Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 19:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
My new workplace has a huge bump at its only entrance. scrape a little every day on entry, no damage done, but it hurts to listen to that sound every day.
Take the bump diagonally. You should clear it!!
Old 8th September 2009, 19:56   #107
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Take the bump diagonally. You should clear it!!
I tried, its the front overhang that scrapes.
its not a bump its a step actually. I'd like to meet the genius who got that done.

Old 8th September 2009, 20:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried, its the front overhang that scrapes.
its not a bump its a step actually. I'd like to meet the genius who got that done.

Then try it reverse diagonal - it might be silly but you could save the scraping..

Alternatively, carry a log, place it before the bump and go over it
Old 8th September 2009, 21:06   #109
BHPian

Way to go doc..she sure is a sleeper! I'm unashamedly asking for a drive in the maddy! Meet you by the end the month.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:16   #110
BHPian

Beautiful pic of the car on the flooded road. Love this thread. CarpeDiem!!!
Old 9th September 2009, 07:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CK, anekho
@1001bhp- stay safe. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the Pete's and the bilstein stickers. They also make it kinda easy for people to identify the car. i dont want the private buses of cochin marking me for assasination.

The RD ECU is pretty good VFM and does what it says on the box. If thats enough, good for you. However, if you're torque crazy like me....

planning to raise the car's front end a little (5 mm might do). My new workplace has a huge bump at its only entrance. scrape a little every day on entry, no damage done, but it hurts to listen to that sound every day.
For me performance comes first i'm aiming a decent 120 bhp 300nms but as i have limited budget to spend everymonth it might take 6months to reach there.. I'll keep you updated
Old 9th September 2009, 10:21   #112
rippergeo

@kushanth- you dont have to do all of the mods in one go. Take it step by step.
Turbo first. Exhaust next. Brakes, filter,then remap at the end. Bilsteins if you feel the need desperately. The stock suspension and chassis are pretty good if driven sanely.

Old 9th September 2009, 10:55   #113
BHPian

@rippergeo - yeah i`ll do it slowly this time.. How much did the turbo cost ?? have you changed the injectors ?? can you PM me your number ??
Old 9th September 2009, 19:03   #114
rippergeo

injectors on the fiat 1.3 are hard coded. Cant be swapped like the VAG model cars. Not using the tuning box now.
@kushant-you have disabled recieving messages

Old 9th September 2009, 23:52   #115
BHPian

Riding Shotgun with the MAD doc, err... Swift

First and foremost Thanks a lot to rippergeo. (who will be "doc" in this post henceforth)

This was a one of the planned stops during my time away from work.
I've been driving around and was not really online or reachable over the phone. I did drop a quick note to the the doc before I left Chennai.

So today was the day.

Met up with doc just after vytilla junction.
Plan was to find a road with minimal traffic.
Doc said to follow him so that my dad's car can be parked and then go for the drive.

Car looked like any other swift but a lot lower and tyre width is pretty intimidating. Except for the few stickers on the back and the Fat exhaust the car is just another VDi.

Quick was the first impression I had, since I was having to floor it to keep up with the doc when the traffic cleared up a bit. Just a puff of smoke form the tail under hard acceleration keeping me reminded its indeed an oil burner.

Car was parked safely and off we went.
The roads were pretty packed and we had little room.
The first "gap" we got, doc floored it for second 2-3 sec the car surged ahead and I was like "hmm... this is pretty good"

The only other time I had a similar experience is when I was riding shotgun in the Turbo SX4 during the trackday @ Chennai.

We went on to Island and doc said the roads are pretty good and traffic is very less. Toll was paid and off we went. There is a left right corners at the start of the road it taken close to 100 S-Drives screeched like mad the car went on as if nothing happened, minimal body roll no fuss.

The road opened up and it was a pretty good road with 0 traffic. Car was around 110+ and there are rail tracks crossing the road and at that speed it was gonna be a bit nasty. I expected the car to bounce off as it was similar to hitting a mild hump. Surprise again 2 muted "thuds" that's it no change in lane , no jumping up and down no nothing.

Car is really fast till 80 and then there is a bit of a delay to hit 100 then it picks up its skirt and surges ahead to 120, 130, 140 and doc lifts off and brakes slowly.. we are running out of road.

The one thing that is more impressive than the acceleration is the brake.
I don't know what to say or how to say it.

The way the car decelerates you will not believe a swift can do that from some serious 3 digit speeds, amazing stuff.

With the power the car has (I was told its running a "mild" map now) the brakes are a must.

The suspension is another aspect that surprised me, the ride is very good and for the things the car can do even if anyone calls it a bit hard all you can do is politely tell him to sod-off.

It was time to take a break, doc pulled over and waited for the car to cool down a bit before switching it off. Had a cold lime to drink and chatted for a while and we hit the road again.

The "kick" the car has in 3rd and 4th has to be felt to believe we scored another 130 and had some "air-time" after doc hit a hump.

Again the way the car landed was pretty amazing and the way it stops, Oh man I just love it.

The music was a low rumble and the spooling up of the turbo is much more audible. There is no diesel clatter at all and that is unbelievable and anyone who has driven a swift-d knows how bad it sounds.

Good things are never meant to last, time was up and doc had to go home and I had to get home to pickup my wife and visit a friend.

Doc dropped me back to the car and we went off in different directions. All of a sudden my dad's car felt pretty slow and the brakes oh no...!

Amazing stuff doc, may the torque be with you.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

great stuff! ripper, please overload this thread with pics

and as yzfrj says, may the torque be with you!
Old 10th September 2009, 07:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
First and foremost Thanks a lot to rippergeo. (who will be "doc" in this post henceforth)

Amazing stuff doc, may the torque be with you.
Great second opinion yzf.

Doc, Whats the top whack? Any 0-100 timings? Good to read such reports!
Old 10th September 2009, 08:52   #118
rippergeo

@headers-not done a 0-100 recently. Waiting to meet up with jayd who is my official time keeper.as expected with a small capacity diesel Its not a 0-100 car. It shines on the ghats and during overtaking where the in gear acceleration and torque come in handy. According to speedo, 100 comes up in 10secs,gps is not so great .whatever said, it is 4 secs faster to 100than when the car was stock. In gear timings are what need to be checked
80-140 in 5th. 60 to 100 in 4th and 30 to 80 in 3rd is where the magic is. That and 120 to 0.
What needs to remembered is that its a tiny turbo diesel and it is currently punching far above its class, and that is very satisfying
@riju, anekho - thanks for the kind words. 80-100 takes time because of my relaxed gear shift from 3rd to 4th. Trying to preserve the stock clutch, you see.

Old 10th September 2009, 09:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@headers-not done a 0-100 recently. ..
Its not a 0-100 car. ....gps is not so great .whatever said, it is 4 secs faster to 100than when the car was stock. In gear timings are what need to be checked
I couldnt agree better with you doc, but having said that, i must say the swift D is a very satisfying car with great "in-gear" accelaration as well as superb revvability!

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:54   #120
rippergeo

My NFS Moment

My car's first automag appearance. In the Autocar sept 09 "Tunit" supplement

Here's what Autocar had to say during the initial stages of tuning(PDF file below)
The plan was to finish the tuning and remap before ACI came down, but things got held up due to the delay in perfecting the custom downpipe
Car was then running the Supersprint catback exhaust, the TurboDynamics hybrid turbo, Green Storm and the tuning box.
it was a little embarassing to turn up there in a batterd blue swift with steel wheels while all the other cars were big, German,Czech sedans with understated bling. That soon settled when Mr.Shapur told me that the car was running very well. Phew!

It was also running worn 185 section potenzas and a clutch that was slipping to glory.
The car still did 0-100 roughly 2 secs faster than stock.
Now that the fuelling is perfect, the cat has been removed,suspension helps reduce front end lift and wheel spin at launch and the clutch is good, car performs much better. Only small irritant right now is the 205 section tyres that slow me down a bit. Its a trade off for braking and cornering, but I'm not sure if I need all that extra grip, with the way I drive. Cant wait to wear out the current set and experiment with the 195 section tyres.

Timing in the finished form has not been done yet. Its been a busy few weeks and synchronising with my official timekeeper is a problem because he's running around, running in his i20

finding the roads to test the car safely is also a big issue.

Car's front end was raised by 5 mm recently. no further scraping at the huge step in front of my workplace.

I'm doing 50-70kms per day and the mileage and diesel costs are quite pleasant. Commuting is also nce, because instead of overtaking slow moving traffic at every available oppurtunity, i now relax and take them in batches of 4-5.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hppscan3.pdf (406.5 KB, 718 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks