Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 17:03   #466
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Hi all. I have a small query. My Kia Seltos gets washed daily and has a ceramic coating done. My concern is the plastics on the exterior of the car which are getting faded by the day. I was recommended Interior Dashboard Dresser from 3M, which I have been using for a while but there is no longevity (fades in less than 2 days).

Looking forward to a more durable and slightly long lasting solution. Thank you.
Old 10th March 2022, 17:52   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhp View Post
Hi all. I have a small query. My Kia Seltos gets washed daily and has a ceramic coating done. My concern is the plastics on the exterior of the car which are getting faded by the day. I was recommended Interior Dashboard Dresser from 3M, which I have been using for a while but there is no longevity (fades in less than 2 days).

Looking forward to a more durable and slightly long lasting solution. Thank you.

Your external plastics should be turning off white shade I presume. They cant fade that easily. The fading thing used to happen in the past where the vehicles used to be parked out in the sun for years. Below is what i would recommend.

1. Use a toothbrush(Soft bristle) and an APC(All Purpose Cleaner in some dilution ratio). Spray it liberally on the plastics(Section at a time).
2. After a few seconds brush the area thoroughly using medium pressure for a minute or two. This should remove all the gunk which might have accumulated in that area.
3. Wash that area with a car shampoo and then dry.
4. Use any exterior plastic product(Carpro PERL) is a good one . You can look for others from Turtle wax or any other reputed brand and use it like every week or month depending upon the running of your vehicle. This should maintain the plastics well.

You also mentioned that the car is washed daily. I would refrain from doing that unless your vehicle is used everyday and gets so dirty that it requires a proper wash. Another reason i would refrain from washing it daily is that it would lead to micro swirls early in the life of the paint.
In a nutshell wash it when required .Good for the environment and avoids unnecessary effort.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 18:24   #468
BHPian

Quote:

I’m assuming your plastic trim wasn’t coated, if it was then take it back to the shop as using any brush to clean will strip it. Have the installers do any required maintenance on it to maintain your warranty (if given). Otherwise use APC (all purpose cleaner) and a brush to clean thoroughly (multiple passes may be needed for heavily soiled trim). Rinse and then wipe the trim down with 25% IPA (iso propyl alcohol) solution and then apply your preferred dressing. Carpo PERL used undiluted can last over a month.

Continuing with your daily cleaner ruins all exterior surfaces in a short period of time, paint and plastics included. Do a touchless rinse every alternate day and you won’t have any future issues. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 10th March 2022 at 18:29.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 20:48   #469
BHPian

Quote:

If your car is washed daily with hard water, these plastic claddings do tend to get faded. But it they have been coated properly, they should not fade that easily.

Sharing a few pics of my car which was ceramic coated in Dec 2020 and till now I don't see any fading issues with the claddings.

Wash frequency is weekly once with a rinse-less wash and pressure wash if required in a month.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0018.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0017.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0015.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0016.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0014.jpg  

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img20220301wa0012.jpg  

D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 09:52   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Your external plastics should be turning off white shade I presume. They cant fade that easily. The fading thing used to happen in the past where the vehicles used to be parked out in the sun for years. Below is what i would recommend.

1. Use a toothbrush(Soft bristle) and an APC(All Purpose Cleaner in some dilution ratio). Spray it liberally on the plastics(Section at a time).
2. After a few seconds brush the area thoroughly using medium pressure for a minute or two. This should remove all the gunk which might have accumulated in that area.
3. Wash that area with a car shampoo and then dry.
4. Use any exterior plastic product(Carpro PERL) is a good one . You can look for others from Turtle wax or any other reputed brand and use it like every week or month depending upon the running of your vehicle. This should maintain the plastics well.

You also mentioned that the car is washed daily. I would refrain from doing that unless your vehicle is used everyday and gets so dirty that it requires a proper wash. Another reason i would refrain from washing it daily is that it would lead to micro swirls early in the life of the paint.
In a nutshell wash it when required .Good for the environment and avoids unnecessary effort.

Thank you sir. My drive everyday ( office on Sat and Sun also ) is 30km one side. Car gets parked outside therefore collects dust. I intend to change the pattern of washing and resort to rinse alternate days without touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’m assuming your plastic trim wasn’t coated, if it was then take it back to the shop as using any brush to clean will strip it. Have the installers do any required maintenance on it to maintain your warranty (if given). Otherwise use APC (all purpose cleaner) and a brush to clean thoroughly (multiple passes may be needed for heavily soiled trim). Rinse and then wipe the trim down with 25% IPA (iso propyl alcohol) solution and then apply your preferred dressing. Carpo PERL used undiluted can last over a month.

Continuing with your daily cleaner ruins all exterior surfaces in a short period of time, paint and plastics included. Do a touchless rinse every alternate day and you won’t have any future issues. Cheers.
Thank you sir. I am going to call the detailing shop, inquire and if necessary, ask him to redo the plastic area in the next service of coating due shortly. Would you suggest I do the cleaning through an APC before visiting the detailing shop or let him have the first shot at it? Thank you.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2022 at 09:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 13th March 2022, 11:37   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir. I am going to call the detailing shop, inquire and if necessary, ask him to redo the plastic area in the next service of coating due shortly. Would you suggest I do the cleaning through an APC before visiting the detailing shop or let him have the first shot at it? Thank you.
No problem my friend. If the trims are coated, take it straight to the shop as scrubbing with a brush may strip the coating and they may refuse any warranty previously given. If the trims are not coated, feel free to clean with an APC and brush and see it it solves the issue. Tip: if you’re unsure, use masking tape around the paint edges near the trim to avoid scuffing the paint with the brush.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 21:49   #472
BHPian

Sharing in public interest. This article explains the basic differences between SiO2 (silicon dioxide), SiC (silicon carbide) and graphene coatings. It’s concise, honest and contains no hype unlike most of the info you find on coatings online. Link- https://siramicdetail.com/whats-the-...ramic-coating/
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 22:32   #473
BHPian

Guys I need help in making decision regarding ceramic coating. My new Midnight Black Xuv 700 got a very minor scratches not sure how but it is giving me sleepless night. I know that ceramic coating isn't scratch proof and wouldn't be of any help. PPF is out of budget. So my brain says to not do ceramic coating as it is not achieving my objective and should use that money to perform detailing/wax/polish every six months. Also, even after ceramic coating there is additional cost to maintain. However, heart says that just do it as it will give some protection and will be scratch resistance to some extent.

The 3M is costing 24k for ceramic coating and ppf is at ₹400 per square feet.
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:38   #474
BHPian

Hi all, I am still super confused about Ceramic / PFF / combo of both, and also am unsure about a few other details.

1. Ceramic coating makes the panels hydrophobic and hence PPF won't stick on top of Ceramic is what I hear.

How about the other accessories, will they stick on? I am interested in putting things like bumper protectors, door side protectors, door edge protectors, rain visor etc.

Would these stick on to the ceramic? Or would this have to be installed first and then ceramic done around this?

2. Also another doubt is wrt PPF + Ceramic. I'm thinking of doing PPF for bumper, bonnet, fenders etc, and Ceramic for the rest. However Ceramic seems to render a wet look with high gloss. The PPF covered areas will have the default factory shine.

Won't this be a mismatch? Will this look out of place or will the look be cohesive?
Old 14th April 2022, 12:45   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
Guys I need help in making decision regarding ceramic coating. My new Midnight Black Xuv 700 got a very minor scratches not sure how but it is giving me sleepless night. I know that ceramic coating isn't scratch proof and wouldn't be of any help. PPF is out of budget. So my brain says to not do ceramic coating as it is not achieving my objective and should use that money to perform detailing/wax/polish every six months. Also, even after ceramic coating there is additional cost to maintain. However, heart says that just do it as it will give some protection and will be scratch resistance to some extent.

The 3M is costing 24k for ceramic coating and ppf is at ₹400 per square feet.
First of do confirm what type of PPF is being used here (TPU is what you want), as 400 is less than half of what a quality film will cost. Expel/Optimum/Llumar and 3M self healing films are in the range of ₹800-950/sq.ft.

Ceramic coating isn’t intended to provide scratch protection, improper washing will ruin whatever paint protection you apply upto and including self healing films as the self healing is possible for very, very fine swirls and can be done only a finite amount of times.

Ceramic coatings, when proper washing is followed, don’t require any maintenance short of a chemical decon once a year and that’s fairly cheap, you can even do it yourself with tar and ferrous removers. Any shop that’s selling you a coating claiming it needs periodic reapplication every few months is either a) not using a high quality ceramic coating or b) themselves ignorant of how long a coating can last when properly cared for.

If you don’t get a coating, use a good quality paint sealant and follow safe washing technique, it’s the only thing that’ll keep your paint looking new even after a decade. Otherwise it takes a few days (less sometimes) to swirl up a brand new car and ruin it’s gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Hi all, I am still super confused about Ceramic / PFF / combo of both, and also am unsure about a few other details.

1. Ceramic coating makes the panels hydrophobic and hence PPF won't stick on top of Ceramic is what I hear.

How about the other accessories, will they stick on? I am interested in putting things like bumper protectors, door side protectors, door edge protectors, rain visor etc.

Would these stick on to the ceramic? Or would this have to be installed first and then ceramic done around this?

2. Also another doubt is wrt PPF + Ceramic. I'm thinking of doing PPF for bumper, bonnet, fenders etc, and Ceramic for the rest. However Ceramic seems to render a wet look with high gloss. The PPF covered areas will have the default factory shine.

Won't this be a mismatch? Will this look out of place or will the look be cohesive?
1) PPF is always installed first, it’s never done the other way around, Ceramic coating can very easily be applied over PPF. For accessories you want to install them right after paint correction but before any protection is applied (be it a coating or sealant). If not polishing paint, use a 25% IPA wipe on the area before sticking the accessory.

2) Would advise against partial PPF for two reasons:

a) It will start to discolour after a year and as film yellows the paint will look different on panels with film on it. Ceramic coatings do not discolour and maintain factory finish.

b) PPF panels will have a much more pronounced orange peel (optical distortion) compared to the panels with just a coating on them and there will be a mismatch between orange peel levels on adjacent panels.

Note: PPF covered areas will not have the default factory shine as using film increases optical distortion and reduces light reflection, just like using a screen protector on a phone. High quality films can minimise this effect but never eliminate it.

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th April 2022 at 12:47.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 15:49   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
First of do confirm what type of PPF is being used here (TPU is what you want), as 400 is less than half of what a quality film will cost. Expel/Optimum/Llumar and 3M self healing films are in the range of ₹800-950/sq.ft.

Ceramic coating isn’t intended to provide scratch protection, improper washing will ruin whatever paint protection you apply upto and including self healing films as the self healing is possible for very, very fine swirls and can be done only a finite amount of times.

Ceramic coatings, when proper washing is followed, don’t require any maintenance short of a chemical decon once a year and that’s fairly cheap, you can even do it yourself with tar and ferrous removers. Any shop that’s selling you a coating claiming it needs periodic reapplication every few months is either a) not using a high quality ceramic coating or b) themselves ignorant of how long a coating can last when properly cared for.

If you don’t get a coating, use a good quality paint sealant and follow safe washing technique, it’s the only thing that’ll keep your paint looking new even after a decade. Otherwise it takes a few days (less sometimes) to swirl up a brand new car and ruin it’s gloss.

Thank you for details. I did ceramic coating from Detailing Devils at 30k. The package is for 05 years where every year detailing and maintenance coat would be applied. I went for this package as I don't have to spent now on detailing twice yearly. It was told to me that to do proper washing and care and rest would be taken care by them yearly once. Also, I think PPF is risky as it depends upon the skill of the person and you need to be lucky to have that person doing your car. As per my research and discussion, PPF needs to be changed after 05 years so no point in spending so much. Also, images of PPF gone wrong also made me decide cermamic coating which would atleast protect paint and shine.

Last edited by Piyush_DT : 14th April 2022 at 15:51. Reason: Inadvertently deleted end quote
Piyush_DT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 11:50   #477
BHPian

I plan to get a ceramic coating on my 5 year old octavia(magic black colour). A few panels have some minor scratches where paint has come off. The scratches are in particular noticeable on a clean car. Should I repaint those panels before the ceramic application. As there is no dent, I am a bit apprehensive about should I repaint a few panels or not.
axe_deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 12:29   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Dear Team,
=====
PS: The purpose of this thread is just to gain more knowledge about this product, and clear the doubts. No way am I commercially or personally related to them.
Hi!
I took delivery of my MG Hector Shine CVT in Feb this year, dealership was hard selling ceramic coating, I dropped it as I was not entirely convinced and they were charging Rs.30,000 for it. And information on this would be very useful, and if possible where to get it done in Mumbai city
Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2022 at 12:41. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 24th April 2022, 22:08   #479
BHPian

Any experience on 'Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra'?
Old 25th April 2022, 18:42   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya1 View Post
Any experience on 'Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra'?
It’s a solid coating, make sure the shop installing it is an authorised Gtechniq installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balajiriyer View Post
Hi!
I took delivery of my MG Hector Shine CVT in Feb this year, dealership was hard selling ceramic coating, I dropped it as I was not entirely convinced and they were charging Rs.30,000 for it. And information on this would be very useful, and if possible where to get it done in Mumbai city
Thanks!
Try Ceramic Pro, Detailing Mafia or authorised CarPro CQuartz installers in Mumbai. Never get detailing jobs done from a dealer as they simply lack the know how in most cases despite charging the same (roughly) as professional detail shops. For a dealer it’s a value add service, for a shop it’s their core business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
I plan to get a ceramic coating on my 5 year old octavia(magic black colour). A few panels have some minor scratches where paint has come off. The scratches are in particular noticeable on a clean car. Should I repaint those panels before the ceramic application. As there is no dent, I am a bit apprehensive about should I repaint a few panels or not.
If your nail can catch the scratches they’re too deep to be removed fully without a repaint. You will lose factory finish in case you repaint. In case you do decide to paint, wait a minimum of 7-9 days before giving it for ceramic coating as fresh paint cures for about a week post application.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks