Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 11:48   #61
BHPian

Re: Car Scratch Remover

I've had good results in removing minor scratches with an absurdly cheap household product, Cif. Here are some photos.

Before:
Car Scratch Remover-before.jpg

After rubbing with Cif (used total about 5 drops on a lightly moistened cloth):
Car Scratch Remover-inter.jpg

After polishing with Formula 1 Carnaliba car wax:
Name:  After.jpg
Views: 36942
Size:  403.5 KB

In case you haven't already seen this product on supermarket shelves, here it is:
Car Scratch Remover-cif.jpg

Incidentally, the second bottle came free with Surf

db
Darryl.Burke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 13:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

I got myself those pen kind of scratch remover but like everyone has said its more of a rubbing compound and only removes dirt & other paints but its served my purpose. I had tried com-paint in my Zen its pretty hard to merge the paint even though you buy the color recommended for your car.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:35   #63
BHPian

It hurts when you are at no fault and your vehicle suffers damage. And if it is a new car the hurt is more. My brand new Etios suffered such a fate for no fault of mine about 10 days back. As I had to go out of station on some official work, I had to leave the car in my parking area. The kids from the house below (our tenants) have played in the parking area and have circled around my vehicle in their cycles and inflicted scratches all over the body of the vehicle. I went to Toyota service and they have given a quote of Rs. 25k to repaint all scratched parts of the vehicle. But the insurance is not easy to come by as the insurance guys are asking for police complaint. I have already gone to the police station thrice without getting my complaint registered. I dont know if they are expecting money, but they are pushing the case from traffic to crime and vice versa.

Now, I am looking for an alternate solution to remove these scratches. The scratches have left white marks at many places, but I can't see dents. That makes me believe that the damages are just paint deep and not metal indenting. What could be an alternate solution?
Old 30th December 2011, 12:18   #64
BHPian

Guys,

My pretty new Jetta met with a really jealous guy at the office building yesterday it seems. Key scratches on the bonnet and the trunk. If you cannot buy/ afford such a car, why damage what the other person has!

Anyways, here is just a teaser of what happened to the car. It really breaks your heart when something like this happens to a brand new car!

Car Scratch Remover-20111230-11.51.22-copy.jpg

As you see, there are multiple scratches. I wish to stay away from any abrasive agent on the paint. Will any car wax do the trick with some cleaning? What would be my options?
Old 30th December 2011, 19:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

This is sad. I suggest you take your car to 3M or similar folks. Wax wont help.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
As you see, there are multiple scratches. I wish to stay away from any abrasive agent on the paint. Will any car wax do the trick with some cleaning? What would be my options?
Sad to see this. These kind of psycho patient exist everywhere.

Not clear to me from the pics whether the top layer paint is gone. If that is the case then no rubbing compound can help.

Else, w/o abrasive - you can try any good branded scratch remover (like meguiar`s...) which at most will remove the scratch 70% (personal experience), then polish, sealant and wax (needless to say all these after cleaning the surface).

Another way and safe method IMO is to get your car color touch up kit (search with the VW Color code for your car color paint you can get it online).

Just to share with you a similar link for Audi -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Paint-...256377&sr=8-10

Or else, you can get it checked at 3M showroom if they can remove scratch completely. Please make sure they commit to remove 100%, the reason I say this is - the amount 3M charges will be much much more than getting the VW Paint touch up kit.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 30th December 2011 at 20:19. Reason: edit ...
Old 30th December 2011, 20:21   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
I've had good results in removing minor scratches with an absurdly cheap household product, Cif. ......
Same with Tooth Paste- the old non gel types. Pretty good on removing clear coat scratches, its like a fine rubbing compound. i've used it give some shine to Bullet's aluminium cases too.
Old 27th January 2012, 08:09   #68
BHPian

Has anyone used a scratch remover like the 3M one here?

It seems like a proper miniature paint restoration system that can be used with a handheld drill. Unfortunately, amazon won't ship to India and the cost will go up a lot if I use a freight forwarding company. I would appreciate if you know a place I can get it here in India, Bangalore in particular.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:36   #69
BHPian

Here is the solution to all problems.
I had quite a big scratch on my Linea front left door. Fortunately it was not a dent but the scratch was quite big. I got the scratch while trying to park my bajaj wave in the parking when the front mud guard scraped the doors.

Apologies I do not have any before and after images, I got the fixing done at sai colorium.
They used a paste like rubbing compound . Just a pinch of it using a jute, rubbed it over the scratches and voila!, the scratch just vanished out of sight. Sai colorium did not charge me a penny, but I was so happy that I could not resist tipping the mechanic with 100 bucks :-) ..

I got a similar scratch again on the rear quarter and just called up sai colorium for the name of product.

It is called as Far[FONT=Arial]è[/FONT]cla G3

Farecla - Home

Now I need to hunt for this product.
Any idea where I can get it?
Old 10th April 2013, 15:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I got a similar scratch again on the rear quarter and just called up sai colorium for the name of product.

It is called as Far[FONT=Arial]è[/FONT]cla G3

Farecla - Home

Now I need to hunt for this product.
Any idea where I can get it?
Not sure if you are still looking for this product.
I found it on ebay. Let me know which one is effective.
I need to fix some scratches on my Red Punto

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BI...3&LH_PrefLoc=2
Old 31st October 2013, 14:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Not sure if you are still looking for this product.
I found it on ebay. Let me know which one is effective.
I need to fix some scratches on my Red Punto

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BI...3&LH_PrefLoc=2

Hey HammerHead, did you try any one from these ? What was your experience.. Pls let us all know.
Old 31st October 2013, 14:37   #72
BANNED

I have used Formula1 Scratch Out in the past with excellent results. Be patient allowing it to dry before polishing. also,wax immediately afterwards.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 20:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder918 View Post
Hey HammerHead, did you try any one from these ? What was your experience.. Pls let us all know.
Unfortunately not. Quiet busy these days. However would try something myself first as I'm planning to visit 3M just after my car completes 4 years which is Jan. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have used Formula 1 Scratch Out in the past with excellent results. Be patient allowing it to dry before polishing. also,wax immediately afterwards.
I have heard of Formula1 however its not easy to get genuine Formula 1 products in the local market. Would give it a shot and see. Recently bought Formula 1 Carnauba wax which basically did not do any good.

Switched to Waxpol which I found very good compared to Formula 1!!
Old 1st November 2013, 11:31   #74
BANNED

@HammerHead; fakes are a big issue. I got mine from eBay. Also, as for wax I did not like Formula 1 - did not even last a month, the box (bought locally) did not look fake, but then ... I now use Collinite 845 and get at least three months (of beading) from the wax.
Old 26th November 2013, 15:51   #75
BHPian

I managed to scratch the rear-left wheel arch yesterday while moving my car to the apartment parking lot

My parking slot is the first on the left side upon entering the apartment, and there is a concrete pillar in the way while the car gets in and takes a left. Yesterday while negotiating that curve I suddenly noticed a flash in my mirror and thought that some one else was also trying to enter the parking area. While I was looking in the IRVM, the car was still in motion, and by the time I switched over to the External Left Wing Mirror, I saw the wheel arch already touching that pillar.

The scratches are in a one feet area, right above the wheel arch, and are white in color. Does this mean that the paint has gone off?

Can I use the 3M Rubbing Compound to overcome the scratches?

If a pic is needed for more understanding, I can post it later today.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Most Viewed