Old 1st October 2009, 15:07   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
3. Remus Exhaust
Muffler? In a list of mods?
Old 1st October 2009, 19:19   #167
rippergeo

My drive to tvm yesterday took 4hrs for 200kms. So you can imagine the traffic I had to fight. When I reached, the needle had not moved much beyond full. Mileage - 21.2kmpl have not seen that kind of number since running in. I was not taking it easy either. Every gap for safe overtaking was utilized to the max. And every deserted stretch was floored. Hoping to meet the tvm gang again after a long time. Hopefully sunday afternoon if you're free.
@nitrous- the muffler had to do for the other mad swift ,because the only supersprint catback in the country is on my car
New pieces are being ordered

Old 1st October 2009, 19:25   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
My drive to tvm yesterday took 4hrs for 200kms. So you can imagine the traffic I had to fight.
Doc,
You took the NH ?
While returning take the SH from TVM then turn left just before Changanassery > Allappey > NH

Traffic is minimal and road is very good.
Only thing to watch out is a few ongoing constructions on the SH.
But that will not be a problem.

Couple of weeks back took me almost 6Hrs via NH
and 4 Hrs via the suggested route.

EDIT : 21kmpl ? with AC ? that is amazing.
I got around 18.6kmpl 4guys with AC on 100%

Last edited by yzfrj : 1st October 2009 at 19:29.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:20   #169
BHPian

@rippergeo I finally got my swifty (thats wht my gal calls) on 21st of last month. I'm doing the running in now and i've covered 700kms, gives abt 14kmpl. I spoke to Karthik of RaceDynamics and the XM400 ECU should be making its way after a month. He mentioned a swift car (having the same ECU) running in Economy mode with four passengers and it gave 32kmp on the highway, He also mentioned the car to be 3.5secs quicker 0-100 with the Performance 25% mode too.. Will keep you updated with the stats once it makes way into my car. This is my first diesel and thanks to Joel i'm learning a new way to enjoy it.. The bottom end torque is something i enjoy in stop - go traffic, its very tempting to keep the car in the power band (darn running in).
Old 5th October 2009, 20:02   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushanth View Post
@rippergeo I finally got my swifty (thats wht my gal calls) on 21st of last month. I'm doing the running in now and i've covered 700kms, gives abt 14kmpl. I spoke to Karthik of RaceDynamics and the XM400 ECU should be making its way after a month. He mentioned a swift car (having the same ECU) running in Economy mode with four passengers and it gave 32kmp on the highway, He also mentioned the car to be 3.5secs quicker 0-100 with the Performance 25% mode too.. Will keep you updated with the stats once it makes way into my car. This is my first diesel and thanks to Joel i'm learning a new way to enjoy it.. The bottom end torque is something i enjoy in stop - go traffic, its very tempting to keep the car in the power band (darn running in).
hi
sorry but if after market ecu can make economy to 32km per liter i think all mutilnational with million of usd investment are useless for sure
good luck
narry
narry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2009, 20:11   #171
rippergeo

Congrats Kushanth.
32kmpl? wow! mileage like that is definitely welcome. reminds me of the diesel daihatsu m800 we used to own.

Mini meet in TVM
Met with immortalz, srijit and xinome.
Immz was kind enough to be my navigator. Shab was given a demo of the brakes, but I forgot to warn him My upholstery was saved this time, but for the future, I've decided to warn people to belt up even if they are sitting in the back before giving them a demo of the brakes.
Was tailed by a black lancer on the TVM byepass, I slowed to let it pass, which is what i usually do when i see a determined driver in a good car. but he slowed to crawl too, and when i parked, he parked and came out to talk to me.
Turns out it was TBHPian Sharath, whom I've never met before, but, he recognized my car. So much for being a sleeper.

Further upgrades
I've been told that my headlights are hopeless, and I wholeheartedly agree.
that is my next upgrade, but want to try and avoid extra lights.
Suggestions welcome.
currently running 130/100 phillips rally, but the throw is not so great.
Horn upgrade also planned. but not a priority. the stock horn is enough for me most of the time.

The Route back
Took the MC road from TVM back to Kottayam via changanassery on sunday afternoon. Was an amazing drive. Thanks to yzfrj for the suggestion.
there's a lot of sections under construction, but the Bilstein B14 took the hammering pretty well.
On getting onto a bridge leading out of kottayam, my foot slipped a little on the acclerator, while I was in 3rd gear, the car took off like skier off a ramp. was worried I'd break something when i landed, I did spend enough time in the air to analyse the stuff I'd brake, but thankfully nothing went wrong, and the Bilsteins saved me by not bottoming out on the landing.

The roads till adoor were really smooth with sweeping corners taken at silly speeds that i thought could never be done in kerala. Even though the route is bumpy from changanassery to kottayam, I'm hoping I'll start doing this route more often, than the boring and congested NH47.

Kottayam -Pala and Pala thodupuzha are a delight, as always. was fun chucking the car through the rubber estates

maybe I enjoyed it because it was a sunday afternoon, wonder whats its like on a working day

Boy Racers
The air filter was clogged to the limit after 7000kms. so kept speeds at 100-120kmph. the clogged air filter also explains why I found it difficult to get away from a bunch of over exuberant youngsters in an innova. I would make him disappear when we took off from a stop but 2 or 3 mins later when I'd settled at a steady 100-120 he'd reappear in the mirrors.

was a bit worried seeing them pull crazy stunts in the RVMs trying to keep up on corners, so indicated left and started to pull over. they overtook me, did the same, gave me the thumbs up(which seems to be very common among boy racers these days) and let me pass. I was relieved and resumed my journey, they didnt tailgate me any further. I'm getting that Pete's sticker removed. it seems to be acting as an open challenge to every T,D,H with a diesel. Petrol car drivers are rather well behaved. The fuel bills seem to control them quite well

got the air filter cleaned today, car is back to its free revving petrol style.
Mileage hovers around 18kmpl

Drive throughout the 600km round trip I did was pretty sedate.
I had to use the full braking prowess of the Tarox only once.
Partly because of the driving style, but more because of the massive braking performance that is available in reserve.Never had any incidents that i couldnt predict. Which is my definition of a good trip.

I'm in Love with my Car. but you guys knew that didnt you?

Old 5th October 2009, 21:13   #172
BHPian

@Narry, rippergeo the xm400ecu has four maps.. Performance 10% , Performance 25%, Economy 25% and Stock map. Its very obvious in the economy mode the power would have a steep drop and moreover you have to maintain a particular speed too. I feel you can easily reach 22 - 24kmpl in that mode. It again depends on the driver. btw is 14kmpl good in running in period ??
Old 5th October 2009, 21:20   #173
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

32 kmpl on the highways even on Economy mode is being a bit too overoptimistic. I would say expect anywhere around 23-25 kmpl with a real light foot and an engine that would takes ages to respond to the throttle position. Is it worth driving it like that? NO! Been there, done that..
Old 6th October 2009, 22:08   #174
1001bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I've been told that my headlights are hopeless, and I wholeheartedly agree.
that is my next upgrade, but want to try and avoid extra lights.
Suggestions welcome.
currently running 130/100 Phillips rally, but the throw is not so great.
That is a complaint i ve heard from all swift owners.Don think any kind of bulb would do any help on the stock set up.my suggestion would be to go for a extra set of lights(light force lights are the best if $$ is not a problem.They are really worth the money).

Old 6th October 2009, 22:13   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
32 kmpl on the highways even on Economy mode is being a bit too overoptimistic. I would say expect anywhere around 23-25 kmpl with a real light foot and an engine that would takes ages to respond to the throttle position. Is it worth driving it like that? NO! Been there, done that..
ehm i have got 22 kmpl on many a long drives and touched 24's once or twice on stock ECU and no it was not really light foot nor ages to accelerate

EDIT: last weekend drive to Coorg had FE at 22 kmpl.

@ripper and 1001bhp: adjust the headlight level thingy on the head light side, i have kept it at higher level and use the level adjuster in the cabin to negate the lift for city driving. Atleast 20% improvement. Same with fog lights, lift them up using adjuster on the unit and you will get good beam throw.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2009 at 22:17.
Old 6th October 2009, 22:38   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ehm i have got 22 kmpl on many a long drives and touched 24's once or twice on stock ECU and no it was not really light foot nor ages to accelerate

EDIT: last weekend drive to Coorg had FE at 22 kmpl.
Jaggs, I was talking with reference to the RD Ecu running in Eco mode that makes the car sluggish.

And where on earth are you driving? Even with a steady 100-110 my swift gives me around 18-19 kmpl. However, driven at speeds of 70kmph with no sudden bursts of acceleration from Bangalore to Sriperambaddur I have seen a swift D running on eco mode clock around 2-3 kmpl more than a stock car driven the same way IIRC.
Old 6th October 2009, 22:52   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Jaggs, I was talking with reference to the RD Ecu running in Eco mode that makes the car sluggish.

And where on earth are you driving? Even with a steady 100-110 my swift gives me around 18-19 kmpl. However, driven at speeds of 70kmph with no sudden bursts of acceleration from Bangalore to Sriperambaddur I have seen a swift D running on eco mode clock around 2-3 kmpl more than a stock car driven the same way IIRC.
I think you need to check the car then. Stats sake: minimum i get/have got in peak traffic 2 lane highways is 19. 5.5 hour drives till palghat (early morn starts) give 22's. 90-100's give 22+ depending on traffic and car loading, has been from day 1.

Again last weekend started from BLR at 7 and arrived at Madikeri town at 1250 did couple of heavy mountains which will amount to another 60 kms and car returned 22 kmpl.

Its not only me, most of other DDIS guys i know get 20-22 on drive as you please highway mode.

EDIT: For the records sake i get 15kmpl in BLR city and if it runs on ORR return 17-18.

All of these highway figures are with more than 85% AC on (gets too cold so have to switch off), and city close to 100% AC.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2009 at 22:56.
Old 6th October 2009, 22:57   #178
BANNED

Quote:
I think you need to check the car then.
Hhhmmm. Car is going over to RNS day after tomorrow for some rectification of boost leak issue. Though even before this problem cropped up I have never managed to get those kinda figures. Next week driving down to Hubli again, so shall check.

OT, usually my car would reach Hubli is slightly less than half a tank. This time it drank a full tank of fuel and dad had to re-fill again. I know the car is having massive boost leak since the last service, hence running very rich and giving pathetic FE. Time to get it rectified and post my figures.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:55   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you need to check the car then. Stats sake: minimum i get/have got in peak traffic 2 lane highways is 19. 5.5 hour drives till palghat (early morn starts) give 22's. 90-100's give 22+ depending on traffic and car loading, has been from day 1.
You seem to be a very good eco-performance driver. 18-19 is what I would get within the steady 100-120 range and 17-17.5 in the drive-as-you-please mode. Once I managed to coax 23 kmpl from the DDiS, but it was very sedate driving and early morning drive with very less traffic and not much overtaking involved.

I am unable to eke out more than 19 kmpl from the Fiat Multijet either. Need to get some tips from you, the next time I am in Bangalore.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:11   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
You seem to be a very good eco-performance driver. 18-19 is what I would get within the steady 100-120 range and 17-17.5 in the drive-as-you-please mode. Once I managed to coax 23 kmpl from the DDiS, but it was very sedate driving and early morning drive with very less traffic and not much overtaking involved.

I am unable to eke out more than 19 kmpl from the Fiat Multijet either. Need to get some tips from you, the next time I am in Bangalore.
Ayoo dont ask me for tips, all i can say is that i modulate the pedal based on engine response, be it sedate or fast acceleration.

I can double confirm figures with a snap (later in the day), last tank full was at chikmanglur, had done another 50 kms in BLR and that too short trips in peak traffic. Gauge was in 3/4 level and the tank took in 15 liters at 296.8 kms. Trip was done with 3 people and luggage and between afternoon and 8 pm with a short break for evening chai, drive was quite spirited (cant reveal the reason ) with peak traffic from Hassan onwards.

EDIT: and i always thought my mileage was on the lower side, with people reporting 16-18 in city traffic, you made my day. Reason why i modulate is habit from biking days, most of my bikes were slightly tweaked and jetted rich to be safe. WOT never yielded the best results and this habit somehow got carried to the car driving also.

EDIT 2: Pic uploaded.
The MAD Swift VDi-picture-274.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2009 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks