Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:37   #5881
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Unless your 2014+ wagon r came with a bs6 engine with dpf and everything else, anything at all will work fine with it. 0w20 and all - very good fuel economy but if I'm not wrong maruti promptly made the oil change interval 6 months or 10k km when they introduced 0w20?

Pour 5w30 or 5w40 a3/b4 or a5/b5 in a bs4 k10 engine and you won't miss a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Anecdote : A FNG had replaced the engine oil on my K10B wagonR with 5W30 since he wasn't aware of the 0W20 recommendation for 2014+ cars. I couldn't feel any difference for the 5000km it was in the car. Switched back to 0w20 and didn't note any difference but I didn't pay much attention either. I think the FE has slightly improved with the 0W20 but I haven't checked specifically.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:21   #5882
Senior - BHPian
 
shancz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 1,581
Thanked: 4,461 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
0w20 and all - very good fuel economy but if I'm not wrong maruti promptly made the oil change interval 6 months or 10k km when they introduced 0w20?
Thanks for confirming what I felt or didn't feel
The oil change is still 10k kms/12 months though, as per the manual.

Slightly OT :
In an ambient temperature ranging from 0-45C wouldn't the 5W30 be better suited rather than the 0W20 ?
shancz is offline  
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:02   #5883
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Thanks for confirming what I felt or didn't feel
The oil change is still 10k kms/12 months though, as per the manual.

Slightly OT :
In an ambient temperature ranging from 0-45C wouldn't the 5W30 be better suited rather than the 0W20 ?
As I said it won't hurt your car to pour 5w30
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:52   #5884
BHPian
 
windiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: All CAPS
Posts: 429
Thanked: 156 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Guys, my meteor 350 uses a company recommended semi synth 15w50, can i use 10w50 fully synthetic instead?
windiesel is offline  
Old 24th January 2022, 12:08   #5885
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Guys, my meteor 350 uses a company recommended semi synth 15w50, can i use 10w50 fully synthetic instead?
All that it needs is to fulfil JASO MA/MA2. Use whatever you prefer that fits that spec and is around the same weight. 10w50 fully synth from Motul or Amsoil will be quite ok for your ride.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 14:21   #5886
BHPian
 
Viraj.515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Navsari, GJ
Posts: 50
Thanked: 226 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Guys,

I drive a 2019 Ford Freestyle 1.5 TDCi BS-IV which is now remapped. Current odometer stands at 75k.

Ford OE oil is not upto the mark and the engine starts to feel coarse after 6.5k-7k kms. So, can I switch to Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 API SN/CF Fully SynThetic engine oil for optimum protection and performance?

If not, what are the other options?

Thanks & Regards,
Viraj
Viraj.515 is offline  
Old 15th February 2022, 17:12   #5887
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 139 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I have an Etios (petrol) and I used Shell Helix Taxi 5w30 in the last oil change. I bought a Purolator oil filter procured from a local vendor and today boodmo delivered the original filter. The difference is substantial and I want to change it immediately.Since there will be some loss of oil during the filter change, I tried to find a 1 litre bottle of Shell Taxi but unable to. What are my options? Can I use 5w30 semi synthetic from another vendor or go for shell fully synthetic for the top up? The oil change has been recent so complete replacement is out of question.
kotirajendra is offline  
Old 15th February 2022, 17:17   #5888
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
I have an Etios (petrol) and I used Shell Helix Taxi 5w30 in the last oil change. I bought a Purolator oil filter procured from a local vendor and today boodmo delivered the original filter. The difference is substantial and I want to change it immediately.Since there will be some loss of oil during the filter change, I tried to find a 1 litre bottle of Shell Taxi but unable to. What are my options? Can I use 5w30 semi synthetic from another vendor or go for shell fully synthetic for the top up? The oil change has been recent so complete replacement is out of question.
What do you mean the difference is substantial? You mean in the shape or size of the filter? A filter that Purolator says is for your model of Etios will work fine on it even if it may not resemble the original Toyota filter in shape or size.

As long as the filter has fit properly in your Etios and it is an Etios filter sold by Purolator you shouldn't need to change it out to fit a Toyota OEM filter.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:23   #5889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 139 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I am sorry I was not clear. Here is a photo of the Toyota filter. I can see the thick yellow folds of the paper filter from the holes. The filter was also covered with a protective plastic seal.

Name:  Screenshot 20220215 201630.png
Views: 629
Size:  829.8 KB

The Purolator that I bought from local vendor didn't appear like that. I couldn't see the filter from the holes, it didn't have any protective seal. So "visually" it gives me the perception that the original is of higher quality. Again, I am not an expert and this is perception based. I read discussions on oil filters and members were of the opinion that the original parts are built to different specification and tolerance than what the manufactures retails in the after market segment. This colored my opinion quite a bit. Again all perception and mental bias without any real evidence.

I am intent on changing it since -
a. It doesn't cost much but can have a impact on the car
b. Peace of mind to know that the car is equipped with the best

Last edited by kotirajendra : 15th February 2022 at 20:29. Reason: more clarity
kotirajendra is offline  
Old 15th February 2022, 20:30   #5890
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

You can use a Purolator filter eyes closed. The founder of Purolator **invented** the oil filter back in the 1920s.

https://www.purolatornow.com/en/about-purolator.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
The Purolator that I bought from local vendor didn't appear like that. I couldn't see the filter from the holes, it didn't have any protective seal. So "visually" it gives me the perception that the original is of higher quality. Again, I am not an expert and this is perception based. I read discussions on oil filters and members were of the opinion that the original parts are built to different specification and tolerance than what the manufactures retails in the after market segment. This colored my opinion quite a bit. Again all perception and mental bias without any real evidence.

I am intent on changing it since -
a. It doesn't cost much but can have a impact on the car
b. Peace of mind to know that the car is equipped with the best
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:34   #5891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 139 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Thanks hserus, your opinion is respected.
Out of curiosity what would be the answer for the original question on the top-up?
kotirajendra is offline  
Old 15th February 2022, 21:11   #5892
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Thanks hserus, your opinion is respected.
Out of curiosity what would be the answer for the original question on the top-up?
Just check on Amazon and if that isnt there, buy a 3.5 litre can, and use the rest for your next oil change.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 21:39   #5893
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 139 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Hserus - you gave a practical solution that is simple and elegant but I am going to follow your original advice and maintaining status quo. I was wondering at the theoretical aspects of mixing. But thanks again.
kotirajendra is offline  
Old 17th February 2022, 14:48   #5894
BHPian
 
sac23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Kollam
Posts: 43
Thanked: 85 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

The engine oil in our Chevrolet Sail Petrol 1.2 was changed 11 months ago from the ASC. They used Total Quartz 7000 FUT GF5 5W30 as per the invoice although I highly doubt if it is the reality. The vehicle has run only 2000 km since but the condition of the oil is pretty bad as the color has considerably darkened for oil which has only run 2000 km and moreover it has a petrol smell. The vehicle is not burning any oil as was evident from the extremely low HC reading from the emission test for a 9-year-old car with some 30000 km in ODO.

I have read in some older posts that the Quartz 7000 has great detergent properties which darken the oil pretty quickly. But I was using this oil for the past 9 years and replaced it every year with 5000 km or less. It is for the first time I am noticing such a quick degradation. I have my doubts on the ASC who might be using inferior quality oil and billing it as Quartz 7000 since Total seems to have stopped the sales of the oil in question in India after Chevrolet left India.

Another reason for my suspicion is that they billed me only Rs. 1000 for 3.75L of oil which is cheaper than what Maruti charges for MGO for small cars.

Therefore, I decided to replace the oil from an FNG this time with the oil of my choice. The manual specifies SAE 5W-30 API SM GF4. After going through all the available options and considering the low running of the vehicle I think Sell Helix Taxi 5W30 is a good choice. It has not mentioned anything about GF rating but it is SN+. And it's said that SN+ is equivalent to GF5? Is this oil safe to use in this vehicle?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th February 2022 at 14:55. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sac23 is offline  
Old 17th February 2022, 17:55   #5895
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 8,968 Times
Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
The engine oil in our Chevrolet Sail Petrol 1.2 was changed 11 months ago from the ASC. They used
Shell Helix Taxi is a good semi synthetic oil and will do very wellf or your Sail. Don't worry about it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks