Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 13:13   #211
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Got ceramic done for the new celerio in the family. Opted for Gyeon Mohs
Hi procrj,

Can you help with the place where you got this done and how much did it cost you?

Everyone else, if you can help, getting my first new car, the Verna, getting delivered tomorrow, in the 'flame orange' color, and I know for a fact that it'd look horrible if it loses its shine and becomes a dull shade. I don't think I can afford a ceramic treatment. I have not really gotten my previous car detailed/waxed, but committed to keeping the verna in top notch condition. I have a covered parking (basements), both at office and home. What kind of affordable detailing schedule I should maintain, what should be undertaken, where should I get it done in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2019 at 13:55. Reason: removed dead links from quoted post
Old 6th January 2019, 15:24   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
where you got this done
Got this done from Krithi care care. You can reach out to the number available here - https://krithicarcare.com/contact
Old 16th January 2019, 08:48   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Another game-changing product to counter the "ceramic" or "quartz" mafia charging a bomb for their services.

Ridiculous pricing for a gallon (3.8 litres), 37$.. assuming it lasts 2 years the cost will be about 2.5k rupees per year, AND it comes with its own microfibre towel.

40-50k paint protection anymore? I think not.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 09:10   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I applied Mr Fix on my Ninja six months ago, and must say its holding up to its name. Even today, after many soap water washes with a pressure hose, the water beading action is still as good as day one and so is the deep gloss.
The coating is still holding up after a year of application and beads water like when it was new I did not expect this kind of a result. Also, I had applied the same coating on my Celerio a few months back. The car was given in for bodywork since it required a new front bumper and bonnet. Turns out they painted the fender too to blend the shade. However, they did not sand down the fender and just added a coat above the existing one. The beauty of the ceramic coat was such that the new paint peeled off like paper a few weeks later revealing the glossy old paint. Went to the service center and they were gaping at it, since they were also caught red handed because firstly they painted a panel which wasnt supposed to be painted, and second their work quality was so bad as to not even sand a surface before painting it.

Here are some pictures:
The Ceramic Coating Thread-a0c520d8beb242969acf5d89edbb9535.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-3bb720d1e62b4bc38e7eae7fbd016906.jpg

I told them to clean up the new paint and leave the old one as it is, but those dimwits again proved their skills by excessively sanding one edge which totally stripped the paint to primer. Was promised a complete repaint of the panel during service.

Lesson learnt: If you have any sort of ceramic coating on your vehicle, do not do any sort of touch up painting and spot painting. The clear coat at least must be neatly sanded down before applying any paint.
Hence proved: This is anti-graffiti as well
audioholic is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:56   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
...my first new car, the Verna, getting delivered tomorrow, in the 'flame orange' color, and I know for a fact that it'd look horrible if it loses its shine and becomes a dull shade. I don't think I can afford a ceramic treatment. I have not really gotten my previous car detailed/waxed, but committed to keeping the Verna in top notch condition. I have a covered parking (basements), both at office and home. What kind of affordable detailing schedule I should maintain, what should be undertaken, where should I get it done in Bangalore?
What you can try doing is immediately get it to either 3M HSR or to Feynlab HSR to get the paint corrected, after which, follow through with a generous coat of Collinite 476s. It's a hard wax and will last you a year at least and the water beading properties are excellent. If you have the budget for PPF, go for that as well, but before the Wax application. I made the mistake of not getting PPF and Bangalore traffic has been very painful to deal with.

But if lasting shine is your only concern, and you have a shoestring budget, then Ceramic Coating will be your best bet. Check out audioholic's post immediately above this post.
Old 20th January 2019, 22:37   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Another game-changing product to counter the "ceramic" or "quartz" mafia charging a bomb for their services.
====
Ridiculous pricing for a gallon (3.8 litres), 37$.. assuming it lasts 2 years the cost will be about 2.5k rupees per year, AND it comes with its own microfibre towel.

This looks similar to Opti-Seal which also has similar features and costs a lil more.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube link for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
Old 21st January 2019, 09:37   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The coating is still holding up after a year of application and beads water like when it was new \
Can you please share the link to this product.

Also if you have a post wherein you have described how to apply it, please share the link to that as well
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:26   #218
BHPian

I have almost made my mind to go and try ceramic coating for my 3 weeks old MS Baleno Alpha. I have been going through this thread closely and finally decided to go for a try.

As few BHPians in this thread has suggested I am going for a cheaper option rather the expensive Ceramic Pro and similar big players.

Today I made a visit to Snash Car Care which is at Kannur of Kerala state. And the owner of that facility has explained to me very enthusiastically all the processes in detail and showed all the products and tools used. There are many pre-processes associated to the ceramic coating. And what I understood from his conversation is that they are pretty much serious with this industry.

Before I proceed with it I would be great if anyone could advise on the below:

1. There are 2 packages from which I have to choose one considering my budget:
A) 1 base layer + 1 Top layer ceramic coating (2 free top coating services for 1 year)
B) 3 base layers + 1 Top layer ceramic coating (6 free top coating in 3 years)

Option B pricing is 75% mark up from option A. Which one should I go for?

2. They are using Puris Jade Quartz product for base layer and Puris Jade ICE for top layer. Any thoughts on these products?
Old 26th January 2019, 08:12   #219
BHPian

There are so many coatings in the market. But to choose the right one for your car, you should look at what people have been using for quite some time and whether they actually last that long? I guess that's how we buy cars right? By choosing a dependable product. Search for the most popular coatings and stick with them as there is a high chance they are being used worldwide, hence proving their durability in most conditions. Look for user reviews and not company videos. Every one claims there coating is the best. But compared to what? And one more thing, Ceramic Coating is the last step of the entire process of protecting the paint, wheels, glass etc. So you should mainly look at the detailers ability to perfect the preparations prior to Ceramic Coating application.
It's a big investment, so might as well do it right.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 08:22   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
=====

Please watch more videos of the product. It's a spray sealant. Not a coating. And it doesn't have the protection abilities of a proper Ceramic Coating. And the video maker Pan still prefers Cquartz for protection.

A wax or sealant are excellent protectors of paint, but a Ceramic Coating is better in protection and longevity.

The best combo in my opinion is a base Ceramic Coating for long term protection and a coat of some awesome wax or sealant every 3-4 months over it. Best of both worlds.
Like mine is Gyeon One as base and I top it with either Collinite Marq d'Elegance or Dodo Juice Orange Crush.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2019 at 21:47. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube link for replies, affects readability. Thanks.
NOS Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:39   #221
BHPian

Finally carried out Ceramic Coating on my 1 month old MS Baleno from a nearby detailing center.

I am not in a position to comment on its properties like hydrophobic effect etc as it’s still on its curing process. Certainly there has been a slight increase in its gloss. What I understood is that getting the ceramic coating done from a professional is way better and recommended than DIY.

Even though I don’t hold much knowledge I will try to list out the processes and products that were applied on my car.
1. Wash
2. Claying (3m clay)
3. Compounding (3m Fast Cut Plus)
4. Polishing Compound (Mirka Polarshine 15)
5. Again a Wash
6. Prep
7. Polishing (Puris A60 caliber)
8. Three Base Layer Ceramic Coating (Puris Jade Quartz)
9. One Top layer ceramic coating (Puris Jade Ice)
10. Sealant (Puris A68 Jade Reboot).

Couple of photos after ceramic coating.
The Ceramic Coating Thread-balenoceramicp2.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-balenoceramicp1.jpg
shelby GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:00   #222
BHPian

@shelby GT - Looks great and one can easily mistake these pictures from some brochure photoshoot which also involves Photoshop to enhance the pictures.

Anyone has pictures of the car in the same location after a wash and before the coating? I just wanted to see the difference in Gloss as the pics in their detailing centers with the multiple lights everywhere does help get better pictures.
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:20   #223
BHPian

@Mr. Nobody This photo was taken with my mobile and I can ensure that there has been no Photoshop done for this. But I definitely agree to you that all those lighting in the studio will add extra charm to the car.

For all those who did ceramic coating earlier, what will be the normal relative increase in the gloss? Between 10 to 20% increase?
shelby GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:23   #224
BHPian

Hello All,

I am an owner of a Skoda Rapid Edition X DSG. Ownership thread for background info on the car and ceramic coating can be found here. (Skoda Rapid Edition X - Initial Ownership Review)

I had the ceramic coating done from Ultimate Detailerz just a week after taking delivery of the car. Following are the points that i noticed for the process , compared to 3M or other vendors that i had approached to understand the coating process and pricing.

1. The Car needed to be thoroughly decontaminated and an iron removal process was carried out. I was surprised to see the amount of run off of the contaminants in a new car. This process itself took many around 2 hours to complete. This readied the vehicle for the next steps with a virgin paint finish minus all contaminants.

2. The coating was applied section by section and adequate time was dedicated for the curing by heat.

3. There was no rush by UDZ to complete the work in a hurry which gave me the confidence that my car was being pampered, as i would like to be.

After having lived with the ceramic coating for an year now, following are my observations :

1. The Coating does add a bling to the paint finish and you can always feel as if the car is just waxed while running your fingers over the paint.

2. I just got the car washed once in 3 months and the rest of the time, a gentle dusting with the jopasu duster is enough to get rid of the dirt. (Unless it is muddy after rains)

3. Zero wax treatment over the last one year. That alone has saved me around 5K annually. (I got my other car (Figo D) washed and waxed every alternate month from 3M)

Now to the some Q & A :

Q: Does it prevent scratches ?

A : Not completely. Its just an added layer over the clear coat and has a better scratch resistance. However, anything that would normally cut through the clear-coat to the paint beneath would do the same to the ceramic coating as well. The damage might be lesser since the ceramic coating acts as a sacrificial layer and can be topped up.

Q : Is it better than a PPF?

A : Certainly a big NO. The objective of a PPF and Ceramic coating is completely different and needs to be understood before deciding on the appropriate application. The PPF would give a better degree of protection but works out way more expensive for a mid sized sedan compared to a ceramic coating. Point to remember is that if u intend to go for a PPF after a ceramic coating, the PPF may not stick as intended since the paint finish becomes much slicker after a Ceramic Coating.

Q : Does it prevent Swirl marks?

A: No. The swirls do appear over a period of time and needs to be rectified as usual. The resistance level is higher but it is not swirl proof. (Neither is a PPF swirl proof)

Q : Is Ceramic Coating worth the price, or, is it better just to have the car cleaned and detailed professionally on a regular basis?

A : This is purely subjective and depends on the individual. Answering for myself, I would say that it has been worth the money, so far, due to the added ease of keeping the car clean and shiny at all times. Since I have a 5 year package, i hope that the performance of the coating will hold up over time with the yearly maintenance and top ups.

To sum up, I would say that if you have money to spare, its worth to get a Ceramic Coating in a new vehicle. Typically, a ceramic coating also has addons like an interior coating and plastic dressings, which does help to keep the plastics in agood shape and stand the test of time and weather.
shubhu3112 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:40   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhu3112 View Post
Hello All,

I am an owner of a Skoda Rapid Edition X DSG. Ownership thread for background info on the car and ceramic coating can be found here. (Skoda Rapid Edition X - Initial Ownership Review)

I had the ceramic coating done from Ultimate Detailerz just a week after taking delivery of the car. Following are the points that i noticed for the process , compared to 3M or other vendors that i had approached to understand the coating process and pricing.

1. The Car needed to be thoroughly decontaminated and an iron removal process was carried out. I was surprised to see the amount of run off of the contaminants in a new car. This process itself took many around 2 hours to complete. This readied the vehicle for the next steps with a virgin paint finish minus all contaminants.

2. The coating was applied section by section and adequate time was dedicated for the curing by heat.

3. There was no rush by UDZ to complete the work in a hurry which gave me the confidence that my car was being pampered, as i would like to be.

After having lived with the ceramic coating for an year now, following are my observations :

1. The Coating does add a bling to the paint finish and you can always feel as if the car is just waxed while running your fingers over the paint.

2. I just got the car washed once in 3 months and the rest of the time, a gentle dusting with the jopasu duster is enough to get rid of the dirt. (Unless it is muddy after rains)

3. Zero wax treatment over the last one year. That alone has saved me around 5K annually. (I got my other car (Figo D) washed and waxed every alternate month from 3M)

Now to the some Q & A :

Q: Does it prevent scratches ?

A : Not completely. Its just an added layer over the clear coat and has a better scratch resistance. However, anything that would normally cut through the clear-coat to the paint beneath would do the same to the ceramic coating as well. The damage might be lesser since the ceramic coating acts as a sacrificial layer and can be topped up.

Q : Is it better than a PPF?

A : Certainly a big NO. The objective of a PPF and Ceramic coating is completely different and needs to be understood before deciding on the appropriate application. The PPF would give a better degree of protection but works out way more expensive for a mid sized sedan compared to a ceramic coating. Point to remember is that if u intend to go for a PPF after a ceramic coating, the PPF may not stick as intended since the paint finish becomes much slicker after a Ceramic Coating.

Q : Does it prevent Swirl marks?

A: No. The swirls do appear over a period of time and needs to be rectified as usual. The resistance level is higher but it is not swirl proof. (Neither is a PPF swirl proof)

Q : Is Ceramic Coating worth the price, or, is it better just to have the car cleaned and detailed professionally on a regular basis?

A : This is purely subjective and depends on the individual. Answering for myself, I would say that it has been worth the money, so far, due to the added ease of keeping the car clean and shiny at all times. Since I have a 5 year package, i hope that the performance of the coating will hold up over time with the yearly maintenance and top ups.

To sum up, I would say that if you have money to spare, its worth to get a Ceramic Coating in a new vehicle. Typically, a ceramic coating also has addons like an interior coating and plastic dressings, which does help to keep the plastics in agood shape and stand the test of time and weather.
Your review makes it very clear what proper Ceramic Coatings do. It is highly dependent on the person or company applying it. And also they must be thoroughly knowledgeable for such a process. In fact, most people don't realize that the Coating itself is the last stage of the process. The real work is in the prep before Coating application.

Ultimate Detailerz is the oldest PROPER detailing outfit in India with a ton of experience and knowledge. Good choice.

And thanks for the spot on review.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks