Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 21:30   #751
Senior - BHPian

Forgive me if I am wrong but I always thought DRL was not supposed to light up the roads during the day even in gloomy conditions but meant for others to spot you.
Old 25th August 2007, 21:55   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Use of DRLs

Hi Rahul_intlad,

You are absolutely correct: DRLs are for use so that others can spot you (oncoming only) earlier.

My interest in them is so that I can manually switch them on during rainy/dusty/overcast days or times of the day, especially if driving on semi-urban areas or highways during the 'highway rush-hour' so that oncoming traffic can spot me earlier. I would also consider keeping them on during rural highway runs because it definitely increases a car's visibility to oncoming traffic.

Of course, switching on sidelights will do accomplish exactly the same but is probably a bit of a overkill with the rear lights also staying on.

My intention was not to light up the road at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Forgive me if I am wrong but I always thought DRL was not supposed to light up the roads during the day even in gloomy conditions but meant for others to spot you.
Old 26th August 2007, 15:24   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi NK,

Read your post with great interest as I had been looking to buy a good replacement for the stock bulbs for my Chevy Aveo.

Have placed an order this afternoon with Autolamps Online for a pair of H4 X-treme +80% bulbs.

Incidentally, did you face any issues with Indian Customs etc?
None whatsoever. These bulbs are sent as packaged gift items, so no need to worry about customs. The only thing I was told to worry about was to make sure the delivered bulbs were not damaged in transit. If they were, you need to get back to the seller asap and communicate the same. From my experience, no such issues were encountered. But the customer service helpdesk at Autolamps was pretty responsive when I asked them a question.

Happy motoring.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:38   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
None whatsoever. These bulbs are sent as packaged gift items, so no need to worry about customs. The only thing I was told to worry about was to make sure the delivered bulbs were not damaged in transit. If they were, you need to get back to the seller asap and communicate the same. From my experience, no such issues were encountered. But the customer service helpdesk at Autolamps was pretty responsive when I asked them a question.

Happy motoring.
Dont we get the same imported ones here in reputed car accessories stores? I think i saw them around 900 bucks. Will it be any different than those?

Also do this company provide a guarantee? And, typically how long can we expect these blue vision bulbs to last?
Old 26th August 2007, 20:43   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dont we get the same imported ones here in reputed car accessories stores? I think i saw them around 900 bucks. Will it be any different than those?

Also do this company provide a guarantee? And, typically how long can we expect these blue vision bulbs to last?
The cost for shipping will exceed the cost of the bulbs
Old 27th August 2007, 11:25   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The cost for shipping will exceed the cost of the bulbs
Busa, Auto online provides free shipping. Its another matter that cost of shipping is cushioned into the price
Old 27th August 2007, 11:38   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Strangely enough Mobike008, they are being sold at more or less the same rate on eBay UK. I did a comparison using 2/3 of the UK price comparison websites but did not find them substantially cheaper elsewhere. Powerbulbs and other reputed UK e-tailers are selling them for around 24.99 with free delivery too.

Went with Autolamps as NK had a good experience with them.
Old 27th August 2007, 11:43   #758
BHPian

For my SX4, I upgraded Philips Rally 100/90 W bulbs. Kit included fuse and relay. Total cost was Rs 850/=. I feel some difference in city drives, though not drastic improvement. I am anyway feeling it to be better than stock ones. Hoping it should give confident for long drives.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:48   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Strangely enough Mobike008, they are being sold at more or less the same rate on eBay UK. I did a comparison using 2/3 of the UK price comparison websites but did not find them substantially cheaper elsewhere. Powerbulbs and other reputed UK e-tailers are selling them for around 24.99 with free delivery too.

Went with Autolamps as NK had a good experience with them.
Good to hear that. Look forward to knowing your experience after you receive the bulbs. Btw, any idea how long these bulbs last? any mention anywhere or anybody's experience? Are these 80+ white lights ones?
Old 27th August 2007, 13:11   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobike008,

I couldn't seem to find any details on how long these will last but assume that they do NOT have a significantly reduced lifespan. This is because IMO, reputed manufacturers like Philips/Osram/GE/Narva clearly mention which of their products will NOT last as long as per market expectations, which helps them to manage their brand image and liability etc. So the lack of any such warning from Philips and/or adverse comments on the forums (URLs below) hopefully mean that they will last nearly as long as ordinary H4s.

For everyone's convenience, here are some links to Philip's dedicated website for the X-treme Power range and also to Auto Express (a highly reputed UK car accessory magazine):

PHILIPS - X-treme Power Lamp

Accessory of the year: Philips X-treme Power | Product Honours 2007 | Products | Auto Express

Further, here are some URLs to forums where people have fitted the +80% bulbs etc and are generally positive about the experience:

EK9.org: new phillips x-treme +80% bulbs review, AMAZING!!

Honda-Tech.com: Tech/Misc: WHICH BULBS ARE THE BEST BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE???????????

http://www.lampsource.gr/images/prod...release_en.pdf

Blue/White Halogen bulb actual color temp results - Club Lexus Forums

There was one more forum where I found an excellent comparison between a Honda Civic's stock headbulbs and replacements such as PIAA, GE Nighthawk and the X-treme +80 but just can't find the *&%&^@# website again! Will post if I do.

One point to remember is that as these bulbs are rated 60/55 watts, you can save on the expense and risk (if done by inexperienced mechanics) of fitting a relay and relevant wiring needed to use 90/100 watt bulbs.

Further, many headbulb reflectors/lenses and sundry bulb mountings get seriously damaged if higher (than standard) bulbs are used such as the illegal 130/100 Rally ones.

On the whole I feel that paying about Rs. 1,700 for warrantied (I hope!) bulbs which are identical to stock power ratings etc is a good use of money and especially for brand-new cars!
Old 27th August 2007, 13:57   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Whew, thats loads of info. I already have a relay and cutout so i am looking for white bulbs in 90/100 category. I will take a look at the info and see should be the next steps.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:46   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Mobike008,

Also take a look at:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Specifically the following page (and others) on 'good' and 'bad' bulbs:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Sounds pretty authoritative but then so does half the 'expert websites' anyway!

Let us know your comments. Maybe other TBHPians can also add their thoughts?

Last edited by itwasntme : 27th August 2007 at 14:48. Reason: Typo
Old 27th August 2007, 20:01   #763
BHPian

Are the Philips X-tremes available in India?
Old 27th August 2007, 20:07   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
Are the Philips X-tremes available in India?

I am sure it is available. But, you never know how original they might be. Some of these fakes come with an almost original look including the packaging.
Old 27th August 2007, 20:13   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi theexister,

In brief, NO (at least not officially!). I called up Dowlat Basha (the poor man - must have thought: "Not another lunatic from the T-BHP gang".

He is the (unfortunate) Philips contact (in all advertisements) for South India and he categorically said that Philips India are going to introduce the +80% range in one or two months. They are studying the pricing strategy in India etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks