Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 12:49   #5311
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

For your level of usage HX7 is more than enough. Don't bother with engine flushes please.

Not unless you have some sort of pre abused vehicle with unknown history of oil changes, or one that has been running on mineral for a long time and you want to try synthetic etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I got three one lire packs of Helix Ultra from them @ Rs 750.00 each for the car and another litre @ Rs 600.00 for the bike. These will be used during the oil change next month. I bought them out of curiosity, to see if it really makes a difference. I was reluctant to buy @ Rs 1250 a litre earlier, because of my low car usage and an annual oil change must be done anyway, even if it is synthetic oil.

I don't intend to use any engine flush. The car has 32k km on the odo. And if no appreciable difference is felt, will go back to Shell Helix Hx 7 from the subsequent oil change, but will henceforth source it from the VMS people.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 14:16   #5312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For your level of usage HX7 is more than enough. Don't bother with engine flushes please.

Not unless you have some sort of pre abused vehicle with unknown history of oil changes, or one that has been running on mineral for a long time and you want to try synthetic etc.
Thanks! Car was bought new, is 10 years old now, ran on HX5 for the first couple of years, thereafter on Hx7. The odo reads 32357 km now. An annual service with oil/filter change was done every July (with coolant and gear oil changes every alternate year). So I consider an engine flush unnecessary. Hx7 and Helix Ultra are both API SN I think.

I have to drive to Trichy shortly after the service/oil change, let us see how it feels!
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:45   #5313
BHPian

I am looking to for 0W20 fully synthetic oil for my Baleno petrol. Wanted to check if any fellow members have any suggestions. My shortlists are :

1. Idemitsu 0w20
2. Castrol Magnatec 0w20

Both are priced close to 2K. I have been trying to get fully synthetic oil from Nexa and Maruti folks but they aren't interested.

Request fellow team members to suggest. My car is used only in weekends (2017 model, Run 166000), though it's a low run car I still want to treat her with the best engine oil.

Please help, also if I go to the retail stores will the price come further down ?
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:11   #5314
Senior - BHPian

They are both very good oils for the price. The Idemitsu one is OEM for Honda, Toyota etc.

Maruti should be able to sell you Shell Helix HX8 0w20 which is an MGO https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-HX...omotive&sr=1-1

Surely you mean 16,600 not 1 lakh 66 thousand km run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I am looking to for 0W20 fully synthetic oil for my Baleno petrol. Wanted to check if any fellow members have any suggestions. My shortlists are :

1. Idemitsu 0w20
2. Castrol Magnatec 0w20

Both are priced close to 2K. I have been trying to get fully synthetic oil from Nexa and Maruti folks but they aren't interested.

Request fellow team members to suggest. My car is used only in weekends (2017 model, Run 166000), though it's a low run car I still want to treat her with the best engine oil.

Please help, also if I go to the retail stores will the price come further down ?
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:18   #5315
BHPian

Quote:
They are both very good oils for the price. The Idemitsu one is OEM for Honda, Toyota etc.

Maruti should be able to sell you Shell Helix HX8 0w20 which is an MGO https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-HX...omotive&sr=1-1

Surely you mean 16,600 not 1 lakh 66 thousand km run?
Thank you for the quick response Sir. I stand corrected, the car has done 16600 KM.

My ordeal with Maruti is going on since a year. Have been insisting them which has been penned in this thread (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki).
They are not willing to stock or order fully synthetic oil. Have tried two Nexas and three Maruti authorised service centres but in vain.
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:33   #5316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response Sir. I stand corrected, the car has done 16600 KM.

My ordeal with Maruti is going on since a year. Have been insisting them which has been penned in this thread (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki).
They are not willing to stock or order fully synthetic oil. Have tried two Nexas and three Maruti authorised service centres but in vain.
The 0w20 they stock in drums is definitely not a mineral oil. It is a good grade of semi synthetic. Do you face any performance issues with it, if so go for the Shell HX8 0w20 I mentioned. As your car still seems to be within warranty and this is an MGO that'd be your best option if you really don't want the dealership oil.
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:43   #5317
BHPian

Quote:
The 0w20 they stock in drums is definitely not a mineral oil. It is a good grade of semi synthetic. Do you face any performance issues with it, if so go for the Shell HX8 0w20 I mentioned. As your car still seems to be within warranty and this is an MGO that'd be your best option if you really don't want the dealership oil.
The product code says it's a mineral oil. I don't have any issues in terms of performance but i looking for a smoother engine performance and longer engine life.
The plan is to buy the oil and get it changed outside.
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:00   #5318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The product code says it's a mineral oil. I don't have any issues in terms of performance but i looking for a smoother engine performance and longer engine life.
They are decent grades of 0w20 as far as I can see. Some good brands there too (Total Quartz, Idemitsu, Shell HX8 ..). You should be able to buy any of those 0w20s off the open market if you don't like the IOC or Servo ones.

If you compare say the IOC Servo one to the Idemitsu one - Idemitsu is much nicer in spec.

http://www.servojaipur.com/pics/down...SL%200W-20.pdf
https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/i...gine-oil/0w-20

Especially as it is available as an MGO just go for it.
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:56   #5319
BHPian

Quote:

1. Idemitsu 0w20
2. Castrol Magnatec 0w20

Why don’t you use the Amsoil 0w20 XL series? I’m using it in my Honda City and it’s fab. Give it a go. I can help procure it for you.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 09:46   #5320
BHPian

Quote:
Go for a fully synthetic engine oil. But Do not use an engine flush. Given the fact that your car has travelled over a lakh kms.

For the smoothness alone, I would recommend fully synthetic oil changed after 6-7k kms or in your case after 8 months. Reason being, though the oil may have life, post 50% of it's life span, the oil slowly starts making the enginr growl.

Alternatively, use the semi synthetic engine oil and have it changed at every 4-5k kms or 6-8months if you do not drive much. I am planning on doing this for my elantra 2005 petrol which has covered 82000kms.

Using mineral oil will have negligible difference in the engine sound. On my Chevrolet beat diesel, even the synthetic oil didn't do much when it came to engine smoothness. Maybe it did but it wasn't too noticeable and at this point my clutch replacement was carried out so can't say for sure.

Note- this is from my personal experience.
Old 12th July 2019, 09:51   #5321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
Go for a fully synthetic engine oil. But Do not use an engine flush. Given the fact that your car has travelled over a lakh kms.

For the smoothness alone, I would recommend fully synthetic oil changed after 6-7k kms or in your case after 8 months. Reason being, though the oil may have life, post 50% of it's life span, the oil slowly starts making the enginr growl.
A sheer waste of good oil Just use the car regularly and take it out onto the highway once in a while and it should be just fine to use to the regular drain interval, if not longer.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 18:14   #5322
BHPian

Hi all! Recently I got my friends BMW 530D up and running on the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W40 code AFLQT. But in the process received the wrong oil in the first shipment. Ended up receiving 8 gallon jars of the EFM1G European Car Formula & a Engine & Transmission Flush when we had asked for 8 quarts!

When we finally changed the oil, one quart of the AFLQT wasn't needed. I have posted a classified about the same. If anyone needs the gallon jars/flush or the 1 quart pls inbox me. I'll be more than happy to ship it to you, for extra. Pls don't delete this post mods.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:58   #5323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try synthetic oil once, and if it feels good stay with it. Else go back to whatever oil you were using.

I changed over to Helix Ultra recently, and as yet do not feel any big difference compared to HX7 used earlier. May be after a couple of thousand km I can tell for sure.

Last edited by Gansan : 13th July 2019 at 12:05.
Old 14th July 2019, 13:47   #5324
BHPian

Forgot to share my recent long drive experience running Amsoil Signature Series, Cetane Boost, Coolant Boost etc. Drove to Surendranagar, Gujarat & back. Was a rained out drive with heavy to intermittent rain all through. And such an incredible, incredible tarmac through & through. With the fresh set of Turanzas, it was all easy peasy. But with this oil I observed few things:

1: The engine revved more freely as compared to before.
2: Butter smooth & lower engine clatter.
3: Zippier in gear acceleration, more so when I down shifted.
4: Kept speeds of 80 while on the highway and 100 on the expressway. She returned 19.5 kpl which also included 5-10% City driving. Ac on all the time. Not bad!

More in the additives thread.
Old 16th July 2019, 23:16   #5325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Thanks for sharing! Couldn't get in touch with the contact given.

Ended up buying Mobil1esp 5w30; bought 9 litres (4+4+1) of oil as 1.6 MJD needs 5.2 litres. Balance shall be used in ANHC.

Got it for 900/ ltr, import date is one year old and country of origin is France; shall be getting the oil changed at Nexa service in the next week. Let's see how it works out for both the cars.
Feedback of Mobil1 esp 5w30 in both cars:

Honda City 2011 Petrol:
Car has been driven around 1000 km after oil replacement. Engine has become super silent now. Nothing else has changed much IMO.

S Cross 1.6 Diesel:
Driven around 2700 km including 02 highway trips of 800 km & 600 km respectively. The engine response/ pull is more pronounced. Fuel efficiency has improved by atleast 10% with same driving conditions.

Last edited by breezydrive : 16th July 2019 at 23:27.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed