Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2015, 18:01   #1456
BHPian

re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I believe the Alto has a single horn and of a lower wattage compared to Xylo's twin pair high wattage ones. In addition, the Splendour battery would be bigger as compared to what the RX has. All these would probably result in the Alto horn working fine.
With the limited usage of the Tempo horn on 100R, I would guess that the sound would be little muted but adequate since the horn is not inside any engine bay.

I will be taking a second opinion from a different mechanic sometime soon - but the first mechanic's logic seems sound (no pun there!).
Hello mmxylorider and Chennai Bhpians

I am planning to get the Roots windtone installed on my xylo.
Wanter to confirm if I can get a roots plug and play wiring harness so that the stock connector and harness are not tampered.
Also, is the stock relay and wiring capable enough to handle the roots windtone.

@ chennai Bhpians
Can someone suggest some good places for roots windtone purchase and installation.

Last edited by antorquetik : 4th July 2015 at 18:04. Reason: missed information in original post
Old 4th July 2015, 19:30   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
Hello mmxylorider and Chennai Bhpians

I am planning to get the Roots windtone installed on my xylo.
Wanter to confirm if I can get a roots plug and play wiring harness so that the stock connector and harness are not tampered.
Also, is the stock relay and wiring capable enough to handle the roots windtone.

@ chennai Bhpians
Can someone suggest some good places for roots windtone purchase and installation.
Try adamjee, GP road!
That's where I got my roots horn from.

All was well until I sent my car for service. Trumpets stopped working & became single tone.
Replaced them with much more powerful Hella Supertone red grill
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 23:11   #1458
vdm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Try adamjee, GP road!
That's where I got my roots horn from.

All was well until I sent my car for service. Trumpets stopped working & became single tone.
Replaced them with much more powerful Hella Supertone red grill
Well I had a very bad experience with the Hella Supertone red grill horn. It went kaput in just 6 months & since these were all imported pieces they were not covered under warranty.
Old 4th July 2015, 23:15   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
Well I had a very bad experience with the Hella Supertone red grill horn. It went kaput in just 6 months & since these were all imported pieces they were not covered under warranty.
One advantage of the Supertone Red grill is it can be fixed. Usually the point set/etc would go bad, shouldnt cost over rs200 to fix them. Other horns in the hella range aren't serviceable.
Old 4th July 2015, 23:19   #1460
vdm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
One advantage of the Supertone Red grill is it can be fixed. Usually the point set/etc would go bad, shouldnt cost over rs200 to fix them. Other horns in the hella range aren't serviceable.
I do agree with you but the point set/ etc are not of hella original make and so it doesn't lasts long & believe I have experienced it.
Old 5th July 2015, 00:05   #1461
Senior - BHPian

I had bought Hella black pearl for both my Ecosport (1 year back) and Fiesta (7 months back) and extremely disappointed to say that the high tone horn of both the cars got blown. I took special care while servicing or washing and never got the engine bay sprayed with water. The horns had costed 700-750 a set and they did not last much.

The roots windtone doing duty in Linea is well past 2 years and still works flawlessly, changing to Roots from now on though the Hella sounded significantly better than Roots.
Old 5th July 2015, 09:59   #1462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The roots windtone doing duty in Linea is well past 2 years and still works flawlessly, changing to Roots from now on though the Hella sounded significantly better than Roots.
As mentioned by Sunny in the above post, save for RedGrill, no other Hella is repairable or is waterproof.

Had the Hella trumpet one, it conked off. Fitted Roots trumpet & it lasted till I sold the car. If going for Hella, get the RedGrill or go for roots.
Old 9th July 2015, 13:22   #1463
Senior - BHPian

I have the OEM horn on my Swift and find it adequate for highway or city use. However, I wanted to check if its possible to fit a 'truck' type horn in my Swift without removing the OEM one and probably have a separate button for it.

I need that blaring truck/bus horn which would be like really loud, any pointers?
Old 9th July 2015, 17:19   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I had bought Hella black pearl for both my Ecosport (1 year back) and Fiesta (7 months back) and extremely disappointed to say that the high tone horn of both the cars got blown. I took special care while servicing or washing and never got the engine bay sprayed with water. The horns had costed 700-750 a set and they did not last much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
As mentioned by Sunny in the above post, save for RedGrill, no other Hella is repairable or is waterproof.

Had the Hella trumpet one, it conked off. Fitted Roots trumpet & it lasted till I sold the car. If going for Hella, get the RedGrill or go for roots.
Red grill is back in stock on PayTM - this time its 1350 with 30% cashback, effective price would be Rs 945. I bought it for 1300 - 30% which came to 910.

https://paytm.com/shop/p/hella-super...5E30BA93_31277

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have the OEM horn on my Swift and find it adequate for highway or city use. However, I wanted to check if its possible to fit a 'truck' type horn in my Swift without removing the OEM one and probably have a separate button for it.

I need that blaring truck/bus horn which would be like really loud, any pointers?
usual "truck type" horns are powered by air, since buses have pneumatic system. The current loudest horns available are Roots Megasonic. However they are HUGE and might not fit in the bumper (I bought a pair, they could never fit both together so its lying idle with me). However, the next loudest horn, Hella Redgrill should fit easily and not require any additional wiring to be done (assuming your car has two horns as stock). I have given a cheap source for redgrills above!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 9th July 2015 at 17:22.
Old 9th July 2015, 17:39   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
usual "truck type" horns are powered by air, since buses have pneumatic system. The current loudest horns available are Roots Megasonic. However they are HUGE and might not fit in the bumper (I bought a pair, they could never fit both together so its lying idle with me). However, the next loudest horn, Hella Redgrill should fit easily and not require any additional wiring to be done (assuming your car has two horns as stock). I have given a cheap source for redgrills above!
What about the Stebel Nautilus horns? They definitely seem like a bridge between electric and pneumatic horns. I guess these should be louder than Red Grille, isn't it? Also, isn't Hella notorious for going kaput in rains?
Old 9th July 2015, 17:50   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the Stebel Nautilus horns? They definitely seem like a bridge between electric and pneumatic horns. I guess these should be louder than Red Grille, isn't it? Also, isn't Hella notorious for going kaput in rains?
Stebel Nautilus are rated at 18-20A thats way too much current for a horn in my books.

Red grills are 3.5x2=7A, even megasonic is 4x2=8A. All that extra current for a little bit more noise is not worth it in my books.

Stebel is not that well known in Indian circles yet; warranty/replacement might becoems a headache in case things go wrong.
Old 9th July 2015, 18:00   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stebel Nautilus are rated at 18-20A thats way too much current for a horn in my books.
Nautilus is rated 139dB so its definitely louder and if my Swift's battery can handle that with a relay then why not. So next question, what kind of relay am I looking for if Nautilus compact air horn is what I wish to install?

I already have a 100/90 Philips headlamp setup so am I looking at the light dimming effect even when using them with a proper relay?
Old 9th July 2015, 18:42   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nautilus is rated 139dB so its definitely louder and if my Swift's battery can handle that with a relay then why not.
Nautilus is rated 139dB at 4 inch, which is 10cm (!!); 115dB at 2m while other horns such as the hella red grill are rated 118dB at 1m and Megasonic 125dB at 1m

Power Horns!-isw_2014_stebel-horn-packaging.jpg

Anyway if you wish to get the Stebel then by all means go ahead

Quote:
So next question, what kind of relay am I looking for if Nautilus compact air horn is what I wish to install?

I already have a 100/90 Philips headlamp setup so am I looking at the light dimming effect even when using them with a proper relay?
I was checking eBay.in listings for Stebel nautilus horns, the relay is included in the package. Get the install done using the provided relay, insist on the installer to put in a 20A fuse with the wiring. If the wiring is done properly, there should be no dimming effect.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 18:48   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nautilus is rated 139dB at 4 inch, which is 10cm (!!); 115dB at 2m while other horns such as the hella red grill are rated 118dB at 1m and Megasonic 125dB at 1m
So you mean I need to get two of these!

Actually I did know about the rating at 2 meters also but read so many praises of the loudness that I thought it'd still be loud enough. Hella sounded too shrill for my liking but maybe I'll have to demo Megasonic & Red Grill to see if I like any of them in person. Doesn't 'sound' kind of double at every 3 dB so that ways wouldn't Megasonic be a clear winner?
Quote:
I was checking eBay.in listings for Stebel nautilus horns, the relay is included in the package. Get the install done using the provided relay, insist on the installer to put in a 20A fuse with the wiring. If the wiring is done properly, there should be no dimming effect.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/SUPER-LOUD-ST...item19fc82a57f
Did you check this one? This seemed like the only genuine one and doesn't mention relay anywhere?
Old 9th July 2015, 19:08   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean I need to get two of these!
Two of these = 36A ; 12V*36A = 432W. Too much load in the name of horns.

Quote:
Actually I did know about the rating at 2 meters also but read so many praises of the loudness that I thought it'd still be loud enough. Hella sounded too shrill for my liking but maybe I'll have to demo Megasonic & Red Grill to see if I like any of them in person. Doesn't 'sound' kind of double at every 3 dB so that ways wouldn't Megasonic be a clear winner?
My love for the Megasonic started with my Karizma as it was the first thing I put on when I bought the bike. 3 years later and riding in countless rainy days, the horn works as good as new.

Power Horns!-img_20140811_0653292.jpg

It sounds like an ambassador horn of yesteryears, not pleasing to the ear but enough to scare the brown stuff off jaywalkers. IMHO, horns should be irritating and grabbing the attention of others, not sound pleasing to them

Quote:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/SUPER-LOUD-ST...item19fc82a57f
Did you check this one? This seemed like the only genuine one and doesn't mention relay anywhere?
The red box in the picture is the relay. You can see it clearer in the below pic from the listing:

Power Horns!-img9767.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 9th July 2015 at 19:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks