Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 18:43   #2026
BHPian

Reduced FE after Synthetic Oil

I changed to Synthetic Oil (Mobil) for my Indigo DICOR during its 3rd service. prior to this I used to get a city FE of 12.5-13kmpl, but now it is around 11.7 to 11.9 kmpl (checked from full tank to full tank 4 times).
Riding conditions have not changed, AC usage has not changed only diff is that I do not use System D any more.

TASS service advisor says that it is because of not using System D. With normal oil when I did not use System D I used to get only around 11.5 kmpl average. Is it right or am I being taken for a ride?
Old 27th August 2009, 19:10   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I have used the system D/G, but stopped, like I have stopped eating vitamin tablets. But from what you write, it seems to be helping your FE, though I see no reason why it should!
But I see no connection between switching to synth, and stopping the use of Sytem D. One is oil, the other is in the fuel. And to validate what he says, why don't you give what he says a shot?
I still don't think it can affect FE, but maybe it does! No harm in trying, is there?
PS: In any experiment, one should only change one variable at a time. You seem to have changed two. The title of your post should logically read, Reduced FE after stopping system D. Correct?

Last edited by Sawyer : 27th August 2009 at 19:12.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:06   #2028
Senior - BHPian

After phone calls to several Engine Oil dealers, I've hit a dead end as far as getting Mobil Super XHP Plus in Pune is concerned. So, my choices have changed to either Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix Super 15W-40. Most likely, it'll be Magnatec; but if it's substantially dearer than the Helix Super, then I may just opt for the latter.

Thanks for your advice, Sawyer & DieselFan - won't bother you with my amateurish and newbie questions on this thread any more .

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th August 2009, 20:19   #2029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think the Shell Helix Ultra is 10W50 and it is full synth.
Shell Helix Ultra is 5W40...API SM/CF.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th August 2009 at 20:21.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:44   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Thanks for your advice, Sawyer & DieselFan - won't bother you with my amateurish and newbie questions on this thread any more .

Cheers,
Vikram
No worries, answering questions expands our understanding most of the time - please post the price of the Shell, I'd like to know how different it is from the Magnatec.
Old 28th August 2009, 01:00   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After phone calls to several Engine Oil dealers, I've hit a dead end as far as getting Mobil Super XHP Plus in Pune is concerned. So, my choices have changed to either Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix Super 15W-40. Most likely, it'll be Magnatec; but if it's substantially dearer than the Helix Super, then I may just opt for the latter.

Cheers,
Vikram
Have you tried Aru Oil Traders which is almost under the fly over at the begining of Paud Road? You'll get other brands like Valvoline, Petronas, etc also. I have seen Mobil mineral at more than one place. Another possibility is the oil dealers in Nana Peth. If you still hit a dead end, you could call/email Mobil and ask them.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:33   #2032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Have you tried Aru Oil Traders which is almost under the fly over at the begining of Paud Road? You'll get other brands like Valvoline, Petronas, etc also. I have seen Mobil mineral at more than one place. Another possibility is the oil dealers in Nana Peth. If you still hit a dead end, you could call/email Mobil and ask them.
Hi Raccoon,

Yes, Aru was the first place I tried. He does store Mobil, but hasn't even heard of the Mobil Super XHP, leave alone the Super XHP Plus. After that, I called Heera Oil in Gultekdi. Ditto with him. So, I directly contacted Raka Oil, who is the Mobil distributor (not dealer) for Pune region. Same result. Now, since the distributor himself doesn't have it, it's unlikely that any shop/dealer would have. I've emailed Mobil. Let's see what their reply is.

The Nana Peth suggestion is a good one; I'll check that out. Thanks.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 28th August 2009, 09:39   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Vikram - Mobil brand promotion campaigns seem to be a hit with you! I think one grows into and then out of these things - I have done this myself in earlier years to source Mobil in Pune. When I was a Mobil 1 fan. There is a outlet called Sanjay something in the Pimpri direction, Dapodi or thereabouts, who was my source, when most did not keep Mobil 1.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:10   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raccoon,

Yes, Aru was the first place I tried. He does store Mobil, but hasn't even heard of the Mobil Super XHP, leave alone the Super XHP Plus. After that, I called Heera Oil in Gultekdi. Ditto with him. So, I directly contacted Raka Oil, who is the Mobil distributor (not dealer) for Pune region. Same result. Now, since the distributor himself doesn't have it, it's unlikely that any shop/dealer would have. I've emailed Mobil. Let's see what their reply is.

The Nana Peth suggestion is a good one; I'll check that out. Thanks.

Cheers,
Vikram

Thats strange. Did you ask them to order it for you? One more place worth trying could be the car spare/accessories shop which is almost adjacent to Premier Service Station (Kulkarni petrol pump) at the begining of Laxmi road. I vaguely remember seeing Mobil there... but can't recall the specific variants.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:18   #2035
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Switching to mineral oil from synthetic oil

A query I would like to get inputs on. A friend of mine owns a Swift (P) ZXi and has covered over 49,000 kms and is nearing the 50,000 kms service. He switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil 5W50 at his 10,000 kms service and has been using it since.

However, now he wants to use a good grade mineral oil and has shortlisted Mobil Super XHP 10W40 and Shell Helix Super 10W40. Both of these are API-SL grade oils. He doesn't want to go for Castrol Magnatec as there is a lot of spurious stuff in the market. Authorized dealers for Mobil and Shell have quoted a price of ~Rs. 800 for a 4 litre can of the oils.

However, he has a few questions like

1. Will there be any problem if he switches from fully synth to mineral at 50,000 kms having used synth for the last 40,000 kms?
2. Will the API-SL oils (Mobil and Shell) perform to the same extent at the fully synth 5W50. He is willing to change the mineral oil every 5,000 kms hence forth.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks in advance,
gpa
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:31   #2036
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

1. Will there be any problem if he switches from fully synth to mineral at 50,000 kms having used synth for the last 40,000 kms?
I see no issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
2. Will the API-SL oils (Mobil and Shell) perform to the same extent at the fully synth 5W50. He is willing to change the mineral oil every 5,000 kms hence forth.
He can also look for Petronas Mach5 with is a Pure Mineral and SM. I am quite happy with a 10,000 km oil change. Almost any oil above SF (as they all are) should stand up to this.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:46   #2037
gpa
Senior - BHPian

sgiitk,

Thanks for your reponse. It is hard to locate a Petronas dealer in Bangalore, which is why he is planning on sticking to Mobil/Shell.

It might be true that any oil above the SF grade is good last for 10,000 kms, but with 70% of his driving done entirely in the city, it would be best he changed it every 5,000 kms.

One more question-Does he have to flush the engine before switching to a mineral after running on fully synth for so long?

Thanks,
gpa
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:50   #2038
Senior - BHPian

I switched from a synth to a mineral after a few years, and I see no reason for a flush.
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:05   #2039
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I switched from a synth to a mineral after a few years, and I see no reason for a flush.
How many kms did you cover on synth?
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:05   #2040
BHPian

Hi Guys, My Swift VDi is due for 3rd service in a couple of days. I am planning to shift to Synthetic oil. I am a novice in choosing engine oils.

Please provide me with options that i can consider to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks