Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:59   #5341
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
My Amaze Petrol AT has reached 45k km. Wanted to pick up a good synthetic oil for it. Could someone help me with the grade and brand.
Cheers
In how many years? Check for ATF replacement as well (automatic transmission fluid).

I believe Honda changed their recommendation a few years back to use a 0w20 or 0w40 low viscosity oil but before that, were recommending 5w40 A3/B4 for the Amaze. At least my 2014 petrol Amaze (now sold) had an original reco for 5w40. If that is the case for your car, Shell Helix Ultra should work just fine.

What does your manual say for each of the recommended fluids (transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil)?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 14:43   #5342
BHPian

It's a Dec 2014 model. Planning to get the ATF as well as coolant changed as the manual suggests we get it changed after 4 years or 60k kms. Haven't read anything about the brake oil, etc.
The last service was at 35k kms.
Thank you
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:44   #5343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a Dec 2014 model. Planning to get the ATF as well as coolant changed as the manual suggests we get it changed after 4 years or 60k kms. Haven't read anything about the brake oil, etc.
The last service was at 35k kms.
Thank you
Change the lot. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 works just fine but the Honda oil is quite good too for your levels of use. So you can just take it to the dealership and have them drain and replace everything.
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:49   #5344
BHPian

Will mostly get it done at our FNG. I'm planning to buy all the parts myself. Just wanted to know if I should go for Liqui Moly or Mobil 1 since the car is a daily driver and does see the Highway once in a while.
Old 2nd September 2019, 17:37   #5345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will mostly get it done at our FNG. I'm planning to buy all the parts myself. Just wanted to know if I should go for Liqui Moly or Mobil 1 since the car is a daily driver and does see the Highway once in a while.
Get whatever you want in 5w40 acea a3/b4

Shell is an excellent oil
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 12:41   #5346
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is the Castrol MAGNATEC SUV 5W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil for Petrol, CNG and Diesel SUVs (5L), same as the normal Castrol Full Synthetic Engine Oil?

This is for a Polo 1.6. The grade and brand is as recommended, but the SUV Suffix is confusing me. Can I use this oil? The oil box doesnt name VW at all, hence more confusion.

Link to the product below
https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-MAGNAT...e%2C272&sr=1-2
Old 5th September 2019, 15:29   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
This is for a Polo 1.6. The grade and brand is as recommended, but the SUV Suffix is confusing me. Can I use this oil? The oil box doesnt name VW at all, hence more confusion.
Recent VW cars need VW 504.00 / 507.00 (petrol / diesel specs) and the only one on the Indian market that fits this spec is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-5W-30-Fu...dp/B00SFNNTSE/

For older 502 / 505 specs there are plenty on the market, the best of the lot is Amsoil 5w40 European Car Formula
https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Europea...dp/B01DETS2WQ/

When Amsoil brings their 5w30 European Car Formula into the market here (its there in the USA) it will be a better choice than that Mobil 1 above.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 13:00   #5348
Distinguished - BHPian

Switching from Synthetic to Mineral/Semi synth

Our i20 diesel is running on Delvac 1 for the past 8 Years / 1 Lakh kms. Each year , it saw a running of around 15K. From next year, the running will drastically reduce to around 5K an year. Since the running will be less, it does not justify paying premium for the synthetic. Hence want to know if i can shift to a good quality mineral/semi synth ? Will the shift to mineral cause any damage or wear and tear to the engine? Experts please guide me on this.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:00   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Re: Switching from Synthetic to Mineral/Semi synth

It won’t hurt. Switch to Mobil Delvac MX, Shell Rimula R4 etc high quality mineral oils and it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Our i20 diesel is running on Delvac 1 for the past 8 Years / 1 Lakh kms. Each year , it saw a running of around 15K. From next year, the running will drastically reduce to around 5K an year. Since the running will be less, it does not justify paying premium for the synthetic. Hence want to know if i can shift to a good quality mineral/semi synth ? Will the shift to mineral cause any damage or wear and tear to the engine? Experts please guide me on this.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 10:50   #5350
BHPian

I am planning to change over to synthetic oil in my endeavour 3.2 on the second service currently its running on oem ford mobil 10w30.
Please advice which synthetic oil should i opt for?

Cheers
Mayank
Old 21st September 2019, 18:22   #5351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I am planning to change over to synthetic oil in my endeavour 3.2 on the second service currently its running on oem ford mobil 10w30.
Please advice which synthetic oil should i opt for?

Cheers
Mayank
Ford doesn’t use 10w30 at all they use 5w30

Are you quite sure?

In any case as you’re just on the second service and within the warranty period don’t get your own oils, use the dealer supplied oil and change a bit earlier if you feel it necessary.

Last edited by hserus : 21st September 2019 at 18:24.
Old 21st September 2019, 22:56   #5352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ford doesn’t use 10w30 at all they use 5w30

Are you quite sure?

In any case as you’re just on the second service and within the warranty period don’t get your own oils, use the dealer supplied oil and change a bit earlier if you feel it necessary.
Sorry my mistake they do use 5w30 , but in our conditions 5w30 makes no sense i feel. Warranty isnt an issue , i just need to know which one can i use? Please advise
Old 21st September 2019, 22:58   #5353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry my mistake they do use 5w30 , but in our conditions 5w30 makes no sense i feel. Warranty isnt an issue , i just need to know which one can i use? Please advise
As I said in my previous post - In any case as you’re just on the second service and within the warranty period don’t get your own oils, use the dealer supplied oil and change a bit earlier if you feel it necessary.

Don't worry about the 5w30 - it works just fine for light diesels.

If you've got a ton of money to spend try the Amsoil 5w30 Diesel Oil https://www.amazon.in/Signature-Synt.../dp/B07NPCJ587
Old 21st September 2019, 23:07   #5354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
As I said in my previous post - In any case as you’re just on the second service and within the warranty period don’t get your own oils, use the dealer supplied oil and change a bit earlier if you feel it necessary.

Don't worry about the 5w30 - it works just fine for light diesels.

If you've got a ton of money to spend try the Amsoil 5w30 Diesel Oil https://www.amazon.in/Signature-Synt.../dp/B07NPCJ587
Sir i dont doubt what you are saying but ford uses a drum of mobil 5w30 across its range of petrol diesels and what nots i saw it first hand and it astounded me.! I use amsoil 5w40 in my scorpio used mobil delvac in my tata safari not the delvac 1 but i feel 5w30 in a 3.2 litre engine isnt right here i may be wrong.would switching to delvac 1 be wrong on my part ? Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 23:23   #5355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir i dont doubt what you are saying but ford uses a drum of mobil 5w30 across its range of petrol diesels and what nots i saw it first hand and it astounded me.! I use amsoil 5w40 in my scorpio used mobil delvac in my tata safari not the delvac 1 but i feel 5w30 in a 3.2 litre engine isnt right here i may be wrong.would switching to delvac 1 be wrong on my part ? Thanks
Ford specified it after a great deal of testing and customization - so only Mobil and Shell seem to make it in India, and of those only the Mobil one is available on the open market.

Those diesel oils are for trucks. Sure you can use them in an Endy, but the Ford spec oil won't hurt your engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks