Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 14:39   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Good stuff Jose. Havent you thought of putting the set up a little higher up - considering that water hits it, its gonna go kaput.

You are doing a lot of the things I envisioned. Its great. Can I ask you another favor? Could you do a sound recording of the horn in action, and can you put it up on youtube or something so the rest of us can listen in?

Another project for this Saturday
Old 17th February 2009, 16:29   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, I heard it here: STEBEL S.p.a.
Old 14th March 2009, 21:39   #93
BHPian

Saturday Mischief

Another super hot Saturday in Chennai; too many things whirling in my head. The recession has given a new perspective to my job now; things you could and would do in your sleep now needs months of planning. Need a break...maybe I'll wake up the neighborhood from their afternoon nap!

Four bolts; thats all it takes to get it removed; I had been eying this "power sapping" contraption in the exhaust path; under the drivers seat. I guess it is to control emissions to confirm to BS III or something; but the good thing is by removing 4 bolts it comes of quite easily and makes one listen to the actual noise the engine makes without silencer; emission control etc; free flow!

I had heard form a friend with a DDIS that its engine hardly makes any noise without the silencer because of the turbo; I was expecting the same here; I fired er up and phew! was I surpised!

It really is LOUD! The diesel drone is definitely there; so is a loud whoosh during the gear shift and the turbo noise is very much more audible. I took a fast ride around the bylanes and felt that driveability was better; felt like acceleration was much improved; but it was way too loud to let it be!

I'll try to build a less loud free flow system; Im sure it will give better performance from the truck; a friend of mine has a superb end can on his Pug diesel which I plan to plug and start from there. Cant wait to get started!

PS : Back home my wife did tell me that she got woken up by what she thought was a really loud Garbage truck! Shhhhhhh.
Old 15th March 2009, 06:41   #94
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Another super hot Saturday in Chennai; too many things whirling in my head......... Shhhhhhh.
Hehehe, Madman! You removed the silencer? any videos of the new "free flow exhaust" note?
Your friend who removed the silencer in the DDiS, did he get any sort of improvement in acceleration? was the turbo spooling up faster?I confess, I've been looking at the exhaust and getting irritated with it, myself!

Old 15th March 2009, 10:05   #95
BHPian

@ RipperGeo - No video as yet; maybe today if i turn mad by afternoon!

Anyone knows a good (and not so expensive) end can for diesels? I'm yet to hear a good noisy Swift DDIS; I expected many many roaring ones on the streets by now.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:57   #96
BHPian

Your Bolero is sure a classic I like it that you are going the extra mile to do justice to the beauty.please post pictures of the interior.
Old 17th March 2009, 22:20   #97
rippergeo

Quote:
@ RipperGeo - No video as yet; maybe today if i turn mad by afternoon!

Anyone knows a good (and not so expensive) end can for diesels? I'm yet to hear a good noisy Swift DDIS; I expected many many roaring ones on the streets by now.
Had the chance to look at the exhaust in my DDiS. The catcon is attached to the pipe coming out of the turbo. No way the catcon can be removed without getting a full turbo back exhaust
A Catback will not give much sound.

Old 18th March 2009, 02:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Josepeter, that a very handsome black beast you have. its done very tastefully and im glad you didnt go beyond 235 for your tyres.

the Man in Black Bolero!
Old 18th March 2009, 14:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Had the chance to look at the exhaust in my DDiS. The catcon is attached to the pipe coming out of the turbo. No way the catcon can be removed without getting a full turbo back exhaust
A Catback will not give much sound.
Does that mean that it is the Cat that does most of the silencing?

Explains why all DDIS run silent; Unless some tuner starts selling bolt-on Turbo backs neighbourhoods will be quiet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Josepeter, that a very handsome black beast you have. its done very tastefully and im glad you didnt go beyond 235 for your tyres.

the Man in Black Bolero!
Thanks Parm! 235/75/15 is just a little too big and tends to scrape at the rear; 235/70/15 would be perfect!
Old 18th March 2009, 21:01   #100
rippergeo

Quote:
Does that mean that it is the Cat that does most of the silencing?
Turbo>Cat>Muffler is what I think. Taking the muffler off didnt help much. But i shall get that cat off, if its the last thing I do

Old 20th March 2009, 21:49   #101
BHPian

Seat Modification

Hi Guys!
I'm 5'11" tall and I've tried all seat positions, there is obsolutely no thigh support and it's a real pain to drive long distances. Has anyone in this forum modified the seat for the above reason? If so I request you to provide some details - like how and where it was done.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:32   #102
BHPian

Some interior pics!

I haven't done much to the interiors. The stock SLE comes with fabric seats; got them gone in art leather; a year back. The Jeep logo on the steering is OE; from a Jeep Backpack

Plain jane ICE; Pioneer HU and JBL Ovals and front speakers.

Did a DIY carpet job this afternoon with some exhibition spec carpet lying around at home. A bit loud me thinks!

I want to have a go at the front seats, want something with more support; maybe a pair of front seats from an astra, or esteem. Any good tips here?
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another modded Bolero!-10k.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-img_3547_50.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-img_3549_50.jpg  

Yet another modded Bolero!-img_3548_50.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2009, 19:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Loving the interiors, Jose!

Very neat and also the carpet.

Guess, finally (finally) JK has competition!
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:47   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I want to have a go at the front seats, want something with more support; maybe a pair of front seats from an astra, or esteem. Any good tips here?
That's something i'm also looking for. But then, "look for" is all i do!
Any reason why you didn't get head-rests done for the middle row?

How loud do you have to play your music to overpower the built-in "tractor music"? That's one reason i still don't have ICE.

Last edited by Torqy : 22nd March 2009 at 21:50.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:51   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
That's something i'm also looking for. But then, "look for" is all i do!
Any reason why you didn't get head-rests done for the middle row?
The middle row never came with one; I shall move the front head rests ( or are they called head restraints?) to the rear when I find a good pair of seats for the front. Ahem!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks