Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 19:28   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is that number plate illegal? I have seen tons of vehicles with that style...
Old 5th February 2009, 21:22   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
@Pain_in_u: I must nice looking ride that is!! Have you increased the ride height?/ Looks like you must have added a leaf or two!! .

Cheers
Ramesh
No i haven't increased any height, those are 16inch wheels + i have removed the side steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
OT: the number plates, isnt that illegal ? Have you had issues with cops in blr ?

Till date no issues,but two of my friends hav been fined for the same ,
the number plates are actually very much legal....these kinda no. plates are a trend in BLR...

Its supposed to be tamper proof number plate (famous as IND no. plate), the government had plans of makin such plates mandatory. dono wat happen!!!
Old 6th February 2009, 22:21   #78
BHPian

Good one Pain!

@ Pain - Your Bolero surely looks nice! The cut job on the bumper makes it more like the older generation ( and much better looking) Bolero. In fact I have been planning to get the bumper cut since new; but that would mean my windshield would be full of muck when the going gets wet! So i ended up painting the bumper ends matt-black. Maybe i should forget about the muck and get it cut soon!

Please' please take the silver tooth out, will give a much better front end!

Is it a pain to get in without the side steps? I don't like the stock ones either and was planning to do a custom one on the lines of Fiat adventure. Maybe next time I'm in Cochin I'll get them done.

@ Fountainheader - OEM fog lamps let in water, I got them installed as a freebie during delivery. But they soon started accumulating water; got them cleaned once; now I stopped bothering. Maybe when the bumper goes in for a coat of black; I'll get the slots enlarged and slot in some proper fog lamps.
Old 6th February 2009, 22:55   #79
BHPian

Number plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Till date no issues,but two of my friends hav been fined for the same ,

the number plates are actually very much legal....these kinda no. plates are a trend in BLR...

Its supposed to be tamper proof number plate (famous as IND no. plate), the government had plans of makin such plates mandatory. dono wat happen!!!
The IND number plates are indeed legal. They comply with the font size etc. as per the current RTO rules. But there are two sizes, the smaller ones for two-wheelers & the larger ones for four-wheelers.

The one on your Bolero front is the two wheeler size, which might lead to a fine if stopped by the traffic cops. The bigger four-wheeler size plates may not look as neat as the one you have, but will not land you in trouble with the cops. You might want to consider changing it. It will cost you around Rs.400 for a single plate.

@josepeter & @Pain_in_U, both your Boleros look brilliant ! I have been considering going in for a Bolero for a couple of months now... you two are making it too tough to resist. Your rides are very tastefully done-up, helping potential buyers realize how good a Bolero can look. [M&M should be taking cues from you guys...]
Old 6th February 2009, 23:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
@ Pain - Your Bolero surely looks nice! The cut job on the bumper makes it more like the older generation ( and much better looking) Bolero. In fact I have been planning to get the bumper cut since new; but that would mean my windshield would be full of muck when the going gets wet! So i ended up painting the bumper ends matt-black. Maybe i should forget about the muck and get it cut soon!

Please' please take the silver tooth out, will give a much better front end!

Is it a pain to get in without the side steps? I don't like the stock ones either and was planning to do a custom one on the lines of Fiat adventure. Maybe next time I'm in Cochin I'll get them done.

@ Fountainheader - OEM fog lamps let in water, I got them installed as a freebie during delivery. But they soon started accumulating water; got them cleaned once; now I stopped bothering. Maybe when the bumper goes in for a coat of black; I'll get the slots enlarged and slot in some proper fog lamps.
Thank you Jose,
my suggestion get it cut asap, it ll go very well with ur grille...
can u get the same grille for me

witout footstep is ok for boys, i removed it cos it was touched at many places while climbing KODACHADRI.
but everytime i have to drop my mom or any of my aunties i have to listen , y did u remove the STEP!!! tats k

thats one reason i din install OE fog lamps...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th February 2009 at 05:45. Reason: SMS/Slang Language.
Old 7th February 2009, 04:48   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

lovely black Bolero. Looks very clean and yet "aggressive" and "no-nonsense"
Old 7th February 2009, 07:18   #82
BHPian

congrats sir

Hi Jose,
you have one of the best looking boleros..I have become a fan of the front grill and your decision of removing the graphics.I am from chennai as well.So can you please tell me where you did the interior work and the grill mesh work.BTW the Hella installation work done??

Vignesh
1.2 SIENA ELX/100000kms/K&N Stock/
Aspiring for LINEA MJD 110 bhp...
Old 7th February 2009, 10:33   #83
BHPian

Apology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
The one on your Bolero front is the two wheeler size, which might lead to a fine if stopped by the traffic cops. The bigger four-wheeler size plates may not look as neat as the one you have, but will not land you in trouble with the cops. You might want to consider changing it. It will cost you around Rs.400 for a single plate...
- Apologies @Pain_in_U , I need to get new glasses ;-) Just noticed that you already had the bigger 'IND' number plate on your Bolero previously and you have replaced it with the smaller one recently. So going back to the 'legal' plates should not be a problem.
Old 7th February 2009, 12:09   #84
BHPian

The Grille story!

I thought I should tell you the story of my grille!

As soon as the decision to buy the Bolero was taken, doing something worthy to the grille was one of the first lines of thought. I blackened the grille in the Autocar pic and was convinced something could be done to make it look less crappy! I had visions of taking an AXE to the showroom and wacking the grill off...much inspired by Jeremy Clarkson's effort to murder a Perodua Kalisa after buying it new and driving it onto the road. Here is a link to it if you havent seen it already!

Jeremy Clarkson annihilates the Perodua Kelisa

BTW : I'm a huge huge fan of JC ; my son Jeremy will agree...

Ok so; after I got the alloys and tyres installed on day one; the next in line was the grille. I pulled the silver tooth off and it was looking better, but wasnt excited. ( pic below)

My initial thought was to square of the vertical slats and mesh it from behind; like some after-market jobs on some Cherokees. (Pic below). Maybe someone can try that.

In the weekend we took out the grille to fix the horn; it was astonished to see that the hideous grille was covering a well formed cavity for the radiator; I did drive around without the grille for a few days; it looks neat! I thought I should get a neat metal frame to fit perfectly in the cavity and get it meshed and took the only-days-old Bolero into a supposedly "great" tinker shop in Chennai. The "super tinker" had a Bolero work in progress, some rich dude was getting his Bolero sportz converted to a one and half cab pick up; an extensive modification; and i was quite excited thinking of the perfect gleaming grille he would conjure up for me.

I was asked to leave the car in and come after 4 days; I did and found he had cut a few pieces of GI sheet precisely and my new car had gathered half an inch of dust; I was feeling quite sad. Excitement was back again after I saw the completed frame a few days later, It looked like a perfect one. But the mesh he had bought looked more like a mosquito net to me and i was not impressed. ( I started realising then that he is not in the game of modding by choice; he was probably taking it as a business extension to his automobile engg qualification.)

Maybe i was asking for too much when i asked him to do a waterfall instead of the mesh in the newly made frame. He said it was damn easy; a wise man wouldn't say that, waterfall grill has to be PERFECT, especially the spaces between the thin pipes - even a millimeter difference would give a "lost tooth" look. Nevertheless I went home reasonably hopeful - afterall I had got a waterfall grill made by a local tinker ( aashan : popular speak for senior mechanic/tinker in kerala) for a friends LHD NISSAN years ago and it was impressive.

Back at the tinker after a day for the unveiling of the tinker's pride; I couldn't have been more dissapointed, I didnt swear too much; just told him that a tinker should know what happens when heat is applied to metal and thats it's not a child play. No Thank you and I went back; this time with the the Bolero sans grille.

I gave up on the grille and took my first long drive to Kerala; my folks back there loved the Bolero; it was the first UV in the family.

I hit our joint early next day; the bike workshop off MG road in Cochin is a magnet for petrol heads; you are sure to barge into an interesting motoring coversation anytime and witness more than a few souped up rides there. The crowd this time around was quite young and excited; nice time to ask for suggestions. Within minutes we were at the aluminium merchant in the Ernakulam market and the boys took out the exact meshes for my grille. Both Diamond patters, one with smaller holes than the other. They explained to me that a single layer mesh would look incomplete; another layer of mesh in the same pattern with smaller wholes would make it complete. So with both the pieces bagged for 300 odd bucks we hit the new cutomising shop; run by one of the guys who was a regular at the joint. He had some skilled fiberglass guys; they suggested we reinforce the original grille with fiberglass before cutting off the vertical teeth so that only the outer frame will remain. just the kind of guys needed for modding jobs, I was loving it!

No suprises; in a day they had delivered what was sought; in all of 700 bucks. I was happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another modded Bolero!-mesh-grille.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-dsc00587.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-collage2.jpg  

Old 8th February 2009, 09:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
- Apologies @Pain_in_U , I need to get new glasses ;-) Just noticed that you already had the bigger 'IND' number plate on your Bolero previously and you have replaced it with the smaller one recently. So going back to the 'legal' plates should not be a problem.

i have it my old plates ready,,, in case they catch me, i'll roll back
Old 8th February 2009, 10:05   #86
BHPian

Grille story

Hey Jose,
your grille story is similar to mine, only difference... you found a right guy but am still searching for another guy...

Tinkers never say no for anything!!! good attitude, but results are not as expected
Old 8th February 2009, 13:18   #87

DAMN you bolero looks Amazing!! I think this should come in production instead of the Diaper Grille!!
Old 8th February 2009, 23:37   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
can u get the same grille for me
Join the queue, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
As soon as the decision to buy the Bolero was taken, doing something worthy to the grille was one of the first lines of thought. I blackened the grille in the Autocar pic and was convinced something could be done to make it look less crappy!
That's exactly what i did. I went further and blacked out the pillars. Bought 2 copies of that Autocar to try different mods.

Old 10th February 2009, 04:41   #89
BHPian

@Pain in u & Torqy, guys why dont you join the bangalore bolero club.. its on orkut and there are about 20 boleros from bangalore we meet up once a month and once in about 2 months go from weekend drives.
Old 14th February 2009, 15:32   #90
BHPian

Saturday morning Joy!

Content that I spend a Saturday morning well! Managed to get a Stebel Nautilus air horn fixed this morning.

Came to know of Stebel Nautilus from the thread dedicated to this masterpiece of Italian design. Paid homage by buying two pieces for Rs.900 each. Plan was to install both of them, but one seems to be more than adequate for even highway use.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another modded Bolero!-140210.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-140209_1244.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-140209_1243.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks