Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2019, 09:09   #5371
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Bought Mobil-1 Synthetic Oil (5W-40)for my Honda Amaze Petrol. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 27th October 2019, 15:04   #5372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Bought Mobil-1 Synthetic Oil (5W-40)for my Honda Amaze Petrol. Can't wait to see the results.
Can you share the pic of the can, I don't know of any 5W40 oils in Mobil1 series. Have you bought Mobil Super 3000 instead?
Old 27th October 2019, 16:38   #5373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Can you share the pic of the can, I don't know of any 5W40 oils in Mobil1 series. Have you bought Mobil Super 3000 instead?
There is a Mobil 1 in 5w40 unfortunately it is Mobil 1 Delvac. Excellent for diesel cars but this guy has a petrol vehicle ..
Old 27th October 2019, 17:17   #5374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There is a Mobil 1 in 5w40 unfortunately it is Mobil 1 Delvac. Excellent for diesel cars but this guy has a petrol vehicle ..
Found it, It's Mobil1 FSX2 5W40. Seems like a new product in market.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20191027171631_amazon-shopping.jpg  

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 27th October 2019 at 17:23.
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 17:49   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Please dont use an engine flush. It is not needed especially if you change oil at recommended intervals.
Alright. I was under the impression, based on internet searching, that engine flush is recommended if you're changing your brand/type of engine oil.

Quote:
Shell HX8 5w30
Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w30
Even I had Shell HX8 in my mind. Will probably get that only.. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 27th October 2019, 18:16   #5376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Alright. I was under the impression, based on internet searching, that engine flush is recommended if you're changing your brand/type of engine oil.

Even I had Shell HX8 in my mind. Will probably get that only.. Thanks for the recommendation.
Unless your engine oil sump is full of sludge etc (like the dipstick comes out with sludge or soot particles sticking to it) you won't need a flush. Just drain all the old oil (leave the car to drain for a bit longer if needed), and pour in a good engine oil, take it out onto the highway.

I am using HX8 in my wife's i10 automatic, and the performance is quite acceptable for the use it is put to (local runabout for kids school drops etc).

Last edited by hserus : 27th October 2019 at 18:37.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 21:27   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
It's a new one. And it clearly states its for Gasoline and Diesel. I don't buy stuff blindly.

Clearly states Gasoline on the website.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20191028213408.png

Last edited by aah78 : 28th October 2019 at 22:15. Reason: Posts merged. Picture inserted in-line.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 06:41   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a new one. And it clearly states its for Gasoline and Diesel. I don't buy stuff blindly.

Clearly states Gasoline on the website
So a synthetic a3/b4 5w40 under Rs 2000.

On much the same lines as Shell Helix Ultra.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:16   #5379
BANNED

One doubt:

When I buy fully synthetic engine oils from MASS, they charge about Rs.1100 per liter and in Amazon.in the same brands costs very less for 3.1L cans. Why?

Will it be cheaper in MASS since they procure it in bulk?
Old 29th October 2019, 12:24   #5380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a new one. And it clearly states its for Gasoline and Diesel. I don't buy stuff blindly. Clearly states Gasoline on the website.
Instead of buying this tier 2 Mobil product (Mobil1 is tier 1, note the difference in price) why don't you try Shell Helix Ultra? But I hasten to add that your car probably uses xW-30 or even xW-20. Please check the manual if xW-40 can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Bro, flush is used when the engine has a lot of sludge. It is clearly visible under the valve cover. Flush is not the panacea it is made out to be. For e.g using a flush on high mileage old engines can cause issues with engine noise plus the risk of loose sludge blocking oil channels in the engine.

High amounts of sludge is normally caused by irregular oil changes, extended change intervals, combustion issues, engine wear and tear issues among other things.

While some sludge is to be expected, it is the normal by product of combustion, a normal oil change, using even good quality mineral oil, done at regular recommended intervals is ALL you need to keep the engine clean.

As for using a flush before changing from mineral to synth and vice versa is pure bunkum. In fact synthetics are more efficient than mineral oils in cleaning up sludge. If you MUST do a "flush", pour in mid grade mineral oil (for e.g. Shell Helix HX5) run the car for a few 100 kms and then drain and replace with synthetic.

TBH, leave well enough alone, just change the oil and filter with good quality parts.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th October 2019 at 12:27.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:56   #5381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of buying this tier 2 Mobil product (Mobil1 is tier 1)
Mobil1 FSX2 5W40 is a full synthetic oil, just like Mobil1 0W40. The price makes it looks inferior to 0W40 but it is not. Spec wise they are a match to each other in TBN, SAPS and P. In HTHS, noack and flash point FSX2 is superior to 0W40 but only marginal and pointing it out for the sake of it. 0W40 is superior to FSX2 5W40 only in kinematic viscosity at 40degC and MRV yield stress at -40degC, but that is expected since the latter is a 5W40 oil.

I bought three cans of FSX2 5W40 in July this year, at that time Mobil India didn't even have any details of FSX2 on their website, now they do.

If you said tier 1 to mean full synthetic (group 4 and 5) base stock then yes Mobil1 is a tier 1 oil, so is Motul 8100 and Amsoil. Shell Helix Ultra is a good oil but doesn't use a synthetic base stock like some other oils sold as full synthetics.

Last edited by Sankar : 29th October 2019 at 13:07.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 13:26   #5382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If you said tier 1 to mean full synthetic (group 4 and 5) base stock then yes Mobil1 is a tier 1 oil, so is Motul 8100 and Amsoil. Shell Helix Ultra is a good oil but doesn't use a synthetic base stock like some other oils sold as full synthetics.
Yes, that what I meant G4 and G5, because the label "fully synthetic" has different interpretations depending on it is an EU or US manufacturer post the Castrol vs Mobil Corp case.

I have used 3 synthetics, Shell Helix Ultra (extensively, and this one is synthesized from gas for 'purer' molecules), Mobil1 20W-50, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Amsoil Signature 5W-30 in various vehicles over the decades. I prefer Amsoil Signature 5W-30 over the others. Want to try Motul Xcess 8100 some day.

PS - wanted to ask, if FS2 and Mobil1 are the same in terms of SAPS, TBN, flash point etc what is the product differentiator other than price?

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th October 2019 at 13:35. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 14:24   #5383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS - wanted to ask, if FS2 and Mobil1 are the same in terms of SAPS, TBN, flash point etc what is the product differentiator other than price?
If you go by the price to determine whether an oil is synthetic or not then even Amsoil, which makes only true group 4 synthetic motor oil, cannot be considered as synthetic because the pricing is too good.

When you call them FS2 and Mobil1, its incorrect, they belong in the same product group Mobil1. The name of grey bottle lower priced product is Mobil1 FS X2 5W40 and golden bottle higher priced product is Mobil1 FS 0W40. FS stands for full synthetic.

Mobil1 FS 0W40, Mobil1 FSX2 5W40, Mobil Delvac1 5W40 are all manufactured in France and comes through Singapore. FSX2 says Made in Singapore made but its actually France (not all Mobil1 products are Euro made though some are made in USA the land where Group 3 can be called full synthetic). All Motul 8100 series are also made and bottled in France.

Now that the prices of synthetics have come down I like to try all properly priced true synthetics from reputed manufacturers (Mobil, Motul, Amsoil). I like Shell Helix Ultra knowing its a GTL group 3, but don't use it now because prices of other group 4 synthetics are now matching SHU.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:09   #5384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If you go by the price to determine whether an oil is synthetic or not then even Amsoil, which makes only true group 4 synthetic motor oil, cannot be considered as synthetic because the pricing is too good.

When you call them FS2 and Mobil1, its incorrect, they belong in the same product group Mobil1. The name of grey bottle lower priced product is Mobil1 FS X2 5W40 and golden bottle higher priced product is Mobil1 FS 0W40. FS stands for full synthetic.

Mobil1 FS 0W40, Mobil1 FSX2 5W40, Mobil Delvac1 5W40 are all manufactured in France and comes through Singapore. FSX2 says Made in Singapore made but its actually France (not all Mobil1 products are Euro made though some are made in USA the land where Group 3 can be called full synthetic). All Motul 8100 series are also made and bottled in France.

Now that the prices of synthetics have come down I like to try all properly priced true synthetics from reputed manufacturers (Mobil, Motul, Amsoil). I like Shell Helix Ultra knowing its a GTL group 3, but don't use it now because prices of other group 4 synthetics are now matching SHU.
I am not going by price alone but by what has been used in my cars and and my friends' vehicles as well. I don't experiment with engine oils frequently, once I like a product I stick to it as I did with SHU till 2018 regardless of whether it was G3, G4 or G5. Once Amsoil Signature, a product I used in the US in the early 2Ks, was released here I grabbed it.

Obviously Mobil1 with the "FS X2" nomenclature is a new introduction to India. Never heard of it before. Looks like the old Mobil1 has been superseded overseas but still produced and sold in India along with the venerable 5W-30 both with API SN and CF obviously targeted more at petrols and which makes them a less than optimal choice for today's high power diesels.

Here's a PDF product guide to Mobil's vast current product range for petrol and diesel engines, Anyway, the main difference other than viscosity (and possibly price) is the differences in level of zinc and phosphorus and lastly manufacturer approvals.

A bit difficult to understand the product differentiation here given Mobil's vague marketing speak so it's better to consult this guide for clarity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf (122.8 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th October 2019 at 17:31. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:55   #5385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not going by price alone but by what has been used in my cars and and my friends' vehicles as well. I don't experiment with engine oils frequently, once I like a product I stick to it as I did with SHU till 2018 regardless of whether it was G3, G4 or G5.
Oil formulations can change and have changed without notice, so I always refresh before buying again even if its the same thing. For eg: Mobil1 0W40 is better now (spec wise) than it was a couple of years ago. Liquimoly Molygen was a synthetic oil previously, now the Liquimoly Molygen new generation is a semisynth but still the prices are high.

Of all synthetics I like Motul 8100 because my good experience with it in my highly tuned Crysta. They are closely associated with TRD. Still I watch the specs for any change and I try other oils otherwise I wouldn't know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks