Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 23:44   #5911
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I am contemplating Amsoil for my next oil change in my Swift DDIS. What suits the DDIS engine, Signature 5w30 or XL 5w30 ? My odo is 73K.

BTW both are ACEA A5/B5.
Old 15th March 2022, 10:35   #5912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
Amazon is selling it for 3780/gallon right now. You might wanna pick it up, price is decent looking at the trend.
Thanks pta320 I picked up a can. Seller is someone called Mini Shoppee just hope they send me the real thing as it is non-returnable. I have always purchased this oil direct from the distributor i.e. Greaves.

PS - Just realised that I started using Amsoil Signature back in 2017..about 5 years ago not 3 as I assumed earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
I am contemplating Amsoil for my next oil change in my Swift DDIS. What suits the DDIS engine, Signature 5w30 or XL 5w30 ? My odo is 73K. BTW both are ACEA A5/B5.
Signature is more a petrol engine oil than diesel though you could use it with no ill effects assuming of course 5W-30 grade is recommended for the car engine.

My suggestion is this diesel specific one: AMSOIL 5W-30 Signature Series Max Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil Protection

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th March 2022 at 10:38. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:38   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thanks pta320 I picked up a can. Seller is someone called Mini Shoppee just hope they send me the real thing as it is non-returnable. I have always purchased this oil direct from the distributor i.e. Greaves.

Signature is more a petrol engine oil than diesel though you could use it with no ill effects assuming of course 5W-30 grade is recommended for the car engine.

My suggestion is this diesel specific one: AMSOIL 5W-30 Signature Series Max Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil Protection
I also picked my last two cans through Mini shopee for 3600/gallon. The oil is genuine and production date was August 2021.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 21:34   #5914
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a nice video by a channel I subscribe to "Engineering Explained". This vid clears up a few minsconceptions about oils and multi grade engine oils for modern engines.

Posted in the synthetic oils thread as this video was made based on feedback and inputs from Mobil 1 engineers. Do take a look.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 09:15   #5915
BHPian

Hey everyone,

I had a small question, i have a honda city i-vtec, 2017 made. It’s run exactly 30,000kms.

I have 2 questions:

1. I have never used an engine oil flush as the car is serviced by honda A.S.S. I have been kind of convinced by these Youtube videos that one should use ENGINE OIL FLUSH atleast once every 30,000kms to keep everything clean.

What is everyone’s take on this?

2. I intend to use OE suggested 0w-20 Engine oil from idemitsu as i am planning to do my service from a FNG . Any other brand i should try like amsoil? Honda engines are usually very finicky. I remember using castrol oil on my iDSI engine, making it very dull.

Or should I simply go to the A.S.S. For the service?

Your comments will help me keep the car perfect.

Regards,

Mihir
Old 18th May 2022, 09:18   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Your car is regularly serviced and has oil changed on schedule. You don't need a flush, your engine is not a toilet and I never met a YouTuber / Vlogger that talks any kind of sense rather than promote products he is paid to promote.

If you want 0w20 oil for a petrol engine, Shell has an excellent 0w20 these days. Or you can get Amsoil of course if it fits your pocket. Or the Honda 0w20 is excellent, just use that. When you use other brands of oils, you need to check not just 0w20, 5w30 etc, you need to check in your manual what standards in API or ACEA the oil is required to comply with, and buy a brand of oil that suits your budget + complies with that standard.

The ASS - at least in theory, they may skip some of these steps, does a lot more than just change oil and filters. Anyway for a 2017 car that has run just 30k you need to do rather more than just the 3 year 30k km service - a full change of fluids would be good (brake oil, gear oil, coolant etc). Don't opt for any additives or other rubbish that Honda or your FNG hard sells to you, they won't be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
Hey everyone,

I had a small question, i have a honda city i-vtec, 2017 made. It’s run exactly 30,000kms.

I have 2 questions:

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th May 2022 at 11:18. Reason: Post quote trimmed.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:51   #5917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your car is regularly serviced and has oil changed on schedule. You don't need a flush, your engine is not a toilet and I never met a YouTuber / Vlogger that talks any kind of sense rather than promote products he is paid to promote.

If you want 0w20 oil for a petrol engine, Shell has an excellent 0w20 these days. Or you can get Amsoil of course if it fits your pocket. Or the Honda 0w20 is excellent, just use that. When you use other brands of oils, you need to check not just 0w20, 5w30 etc, you need to check in your manual what standards in API or ACEA the oil is required to comply with, and buy a brand of oil that suits your budget + complies with that standard.

The ASS - at least in theory, they may skip some of these steps, does a lot more than just change oil and filters. Anyway for a 2017 car that has run just 30k you need to do rather more than just the 3 year 30k km service - a full change of fluids would be good (brake oil, gear oil, coolant etc). Don't opt for any additives or other rubbish that Honda or your FNG hard sells to you, they won't be needed.

Thanks a lot cleared all my thoughts about the oil flushing.

Yes i have always adhered to ACEA norms when choosing the oil. Just this that A.S.S. Always charge more for an oil change (my car is almost getting out of warranty) . And right now i only need an oil change as per the Manual. Have driven exactly 2500kms since last oil change. But want to follow what honda manual states.

W.R.T. other fluid changes are done as per schedule. Sometimes earlier but never late!

Thanks a ton for you advice.
Old 18th May 2022, 19:59   #5918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just this that A.S.S. Always charge more for an oil change (my car is almost getting out of warranty) . And right now i only need an oil change as per the Manual. Have driven exactly 2500kms since last oil change. But want to follow what honda manual states.
How do you mean charge more? The ASS oil is quite cheap compared to synthetic oil available in the market, in general. Won't be the 100% best quality but quite good enough to do the job.
Old 18th May 2022, 20:15   #5919
BHPian

Quote:
How do you mean charge more? The ASS oil is quite cheap compared to synthetic oil available in the market, in general. Won't be the 100% best quality but quite good enough to do the job.
Well i agree the price of oil is cheaper but when i compare the overall cost of the service. Their labour and things work out expensive.

Also this time i am planning to do the oil change on my own at home. Have all the necessary tools for the same. Incase i take it to the friendly neighbourhood service station they charge only ₹200 for an oil change so there is less mess and in front of you,they drop the oil and do the change. That too on the washing ramp!

Throttle body cleaning i will do it at home. Using a good quality throttle body cleaner.

Planning to order oil from Amazon.

I have done a major service in Jan2021. So all my fluids are good.
Old 18th May 2022, 20:33   #5920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Throttle body cleaning i will do it at home. Using a good quality throttle body cleaner.
This one also is unnecessary
Old 23rd May 2022, 01:07   #5921

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
GS Caltex

You can buy it on Amazon but if you are not able to pm me and I will share the contact details of company folks who will help you source it locally.
Hey! Sorry for bumping into such an old post of yours. I am trying to source a gear oil and I am unable to find it anywhere locally/online. My PMs are disabled for some reason. Can you help me out with the company contact you were talking about above?
Old 23rd May 2022, 04:30   #5922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshbansal View Post
Hey! Sorry for bumping into such an old post of yours. I am trying to source a gear oil and I am unable to find it anywhere locally/online. My PMs are disabled for some reason. Can you help me out with the company contact you were talking about above?
But what kind of gear oil? For machinery or something that you’re unable to find it online?

What is the spec you need? Should be able to source an alternate that way
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:03   #5923

Quote:
But what kind of gear oil? For machinery or something that you’re unable to find it online?

What is the spec you need? Should be able to source an alternate that way
API GL-4 SAE 75W-85, for my MT.

I was looking at Kixx GEARTEC MTF API GL-4 SAE 75W-85 gear oil ((https://www.gscaltexindia.com/produc...-4-sae-75w-85/)) for my elite i20 2014, petrol. Amazon, I could see filled with Mannol oils, which I haven't heard of. RedLine I checked and is not available.

Last edited by utkarshbansal : 23rd May 2022 at 23:14.
Old 24th May 2022, 07:38   #5924
Senior - BHPian

You can just buy 75w90 and you should be fine.

Amazon has Zic in 75w85 GL4 and that's a quite decent brand. And Mannol (overpriced German import but still good) among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshbansal View Post
API GL-4 SAE 75W-85, for my MT.

I was looking at Kixx GEARTEC MTF API GL-4 SAE 75W-85 gear oil .
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 19:52   #5925
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Guys, need help :

Ford or Motorcraft Power ESW-M2C33-F Power steering fluid

Can someone point me to where I can source it from at reasonable price ?
(amazon.in has it priced 3375 for 1 quart (946ml) ).
I am also not sure the quantity I need to buy, for use in Ford 1.4 TDCI old figo as power steering fluid.

I am also seeing the same thing sold by Castrol as Transmax Type F.
In fact, any "Type-F" transmission fluid should suffice, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks