Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:08   #5971
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I tried to procure Helix Ultra 5W40 synthetic oil from my area (Chromepet) Shell petrol bunk but it was not available with them. They said the supply has been stopped and only a 0W40 grade is coming, which costs about Rs 1350 a litre. They had Helix Ultra in 5W30 grade though. So I purchased HX7 10W40 semi synthetic instead. I have been buying oil for my car and bike from them for more than a decade and they have been very reliable.

To verify their statement I visited Shell bunk at Ashok Nagar and tried to buy Helix Ultra 5W40 but they also informed the supply to them has been stopped and offered 0W40 instead.

But I do find Ultra 5W40 on Amazon and Flipkart. How come it is available online? I avoid buying engine oil from unknown sources, though the rates are cheaper.
Old 23rd July 2022, 16:45   #5972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But I do find Ultra 5W40 on Amazon and Flipkart. How come it is available online? I avoid buying engine oil from unknown sources, though the rates are cheaper.
Even if phased out unsold stocks will take a year or two to be sold out. They’re good oils even if phased out, and sold in tamper proof packing, so buy.
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:04   #5973
BHPian

Quote:
Don't buy FS oils online. The margin is huge for tampering, with these being non returnable item.
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:41   #5974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After using Mobil-1 0W40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for the past three years, I am going back to Shell Helix HX 7 10W40 semisynthetic oil for my Alto's upcoming annual service. Price is Rs 645 per litre at the Shell fuel station.
Quote:
I tried to procure Helix Ultra 5W40 synthetic oil from my area (Chromepet) Shell petrol bunk but it was not available with them. They said the supply has been stopped. So I purchased HX7 10W40 semi synthetic instead. But I do find Ultra 5W40 on Amazon and Flipkart. How come it is available online? I avoid buying engine oil from unknown sources, though the rates are cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Even if phased out unsold stocks will take a year or two to be sold out. They’re good oils even if phased out, and sold in tamper proof packing, so buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Don't buy FS oils online. The margin is huge for tampering, with these being non returnable item.
Issue solved. The main reason I buy Helix Ultra was because the MSM worshop has no 40 weight oil except Mobil1 0w40. But they will measure and fill 2.75 litres for my car, and I will have no reserve oil in hand for top-up if required. Buying one litre of Mobil1 outside for a probable need of top-up will be a waste. It is just for peace of mind during road trips, I have never had to top up oil during the past 12 years for the car.

As a solution I used to buy three 1 litre cans of Helix Ultra from Shell station every year, two cans will be fully used up and I will retain ~ 200 ml in the last can after the oil change. This process was repeated every year. A couple of years ago I bought the same oil at a considerable discount from a shop referred by @hserus and it was good. But it is too far for me and I don't want to go so far under current conditions. I even avoid taking the car for service for the past two years, it is being picked up and delivered back by my SA from MSM who lives in the same neighborhood as I.

I had a talk with with that fellow and his manager today, and the problem has been solved in the following manner! They will bill me for 3 litres of Mobil1, fill 2.75 litres in the car and fill the remaining 0.250 litres in a can I will send in the car! They have been refusing this (loose sales) all these years.

So I have returned the three litres of HX7 to Shell and bought two litres of Shell Advance 10W50 for my bike, for the same value!
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20220723_210535.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 23:45   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
Issue solved. The main reason I buy Helix Ultra was because the MSM worshop has no 40 weight oil except Mobil1 0w40. But they will measure and fill 2.75 litres for my car, and I will have no reserve oil in hand for top-up if required.
For top up, never buy reserve oil if your car is not an oil burner.
If you are going for a 2000 km long drive and you start your journey with oil at the top level on the dip stick and see that oil level has dropped to minimum level, just top up with whatever engine oil you can lay your hands on. Even the oil we use for motorcycles, which you shared here. Yes, it is w50, but 200, 300 ml makes no difference.
I am sure while returning these 1000 kms you will see ample engine oil shops/ bunks in our super populated country, where language changes every 50 kms, where you can get any car specific oil to maintain the dip stick level.

Topping up with any 'oil' is much less risky than spilling oil in the car and inviting a fire hazard.

Never store any flammable liquid in your car.

By the way I am not giving any advice, which I didn't follow, have topped up my car's engine with motorcycle oil once. This happened when I over used a FS oil (4k kms, should have changed at 3k kms) and dipstick showed less oil than the minimum level. I added 4T oil and ran 1k kms more and changed at 5k kms. Never used FS oil again in my car.

Why there is no problem? Base oil viscosity is more or less same in oils, however viscosity modifiers are added to prevent the oil from reaching back to its original viscosity. Hence, a w50 will have more of them than a w40, or much more than w30. The moment you add 200 ml of w50 in 3 L of w30, the resultant viscosity may be w32 (hypothetical). Nothing much happens with this change.
Moreover, oils become thinner and thinner as they are used in the engine. An oil that was w40 when you put it in, may be w30 after 5000 kms when you change it.

Now, one may ask, if my oil spec is w40 and I get a w30 oil in the same situation (2000 km drive, oil less, what to do?)
Top up with w30 or w20, whichever is available. Nothing will happen. If your oil was w40 when you put it in, but at the time of top up with w30 or w20 it has a viscosity of w30 (let's say) final viscosity after 200, 300 ml oil top up will be w28 (hypothetical). Believe me, nothing will happen.

Never run low on oil, top up with any oil (I am sure you know this, but it is for other visiting this post)

Only caveat attached is, if you have changed the grade by a large degree and used a high volume of oil for top up, don't wait for long and change this oil mixture at your earliest convienece.

Sorry, for such a long post. Information reference is from at least 50 used oil analysis (made public by Blackstone) I personally analysed some 10 years ago. Oil chemistry hasn't changed much from that time.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 01:05   #5976
Senior - BHPian

^^ I agree. My car does only about 5k km a year, most of it on intercity trips. I have never seen the oil level change much for this limited usage, but I still carry a small amount of oil and coolant in the car. I service the car and change the oil only once every twelve months. Though I know different oils are miscible, I would rather prefer the same oil.
Old 24th July 2022, 05:02   #5977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
For top up, never buy reserve oil if your car is not an oil burner..
All good points, any oil at all is better than a dry sump any day, but when buying oil in cans you inevitably end up with left over oil. Just use that for the next oil fill, buying a lesser quantity of oil in one litre cans if available. Having two cars that take the same 5w30 a5b5, this approach is even more feasible.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:16   #5978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Gulf Ultrasynth X Plus 5W30 3.5 litre can for just Rs 967 on Amazon India. Those looking for cheap yet good oil can go ahead
Thanks for the tip. Got it for 1000 bucks during the Prime day sale (23rd) and the package was delivered yesterday.

There's supposed to be some coupon (under the outer cap) which is missing. Manufacturing date is Nov 2021 which I hope is not an issue as the seal is still intact.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20220726_105557.jpg

Last edited by self_driven : 26th July 2022 at 11:18.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:49   #5979
BHPian

Quote:

Beware of buying online. There are many instances of bad practices being widely reported what with tampered seals, pushing very old stocks and refusing returns. Even the review section is full of nightmarish experiences.
Old 26th July 2022, 14:51   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
Beware of buying online. There are many instances of bad practices being widely reported what with tampered seals, pushing very old stocks and refusing returns. Even the review section is full of nightmarish experiences.
If you buy directly from Amazon as the seller that problem is reduced.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:56   #5981
BHPian

Seems like Hyundai's OEM BS6 Oils are now available on Boodmo. Good news for Hyundai, Kia owners.

Link 1- https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi...0_5l-58231062/

Link 2- https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi...0_4l-58231063/
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:55   #5982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I was speaking to the local Shell station manager today, and he said the oils such as Helix Ultra are not phased out. They are still produced and can be purchased outside. But Shell stations will not carry them, they will carry only those grade of synthetic oils that have "V Power" mentioned on the cans, and those are not for sale outside.

In short, what Shell stations sell can't be bought outside and what is available outside won't be sold in Shell stations. I don't know how far correct that is.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 21:31   #5983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was speaking to the local Shell station manager today, and he said the oils such as Helix Ultra are not phased out. They are still produced and can be purchased outside. But Shell stations will not carry them, they will carry only those grade of synthetic oils that have "V Power" mentioned on the cans, and those are not for sale outside.

In short, what Shell stations sell can't be bought outside and what is available outside won't be sold in Shell stations. I don't know how far correct that is.
However much the same oil is available online but without the V Power branding

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-API-SN-P...dp/B084STBYJG/ for example
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:30   #5984
BHPian

My Altis is due for an oil change. I am going for the Amsoil Signature series this time, based on the experience of R2D2 sir. So however, the Signature series is in 5-30 and the Shell Helix that I have been using was a 5-40 grade.

Considering the high ambient temperatures in summers (45-50), will the 5-30 grade cause any trouble? Also, what price / store to buy from Amazon?
Old 4th August 2022, 07:37   #5985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
My Altis is due for an oil change. I am going for the Amsoil Signature series this time, based on the experience of R2D2 sir. So however, the Signature series is in 5-30 and the Shell Helix that I have been using was a 5-40 grade.

Considering the high ambient temperatures in summers (45-50), will the 5-30 grade cause any trouble? Also, what price / store to buy from Amazon?
It will not make a significant difference. People happily use 0w20 oils in the Arizona desert with much hotter temperatures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks