Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 17:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going OT. but just a para about silicone polish.
I have been using waxpol silicone polish on my cars and it provides a fabulous shine and protection. it is a licquid, easy to apply and just wipe off. It lasts 2-3 months and I easily know when to repolish due to water evenly wetting the paint surface and not forming droplets.
HOWEVER, If it accidentally gets onto your front windshild (eg from a cloth you have used on the body and then on the windshield) it causes streaks which are impossible to remove and cause visibility problems in rains esp at night. Thus my new vdi will see only turtle or other good quality wax

Last edited by goandude : 27th July 2009 at 17:26. Reason: text added
Old 27th July 2009, 18:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Tried the Waxpol Silicone polish just about a month back. Was not at all satisfied. On automotive paint surfaces the result was the worst. Would really not recommend it.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:11   #33
BANNED

IMO, any polish contains some cleansing materials which takes off some microns of the coat. Hence, the frequency of the usage of polish should be less. For more frequent usage like once / twice a month, pure wax is the way to go.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

I give my car the 3M treatment once in 6 months and have never had any problems with it. The note on the 3M material that causes a few microns of the coat to come off is definitely something that is a cause for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite - Techinical specifications of this product look impressive and on par with waxoyl. the only hitch is that it is available only in Chennai as of now!
Can you throw more light on the availability of this product in Chennai etc ? Thanks.

Last edited by rr_zen : 27th July 2009 at 19:47.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
IMO, any polish contains some cleansing materials which takes off some microns of the coat. Hence, the frequency of the usage of polish should be less. For more frequent usage like once / twice a month, pure wax is the way to go.
Yes, in fact a polish should not be used unless its really necessary. Non abrasive wax or a protectant is the way to go.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I give my car the 3M treatment once in 6 months and have never had any problems with it. The note on the 3M material that causes a few microns of the coat to come off is definitely something that is a cause for concern.

Can you throw more light on the availability of this product in Chennai etc ? Thanks.
yes the few microns loss wouldnt be noticable. however if u have a car for 5 years and have done regular "rubbing compound" polishing you would notice that the undercoat would be visible near the fenders and at corners as the cutting of paint is more at these places on account of the orbital polishing pads used.

as regards availibility of Diamondbrite do a google search and you find that this dealer in chennai had opened shop sometime in November 2008
Old 27th July 2009, 20:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Yes, in fact a polish should not be used unless its really necessary. Non abrasive wax or a protectant is the way to go.
best way out is to use the fuzzo coat 7 PTFE protectant liquid which shines and the product guarantees a shine with water beading effect for about 6 months. i guess the same is available on indiaplaza.in
Old 27th July 2009, 20:26   #38
BHPian

Hello All. Have a few related questions that I need help on:

1. Where can I buy a microfiber cloth & pure wax in Bombay? I have been unable to find 3M products. I personally detail my cars and hence don't want the 3M treatment done by the car dealers
2. Can you please recommend make of pure wax to buy and its cost. Your experiences would really help in selecting the right product.

Thanks
Old 27th July 2009, 21:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Hello All. Have a few related questions that I need help on:

1. Where can I buy a microfiber cloth & pure wax in Bombay? I have been unable to find 3M products. I personally detail my cars and hence don't want the 3M treatment done by the car dealers
2. Can you please recommend make of pure wax to buy and its cost. Your experiences would really help in selecting the right product.

Thanks
if you are net savvy you can find the same on the indian shopping sites. as regards pure wax, there is a product by soft99 a japanese company. comes in 3 dibbas, one for pearl and white metallic cars, one for black and black metallic cars and the other for other colours. by experience ive found this to be very effective and lasts about a month.

the other option would be Sonax spray wax or dupont spray wax. good products provided you have the energy to rub off the wax and buff the painted surface. if you do so you will have a shiny car and muscular arms!
Old 27th July 2009, 22:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Tried the Waxpol Silicone polish just about a month back. Was not at all satisfied. On automotive paint surfaces the result was the worst. Would really not recommend it.
+1 to this. the worst product i have ever used. thankfully i used it on my bike. its sticky and attracts dust all over. immediately took my bike was pressure cleaning and ask that stupid stuff to be wiped of completely.

can someone tell me where can i get genuine Turte wax in Pune. whats the price?
Old 28th July 2009, 00:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
+1 to this. the worst product i have ever used. thankfully i used it on my bike. its sticky and attracts dust all over. immediately took my bike was pressure cleaning and ask that stupid stuff to be wiped of completely.

can someone tell me where can i get genuine Turte wax in Pune. whats the price?
Hmm... silicone is known to be very difficult to wipe/wash off. But this may not matter unless you intend to give your bike for a paint job.

Turtle Wax - just got a pack from an accessories shop on JM Road. The shop's name is Geeta. Its on the opposite side of the road wrt to the park. Got it for Rs. 200... which is significantly lesser than the MRP.
Old 28th July 2009, 00:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Parm, thanks for the information. Do you undertake the same job or know someone who does in Delhi NCR?
i dont anyone undertaking a professional reputed PP (paint protection) in NCR, but i know waxoyl has a presence in Delhi, its throught a maruti dealer, im sorry i cant recall it now, you can google it!

Quote:
3M paint protection treatment is for a year & one needs to repeat it if one wants to continue it. 4 years of successive tratment will thentake off a good 30 microns of clear coat.
Is this info about 3M confirmed Sunilrj ?

If yes, then Good that I have not done it on my brand new Linea postponing it for a year.
PP sealant is not for a year, if its offered less than 3-5 years, that means its just a coating and not a sealant!

Quote:
On my earlier car, I did the Teflon Coating on day 1 in the year2003.

On my New Linea, wanted to go for some Paint Protection treatment imdtly but postponed it.

After reading thro' various materials on t-bhp & net on Paints, Coats, various treatments, abrasive, poish, wax etc, my views are complately changing.

Brand new cars are painted with modern paint technologies & Common sense says that there is no reason the MFR would not have given sufficient pain protection treatment (which in any ways costs only 3-4K - minimal for a Rs. 8-9 Lac car)

After reading the effects of abrasives, Polish, rubbing compund & various treatments etc on paints, I'm thinking that I'll not use any kind of those till the time its ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. The only item which will be used is PURE WAX (without any polish component) once or twice a month.

The Absolute necessity would be - after 1-2 years when the paint developes serious scratches, marks etc & it looks quite ugly, only then I'll think of using some or the other treatment.

What say, guys ?
modern day car have water based paint due to ecological reasons! so they are more prone to the weather conditions and deterioration! you certainly need a reputed PP sealant for your new paint!

rubbing/polishing/compounding is like a facial of car, so it should be done once in 6-12 months depending upon the beating your car paint goes through. some people get their cars go through this facial every month or on a regular basis, which is totally wrong, they are harming more than protecting it!

some of us can notice small black spots when cars are parked under a tree, its call Tree Sapping! then we have bird ****/droppings, then we have oxidization of paint, acid rain, tar, bugs, industrial fall out, UV rays etc which contaminates the painted surface very badly!

rather than having a car facial now and then, its better to was the car weekly with a nice reputed car shampoo, some car shampoo comes with wax also, which doesnt require wax coat after washing. never use detergent powder to wash a car.

wash the car always with a sponge and never with a rag/old towel. if you dont find a sponge, get a used dhoti cloth or a malmal cloth!

once a month feel the surface of the car with both sides of your hand, and if the surface feels like coarse, its time for a facial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
What are the good brands of waxes available in the Indian market?
go for a reputed CARNAUBA (a tree in brazil) WAX with UV protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Modern cars are having enough underbody protection as standard. You are not in a high corrosion coastal area either. So do not waste money - however, it it your money and your car!!!
not all modern cars have enough underbody protection against rust or noise. you dont have to be a high corrosion coastal area to get a protection done. NCR (faridabad and NOIDA) have very high cases of corrosion and rust formation in modern cars.

this is because of the water in both these cities. i have personally studied the cases with Hyundai/Maruti/Honda/GM vehicles from these two cities!

it happens on the inside corners of your doors, bonnet/hood, boot/trunk/dickey!

im glad i can help anyone looking for help with their vehicle's paintwork!
Old 28th July 2009, 13:44   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
Turtle Wax - just got a pack from an accessories shop on JM Road. The shop's name is Geeta. Its on the opposite side of the road wrt to the park. Got it for Rs. 200... which is significantly lesser than the MRP.
It's simply a fake one.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:16   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, this paint protection thing is RUBBISH...little more than a revenue-generator gimmick for the service centers. Further, many of the protection materials simply aren't suited for the harsh Indian climate.

If you really want your car to look good, keep it clean and wax ever so often.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2009, 15:02   #45
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you really want your car to look good, keep it clean and wax ever so often.
Couldn't agree more. In fact, when my friend took delivery of his A-Star, the dealer asked us if we wanted the so called "teflon coat" as a freebie as we were offered freebies worth Rs. 5,000. I asked him how much would it cost and he said Rs. 3,000. My friend then asked him the cost of the 3M underbody treatment and he said that too costs Rs. 3,000 for the A-Star.

I then cornered him saying, we'd rather go for the underbody coating than the teflon. He became very defensive and said that freebies cannot be interchanged and blah blah. But my friend persisted and finally got the 3M underbody treatment done as a freebie.

The point is, the "teflon coat" is not worth it at all which is why I think this dealer was reluctant to swap it for the underbody coating. If you are offered it as a freebie, it better you swap it for something else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks