Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 11:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda CBR 250R Review

Its sad to hear such experience with a brand new bike!

The reason could be a busted oil pump, it happened in my sis-in-law's HH Pleasure with just the same symptoms as you mentioned, but only the speeds were different. A faulty oil pump can get you into such a mess. So if the faulty oil pump is still there without replacement then it could happen again even with the new block!
Old 1st July 2011, 12:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
So if the faulty oil pump is still there without replacement then it could happen again even with the new block!
Mate, he has been given a complete engine replacement. Brand New
Old 1st July 2011, 12:33   #33
BHPian

My Honda Dio had a cylinder and piston transplant just after 2000 kms despite of regular service upkeep.

That was 5 years back - I was thinking I was one off case, but really I do get to hear a lot of problems with Honda Scooters and Motorcycles in India.

Now we have the TVS Wego and it came with 0 problems - our family have completed 2000 kms on this small runaround bike already.

My Shogun was also impeccable - I am still contemplating if I should cancel my booking of CBR. I did not take delivery from the first lot hearing many quality issues, thinking they might get rectified in coming lots. But really, i dont see that happening.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:52   #34
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the problems with your purchase; however atleast the ASC and Honda have given you a decent response by replacing the whole engine within a relatively short time, so there is a silver lining.

Please do insist that the dealership takes care of the RTO formalities also, you deserve it after spending your hard earned money and going thro the trauma.

Hopefully you can put this behind and things will be better, some short solo drives will probably help.
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just felt like adding another vital point here...

The owner's manual says the run-in period is 300 mi or 500 Kms. However they haven't specified as what's the RPM or top speed limit to be maintained during the run-in. Since I'd quite good friends who were knowledgable in the field they were able to suggest 5K. Despite that I felt the old engine to be a little rough beyond 4K RPM & that's the reason I started off with 4K & gradually moved upto 7K RPM

Regarding lemon, yeah, I can quite agree to it. But if someone asks if the engine run-in has been completed in the specified time, I don't know what to say. How can one check that unless they physically open up the cylinder? Is that we all do here after completing the run-in?

It would've been a real nice gesture, if HMSI would've supervised when the new engine was replaced, which they didn't. Beyond 4500 RPM (70 Kmph) & 6th gear there's real good vibrations starting from thighs all way up to foot; the RVM's have minor vibrations at idle. Do any of the C250R owner's experience the same two symptoms? I simply don't feel like owning the bike anymore. Like they say, first impression is best impression, may be probably that is lost. Damn!!! My 20 year old Rx has the same vibrations only after 85 Kmph!!!

When I call up the HMSI personnel, he asks me to take it to the ASC. So, in 15 days of ownership, there're about 3+ times of visit to ASC. And if I take to ASC, I've to leave the vehicle over there & the vehicle is at the risk of all curious hands. When I took the vehicle last Wednesday, I found a very minor scratch at the exhaust shield. Anyway, I let it go at the happiness of getting back my vehicle.

I'm not happy with the way things keeps going. First the cylinder, now vibrations & don't know what else will popup next. Does anyone have any contacts on upper management from HMSI? I'd really appreciate if someone has & comes forward to share with me. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd July 2011 at 18:22.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

@aargee - Sorry to hear about tribulation. Though I somehow feel you have pushed your bike to the limit in a very short period of time. Not that a "Honda" branded high end bike should not be ready for such abuse. It is indeed sad to see such a case so soon in a automobile's life-cycle. It does leave a sour taste in the mouth even though you are taking it pretty well, I would definitely have asked for a replacement bike.

When I went to test drive this bike, I somehow felt that it really lacked a major upgrade from my 2002 Karizma (which is incidentally half the price, and has done only 4K KMs till date ). I am in the process of bike upgrade soon, and am seriously looking at Ninja 650R and HD 883 Superlow (though, both in 2 different categories all together).

Anyways, best of luck for the future and do post some nice photos of your your "re-born" avatar...

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd July 2011 at 19:18.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm not happy with the way things keeps going. First the cylinder, now vibrations & don't know what else will popup next. Does anyone have any contacts on upper management from HMSI? I'd really appreciate if someone has & comes forward to share with me. Tks.
Please do share your feedback on HMSI Website. In my experience, Honda takes it quite seriously.

Sorry to hear about your experience! Hope, these initial hiccups would iron out soon and you'd enjoy your ride. I do not think you abused the bike. 500 kms are good enough to run-in the vehicle, though I personally prefer around 1000km.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I somehow feel you have pushed your bike to the limit in a very short period of time
I've done 4 run-ins in last decade & have an experience in building a motorcycle completely at home garage. Can you justify your statement above pls?

Not sure if you've read the owner's manual on C250R as what's mentioned about the run in. Is that justifiable?
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:23   #39
BHPian

Just curious, is this engine imported or is it being built here? This is a clean sheet design and some issues are bound to raise their ugly head in the first year. The fact that HMSI have slowed down deliveries drastically tells me they are aware of some issues. They are probably working on it quietly, but it will be a few months. This bike's introduction has had all the markings of a rush job, very un-Honda like.

That said, no manufacturer(lexus included) is entirely immune to mechanical failure and the occassional lemon. Honda has had its share of flops, but their success stories far outnumber the flaws. In the US, most people in the know wait out the first year of model introduction to allow the manufacturer to iron out the flaws. There is some risk involved in being an early adapter, no two ways about it. I would say replacing the engine is typical Honda, I've found them to be quite fair-minded in my own experience.

I am going to postpone my booking by about six months. Me thinks the CBR still represents the best balance of power(more performance than I need), fuel economy, handling and brakes at a great price.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 2nd July 2011 at 22:24.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

To say I am shocked and saddened is an understatement.

A guy buys a bike. He takes care to do the run-in in the correct way. Services the bike on time. In less than a week's time the engine dies on him.

Very sorry bro.

Hope HMSI buckles up and the current vibrations are taken care off.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:45   #41
BHPian

I never ever expected to see something like this here. Never for a Honda. I wonder if this happens only in our country? Stalling at 120 odd kms? absolute nuts. Unacceptable! I still can't believe it. But, for Aagree. ( And the bloke took his wife around for a ride when this happened! It must have had some permanent effect on his future )

I really can't put a finger on this, a stupid old splendor thats been revved like nuts can survive, a CBR should be better. I wonder if it was a freak/lemon issue. perhaps the dealer pulled a fast one?

Whatever the reason, thats one expensive honda lemon.

Something is wrong, very wrong. Had this happened at the hands of a newbie weekend rider we wouldn't even know! ( Read, Aagree knows his bikes, anyone else posting this I wouldn't even bat an eyelid.)

Last edited by YaeJay : 3rd July 2011 at 01:48.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:12   #42
BHPian

Sad & shocked to hear about your unpleasant experience with the CBR. And good you brought it up here for the benefit of all.

I can understand your heartache especially after having seen for myself the prestine condition of your ever trusty RX100 and how well you take care of your steed.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh!!! I forgot to add another point; though it might sound silly for most people, motorcycle fanatics like me cannot accept this...
Attachment 569962
This is how the ODO reads. So if I need to know how much I've clocked on the new engine block, I've to subtract 1205 from what ever it reads. Reason? HMSI personnel says the ODO CANNOT BE RESET. I really find it hard to believe!!!. He says, HMSI has a track record of my ODO & I don't need to worry. I really don't know what to say.
Forget the new engine block, does this justify that I've bought a new motorcycle?
Forget about the confidence, I'm only worried that I shouldn't regret at some point in the future to have bought this motorcycle!!!
Quote:
keeping my rev under 4K which is actually 60 Kmph. End of the day have done about 99 Kms.I kept the RPMs at 4K RPM, with a break for 5-7 minutes for every 50 Kms. Once I completed 300 Kms, the RPM limit was about 5K RPM. After 500 kms, it was raised to 6K & then gradually increased. End of the day, I'd completed 596 Kms on ODO in 10:30 hours.

20-June - I already had applied leave to office on 20 & 21st June to enjoy riding C250R to full as I always wanted to ride my Rx to office. I used this day to get the bike serviced. Had called up the SM at JSP Honda in advance & all of us were in sync that the bike would be serviced in 2-3 hours & handed over to me. They'd also done a good job by changing the engine oil to 20W-40 (which can also be used as an alternative to 10W-30), changed engine oil filter & lubed the chain. Costed about Rs 586. All done, checked & I rode back home as a happy customer. I was riding solo all the way during the run-in, so, I took an opportunity to show Wifey about the capability of the bike as soon as the first service was over.

So I & Wifey took a ride to Vellore which is 120 Kms from Chennai. But everything shattered to pieces.

I am no bike expert, but feels that the running in could have been managed better. True Instruction manual says this way and you would have followed religiously.

But, still, you could have kept the RPM below the recommended one and broken in the engine slowly and steadily instead of hurrying through the process. Some how the engine has over heated and which is why the lick.
You did not buy the bike to test top speed on the second or third day.

Atleast follow a revised procedure with the new engine.

Many happy miles of free revving biking.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd July 2011 at 03:44.
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True Instruction manual says this way and you would have followed religiously
Rajeev & other's - Guys, pls read the C250R's owner's manual before saying I violated the owner's manual, especially when it comes to keeping the bike under the RPM limit. Once again I stress, HMSI has NOT MENTIONED anything on it. They only say avoid sudden accelerations. When speaking to one of the HMSI personnel, he said, I could go even upto 8K RPM during run-in, just that, I shouldn't accelerate hard or suddenly.
Despite all this, I kept moving gradually from 4K RPM to 7.5K RPM.

I would probably be the joker who'd read the owner's manual completely even before buying the bike & twice after buying the bike.

Quote:
Some how the engine has over heated and which is why the lick
And if you'd read my post, the temperature guage didn't show more than 3/6 bars which is quite normal for CBR 250R & pls look at the pic, the seizure has happened only at the inlet port & not both the sides as how it would occur normally.

I humbly request you not to throw not so expert conclusions without understanding my posts. Most people here, know how I take care of my rides.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd July 2011 at 04:06.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've done 4 run-ins in last decade & have an experience in building a motorcycle completely at home garage. Can you justify your statement above pls?

Not sure if you've read the owner's manual on C250R as what's mentioned about the run in. Is that justifiable?
Well, I somehow feel (let alone what the manual says), a bike should "not" be pushed to its uppermost speed limits within the first few thousand km's and that too should be a gradual process; just my opinion, its not a fact... that's how I take care of my equipment; but what happened to you is totally unjustifiable and NOT acceptable from a Honda brand...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks