Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 07:54   #121
BHPian

STAGE II Mods: Now GREENed and BILSTEINed

I'm back after a month of work and play.

A month ago we left for Cochin for a 2 week break. I didn't waste much time and headed to Pete's to check out what could be done. Had some interesting conversations with Peter and Mathew (Manager & Chief mental patient); saw the controversial "500 BHP" octy and a mental Zen Steel. The noise the octy made was amazing; not all that LOUD though.

My friend who had come in from Chennai in his Santro wanted to have a go first and got the GREEN Wind Universal filter installed. Looks and works fantastic. One quick blast on Cochin streets certainly confirmed much improved acceleration and noise. I decided to go GREEN on the Bolero.

But the thought of getting BILSTEIN shocks installed was always on the back of my mind; I decided to have a go and get them done too. Petes provides a 100,000 KM unconditional warranty on the Bilsteins; I thought it would be a great buy!

So after about 4 hours; the guys in Pete's got the Bolero done up with the GREEN Storm CAI Kit ( this takes all of 30 minutes) and the BILSTEIN B6 installed. One of the original Mahindra dampers were leaking already ( 17000 Kms).

Me, Mathew and Neil ( Another mental patient owning 2 cars, 2 Jeeps and 6 bikes) went for the test drive on pothole laden roads; Within 5 minutes we all had smiles on our faces; the ride and handling improved considerably; no secondary oscillations; no more Boatlike handling; the Bolero just stays planted. Believe me; BILSTEIN B6 shocks are the single biggest mod you can do a BOLERO. It just transforms the truck completely. I'm convinced its the best investment that has gone into my Bolero.

The GREEN do its part too; on the drive back to Chennai I could feel the truck accelerating better and getting to the top speed of 115 was much less boring now. It has a nice intake snarl too.

I have done 2500 Kms ( including a Chennai COORG drive) now with the BILSTEINs and couldn't be happier. The BILSTEINs have apparently taken care of the scraping issue I was facing on account of the higher profile tyres; the tyres scrape only on extreme situations now!

I was also lucky to be part of a mini-meet of the Horsepower hungry TBhpians in Cochin.

Plan to get some Snaps done today!
Old 9th May 2009, 09:01   #122
Senior - BHPian

whats the cost of this B6 for bolero?

and what other mods were suggested for bolero from pete's?

Last edited by rider60 : 9th May 2009 at 09:03.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:55   #123
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

very interesting Jose. enjoyed reading this.
Would you please let me know if similar mods are possible/ recommended on a stock Scorpio? You could PM me if you like:
My main queries;
1. More info on this Green Wind Universal filter + likely costs.
2. More info on the Bilstein Shocks + likely costs.

Then, perhaps if it is within my budget considerations I could also consider the same.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
I'm back after a month of work and play.

A month ago we left for Cochin for a 2 week break. I didn't waste much time and headed to Pete's to check out what could be done. Had some interesting conversations with Peter and Mathew (Manager & Chief mental patient); saw the controversial "500 BHP" octy and a mental Zen Steel. The noise the octy made was amazing; not all that LOUD though.

My friend who had come in from Chennai in his Santro wanted to have a go first and got the GREEN Wind Universal filter installed. Looks and works fantastic. One quick blast on Cochin streets certainly confirmed much improved acceleration and noise. I decided to go GREEN on the Bolero.

But the thought of getting BILSTEIN shocks installed was always on the back of my mind; I decided to have a go and get them done too. Petes provides a 100,000 KM unconditional warranty on the Bilsteins; I thought it would be a great buy!

So after about 4 hours; the guys in Pete's got the Bolero done up with the GREEN Storm CAI Kit ( this takes all of 30 minutes) and the BILSTEIN B6 installed. One of the original Mahindra dampers were leaking already ( 17000 Kms).

Me, Mathew and Neil ( Another mental patient owning 2 cars, 2 Jeeps and 6 bikes) went for the test drive on pothole laden roads; Within 5 minutes we all had smiles on our faces; the ride and handling improved considerably; no secondary oscillations; no more Boatlike handling; the Bolero just stays planted. Believe me; BILSTEIN B6 shocks are the single biggest mod you can do a BOLERO. It just transforms the truck completely. I'm convinced its the best investment that has gone into my Bolero.

The GREEN do its part too; on the drive back to Chennai I could feel the truck accelerating better and getting to the top speed of 115 was much less boring now. It has a nice intake snarl too.

I have done 2500 Kms ( including a Chennai COORG drive) now with the BILSTEINs and couldn't be happier. The BILSTEINs have apparently taken care of the scraping issue I was facing on account of the higher profile tyres; the tyres scrape only on extreme situations now!

I was also lucky to be part of a mini-meet of the Horsepower hungry TBhpians in Cochin.

Plan to get some Snaps done today!
Old 11th May 2009, 18:13   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

I think both these mods would be perfect for the scorp. Having an external air intake would benefit the green greatly, fitting one is another chore altogether. Shankar, the bilsteins are not to be thought about. If you intend to keep the steed for until 100k kms plus innumberable trips to the north and east then just go for it.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:41   #125
BHPian

@josepeter, i'm guessing you changed both the FRONT and REAR suspensions to Bilsteins.
Can you really feel the difference on bad surfaces? How's the "pendulum" action now?
Chanapli also has Bilsteins. It looks like worth the investment.

How's the Green filter affecting the mileage?

-- Torqy
Old 12th May 2009, 06:38   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

appreciate this but Im still on a budget so how much will it cost?
i guess 4 bilsteins plus green beast - maybe 20 grand? or more?
i really dont know thats why im asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think both these mods would be perfect for the scorp. Having an external air intake would benefit the green greatly, fitting one is another chore altogether. Shankar, the bilsteins are not to be thought about. If you intend to keep the steed for until 100k kms plus innumberable trips to the north and east then just go for it.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

Umm, if jerish's 1.6S Bilsteins cost anywhere near these, a lot more, just for the shocks.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:18   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pete's on a Mahindra! Either ways, it's fantastic news! We Mahindra guys hardly get any after-market support otherwise. It's great to hear that the Bolero's dynamics are positively transformed with the Bilsteins.

@ Peter : How about extending your support to the rising offroad genre as well? Lift kits, winches, tyres...the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You could PM me if you like:
Why PM? Put the discussion up here. That way, it gets archived and is accessible to anyone (including guests) years down the line.
Old 13th May 2009, 02:11   #129
BHPian

Slightly offtopic.

@josepeter, is Chanapli a.k.a Thomas Neil from Bangalore Bolero Club?
Is that the same Neil you mentioned?

@GTO, I don't think his Bolero got a Pete's Box. Its a GREEN STORM filter kit.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 13th May 2009 at 02:17.
Old 13th May 2009, 02:48   #130
BHPian

Agreed that it merely adds cosmetic value - that being the case, dont chop anything up, simply 'stick-on' just for the effects. So you can remove it when needed for after sale. Just in case the new owner doesnt want / like it. Though I do think it would look neat too.

Is the number plate miniaturised and posted on the side of the bumper allowed and legal ?

Lovely looking cars!

Finally sorry to go but Red Liner I have followed your adventure with the Scorpio and its whats made me decide on one as well. Cant thank you enough. Will PM you when I book it for advice.

Quote:
Uhh, thats called a Snorkel not a chimney

And once you take a stock machine like this and proceed to cut the bonnet to install a s snorkel, say good bye to your resale values. I am personally never in favour of chopping up a vehicle to do cursory "toy-boy" modifications.

Installing a snorkel only looks good on a 2wd bolero. On the performance angle, it adds zero. More discussed on the 4wd section.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Slightly offtopic.

@josepeter, is Chanapli a.k.a Thomas Neil from Bangalore Bolero Club?
Is that the same Neil you mentioned?

-- Torqy
Neil I mentioned is not Chanapli from BBC. This Neil is based in Cochin and deals in Garage equipments.

No Pete's Box for DI; Someday my Bolero would have a scorp/storm engine, then perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pete's on a Mahindra! Either ways, it's fantastic news! We Mahindra guys hardly get any after-market support otherwise. It's great to hear that the Bolero's dynamics are positively transformed with the Bilsteins.

@ Peter : How about extending your support to the rising offroad genre as well? Lift kits, winches, tyres...the works.

Why PM? Put the discussion up here. That way, it gets archived and is accessible to anyone (including guests) years down the line.
Loads of Scorpios with Pete's Tuning Box, GREEN filters and BILSTEINs; Mahindras are rocking!

Well! I do feel the discussion shouldn't be in Private!

Quote:
appreciate this but Im still on a budget so how much will it cost?
i guess 4 bilsteins plus green beast - maybe 20 grand? or more?
i really dont know thats why im asking.
Yes Shankar..that what I had in mind too! But that was hoping for too much!

The Green Filter + fittings is about 6K; Bilsteins are 9K each; you need 4 of them.

Quote:
@josepeter, i'm guessing you changed both the FRONT and REAR suspensions to Bilsteins.
Can you really feel the difference on bad surfaces? How's the "pendulum" action now?
Chanapli also has Bilsteins. It looks like worth the investment.

How's the Green filter affecting the mileage?

-- Torqy
Yes Torqy; all 4 have to be changed! The difference is significant; the rear suspension doesn't bob so much after you hit a hump; the steering on tarmac bends has improved considerably; tight bends dont scare the **** out of you anymore. I hit a few huge craters on the roads in Cochin with Neil in the middle row; he didn't stab me afterward! There is a huge difference now!

Quote:
very interesting Jose. enjoyed reading this.
Would you please let me know if similar mods are possible/ recommended on a stock Scorpio? You could PM me if you like:
My main queries;
1. More info on this Green Wind Universal filter + likely costs.
2. More info on the Bilstein Shocks + likely costs.

Then, perhaps if it is within my budget considerations I could also consider the same.

Thanks
Shankar; the Scorpio needs BILSTEINs more than any Bolero. Tarmac handling will be superb; you can rip the highways in a car instead of a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
whats the cost of this B6 for bolero?

and what other mods were suggested for bolero from pete's?
Cost as above.

Bolero STORM could benefit from a tuning Box.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:10   #132
BHPian

@josepeter, thanks for the detailed response.
Won't these suspension replacements void the manufacturer's warranty?

-- Torqy
Old 13th May 2009, 15:57   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

-- Torqy
Of course! I meant "Petes" as in the dampers.

Quote:
Yes Torqy; all 4 have to be changed! The difference is significant; the rear suspension doesn't bob so much after you hit a hump; the steering on tarmac bends has improved considerably; tight bends dont scare the **** out of you anymore. I hit a few huge craters on the roads in Cochin with Neil in the middle row; he didn't stab me afterward! There is a huge difference now!
Great to hear. Fellow Bolero owners must definitely give 'em Bilsteins a try.
Old 13th May 2009, 16:17   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@josepeter, thanks for the detailed response.
Won't these suspension replacements void the manufacturer's warranty?

-- Torqy
Ofcourse they will. If they find it. But I think it will void only that particular component and those associated with it. Will the manufacturer void a seat defect because you fit a Green air filter?

Just thinking aloud guys...
Old 13th May 2009, 19:53   #135
rippergeo

Quote:
Ofcourse they will. If they find it. But I think it will void only that particular component and those associated with it. Will the manufacturer void a seat defect because you fit a Green air filter?

Just thinking aloud guys...
Do not under estimate our favourite car manufacturers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks