Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 11:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

Thanks patrick for posting this wonderful thread on one of the best classics that came out of India. As a college lad I remember, before the Japanese invasion (starting with Ind-Suzuki), it was Yezdi all the way. From commuting to Rally to what not. I used to ocassionally ride a neighbors 1970s model jawa & still remember putting it into 1st gear with the back of the left ankle
Old 9th July 2012, 12:43   #17
BHPian

Did anyone participate in Jawa Day? If yes, please share details regarding participation and ofcourse some pix.
Old 10th July 2012, 00:27   #18
BHPian

I belive there was a 1961 Jawa Twin that came by road from hyderabad any news or photos ot it.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is how yours truly's love affairs started with motorcycles from late 70's

Here's some real nostalgic memories...

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-y1.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 10th July 2012 at 08:04.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 09:34   #20
BHPian

Thanks, Aargee, this bike is the mirror image of the Yezdi I learnt to ride on: including those cylinder fins: ours was a 1975 Yezdi.
@Haroon: thanks for bringing back memories of that first gear shift with the back of the left ankle
Old 10th July 2012, 11:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for starting this thread about the first Czech automobile in India!

Back in 1995, when I got a budget approval of Rs.40,000 to buy a motorbike, the only options I thought about was the Yezdi and Enfield
(because I learned riding on my friend’s Yezdi Classic, the market leading 100cc bikes felt like mopeds for me). Yezdi Roadking was chosen and the on-road price was around 32K. The power, stability, and the sound it made – just amazing.

A brand new Yezdi was so rare then, and the college I even had Yezdi as a prefix to my name. And the best thing was, nobody would dare to ride my bike due to the fear of the kick-start bounce back.
It has been more than 10 years since I moved out of India, but the machine is still there at home. My friend got it back to life last year, but not sure what state it is in now.

I think they closed off sometime in 1996. Mine was one of the last brand new Yezdi sold in Thrissur.

There is still a website available IDEAL JAWA ( INDIA ) LIMITED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
EDIT: The supersprint was featured in our very own "auto india", wasnt it?
a red one?
I remember buying the then expensive Auto India magazine just for this picture
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 14:51   #22
BHPian

I reckon the website was created after they shut shop

Domain Name: YEZDI.COM
Registrar: NET 4 INDIA LIMITED
Whois Server: whois.net4domains.com
Referral URL: Domain Names, Domain Registration India, Web Hosting, Domains, SSL Certificates, .IN Domains
Name Server: NS2.DIGITEKSUPPORT.COM
Name Server: NS3.DIGITEKSUPPORT.COM
Updated Date: 29-jun-2011
Creation Date: 01-aug-1998
Expiration Date: 31-jul-2020

Here is the contact who owns it.

Administrative Contact :
Name: Abhay Naik
Organization: Digitek Consulting Services
Address: 1 JayLaxmi Complex, Haridas Nagar
City: Mumbai
State: Maharashtra
Postal Code: 400092
Phone: 28996070
Fax: 0
Email: enomadmin@digiteksoftware.com

If the company is ever revived, the domain could potentially be worth a lot
Old 11th July 2012, 16:28   #23
BHPian

Well. This thread brought back memories of two vehicles that I was in awe of during my childhood days. One was the Yezdi classic owned by my uncle and the other was a 1979 Lamby 150 owned by my dad. Both were unique in their own ways and I enjoyed being a passenger in both of them. Alas, both of them are sold now.

I was obsessed with the external placement of the engine in the Yezdi and would always ask my dad to drive the lamby with all the covers removed to expose the engines. Another point I clearly remember was about the superior headlight power of the Yezdi in compaison with our Lamby. I used to pester my dad to change th headlights so that it was more powerful. Ultimately, my uncle gave me the spare headlight bulb as a gift only to pacify my constant nagging and crying. I still own that bulb and it is among my most prized possessions.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:42   #24
BHPian

This thread has stirred up some old memories. We have a 87 classic at home. I learnt riding a two wheeler on this one and it was on a stretch on the expressway near Lonavala. This was when the express way was under construction and only had been leveled by road rollers. No concrete then, just soil. My dad restored it to a decent level somewhere in 2004-2005 when we moved to Pune and took it to Mumbai. He used it for some years and later it stayed there in utter neglect. I was not in Mumbai because of education and job and so could not take care of it. Since I have a lot of memories linked to it I am unable to get myself to sell it though my parents have been asking me to do so. Would like to restore it and use it as an occasional ride probably on weekends. Some of my observations -

Pros -
1. Absolutely stable vehicle inspiring confidence to drive at very high speeds as well. While getting the bike to Mumbai there was a RX100 guy trying to piss us (dad was riding) off. Took the challenge and little later the RX guy was a spec in the mirror. I am not at all joking here and no offence to RX owners. Its good for sprints but not when it comes to compete with the Yezdi
2. Dual exhausts - something people get done artificially today
3. All gear starts - a feature which was not advertised or publicized like it was done in the more bikes a few years ago
4. Two neutrals - 1-N-2-3-N-4. That was the gear pattern and if you did not want to start while in gear just shift to one of the nearby neutrals
5. Battery start - it wasnt a button start then but a battery start where one key position would start the bike from the battery.

Cons -
1. Carbon contact points- this was a real pain in the one I own. Getting it set to on the engine strokes were a pain since there were no expert mechanics and we had to do it at home. Initially my dad used to do it and later I tried to learn it from him with average success.
2. Oil leaks - a visit to the parking lot and it was very easy to say that we owned a Bullet, an Yezdi or the RD 350.

People tried to defame it by branding it as Doodhwala ki gaadi but I bet most people were not aware of the reason the Doodhwalas used it. Then it was a bike which could carry huge load with not much effect on its performance. Cruising on the highways with many liters of milk end equally heavy metal cans was never a problem. Bullet was a choice then but running cost was higher. Rajdoot was another option but loading the bike affected its performance. Moreover Yezdi could even run on kerosene though it was detrimental to the environment and the engine.

It was a gentle and humble giant which died a slow, gradual and painful death. Had they been to sightly change themselves with respect to the competition from the JAPs maybe we would have still had it.

OT - does anyone know how to get a fitness/roadworthy certificate for the yezdi? Any pointers? The bike is in Mumbai at present and I plan to get it to Pune and restore it. I knew one guy in Pune (Ramesh Thorat) who used to do it. Does anyone know if he still does it?

Last edited by centaur : 11th July 2012 at 16:44. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11th July 2012, 16:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
...I knew one guy in Pune (Ramesh Thorat) who used to do it. Does anyone know if he still does it?
Ramesh Thorat is apparently still around in Nanapeth (ph: +91 9823833387), as mentioned by member lotuseater here. Fitness certificate is not a problem if the bike runs and has other documents in place. I'm in Pune too, PM if you need anything. I'd be glad to help in any possible way.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 17:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Ramesh Thorat is apparently still around in Nanapeth (ph: +91 9823833387), as mentioned by member lotuseater here. Fitness certificate is not a problem if the bike runs and has other documents in place. I'm in Pune too, PM if you need anything. I'd be glad to help in any possible way.

Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks for the info mate. Will surely PM you if I need anything. Just hope that my plan of restoring my bike materializes soon. Between I see your profile pic is of an Yezdi. Which one is it? Is it a RK by any chance?

Few months back I had seen a RK in utter neglect in Vrindavan society in Thane. If anyones interested in getting it maybe you can track down the owner and get it. Might be a bit of a hassle but worth it. I would have taken it myself but with one classic already at home I doubt I would get to bring it home

Last edited by centaur : 11th July 2012 at 17:30.
Old 11th July 2012, 17:32   #27
BHPian

If anybody from chennai looking for Jawa, I find one standing at a road side Auto consultant shop for sale. Its a near K.K Nagar R.T.O office.
Old 11th July 2012, 18:51   #28
BHPian

Hey guys, here are couple of pics from the 2010, international jawa/yezdi day - mysore

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010398.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010399.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010400.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010402.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010404.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010406.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010408.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010409.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010417.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010421.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010422.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010423.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010425.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010434.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010435.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010431.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010428.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010429.jpg

Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-11072010427.jpg
S_patrick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 18:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you for this thread, Patric. Lot of nostalgic memories. Could you tell me what model is the bike with the no '13' ?

The pic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...i-100_0746.jpg
hey, that's a jawa TS twin sport 350 Type 638
S_patrick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 15:31   #30
BHPian

What a great company and amazingly great bikes.....shutting down of the company was a big tragedy.....that cafe racer is super!what workmanship........there was a classic in my family but i was too young to ride! just used to admire its looks.....after i get to riding bikes i could realize what an engineering artistry these bikes were.....the integrated gear and kicker levers , the neutral between all gears, the closed air filter so many innovations! one of my friend has an AP registered jawa and a Black KA registered Model B...i believe he knows you.i think he has told me about one mr.patrick who has a collection of yezdi and jawa bikes.....is it you?i think its the same patrick.....if yes u have an enviable collection.....my other friend has a a beaming red jawa.....
it will be great if you can upload your collection of bikes......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks