Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 12:33   #226
BHPian

Guys all those interested in putting up heavy bulbs...beware:::

I had put 130/110 in my Scorpio previously, and after some time the whole lens got hazy, and it started looking as if the headlights were of some 4-5 year old vehicle kinda! it went bad... when i showed it to the service advisors in the workshop, they said its coz of the heavy bulbs, the reflector tends go get burnt as the heat is very high in these bulbs!

but putting 100/90 in my honda city which was used for 5 years with that bulb, and in my current Getz and Tucson from past one year, has never given any kinda problems! jus see that u go for standard makes, not the chinese/korean bulbs! they are of higher power than written to win over ppls confidence in the bulbs! but thats a bad thing...

Go in for Philips BlueVision 100/90, the best bulbs i have ever seen in so many years! its between the traditional yellow bulbs we get oem, and the white bulbs that ppl put on. So it has great looks, and great visibility! very happy with it and wud recommend to anyone who wants to go for replacements! or even to those who do not want to!

in Philips, the only bulbs they have in the 100/90 is the Bluevision, or the regular yellow ones.

Plz note that the Bluevision doesnot emit a blue beam! its great if u want a mix of looks and visibility!

The crystal vision comes only in 60/55 ...
Old 13th September 2006, 12:44   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Got a pair of 90/100 Osrams in my Lancer, & boy, did they improve the view at night.

Helps a lot, especially since I can't see...

The original 55/60W were really lousy. The great bit about the 90/100W is that you don't have to worry about reflector meltdown, overheating, excessive load, etc. Just fit a good set of relays & you rock!
I used to have Rallyeye 100/130 on my Lancer for over a year, and absolutely no issues. Damn good lighting also. I guess it depends on car to car.

But yeah, always go in for branded bulbs - Philips, Osram etc. The unbranded Korean/Chinese/Jap bulbs can mess up your assembly.
Old 13th September 2006, 12:56   #228
BHPian

fellow Bhpians,
What will be correct combination of High/low beam for my petra.
Where can I get them in Bangalore?
Can I fit myself or need some expert mechanic?

Please help!

Last edited by greatDrive : 13th September 2006 at 12:57.
Old 17th September 2006, 21:58   #229
Senior - BHPian

I put in the 100/130 with a new cutout in our santro... lets see how it goes.
Old 17th September 2006, 23:54   #230
Team-BHP Support

130/100 can burn the reflecters in some cases. 100/90W is good enough.
I was lucky that in my indica the reflecter did not get burnt. But I changed back to 100/90 after I discovered that left side bulb holder was partially melted. Luckily its a cheap part.
Old 18th September 2006, 00:05   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
But I changed back to 100/90 after I discovered that left side bulb holder was partially melted. Luckily its a cheap part.
Right Now I Am Using Philips 100/90 With Roots Ceramic Holder In Innova.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:12   #232
Senior - BHPian

Head lamps

Hi, for my recently acquired Dec,'04 Scorpio Turbo 2.6 GLX am looking for some real good bulbs that would rmit pure white light and not yellowish. heard Xenons are the best in market. Where does one get them and do I have to install a relay for the same? A detailed respo listing various ratings of the bulbs and their pros & cons shall be appreciated..Thanks in advance..

hazed headlamps due to high wattage bulbs (90/100)[/quote]

Hi Karthik,

This has not happened in my case. The clearlens of my scorpio are as clear as new.[/quote]
Old 29th September 2006, 09:02   #233
BHPian

gd1418, please keep away from the 130/110 for the Scorpio atleast as in my ex Scorpio, i burnt my reflectors, using the best quality OSRAM bulbs! so the chinese/taiwanese ones will spoil it even more!

Also, if anyone is thinking for the BLUE GLASS DOME over the existing bulbs, there are kits available saying "HID LIGHT CONVERSION" they are totally waste of money. My friend has an accessory shop, so i used them for 2 days for trial, and it was horrible, worst than the oem light beam! it is only and only for looks, and u cant even see the road clearly.
Old 29th September 2006, 09:39   #234
BHPian

Guys,

I think this is a very useful thread on headlights. I've a query. What use will a fog light have during normal driving conditions. Will it really help in increasing the visibility range?

I was told that the fog lights are of no use excepting for blinding the oncoming traffic.

I recently switched to philips crystal vision on my Wagon R and still I'm not satisfied. I'm not sure how good the vision plus will be. I donot want to put rallye or other which are not legal.

help out guys.

lsjey
Old 30th September 2006, 09:05   #235
BHPian

Isjey, Switch over to Philips Blue Vision 100/90. They are very good, with great vision.

Yes, The Foglights are basically just for show in normal driving conditions. Hardly makes a difference. Just makes the near sight (lowbeam area) more bright, but nothing worth the extra investment for better visibility. they look great when put on!
Old 1st October 2006, 19:09   #236
BHPian

Philips Blue Vision

Gentlemen,

I second with Insane! Blue Vision 100/90 just rocks! I switched from OE to Crystal Vision 60/55 - in the dark they are just about average but when street lights are on - then they are as good as non-existent! I bought the Blue Vision 100/90 day before + ceramic holder + cut out + electronic relay. This just is awesome white light; fairly addictive - I feel very confident driving in the night. Impact on doom - time will tell. BTW, I did move the crystal visions to my Santro which is also H4 - anything better than OE!

I also got a Hella horn yesterday - after the OE horn I must say they are really good and people do notice that you are around.

Thanks,
-P.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:49   #237
BHPian

should we add relays even for crystalvision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
Isjey, Switch over to Philips Blue Vision 100/90. They are very good, with great vision.
Thanks guys.

Now I have got a different problem. Suddenly my low beam did not function yesterday night. Got the car checked by an electric splst. His findings shocked me. He told me that the wiring has melted because of the upgrade to crystalvision. He says that even with crystalvision one needs to change the wiring harness and add a relay. I'd bought the crystalvisions from sprocket blr.

Anyways has changed the bulbs to philips rally 100/90 with PMP relay and mico harness.

Any thoughts/suggestions guys?

Regards,

lsjey
Old 10th October 2006, 11:33   #238
elf
BANNED

When you change to any higher wattage bulbs, please install relays, a wiring harness & ceramic holders to ensure longevity of both your electrical system & headlamps.

I thought that was a given...
Old 10th October 2006, 11:40   #239
BANNED

Original Philips Crystal Vision is the same wattage as OE. In fact Crystal Vision high beam is only 55w which is less than OE (65w).

So there is no chance of burnout unless the bulbs were fake or the wiring was defective.
Old 10th October 2006, 14:22   #240
BHPian

Hi Boom Shiva,

I feel that the bulbs may not (or are they?)be fake as i bought them from Sprocket.
As for the wiring, before the installation of the Crystal vision, had not done anything to the wiring. Since Crystal vision is as per spec, i did not expect any trouble.
The electicals guy says that given some more time if I'd persisted with the use of Crystal vision, even high beams would have stopped functioning. Given that I usually service with this guy, i donot think he might be lying to me.

This sure beats me though. One learning I do have. Never buy anything to do with electricals and never ever get that installed through the dealers. Unless ofcourse you're a automotive nerd. Always have an automotive nerd along with you when doing such shopping.

Regards,
lsjey
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks