Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 11:32   #6061
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is the oil that Maruti uses or is supposed to use, for petrol vehicles, in their authorised service centres. Engine oil and gearbox oil.
This is what they have filled in my Gypsy these last two years every Feb/ March - I follow the annual service regimen irrespective of the Km’s run.
The Shell Helix 5 pictured is not a fully synthetic oil if I'm not mistaken. I recently got my gear oil changed and they used the same Shell Spirax in 75w90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Switching back to 5w30 or even 0w20 will not be a problem if the engine is in good health.

As yours is a petrol and you are looking for some significant improvement in mileage, try any good brand 0w20 or 5w30 oil. If your car is fully loaded with passengers mostly, do not go down to 0w20.

Please note, all you are looking for is 0.5 to 2% gain in mileage which will not show anything significant in tankful method. It will only show in your annual consumption.

If you use 1000 litres fuel annually, you may use 990 litres this time around for the same distance.
I've never seen the internals of my engine cause it's never been opened, but maintenance has never skimped on, oil changes at correct drain intervals specified and annual service if the kilometers covered isn't 10k. I've always used fully synthetic. So I'd safely assume the engine is healthy(?)

Even if not for a marginal increase in FE numbers, I'd like to know if a w30 oil would give me significant improvement in terms of acceleration and responsiveness of the engine. If not, would sticking to 5w40 be the better choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I haven't seen 5w30 hurt any old or newer petrol engine, least of all the old Maruti F8D. However, the cheaper and older specs of oil are just fine for such vintage engines as well. My father had a 1990s vintage M800 for nearly 20 years and it ran butter smooth on plain old 20w50, and it ran just as smooth when it was 18 years old (but barely 50k km run) and on shell 5w30.
What about critical oil seals giving up and oil leakage issues like Leoshashi mentioned might take place?

Quote:
So going to 5w40 from 5w30 after 80k km seems quite doable.
Would this give out any louder mechanical clatter from the engine?
Would you recommend the switch back to 5w30 or just stick to 5w40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
If i were to stick to the 5w40 grade, I'd like to change from what the ASC uses and explore other oils - Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra or Liqui Moly Molygen all in the 5w40 grade.

Pretty keen on trying Liqui Moly as I've a heard a lot of good things about it!

Would the Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40 (https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Molygen-Generation-Synthetic/dp/B078H8B2YR/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_2/262-9766399-4108650?pd_rd_w=pyIci&content-id=amzn1.sym.fa697102-547e-425b-bc67-26478c036f29&pf_rd_p=fa697102-547e-425b-bc67-26478c036f29&pf_rd_r=24628JHDKF8V3X40A8HB&pd_rd_wg =PZiuO&pd_rd_r=4e844b73-a1c7-4dbf-87f3-9946cd8dbc2e&=B078H8B2YR&psc=1)
Thank you,
Piyush
Also would Liqui Moly engine oil be a good choice? In case I switch back to 5w30 the fluorescent green under a UV light should help detect oil leaks if any I suppose?

In summary would it be better to stick 5w40 or change back to 5w30? I'm okay to not see a better FE number but in a dilemma if the performance benefit from a w30 oil would justify switching back and maybe risking a few new issues?

Again, all inputs and opinions regarding the same would be extremely helpful!

Thank you,
Piyush

Last edited by shandilyapiyush : 27th April 2023 at 11:43.
Old 27th April 2023, 11:57   #6062
Senior - BHPian

Helix HX5 is high grade mineral

You would typically find somewhat more responsiveness and smoothness with a 5w30 synthetic, if only because of a superior additive package

Why do you worry about oil leaks if your engine is serviced regularly? In an old car where the seal or packing fails, any oil leak will be visible to the eye, no need of any UV light

You won't even need a fancy overpriced oil like Liqui Moly with a ton of additives in it. Plain old Castrol Magnatec / Mobil Super 3000 etc will give you a world of difference from what you're currently using.

Quote:
The Shell Helix 5 pictured is not a fully synthetic oil if I'm not mistaken. I recently got my gear oil changed and they used the same Shell Spirax in 75w90.

Even if not for a marginal increase in FE numbers, I'd like to know if a w30 oil would give me significant improvement in terms of acceleration and responsiveness of the engine. If not, would sticking to 5w40 be the better choice?
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 12:39   #6063
BHPian

Quote:
In summary would it be better to stick 5w40 or change back to 5w30? I'm okay to not see a better FE number but in a dilemma if the performance benefit from a w30 oil would justify switching back and maybe risking a few new issues?

Again, all inputs and opinions regarding the same would be extremely helpful!

Thank you,
Piyush
There will be no performance upgrade if you are using a good 5w40 oil.
With thinner oils, you will have slightly higher engine noise, slightly more FE, slightly more peppiness during cold starts and that's it.

Try 5w40 FS oil from Mobil or Total and see if things improve. We have to experience it ourselves as different cars and different drivers make the oil behave differently.

If you want significant performance benefits, play with fuel additives, air filter and spark plugs.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:39   #6064
Senior - BHPian

On another topic,

https://www.autocarpro.in/news/brake...d-revia-114848

They have a 15w40 CK4 for instance besides 5w30 / 5w40 / 20w50 grades.

Quote:
Advanced additives in Revia engine oil like HyperZDP technology for passenger cars and turbo boosters for commercial vehicles, boosts engine longevity and performance.
HyperZDP is from Lubrizol, a world leader in additives. A somewhat older additive package (and probably ZDDP zinc dialkyldithiophosphate, from the name) but it should be quite robust given its pedigree.

Found this ppt about HyperZDP online

https://www.scribd.com/document/1228...tem-Powerpoint
Old 27th April 2023, 17:17   #6065
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the API-CK4 specification meant for BS6 diesels? Castrol CRB Turbomax is available in API CI4+ and API CK4 variants with the latter available only in 10L can and bit more expensive per litre compared to the CPI CI4+ variant. My i20 oil change is due in another 1.5k kms and was wondering if I should stick to CI4+ or try CK4. The engine oil spec specified by manufacturer is CH4. SO the CI4+ is already an over-specced oil. Wondering if CK4 would be an overkill with no noticeable difference in performance
Old 27th April 2023, 17:29   #6066
Senior - BHPian

CK4 is fully backwards compatible with older specs like CH4 / CI4 etc, no worries.

For any engine use what specific grade of oil your manufacturer tells you to use, if that is CH4 then you can freely use CK4

For CI4+ try Mobil Delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4

Older spec but excellent mineral oils. If you want synthetic CK4 there’s Amsoil 5w40 Turbo Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the API-CK4 specification meant for BS6 diesels? Castrol CRB Turbomax is available in API CI4+ and API CK4 variants with the latter available only in 10L can and bit more expensive per litre compared to the CPI CI4+ variant. My i20 oil change is due in another 1.5k kms and was wondering if I should stick to CI4+ or try CK4. The engine oil spec specified by manufacturer is CH4. SO the CI4+ is already an over-specced oil. Wondering if CK4 would be an overkill with no noticeable difference in performance
Old 28th April 2023, 21:21   #6067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My i20 oil change is due in another 1.5k kms and was wondering if I should stick to CI4+ or try CK4. The engine oil spec specified by manufacturer is CH4
Although latest spec is backward compatible, but my experience says that it is better to use the specified grade. Theoretically, the more advanced the spec, the better base oil it will demand, however, there is also a possibility that we get lesser oil% and more additive% in the recent spec. These additives could be dispersants that allow extended drain intervals but do nothing for lubrication.

I used CI4 and CI4+ oils from reputed brands in my 2010 Safari Dicor, but the best smoothness I got in the vehicle was from CH4 grade oils from Mobil and Servo (the the best, totally unexpected but true). A roughly 250/litre oil beating 500/liter advanced oil was unexpected for me at least.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_22242.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 21:47   #6068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used CI4 and CI4+ oils from reputed brands in my 2010 Safari Dicor, but the best smoothness I got in the vehicle was from CH4 grade oils from Mobil and Servo (the the best, totally unexpected but true). A roughly 250/litre oil beating 500/liter advanced oil was unexpected for me at least.
Servo has quite good oils - including their Futura 5w30 a5b5, hidden gem.

Also BP Mak and HP Milcy. Well above average quality.

Check these out

https://www.hplubricants.in/products...lcy-turbo-gen6 - CK4 / ACEA E9 mineral

https://www.hplubricants.in/products...-neosynth-gen6 - API SN+ and ACEA C2 (so suitable for both petrol and diesel)
Old 28th April 2023, 22:12   #6069
BHPian

Quote:
Servo has quite good oils - including their Futura 5w30 a5b5, hidden gem.

Also BP Mak and HP Milcy. Well above average quality.
I do not have a heart to try an FS oil in the Safari as the sump is 7.5 Liters. I did try HP MILCY CI4+ oil, but it was not as good as Mobil TM Genuine CH4 or Servo Pride CH4 shown above.

Tomorrow, will be taking both my cars for oil service, Safari Dicor gets the remaining 7.5 litres from the above can and Ciaz Petrol gets the Mobil 3000 X1 FS oil.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_2023_0428_220450.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20230426_210645.jpg  

Old 28th April 2023, 22:33   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not have a heart to try an FS oil in the Safari as the sump is 7.5 Liters. I did try HP MILCY CI4+ oil, but it was not as good as Mobil TM Genuine CH4 or Servo Pride CH4 shown above.

Tomorrow, will be taking both my cars for oil service, Safari Dicor gets the remaining 7.5 litres from the above can and Ciaz Petrol gets the Mobil 3000 X1 FS oil.
In future, try getting hold of the green bottle Maximile FEO (Mahindra OEM oil). Semi synthetic 5w30 and it is excellent for just about every CRDI SUV engine.

Quite reasonably priced and easily available.
Old 28th April 2023, 22:36   #6071
BHPian

Quote:
In future, try getting hold of the green bottle Maximile FEO (Mahindra OEM oil). Semi synthetic 5w30 and it is excellent for just about every CRDI SUV engine.

Quite reasonably priced and easily available.
I never thought that my car can gulp 5w30. It was not mentioned on the manual and more recent Dicor engine cars like Safari Storme also prescribes 15w40 (with 15 k interval). Do you think a 5w30 will fly?
Old 29th April 2023, 00:01   #6072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never thought that my car can gulp 5w30. It was not mentioned on the manual and more recent Dicor engine cars like Safari Storme also prescribes 15w40 (with 15 k interval). Do you think a 5w30 will fly?
Any light crdi diesel won’t be hurt by a 5w30 or 5w40 a3b4 / a5b5 / c2 / c3 oil. Besides your safari’s varicor and dicor, as well as the Mahindra Mhawk, are close cousins, developed by AVL Austria.

Besides consider that the Endeavour and Fortuner use 5w30 a5b5 but the manual at least for Endy also says 15w40 is fine.

I looked up the Ford Transit Connect on the Amsoil US website (it uses the same 3.2 diesel) and saw this.

This is interesting. I am on the amsoil US website and for the ford transit connect (which has a 3.2 litre duratorq diesel engine like our endy) I get this reco for engine oil

Viscosity 0W-30, 0W-40 (All TEMPS) - For the use of biodiesel fuel (B6 - B20) use SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4.
5W-30, 5W-40 (Above -29) - For the use of biodiesel fuel (B6 - B20) use SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4.

So for our hot weather we can certainly use 5w30. But for biodiesel fuel - which a lot of India will soon start seeing - they are saying go to a diesel specific engine oil (CJ4).

So .. there are synthetic as well as mineral CK4 in the market in good amounts now including from the sarkari oil majors. Should be worth filling in the Endy (or any other large diesel such as fortuner) especially if fuel quality is adulterated, either officially by govt with "bio diesel" or unofficially by our various petrol pump owners
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 08:59   #6073
BHPian

I've been using Amsoil Turbo Truck 5w40 from last 4 oil fills in my 2014 Safari Storme run 57K Kms. However, the truck's running has decreased considerably to around ~5K kms annually.

The truck is used mainly in Bangalore city and occasional highway runs (150-200 kms).

Would it be okay to switch back to good quality mineral 15W40? In addition to the saved cost (7.5 Litres), i am feeling that Amsoil is being wasted since it not getting utilised to its true potential.

What are the possible downsides to going back to mineral? I am expecting it to be less smooth and FE to go down a little. Other than that any major issues i can encounter? I plan to keep the Storme till EoL.
Old 29th April 2023, 09:11   #6074
Senior - BHPian

Your Storme will do just fine on 15w40 mineral, or on some synthetic or semi synthetic 5w30 or 5w40. Not much downside.

I used to use Amsoil a lot but then my running is like 30k a year. For 4-5k km a year short runs, Amsoil is way overkill.

Try Maximile FEO as I said, if you have a Mahindra parts dealer near you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I've been using Amsoil Turbo Truck 5w40 from last 4 oil fills in my 2014 Safari Storme run 57K Kms. However, the truck's running has decreased considerably to around ~5K kms annually.

Would it be okay to switch back to good quality mineral 15W40? In addition to the saved cost (7.5 Litres), i am feeling that Amsoil is being wasted since it not getting utilised to its true potential.
Old 7th June 2023, 16:11   #6075
BHPian

Hello members,
I have been getting my 2017 Baleno RS 1.0 serviced regularly by Nexa. In all the services they have used MGO 5W-30 (shell) engine oil. Few people outside Tbhp have said Amsoil signature series is fantastic and it’s worth trying. The one I currently have is also Fully synthetic oil as well. Will there be such a huge difference or is it better to stick on to MGO oil/ Shell 5W-30. Also, Amsoil is more expensive than shell by ₹1300.
Also, does it make sense to have fully synthetic oil as my yearly usage is max 9000KM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks