't think it will be accommodate the bigger engine. How much is the size difference?
Also, if you feel that the current ECU is adjusting well to the new engine, i don't see the need to upgrade right now. You can do it later to extract more power out of the beast. Will put a grin on your face again. But, this is if it is idling properly and starting without accelerator. If its not, I'd advice you to get it fixed soon. There might be incomplete combustion happening and it will lead to a lot of soot deposits and hence reduce the life of the engine. To confirm this, get an emissions test done. Compare the results of the normal City engine with what your car is doing. If its within limit, i don't think you have to worry.
smarth.katyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:01   #117
BHPian

Woah! the same feeling when you finally get up after an exciting movie just ends, was literally glued to this thread from past couple of days. Can't really express my happiness for your Crio!. Meantime it would be great if you can enlighten why it didn't crank at the first instance with stock mapping and how the chaps at KS Motorsports managed to get away from those intial errors on the OBD?
ShreyasM8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:36   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarth.katyal View Post
You said this can be done in the Jazz too? I have my doubts, the Jazz has a very tightly packed engine bay. I don't think it will be accommodate the bigger engine.
Jazz runs with the 1.5 iVTec in many international markets. It's due to the Indian sub-4m tax concessions that we get only the 1.2L option in India.

Also, it comes with the 1.5 iDTec in India. So engine bay size is not a limitation.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:39   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jazz runs with the 1.5 iVTec in many international markets. It's due to the Indian sub-4m tax concessions that we get only the 1.2L option in India.

Also, it comes with the 1.5 iDTec in India. So engine bay size is not a limitation.

You got a point there. But im primarily concerned about the previous gen jazz and not the current one which has a diesel option. The newer Jazz has a spacious engine bay. Its the old one i find very cramped. But if it has 1.5 option internationally, which it does, I think it can be done.
smarth.katyal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 13:55   #120
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio: 1.5L Engine Swap (L15A / L15A7)

Quote:

Every moment passes like a decade, hoping to hear that beautiful sound of fuel igniting in the cylinders and being thrown out through the exhaust. The buzzy sound of tappets, going, "chaka chaka chaka chaka," in the most rhythmic manner possible. A healthy idle, and a sweet exhaust note.
Couldn't have said it better myself Frank. For someone trying to get an engine to run, that too with a fair bit of uncertainty, I can say this as I experienced the same euphoria a few weeks back, Congratulations!. That's one sweet pocket rocket ! That little 1.5 ivtec under the hood, needless to say is a gem of a motor. Have loads of fun with her .

Considering that you want this to be an everyday driver I'd suggest you go for the stock ecu of the L15A . A no nonsense solution instead of having a piggyback ecu and tuning it . The motor by itself produces more than adequate power for a little hatch .

On the other hand , if you want to make this a proper Hot Hatch , then a piggyback would be the way to go.
One:1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks