Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2024, 01:59   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
To clarify, I am not looking at any tint - just need to cut down the heat within the cabin.
You will find that tint and heat reduction go hand in hand. But there is no need at all to go for Gangster Black (which is also most likely to get your car noticed: don't forget that the film is illegal). I think I had the CR70 on my previous car: the tint was very mild and does not affect vision. It helped with the heat a lot.

I never did it for this car. It has become much more expensive, and it would be that much more of a waste if I was forced to tear it off. Also, my VW glass has a slight tint, and I am concerned about the total effect of combination with film. So despite my wife's hatred of the heat, we live with it.

If all else was equal, and it was legal again, I would absolutely recommend it. My years with film were more comfortable.

By the way, I thought all modern car glass cut UV?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 20:15   #2657
BHPian

I'm going to get some sunfilm (70% visibility) installed on the side windows and rear of our Vento tomorrow, and I'm also thinking about getting it installed on the front windscreen. What are some of the pros and cons of doing this? What should I look for while choosing a film?

I usually go out in the day, and I feel exhausted by the heat even after keeping the AC at 21c + my eyes become red after driving for longer periods of time, would getting the front one in particular help reduce the heat and eye strain?

Also, do the coppers in Chennai take issue with this?
Old 19th March 2024, 21:28   #2658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
Also, do the coppers in Chennai take issue with this?
They seem to work on a flavour of the month basis. It might not be sunfilm for a long, long time, then... one day it might be. You have to live with that risk.
Old 20th March 2024, 23:59   #2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Did you get both CR70 and Garware70 installed from 3M outlet?
I installed the Garware 70 from a local shop which costed me around 8k for the rear glass and the side windows together. I installed the 3M CR70 from the authorised 3M showroom at chennai which costed me 10k for the front windshield.
If budget isn't an issue, I would suggest you to go ahead with 3M CR70 for the whole car as it is performing really well during extreme hot summer.
There won't be any difference in the aesthetic part as both of them provide 70percent visibility.
The heat reduction part has been fantastic with CR70 and it is an anti glare film, so no issues with night driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
I'm going to get some sunfilm (70% visibility) installed on the side windows and rear of our Vento tomorrow, and I'm also thinking about getting it installed on the front windscreen. W
There won't be any issue with any sunfilm with 70percent visibility. The 3M CR70 is great especially if you drive mostly during the day.
I haven't faced any issues regarding the sunfilm with the coppers in chennai. Infact, it is so mild that you wont even be able to make up the difference.
But once my Ford Endeavour was stopped by a cop in Bangalore for the sunfilm installed in the car (3M CR70) but not in chennai.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st March 2024 at 00:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts
The VAG32 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 10:00   #2660
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking for sun films with 70% visibility for my Virtus. From what I read in the thread till now below are the 2 options.

1. Garware
2. 3M

How ever most of the reviews I read are either from Bangalore or Chennai.
Can someone suggest some good POC for sun film in Hyderabad.
Old 21st March 2024, 19:02   #2661
BHPian

For folks who are on fence and not sure about night driving visibility or possibility of cops noticing it, can go for STEK films in 80-85 visibility range.

They have 2 options:
- Stek Action 80 (~7-8K for front windshield)
- Stek Nex 85 (~11-12K for front windshield)

You can check reviews online but they seem on premium range in terms of features

UV rejection is at 99% but heat rejection will be lower than the 70 series.
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 19:09   #2662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saats07 View Post
Bangalore ... Chennai ... Hyderabad.
Can it make much difference? We all suffer the same Southern-Indian sun!

Installers and availability might differ, I guess. Otherwise, I'm sure it's fine to take any recommendation from your sister cities.
Old 23rd March 2024, 15:10   #2663
BHPian

Okay, I got Garware's Icecool 70 installed on the front windshield and some generic brand (Wurth) sunfilm installed on the sides and rear. 4.5k for the front and 3k for the remaining sides.
The Garware film is noticeably better in terms of heat rejection, and I wish I'd insisted on getting that on the other sides too, but the Wurth film gets the job done for the less important sections of glass.

For anyone wondering, I'd rate the visibility as unaffected/arguably being better now because of lower reflections from the sun during the day, and less disruptive high beams at night.
Old 26th March 2024, 14:41   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can it make much difference? We all suffer the same Southern-Indian sun!
I didn't mean it that way, my point was most of the posts were from these cities and I am looking for some good installer from Hyderabad. Wanted to get some help WRT HYD.
saats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 19:06   #2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
For folks who are on fence and not sure about night driving visibility or possibility of cops noticing it, can go for STEK films in 80-85 visibility range.

They have 2 options:
- Stek Action 80 (~7-8K for front windshield)
- Stek Nex 85 (~11-12K for front windshield)

You can check reviews online but they seem on premium range in terms of features

UV rejection is at 99% but heat rejection will be lower than the 70 series.
Thanks for sharing the details, do you have any reference where can I get it done in Bengaluru ?
Old 28th March 2024, 19:09   #2666
BHPian

Garware Arctic Cool Shield installed on the front windshield of my XUV 700. Definitely experiencing a marked relief during the day.
Old 28th March 2024, 23:51   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saats07 View Post
I didn't mean it that way ... ... ... Wanted to get some help WRT HYD.
Ah, yes. My misunderstand. Hope you find a good place.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:14   #2668

I finally took the plunge and got the Garware Arctic cool sunfilm for the front windshield. It cost me 6K including taxes. It does make quite a difference, both in terms of heat and visibility. One could even drive without sunglasses with this particular sunfilm on the windshield. Hopefully sometime soon I will get the remaining glasses fitted with sunfilm as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-img_20240402_141314.jpg  

Albatroz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:51   #2669
UMe
BHPian

We already see a lot of variations in Garware for the front windshield:
Garware Arctic cool sunfilm
Garware Ice cool
Garware Supreme?

Could someone help with different features and which one could be appropriate, considering better visibility and heat rejection.

Last edited by UMe : 2nd April 2024 at 14:53.
Old 2nd April 2024, 14:53   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatroz View Post
I finally took the plunge and got the Garware Arctic cool sunfilm for the front windshield...
I'm very confused by this picture. They are applying the film on the outside? Every film I have come across is applied on the inside. Is this some new-to-me kind of film?

How can a film possibly stand the wear and tear of life on the outside, especially the windscreen?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks