Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 17:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Car Scratch Remover

On the Meguiar's forum, I have seen Meguiar Ultimate compound removing unbelievable scratches on the paint.

Ultimate compound is more aggressive than scratch x 2.0. Before repainting, I seriously suggest Ultimate compound but you should know how to apply it. Incorrect application will deteriorate the surface. Also UC is not cheap, it retails around 3-4 thousand rupees.

I have once used the scratch removing pen on my bike's mudguard. All it done was ruined it. It left a liquid on the paint and the scratch was bit hidden but the liquid (appearance) was sort of visible even after drying for several hours.

I then replaced the whole mudguard.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2015 at 17:57. Reason: Formatted post
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 10:57   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this Scratch Out product sold on Amazon (Amz Fulfilled) original product? I think I need to buff off minor scratches on my cars. Will try it over a deep scratch as well.

Considering the fakes of car detailing products in our market, wanted to check with the experts here: http://www.amazon.in/Formula-Scratch...+1+scratch+out

Also, need your inputs on this DuPont scratch remover pen: http://www.amazon.in/DuPont-Scratch-...1CN9DTKXD46ACZ

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 24th November 2015 at 10:58.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:22   #93
BHPian

I bought Scratch X-2.0 from Vicky.in last year,based on recommendation from the Detailing thread here...Costed around Rs1100. Appears to be genuine product.Still available
http://www.vicky.in/shopping/meguiar...ars-scratchx-2

Tried on a long scratch and works fine.Scratch minimised..
(Formula-scratch,I bought once from ebay and a fake pc was sent.Returned the same.
So,no idea about its results)
PS:Am unconnected in anyway with vicky.in
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 13:27   #94
BHPian

Is there any solution when the front bumper have been scraped slightly and you can see little blacks from the plastic underneath?

The standard solution everyone is offering is to get it repainted, however, it's not big enough but still looks slightly annoying at times.
Old 24th November 2015, 15:25   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Is this Scratch Out product sold on Amazon (Amz Fulfilled) original product? I think I need to buff off minor scratches on my cars. Will try it over a deep scratch as well.

Thanks!
I have extensively used both these products, hence I find myself eligible to answer this query.
The Scratch-out paste works brilliantly if you are looking to cure haze and swirls. It won't affect the deep scratch much (depends on the depth of scratch, so won't comment unless I see it). For the fear of getting fake products, I also bought it from Amazon from Cloudtail. This along with another seller TAMS THE automotive seller are very genuine with their products. No reason to doubt them. I regularly order stuff from them and I never had any complaints. Another brilliant but expensive alternative to Scratch-out is ScratchX by Meguiar's.

Regarding the dupont scratch remover, it is nothing but 4ml of clear coat and works brilliantly if there is only clear coat damage and the base coat and paint is still pretty thick. If the base coat is also damaged or very thin, it will have no effect. It flows very badly and my friend ended spoiling the paint more than it could have saved. If you wish to buy one, I'd suggest to try it first. I have both these products.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:13   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I have extensively used both these products, hence I find myself eligible to answer this query.
So, based on your recommendation and advice, I have ordered the Formula 1 scratch out and 3M liquid wax for taking care of my rides. Although you recommended paste wax but for the lazy person I am, I went for the easy way out .

Should be delivered by next week. Total bill- Rs. 533/-

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 17:50   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Although you recommended paste wax but for the lazy person I am, I went for the easy way out .
Congrats!!
I have used both liquid wax and paste wax of 3M and I must say, the paste wax lasts much longer in terms of water beading. No wonder it is expensive. As far as ease of application and buffing is concerned, both are equally easy to apply and buff.

Nevertheless, happy detailing.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 09:26   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I bought Scratch X-2.0 from Vicky.in last year,based on recommendation from the Detailing thread here...Costed around Rs1100. Appears to be genuine product.Still available
http://www.vicky.in/shopping/meguiar...ars-scratchx-2

Tried on a long scratch and works fine.Scratch minimised..
(Formula-scratch,I bought once from ebay and a fake pc was sent.Returned the same.
So,no idea about its results)
PS:Am unconnected in anyway with vicky.in
I've heard that it does a great job in blending in the color for the scratch, but it doesn't remove it.

Once you wash your car, the scratch will be visible again.

Is that true ?
Old 6th February 2016, 15:53   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've heard that it does a great job in blending in the color for the scratch, but it doesn't remove it.

Once you wash your car, the scratch will be visible again.

Is that true ?
I have found for light scratches it is good enough and covers very well. For deeper scratches(I tried on one), color got blended but could feel the scratch,if a finger is run over it. But, after a wash(not pressure wash) I didn't find the repaired scratch re appearing. No idea after next wash, though.
Old 11th February 2016, 10:46   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Complete car detailing noob here. I have an experience to share.

Yesterday at a crowded junction a scooter left some black scuff marks on my Candy White Polo GT's front left bumper. This happened early in the morning and ruined my mood for the rest of the day.

I ended up researching on threads like this one to search for a quick fix. Almost ended up ordering one of the rubbing compounds available online, but then I found a link which suggested a much simpler fix.

It did seem unlikely that would help but I decided to take the risk. I bought the "fix" on the way home and did as instructed. Voila! Magic!

The "fix" was nothing but our own humble "Colgate".

Bought a 10rs tube, squeezed a minuscule amount on a microfiber cloth. Rubbed a few times with it on the scuff marks. Then immediately wiped it with a wet cloth. The scratch can still be seen in certain lighting conditions but it is white/transparent in colour now opposed to black/grey.

Theory says that since toothpaste is an abrasive, it acts similar to a rubbing compound. I feel this may have slightly damaged the clear coat of VW's superb paint finish, but given the way it looks now, I feel it was a fair trade-off. Not that the damage is visible at all. Now I think I ideally should have followed up with a light layer of wax as well.

A before-after pic attached for reference, along with the hero who saved the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Scratch Remover-img_0379.jpg  

Car Scratch Remover-img_0382.jpg  

Car Scratch Remover-img_0383.jpg  

sidparekh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 16:51   #101
BHPian

Friends i had a big scratch on the right side of my white i20 and it was looking very bad. I had a small bottle of brake oil lying at my place and i dipped a clean cloth and started rubbing it on the scratch and within seconds there was no trace of the scratch. This trick didnt work on the deep scratches.
Old 11th February 2016, 17:58   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Friends i had a big scratch on the right side of my white i20 and it was looking very bad. I had a small bottle of brake oil lying at my place and i dipped a clean cloth and started rubbing it on the scratch and within seconds there was no trace of the scratch. This trick didnt work on the deep scratches.
brake oil on paint??? disaster

it is highly corrosive, maybe you got lucky because you applied on plastic part
Old 11th February 2016, 18:46   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
brake oil on paint??? disaster

it is highly corrosive, maybe you got lucky because you applied on plastic part
No bro i had applied it on the side door panel and i didnt notice any loss in shine.
Old 11th February 2016, 23:08   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

All I can say is that brake fluid might act as an excellent paint remover!
Old 12th February 2016, 00:37   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
The "fix" was nothing but our own humble "Colgate". Bought a 10rs tube, .
I have used this to clean the headlights. and then applied some wax.
It is definitely effective.

I couldn't find the colgate, but bought pink pepsodent costing Rs15.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed