Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 10:30   #1816
BHPian

I don't know whether this would be the right place to ask. But can someone tell me, is 5W40 grade good for a petrol Swift? I have read that its the right variant but would it do good for high revs.

Thanks !

Last edited by Mushroomz : 4th August 2009 at 10:39. Reason: More info added
Old 4th August 2009, 11:00   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
there was a company called Tata Bp which used to sell semi synthetic engine oil with the grade 15W40 in the mid 90's
Tata BP was merged with castrol India. BP now owns the co
Old 4th August 2009, 11:40   #1818
BANNED

@Mushroomz: I have posted this many times in the past but with over 120 pages you cannot be really expected to search.

Let us look at your problem. There are two parts of it - the grade and the viscosity.
5W40 is bound to be a synthetic so you are mroe than Ok. As per modern API ratings there are only three valid grades for Petrol Engines - API - SJ (obsolescent), SL and SM. API-SF and SG being marketed by the oil PSUs are all sub-SJ at best. SL covers mineral oils, while SM is semi- and full synthetics. I have seen a Mineral also conforming to SM. So any decent oil you buy will do.

As for viscosity it is rated as mWn. mW is the viscosity of the cold oil. W stands for Winter Grade. The lower the number the faster will the oil circulate. n is the viscosity when hot and is the crux, SAE40 should do for you nicely. m should be equal (or lower) than the specified figure. n should be equal or higher than the specification. API-S? should be equal or superior to the specifications.

You should be Ok on all counts.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:09   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

which is the best mineral oil that is suggested after the use of synthetic oil.
Any inputs on this query experts? I would also extend this query to include the best gear oils (mineral)..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As per modern API ratings there are only three valid grades for Petrol Engines - API - SJ (obsolescent), SL and SM. API-SF and SG being marketed by the oil PSUs are all sub-SJ at best. SL covers mineral oils, while SM is semi- and full synthetics.

As for viscosity it is rated as mWn. mW is the viscosity of the cold oil. W stands for Winter Grade. The lower the number the faster will the oil circulate. n is the viscosity when hot and is the crux, SAE40 should do for you nicely.

m should be equal (or lower) than the specified figure. n should be equal or higher than the specification. API-S? should be equal or superior to the specifications.
Very informative post sir. Good reference for any layman..

Last edited by cyclops : 4th August 2009 at 14:11.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:26   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Any inputs on this query experts? I would also extend this query to include the best gear oils (mineral)..?
mobil 1, 80W90 is a very good oil. it will perform its duty very well.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:51   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
There are many good brands to choose from - Total, Valvoline, Petronas, Mobil, Shell, etc. Out of these, the 1st three seem to have happier users. Its v difficult to say which is best as different users find different brands performing better in different cars.

You can get gear lube aslo, from the above mentioned companies
Old 4th August 2009, 22:09   #1822
BHPian

Engine Oil for Swift Diesel

Dear BHPians,

I recently changed engine oil of my Swift VDI. I was earlier using Servo Brand & now have moved to Mobil Super 1000 15W40. Besides being different in terms of Brand, is there any major difference between Servo 15W40? Personally i think no difference, but kindly confirm

Is there any better mineral oil available which i can use for my car? I would be sticking to Mineral Oil & thus get it changed every 5000 Kms. What should be frequency of Filter change?? Is it the same as Engine oil change frequecy?
Old 5th August 2009, 09:59   #1823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Dear BHPians,

I recently changed engine oil of my Swift VDI. I was earlier using Servo Brand & now have moved to Mobil Super 1000 15W40. Besides being different in terms of Brand, is there any major difference between Servo 15W40? Personally i think no difference, but kindly confirm

Is there any better mineral oil available which i can use for my car? I would be sticking to Mineral Oil & thus get it changed every 5000 Kms. What should be frequency of Filter change?? Is it the same as Engine oil change frequecy?
Super 1000 is API-SM as against API-SC/SD/SF of Servo. However, Super 1000 is essentially an oil for petrol engines. It does conform to API-CF for Diesels also. You may untimately be better off with a Diesel Specific Oil. Essentially, a diesel oil has a higher detergent content as compared to a petrol specific oil.

I am sure you will be able to find superior diesel specific oils at comparable or lower cost (look at the API-C? rating). This should be equal or higher than that specified by the car manufacturer.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:34   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Mushroomz: I have posted this many times in the past but with over 120 pages you cannot be really expected to search.

Let us look at your problem. There are two parts of it - the grade and the viscosity.
5W40 is bound to be a synthetic so you are mroe than Ok. As per modern API ratings there are only three valid grades for Petrol Engines - API - SJ (obsolescent), SL and SM. API-SF and SG being marketed by the oil PSUs are all sub-SJ at best. SL covers mineral oils, while SM is semi- and full synthetics. I have seen a Mineral also conforming to SM. So any decent oil you buy will do.

As for viscosity it is rated as mWn. mW is the viscosity of the cold oil. W stands for Winter Grade. The lower the number the faster will the oil circulate. n is the viscosity when hot and is the crux, SAE40 should do for you nicely. m should be equal (or lower) than the specified figure. n should be equal or higher than the specification. API-S? should be equal or superior to the specifications.

You should be Ok on all counts.
Thank you so much for posting this. Now, it stands clear to me. Appreciate it.

Old 5th August 2009, 14:56   #1825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Dear BHPians,

Mobil Delvac Super i guess, i felt its slightly better when it comes to engine smoothness compared to Servo. But Delvac MX gives the best results, though in recent times its reported that procurement has become difficult.

Wrt oil change stick to 5000 kms if you are particular or 7-8 kms at max with mineral oils. Beyond this "chances" of sludge happens esp in diesel engines with Turbo and EGR's. Its always advised that you change the filter along with oil for best results.
Old 5th August 2009, 15:06   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In a diesel, I would be even more scrupulous about the 6 month oil change rule, given the dirtier internal environment in it. So, changing the oil is a good idea. And I do not personally think that anything better than Castrol RX Super plus, that is a CH 4 15W 40 oil for around Rs 250 a litre is necessary. Or its equivalent. But if the car manual specifies oil thinner than the 15W, then I would not use the RX. And whatever I used, I would not keep it in the sump for more than 6 months. Even if it cost me an arm and a leg to change!
I would also get the air filter cleaned every three months - can be done for free, and is a vital part of keeping turbo diesels in good shape.
Thanks Sawyer.
Thanks a tonne. The Manual says I should be using API SJ Grade SAE 15W 40 oil to be changed every 10000Kms.

I am not moving my baby without the oil change. Thats for sure.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:59   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wrt oil change stick to 5000 kms if you are particular or 7-8 kms at max with mineral oils. Beyond this "chances" of sludge happens esp in diesel engines with Turbo and EGR's. Its always advised that you change the filter along with oil for best results.
There is no way Sludge can form in a DDIS/ MJD diesel engines within 7-8 K Kms if you are using Mobil Delvac MX or Super as FIAT has recommended 15K kms as their service interval for the same engine on their G. Punto. If what you say is true then 90% of Punto will come for breakdown maintenance even before they complete the second 15k kms (Assuming there are 3 services in first 15k kms).
Old 5th August 2009, 17:47   #1828
Team-BHP Support

I said "chances" as in take chance nobody can confirm without opening the engine and checking. Sludge formation does not mean engines will break down either.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:46   #1829
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I said "chances" as in take chance nobody can confirm without opening the engine and checking. Sludge formation does not mean engines will break down either.
Agreed. Also, with modern full flow filters any muck will not enter the engine! It will either sit in the sump, or be captured by the filter.
Old 7th August 2009, 00:20   #1830
Senior - BHPian

was lucky to get a petronas syntium 3000 4 litres can for 2000rs. was a 2008 stock with mrp 2600rs. now the prices have increased it seems.

mobil1 with same dealer costs 3200rs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks