Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 10:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6

I was planning to remap my 1.6 S-Cross since many weeks. I had contacted almost all the tuners in India. I was very confused : RD dual channel box vs Remap, TOT vs other tuners.

RD Dual channel box :

I have had good experience with RD team. Their support is good and very professional. I was using their single channel box in my grand i10 and car did make decent power. Also we had tested RD dual channel box in my friend's diesel Jazz. Power delivery was way better than single channel box and I was impressed.

RD guys also agreed to do a free dyno run. I had almost decided to go for it. Later my grand i10 was remapped by TOT and power delivery was way better than single channel box. Also I checked RD dual channel box vs TOT remap dyno comparison in Punto by Crazy driver. RD dual channel box had better peak figures while remap had better figures on top end. Also with a remap I have option of switching off EGR and keeping the intake clean. After lot of thinking, decided to go for remap.

I had contacted many tuners and everyone told honestly that they have not remapped 1.6 S-cross before.

Tune-O-Tronics :

I am very happy with TOT map in grand i10 and I can trust their job. Vivek told they have not remapped the car before and need to see if he could take a proper read from my ECU. I like it when tuners are frank and do not think only about business. Full points to TOT!!

Wolf Moto :

My SX4 is running with Wolf remap and I am happy. Rajiv is very humble and he explains the remap process to customer ( Yes, only if you are interested to listen). Thanks to Rajiv, I have some idea about ECU maps and how values are changed. It feels like you are also part of remap process when working with Rajiv.

Rajiv has CMD master tool and he could make OBD read/write possible by soldering Spider boot chip. This would save time as there is no need to open ECU everytime for any tweaks.

Only drawback is Rajiv works in ship and wouldn't be available for few months every year. TOT wins here as they are totally into remaps. Also Rajiv is presently out of country and would be back only in December. Remap itch was getting worse every day and I was not sure if I could wait.

So it was TOT vs Wolf for many days. I decided to contact other tuners to check if anyone has remapped 1.6 S-cross before. Yes, I do know that Code 6 has remapped one before. Thanks to Grand I10 remap experience, they were out of my list.

Pete's :

Pete's has slashed the remap price to 19K. They had told can confirm about remap only after checking my car as they were not able to remap few S-Crosses. Also they asked me to send the picture of label on ECU. I did that and got a reply saying 99 percent it could be done and only at Cochin.

Kiirus :

Kiirus tuner was technically good. Kiirus is the only tuner in India who has tools to remap Honda Ivtec, Suzuki 1.2 K series etc. But they are from Mumbai and need atleast 3 cars to come down to any other city. Also Kiirus charges some amount even to revert back to stock map.

Viezu Pune :

It was nice talking to Suhas from Viezu. They are relatively new in India but well known abroad. Also they use latest tools to work on ECU like TOT. Many tuners solder on ecu board to make connections. TOT, Viezu and Kiirus told they do not solder and use spring loaded connectors.

Suhas was ready to come down to Mangalore if there are at least 2 cars. Also he assured me that map can be customised as per my need. I read about Viezu remap reviews(abroad) and looked like a good choice. They are into tuning industry for more than 2 decades.

GT Tuner's Delhi :

Akshay was very technically sound. He answered all my queries. But they would not come down to Mangalore to remap my car. He gets the remap from Quantum Tuning UK.

Red Rooster Dyna Drive :

This is a tuning box and similar like RD single channel box which controls only fuel rail pressure.

T8 Performance, Bangalore :

I had sent them a message in fb and got reply that remap is possible. I couldn't find any reviews or heard about them. I just happened to find them in fb.

Price Factor :

These are the standard prices quoted for 1.6 S-Cross remap.

TOT : 36K

Wolf Moto : 30K

Kiirus : 30K

T8 Performance : 28K

Viezu : 25K

GT Tuner's : 22K

Pete's : 19K

RD dual channel box : 26K

Red Rooster Dyna Drive : 21K

I have experienced Pete's, Code 6, Wolf Moto, Race Dynamics and TOT in last 9 months. My friend too wanted to get remap for his 1.5 Polo TDI. We decided to get it done from same tuner.

Remap bug was biting me and my friend every day. I did not mind trying out Viezu as their tuners abroad have remapped 1.6 multijet engines. But my friend was little concerned as they are new in India and not many reviews are available online. We wanted a tuner nearby and good support. TOT was the obvious choice .

I did not waste any time. I called up Vivek and informed about 2 cars are ready to get TOT treatment. TOT has done so many VAG cars before and it was not at all a concern for my friend. 1.6 S-Cross was their first car. Vivek told me clearly that he has to take a successful read of my ECU and it might take time. Remap date was scheduled after a week.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th September 2016 at 01:54.
Dr.Naren is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 10:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6

Vivek came down to Mangalore to remap Polo 1.5 TDI and 1.6 S-Cross. Vivek had told Polo would take only 1 hour and he can't confirm about my S-Cross till he takes a full read of EEPROM. Both cars required opening up of ECU.

I wanted to check 0-100 timing in stock map. I had got very impressive 10.1 seconds in torque pro app. Vivek had got their V Box Sport. I did 3 runs and got best timing of 11.26 seconds. Autocar has got 11.5 in their V Box. I was happy that I could better their timing.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160908wa0006.jpg

After quick 0-100 runs, Remap process was initiated. ECU is located under wiper compartment. Vivek got the ECU out in just 10 minutes. It was a Bosch EDC17, made in Hungary ECU. Vivek opened the ECU carefully. This was the first time I saw ECU dissection. I was little scared because if the tool goes an inch more inside, ECU board would be damaged. Vivek did a good job and ECU was opened in 10 minutes.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160907wa0010.jpg

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160907wa0002.jpg

TOT doesn't solder on ECU board - Spring loaded connectors are used
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160907wa0008.jpg

TOT had got their Master tool to read and write the files. Tool software will show the picture of ECU, how to make connections etc. Vivek found minor difference in my ECU compared to the one listed in software. Tool was not able to identify my ECU and the read was not possible with existing protocol listed for S-Cross 1.6. He tried using different protocols and nothing worked.

It was beyond their limit now. It's upto tool manufacturer to develop the protocol. A tuner cannot do anything if he is not able to read/write the file.

Vivek got in touch with Sid and other support guys and started to work to sort out the issue. Vivek decided to remap my friend's polo. It took just 45 minutes and that car is one beast now. Post remap, car is doing 130 BHP (That's a huge gain from stock 90 BHP). For those who plan to remap, it doesn't make any sense to buy 1.5 GT TDI. Both regular and GT TDI could be taken to same power figures post remap. VW is charging a premium only for different ECU map. My friend was very happy. I tried doing 0-100 run in his remapped Polo and got 10.2 seconds. I was not happy with the run as I made few mistakes. It should be within 10 seconds for sure. Autocar claims around 13 seconds for 1.5 Polo TDI (90 HP). Oh boy, now his remapped Polo is faster than my Stock S-Cross.

We got back to S-Cross. After 2 hours, we had an update. We got a full read of EEPROM but there was a checksum error. Vivek assured nothing would have happened to ECU as it's only reading the file. Checksum error while writing might brick the ECU and car wouldn't even start. We connected the ECU back and the car did start, relieved!!. Tool manufacturer has to develop a proper protocol, correct the checksum etc. We knew it would take time. It was around 10 PM and did not receive any updates. Vivek was ready to stay back and remap the car next day. He was positive and said they would definitely do something as they have got the read of my ECU. But I was busy for next few days, So Vivek had to head back to Bangalore.

Most of the tuners would look if the said car is supported in their tool and would say it could be remapped. But for S-Cross, tool wouldn't be even able to read the file with existing protocol. Now I know, why Petes were not fully confident. They would have tried on 1.6 S-Cross before and Yes, they did tell that only few 1.6 S-Cross could be remapped.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th September 2016 at 08:19.
Dr.Naren is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 16:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I called Vivek next day and was happy to hear that TOT has sorted out the issue. I was very excited and remap was scheduled after 4 days. I badly wanted a remap for 1.6 S-Cross after driving my friend's remapped Polo and couldn't digest the fact that he was faster than stock 1.6 S-Cross.

1.6 S-Cross is not underpowered at all and it's a beast even in stock map. Remap was not a "need" here while my grand i10 badly deserved remap. I was actually very happy with stock performance. But I always knew that a remap can exploit that reserve potential. I was not behind any figures on paper. I wanted better in gear acceleration (stronger mid range).

My requirements were discussed with Sid :

1. Stronger mid range ( in gear acceleration)

2. Reduce turbo lag

3. Holding the peak torque for longer revv band and little more punch in top end.

4. EGR delete

Remap session : Round 2

Vivek came down to Mangalore again to remap my car. Reading of stock file took around 10 minutes. File was sent to Sid and tweaked file was sent after some time. Vivek flashed the new map and it took hardly 5 minutes. ECU was put back into car and I was praying that engine would switch on. Depressed the clutch and hit push start button, engine fired with TOT map. I was so relieved.

We went for a drive to check power gain, flat spots and mainly to monitor black smoke.

Below 1500 RPM : I was surprised to see that infamous turbo lag of 1.6 was literally gone!!

1500-3000 RPM : Brutal, very aggressive, Humongous torque and what not. Car was totally transformed and I have to learn to tame my beast in this power band.

3000-4000 RPM : Oh boy, car was still accelerating strongly. Revving freely and picked up speeds effortlessly. Good improvement compared to stock map.

4000 - 5200 RPM : It was little more free revving and gain was noticeable. I had asked Sid not to increase fueling at very top end and he too doesn't do it for street tune to keep EGT in check.

Overall, I was very happy and super excited about remap.

Estimated figures post remap :

Power : 150 BHP
Torque : 390 NM

Peak torque is around 390 NM. But sid has held around 350 NM even till 3000 RPM and that's making a big difference.

I was the happiest person on the world. But I was extremely disappointed when this happiness couldn't last for long.

What happened??

Vivek was supposed to go to Coimbatore and I was about to drop him at railway station. Suddenly there was check engine light in MID. Luckily, I had my OBD reader with me. I checked the errors and deleted it. But it came up again after some time. Error code description said faulty ECU, ECU programing malfunction etc. Car was still performing beautifully and engine never went into limp mode even with check engine light. Vivek decided to stay back and lost his money on tickets too. Full respect to his 100 percent dedication and commitment. We would be working on the car again next day. It was 11 30 PM and I had to head back home which is 50 KM away from Mangalore and I got an amazing 22.8 KMPL with sedate driving. I really really love this map and I hope round 3 remap session works out.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th September 2016 at 01:45.
Dr.Naren is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 07:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Remap Session : Round 3

I caught up with Vivek next day to sort out the error codes. It was not related to tweaks in maps or engine malfunction. It was due to protocol issues and checksum. Sid had already worked on the file previous night. Vivek flashed the new file. We put the ECU back in place and I was extremely happy with performance and the error codes were gone for good. Kudos to TOT for sorting out each issue patiently. Yes, it took 3 full days to do a successful remap for 1.6 S-Cross and it was really fruitful. Sid told me that my car has still more potential and he is working on it. He will give me an updated tune soon ( more aggressive map with EGR delete if possible). Sid has asked some time and he says my car would be lot more fun. I just can't imagine how it would be as I am already so impressed. I couldn't do proper V Box runs post remap. It should be sub 10 seconds for sure with present map. I am also planning to do a dyno run at Coimbatore after I get the updated tune.

FAQ : Remap for 1.6 S-Cross

1. Do you really think this car requires a remap?

No, remap is not a need for this car. It's a pure want.

2. Do you feel it's worth remapping this car?

Yes, definitely. If you are looking at outright performance with no drop in FE.

3. What about warranty claims?

It depends on your rapport with SA. Service centre guys don't look for a remap most of the times and also it won't show up on routine diagnostic scans. But a remap is definitely detectable if they look for it.

4. What about engine life?

Remap is a calculated risk. Suppose if the engine could run 2 lakh KM, engine life would be around 1.8 lakh KM post remap. I do not mind exploiting the reserve potential of my engine for 90 percent of it's life.

TOT Advantage :

1. Powerful cars, no drop in FE and minimal black smoke
2. Very good support. They have guys almost everywhere.

Disadvantage :

1. Price?? : It's not right to put it as disadvantage. Quality comes at a premium. And remember, with TOT you are getting the remap from Sid who is a certified tuner. I doubt if there is any other tuner like Sid in India.

P.S : All the diesel cars in my garage are running with TOT Map now : S-Cross 1.6, SX4 1.3 and Grand I10 1.1.

Thanks to Vivek and Sid for another wonderful remap!! You guys are redefining the Indian tuning scene

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th September 2016 at 12:09.
Dr.Naren is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 20:49   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 21:53   #6
BHPian

Great to hear about the excellent support all the way through from TOT. Hats off to them.

Do you have any data logs from the Torque app to share? I'm particularly interested in the MAF readings, as they can sort of be extrapolated to power & torque numbers, until you get a proper dyno run.

Last edited by d3mon : 14th September 2016 at 22:08.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 21:58   #7
BHPian

Whoa whoa whoa. What a journey. Good to read that turbo lag is gone. Now some updates to the suspension and you are good to go racing at the Chennai circuit.

Do any of the listed tuners do petrol cars? Can you please PM me the contact details for the Pune based tuner?

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics!

Nice and very exciting to read such a review. Have been following the S-Cross threads since the start. Kudos to having the courage (for the use of an acceptable word) on having it done. That vehicle is a beast by itself and boy it will be another story altogether now.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 22:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Great to hear about the excellent support all the way through from TOT. Hats off to them.

Do you have any data logs from the Torque app to share? I'm particularly interested in the MAF readings, as they can sort of be extrapolated to power & torque numbers, until you get a proper dyno run.
Yes, TOT has the best support which should be really appreciated. I have not logged any values yet. What do you need to check in specific? Only MAF reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. What a journey. Good to read that turbo lag is gone. Now some updates to the suspension and you are good to go racing at the Chennai circuit.

Do any of the listed tuners do petrol cars? Can you please PM me the contact details for the Pune based tuner?

Regards
Nikhil
Yes, it was worth the wait. Actually I had lost hope in between but TOT guys did not give up. We made good progress every day.

If it's a turbo petrol car, all tuners would do the remap. TOT does few NA petrol cars. I have seen many NA Petrol cars remapped by Kiirus in their fb page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Nice and very exciting to read such a review. Have been following the S-Cross threads since the start. Kudos to having the courage (for the use of an acceptable word) on having it done. That vehicle is a beast by itself and boy it will be another story altogether now.
Haha, it's a monster now. But according to TOT, this is not the best map. They will work on it further and give me something more exciting in future

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th September 2016 at 22:20.
Old 14th September 2016, 23:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, TOT has the best support which should be really appreciated. I have not logged any values yet. What do you need to check in specific? Only MAF reading?
May I suggest logging a WOT run in 2nd & 3rd gears from ~1000 RPM onwards?

Parameters: RPM, MAF, Intake Manifold pressure, Speed, Acc pedal position, Torque, Engine KW
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 00:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey! Knew only half the story. I didn't know there was a happy ending as well. Congrats. Pretty sure the car would have been transformed now.

Waiting for the dyno results and VBox run.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 08:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
May I suggest logging a WOT run in 2nd & 3rd gears from ~1000 RPM onwards?

Parameters: RPM, MAF, Intake Manifold pressure, Speed, Acc pedal position, Torque, Engine KW
Sure buddy!! I will update it here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hey! Knew only half the story. I didn't know there was a happy ending as well. Congrats. Pretty sure the car would have been transformed now.

Waiting for the dyno results and VBox run.
Thanks buddy!! Yes, I need to tame my beast now. Mantra is to be gentle on throttle .

I prefer doing Dyno at Red Rooster, Coimbatore. I will try catching up with Kryptonite in Bangalore for proper V Box runs .
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 09:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed out few pics!!

Round 1 :

TOT took successful read of my ECU. But there was a checksum error. They did not want to risk writing the tuned file that day. After installing the ECU back, there was an error code. I deleted the code and it never came back.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160907wa0011.jpg

Round 2 :

Car was remapped. I was very impressed with power and FE. But ECU threw up few more error codes. Vivek stayed back in Mangalore to sort out the issues next day.

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160912wa0007.jpg

Round 3 :

All issues sorted out. Those error codes were due to protocol and checksum issues. Protocol listed for 1.6 S-Cross doesn't even read the file. TOT had to work their testing guys abroad for my ECU.

Yes, that Thar would be also remapped by TOT during their next visit to Mangalore

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. EDIT: Issues on page 6-img20160914wa0001.jpg
Dr.Naren is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 18:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Remap Session : Round 3
Sid told me that my car has still more potential and he is working on it. He will give me an updated tune soon ( more aggressive map with EGR delete if possible). Sid has asked some time and he says my car would be lot more fun.
How is the machines mechanical limit judged during tuning.

I am interested to remap/tune my 85PS Duster. What puts doubt in my mind is the posts that suggest the 110 PS version is better suited for this.
The 85 PS might not be able to handle the additional torque and mechanical stress.
Old 15th September 2016, 18:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
How is the machines mechanical limit judged during tuning.

I am interested to remap/tune my 85PS Duster. What puts doubt in my mind is the posts that suggest the 110 PS version is better suited for this.
The 85 PS might not be able to handle the additional torque and mechanical stress.
All engine components can handle little more additional stress. Manufacturers design it that way. Manufacturers detune the engine considering driving habits of people, pollution norms, environmental variations etc. They play it very safe because they have to provide warranty. Remapping a car would obviously have little more strain on the engine compared to stock.

Duster 85 BHP could be also remapped to around 110. Periodic service intervals is a must post remap. Little early oil and air filter change would be better.

Last edited by manson : 16th September 2016 at 00:47. Reason: Typo.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed