Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2023, 07:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
I came across this brand recently when i was hunting for yellow fog lamps. Cant seem to find much reviews of this brand online on other platforms.
It is a decent local brand, nothing out-of-ordinary but can also be expected to be fairly robust. Their relays are pretty popular.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 11:42   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I know here we are looking for main headlights, so please delete if this is off topic.

This is my setup. 3" projectors in fog location with 3 colours (white, off-white and yellow).
Since my main headlights are just showoff Gwagon style hence my main working lights are these projector fog lights. After this I really don't need to switch on main headlights.
Which company are these lights from and any link / reference to buy them? Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th October 2023 at 13:35. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
Old 30th October 2023, 08:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

A German/Chinese brand called aozoom which is a specialty LED headlight manufacturer has come up with custom sealed 7 inch headlights specifically for Thar. The high beam going by it's placement makes me guess that it is a laser high beam. Price 35k

Old 6th November 2023, 13:15   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
Thank you GTO. Sharing the pictures as promised. Totally loved the new upgrade. I'm sharing a few details here on how to order these lights directly from Stedi website for benefit of wider community.
Dear Fellow Thar Enthusiasts,

I've recently upgraded my New Mahindra Thar with Stedi 7 inch Homage Headlights and find myself in need of some guidance. Could anyone with experience in this area inform me on how to properly align these headlights? I am specifically looking for the location of the adjustment screws or points for both sides.

Any tips, instructional videos, or diagrams that could aid me in this process would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and assistance!

Best regards,

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th November 2023 at 13:38. Reason: For ease of reading, please avoid quoting the full long post. Thank you!
Old 12th November 2023, 16:43   #110
BHPian

Why not THAR owners trying headlights of Husqvarna Vitpilen/Svartpilen ?
Being OEM, the quality might not be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-img_3931.jpeg  

kashyapz8055 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 15:02   #111
BHPian

Hella has launched this at 49500/- and take home price of 46500 with one year subscription of Qubo Tracker ( as quoted)

A Hella distributor that one of the mates here shared details of sent this today on WhatsApp

I have Stedi Carbon Black but these look nice especially their DRL and maybe parking lights might be H shaped

A tad expensive but Hella is charging royalty. It is Chinese in origin.

Thar has a created a very big market for accessories.

Disclaimer: I have no conflict of interest !
Attached Thumbnails
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-fb854952c9604a4296f66994e9cce76e.jpeg  

Urorobo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 23:15   #112

I had the Hella lights installed on my Thar today. Initially, I wanted to get the Stedi lights, but they are not available in my state or anywhere nearby, and I had to go back to the US in less than a week, so I had to settle with these. So far, the Hellas are doing an amazing job compared to the cheap Chinese ones.

I will post my impressions soon. These cost me 44,000 INR, excluding fitting.

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-img_1469.jpg
Zyress is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 00:10   #113
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Finally, completed the long pending Headlight upgrade for my Thar.

Need to Upgrade :

- During night drives on 2 lane highways, heavy vehicles never use their low beams by default. We had to slow down and strain yourself to pass them.
- On 4 lane highways, the stock lights were manageable for driving, but when we ask for a pass from behind, the stock lights were very dull on the rear view mirrors of the vehicle at front.

These were the main reasons for the upgrade.

List of options I shortlisted :

> LED bulbs instead of stock halogens - light just scatters too much and there is no proper throw during high beam (light just spreads)
> Minus lights, kingkong lights - All these were mostly made in china and some how did not appeal me with the lighting performance.
> Use higher wattage bulb with relay setup - I did not want to add additional wiring / setup and was looking for a direct swap.
> Hella / Lightforce lights - Lighting performance was good but not that cost effective. (Almost made up my mind to go for this option)

Finally came across lights from STEDI (few articles are already there in our forum and one of my friend strongly recommended)

Options available in STEDI - Homage / Iris chrome / Carbon Black series.

Chose Homage series as it gives the highest beam distance among the 3 [353m Vs 235m Vs 235m respectively]
Homage series give the highest throw in both high beam and low beam modes.

For more technical details - https://www.stedi.com.au/led-convers...ght-units.html

Fitting :
It is a direct swap except the frames which the headlight sits needs to be filed a little bit. Did the fitting at my friends place. The technician helped with aligning the lights as well.
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-fitting1.jpg

Low Beam :
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-low_beam.jpg

High Beam :
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-high_beam.jpg

High Beam with Aux (Projectors with HID)
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-high_beam_withaux.jpg

Street View with Low Beam :
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-street_lowbeam.jpg

Street View with High Beam :
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-street_highbeam.jpg

Note : These pictures were captured with some lights nearby and not in fully dark area.

Next upgrade will be a light bar!

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2024 at 19:31.
nax04 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 12:25   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyress View Post
I had the Hella lights installed on my Thar today. Initially, I wanted to get the Stedi lights, but they are not available in my state or anywhere nearby, and I had to go back to the US in less than a week, so I had to settle with these. So far, the Hellas are doing an amazing job compared to the cheap Chinese ones.

I will post my impressions soon. These cost me 44,000 INR, excluding fitting.

Attachment 2563702
Will look forward to your impressions. I have these lights shortlisted along with Stedi. Hella is expensive than Stedi but Hella has always delivered when it comes to their products and the ease of availability makes it a better choice.
nightfury95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 19:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nax04 View Post
Finally, completed the long pending Headlight upgrade for my Thar.

Low Beam :
Attachment 2565410

High Beam :
Attachment 2565411

Street View with Low Beam :
Attachment 2565412

Street View with High Beam :
Attachment 2565413
Are you sure that there is no mixup with these pictures? Because, there does not seem to be any difference in beam pattern at all between high and low beams, and there seems to be no difference in the Street View pics as well, except for an increase in brightness. If this is indeed how this appears, I'd advise you to re-check the installation. It seems like the high beam is always on in both cases, as there is a prominent bright spot in the middle of each beam, and no flat cut-off.

With projector/LED headlamps, the low beam is always cut off in a line, with a dip on the driver side for reducing glare to oncoming traffic. When the high beam is turned on, generally you get an extra bright spot in the middle that shines straight ahead.

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-screenshot-20240211-191157.jpg
This is from the STEDI headlamp installation guide, and shows what the low beam pattern is supposed to look like.

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-mceclip0.png
This is another pic from the STEDI headlamp installation page and shows the difference between high and low beams.

I'm posting this as it would be dangerous for you and your oncoming drivers is you drive with the high beams on all the time.

Last edited by vivekgk : 11th February 2024 at 19:19.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:30   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Are you sure that there is no mixup with these pictures? Because, there does not seem to be any difference in beam pattern at all between high and low beams, and there seems to be no difference in the Street View pics as well, except for an increase in brightness. If this is indeed how this appears, I'd advise you to re-check the installation. It seems like the high beam is always on in both cases, as there is a prominent bright spot in the middle of each beam, and no flat cut-off.

With projector/LED headlamps, the low beam is always cut off in a line, with a dip on the driver side for reducing glare to oncoming traffic. When the high beam is turned on, generally you get an extra bright spot in the middle that shines straight ahead.

Attachment 2571698
This is from the STEDI headlamp installation guide, and shows what the low beam pattern is supposed to look like.

Attachment 2571704
This is another pic from the STEDI headlamp installation page and shows the difference between high and low beams.

I'm posting this as it would be dangerous for you and your oncoming drivers is you drive with the high beams on all the time.

The alignments and connections for high & low beams are double checked.
This model was specifically installed since it has a very good throw even in low beams.

In the street view pics - low beam does not illuminate the walls directly but the high beams does.

Also, I slightly tilted the headlights downwards (2 to 4 degrees) due to the height of the vehicle.
nax04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 12:42   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

Attachment 2571698

Attachment 2571704

Yes. You are right! I use the stedi's and they have a very similar pattern for both low beam and high beam. Only a slightly extended view with high beams. They only seem to make the same path brighter with high beams.
For Indian road conditions only these are not sufficient to provide good illumination. Feedback after using these for over a year now.
Starscream1188 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:58   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyapz8055 View Post
Why not THAR owners trying headlights of Husqvarna Vitpilen/Svartpilen ?
Being OEM, the quality might not be an issue.
I still don't understand why people don't put more bike headlights, esp 7" sealed beams, in Thars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It is a decent local brand, nothing out-of-ordinary but can also be expected to be fairly robust. Their relays are pretty popular.
Just had a chat with a technician from Vishnu - and they're manufacturing right next to my place in sector 2, NOIDA. +919871301846

A few pointers about their 3 inch LED fog lights:
  1. The source LED is not yellow. It's filtered yellow via the glass lens. Supposedly leads to a 10% luminance drop. Debatable. Well they have a clear white options as well for people who want max lux.
  2. They've gone with a reflector based system instead of projector for reasons.. That I do not know except that the cornering spread is supposedly better this way without compromising long range in a big way. And hopefully they'll be easier on oncoming traffic cause the high beam from the Chinese projectors is a real menace.
  3. There is no high/ low mechanical shutter so they'll last longer.
  4. There is no fin-based heatsink but there is an inbuilt fan that the Chinese variants don't have. The waterproof breather membranes supposedly allow for a degree of ventilation. Debatable, but let's see.
  5. They're trying to cater to the market that is flooded with Chinese 'let's make the front page' electricals and are giving a homebrewn Indian product for a lower cost of ownership. I second this thought seeing how commonplace fires have become and that even insurance companies will ditch you given a fog light change. Furthermore, the Chinese pieces generally need you to set up a connector, while the Vaishnu have waterproof connectors on the relay and the lights as well.
  6. Given that they're 35W (H11) each side, a harness may be in order. Stock is 19W (H16). Maybe a good idea long term. But, boy, my Thar has enough aftermarket wiring today.
  7. The housing is powder coated, and the yellow tint in the lens is a film on the inside of the glass. The same process holds up well on the 130W aux lights that they sell and they claim it'll hold up equally well.
Product link.

Alternatively, if one knows of really good 3 inch sealed fog lights besides Vaishnu, let me know.

I'll be trying out a set and reporting back.
So far I've used:
  1. Stock fog lights with stock bulbs
  2. Stock fogs with RD LEDs (70W pair)
  3. Chinese 3 inch projectors (Maxxlink) with RD LEDs
  4. The same thing above with HIDs

Last edited by wooka : 15th March 2024 at 14:22.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 11:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post

So far I've used:
Since you have been researching/experimenting with these, may be you can help me out here. Am currently running stock headlights as well as fogs. The vehicle is mostly used in hot/arid climate where rain/fog isn't much of an issue. So, I was thinking of replacing the OEM fogs with some kinda aux lights in there (same location) that would supplement the pathetic stock headlights. Anything that is not cheapo Chinese, will be plug-n-play (no extra wiring), and adequately bright without being obnoxious to others on the road.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) happen to have any advice/recommendation for me?

Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2024, 13:10   #120
BHPian

The options for 3 inch sealed lights in that position are rather limited. Frankly, the economic Chinese ones don't look like they come with proper harnesses at all. Perhaps the better Chinese ones have H8 sockets out of the box.

However, I don't like the project lens jutting out. The seals eventually give out (as mine have, though I used H8 LED bulbs with atypical IPH housing from maxxlink). And finally, they're products with iffy support and look aftermarket. Cops in Gurgaon are flashing the high beam and taking people to task for projector 'dazzling' lights.

The reasons why I think the Vaishnu ones beat these is - 1. They're locally accessible. 2. They're fully sealed. 3. No projector / aftermarket look. 4. No lens to magnify/focus the sun and potentially melt parts of the bumper (this issue can be googled). 5. You can pick white lights if you'd like. 6. Since they look OE, cops aren't going to pull you over to flash them. Level them and they have a non offensive glare. 7. Lastly, their reflector pattern seems to actually help in both the long and short term. You can also replace the H4 lamps with quality LEDs, level them and lower them to get good overall beam throw.

A lot of what I've written is based on other's reviews and some of it based on my experience. I will move to Vaishnu soon, but as of now have no first hand experience. Their couplers are fantastic, though. Their H8 couplers are waterproof and isolate the circuit, while the 35W per bulb is significantly higher than the 20W on average per bulb if you go the Chinese projector route.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks