Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Yet another modded Bolero!

Why Bolero?

It was in September 2007 when I moved out from Mumbai to Chennai; the fact that Cochini was just 700 ks from Chennai and the new job being a 5 day-week affair meant I had to have a diesel; the thought of driving to Cochin every other weekend was too tempting to resist.

The Corsa 1.4; my steed for a year in Mumbai had to go; a bit painful though. I had picked this 4 year; 40K one up just for the lowish price and its superb condition in all its dazzling black glory. It was bitter pill to swallow since I had always considered the Corsa having the worst looking add on boot to a hatchback; and the few times I rode one in Cochin city made me swear at the Germans for making such a sluggish car; that was till I hit the expressway to pune. I vaguely remember munching down on the fillet'o'fish in McDs just thinking of the horrible drive I was just about to endure to Pune. Shock of my life..the Corsa started showing its colours past a sluggish 100 + Ks, I was found wanting when the clock showed 150, the car in true German tradition had impeccable highway manners, summoning my last bit of courage i floored and saw a hazy 160 or so before I quit. My friend and HiFi Guru Benny took over, he hit an indicated 175 Ks as if it was just another day. RESPECT was all that i had after that drive. With a lot of pain I let the CORSA go; I don't pride myself on that decision and don't think will ever.

I had to have a diesel; hmm..an opportunity to look at my favorite one; the Octy Combi. I did some scourging around for a used one for a while; couldn't find any in Mumbai; I guess combi owners just don't sell them! Buying new was out of question; not there yet...

I rode on in my trusty M800 till the new ride came along...

So the list of new car probables got going starting with the Logan diesel and Swift D; not much of a choice for diesel under 7L. An then came the Chennai rains, our beautiful tree lined streets looked like the swamps of the Sunderbans. Regardless I set off in the M800 with two of my colleagues to office; little did I know that I was equipped with a fly squarer to shoo off an ostrich. We kept going through knee deep water; windows rolled down, never letting the foot off the pedals at a scorching 5 kmph. As we turned towards the main road came a raging white elephant, the Safari turned my puny 800 into an aquarium; all three of us dripping to our undies, we came out of it with steam from the bonnet and one clear thought in my head..Ground Clearance - that's what I need to survive here.

It was all very simple then. What drinks diesel, has good GC, AC,PS and good FE and take abuse for a decade; and come at 6-7 L new? No brainer really!

My first test drive was in a used DI with no PS; I felt like driving a 1 BHK from the balcony; that was what it was. But I did see rickshaws giving way in respect and the wicked grin was back on my face.

A SLE it would be. Reason: I don't fancy Beige interiors in a tractor; and a premium of 60K+ isn't justified for PW+key-less entry + el cheapo CD for the top end SLX. I could do better with 60 K!

So on Dec 5th went my Black SLE; straight to the tyre shop; all decals peeled off and ready for some light modifications!

Essential Bolero modifications will continue in part II...

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th December 2008 at 12:29. Reason: smilies
josepeter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2008, 12:36   #2
BANNED

Welcome Jose. Probably one of the coolest mods on a Bolero ever.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:38   #3
BHPian

Nice write up jose!!! and which part of chennai where you drenched by this white elephants rage!!
Old 30th December 2008, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

That was one neat narration! Gave a good laugh!

Nice start, Jose.

But having said this, I just am not happy at you not posting any photo's of your ride. Just the teaser on your avatar! Not fair!

Continue please.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

nice writing style .. waiting for the rest.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to read the thread on what happened and why you decided on the car. Do post the pics of the modded Bolero.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
...and which part of chennai where you drenched by this white elephants rage!!
nice question Ram.

But say, why would you ask this question!!??

Disclaimer: Please do NOT read between the line! ROFL
Old 30th December 2008, 13:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post

A SLE it would be. Reason: I don't fancy Beige interiors in a tractor; and a premium of 60K+ isn't justified for PW+key-less entry + el cheapo CD for the top end SLX. I could do better with 60 K!

So on Dec 5th went my Black SLE; straight to the tyre shop; all decals peeled off and ready for some light modifications!
My thoughts exactly. I too peeled off all the decals from the SLE before driving out of the showroom.

Old 30th December 2008, 13:27   #9
BHPian

Just that during this recent rains, I by mistake barged into deep waters in adyar and had to keep up the rev's to avoid the vehicle stalling!! So just wondered if it could have been me. But i don't remember coming across any other car during the hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
nice question Ram.

But say, why would you ask this question!!??

Disclaimer: Please do NOT read between the line! ROFL
Old 30th December 2008, 13:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Haha..driving a 1BHK from the balcony. That was funny!
Old 30th December 2008, 13:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

OT: @ Ram: Hahaha...you are now feeling guilty, brother. Lets hope he is not the one. But the person came in your white elephant's rage would have hurled the choicest absues at you. Its a fact...
Old 30th December 2008, 13:54   #12
BHPian

@snaronikar: I do think its not me . Because the street i plunged through was a deserted interior road in Adyar. Whereas jose was talking about a Main Road. But actually i would have got those curses, from the residents of the street. But man that day i had no intentions of crawling even if someone had come in the side, as the water was am sure was so deep the my front bumper was almost submerged. And if i had even thought about slowing down, i'm sure i would have got stuck.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
And if i had even thought about slowing down, i'm sure i would have got stuck.
@ram.west, it's possible to drive slow keeping the engine rpm high.
We call it burning the clutch.

Old 30th December 2008, 14:35   #14
BHPian

@Torqy: i could have , but i did not intend to either, because it was a deserted street.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That was one neat narration! Gave a good laugh!

Nice start, Jose.

But having said this, I just am not happy at you not posting any photo's of your ride. Just the teaser on your avatar! Not fair!

Continue please.
I have posted many pics in the Intro thread.

Quote:
Nice write up jose!!! and which part of chennai where you drenched by this white elephants rage!!
Buddy, was it you in the white safari? I need to buy you a drink for that!

Quote:
The white elephant sunk my M800 in Bazulla road; just near the Thirumalai pillai junction.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th December 2008 at 18:06. Reason: Back to back posting and multi quote please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks