Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 13:50   #121
the-mechanic

Re: Jawa Yezdi Bikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
1. What is the typical Kmpl that one can expect out of this brute??
2. Are their enough qualified mechanics / service centres around??
3. What about spare-parts and accessories, how easy/ difficult to obtain them??
4. What is the average maintenance cost per year??
5. Since these are two stroke engines, Oil-Mixed with Fuels?? I'm assuming no regular visits to the service centre every 3 months / 3000 kms alike the Jap bikes..
6. Actual BHP of the vehicle?

What caused the Jawa Yezdi brand, Product to go downhill ?? With so many admirers, i'm sure there was a ready market for the vehicle... Why did the product fail after its initial success from the 60's to the 80's...
1. 40... i.e. 40km/2l :P
2. In Bangalore, from what I have heard, there are some really good ones
3. In today's world with Delhi and Mumbai meagre clicks away, sourcing parts shouldn't be a problem. Plus there are many Yezdi and Jawa clubs who'll be happy to help.
4. An owner can tell you better, but I believe general maintenance (about 500/month) is more than required
5. Yes
6. For 250cc Roadking ~ 16bhp

For why Yezdi failed, check this out:
http://marketingpractice.blogspot.in...-1995-rip.html

Also, I am looking for a Roadking myself. If you find a good deal, could you kindly loop me in too? Would be highly grateful...

Old 16th August 2014, 23:54   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-mechanic View Post
Also, I am looking for a Roadking myself. If you find a good deal, could you kindly loop me in too? Would be highly grateful...
Sure by all means,

Also, Curious to know, How easy/difficult is it to put in a self-starter on a RoadKing?? Has anyone ever tried it?
Old 17th August 2014, 00:04   #123
the-mechanic

Quote:
Also, Curious to know, How easy/difficult is it to put in a self-starter on a RoadKing?? Has anyone ever tried it?
Putting a self-starter motor on a Roadking isn't possible I guess. There's the lack of space plus even if you managed, you'd have to upgrade the battery and keep in mind it's a two stroke. I haven't heard if anyones ever done it.

Old 17th August 2014, 12:57   #124
BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

Thanks the-mechanic. Actually I dont have a problem with getting a person to restore it but looking for suggestions on the least expensive and easier way out especially since all 3 involve some RTO process
Old 17th August 2014, 20:59   #125
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Thanks the-mechanic. Actually I dont have a problem with getting a person to restore it but looking for suggestions on the least expensive and easier way out especially since all 3 involve some RTO process
If you plan to restore it, depending on the condition of the motorcycle, it can take anywhere from 30-40k and another 5k for getting the paperwork done. Once your motorcycle's restored, the RTO process shouldn't be difficult. Plus if you can find someone on T-BHP with contacts at the RTO or something, it might just get easier. You know a reliable agent or an insider!

Old 26th August 2014, 12:36   #126
BHPian

Does anyone know a good mechanic in Bangalore (Preferably North/East Bangalore) for Jawa Yezdi Roadking 250 bikes? Can someone pass on the contact details please?

Before considering buying and restoring any bike, i guess it is better to know someone reliable who can fix it, incase things go wrong.

Also, what about spares and availability in Bangalore? Any local dealers please?

Gears,
Manish

Last edited by man23ish : 26th August 2014 at 12:39. Reason: Local Spares..
man23ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 21:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon this thread today which brought back a flood of nostalgic memories of the Yezdi D-250 Classic (CAE 9839) that we had from 1981 to 2003, literally all through the growing up years. Such an elegant looking bike with the brass logos around the tank and the shiny brass and red classic logo around the sides that looked so awesome.

I remember just making a passing comment that I'd like ride that one in class 8th, surprisingly he readily agreed to teach me and I used to take it around the roads nearby the house. I would dread kick starting it after having received solid back-kicks from the bike during the early learning days. So he would kick start it for me and I would take it around till it stopped and he would kick start it again for me.
I had taken it to school once (with Dad riding pillion of course) and 8th grade classmates refusing to believe that I had got it until I rode that and showed them that I could. Lot of memories to pen down. Rode that bike through college and initial years after starting to work.

It had the most comfortable seat I've come across among among bikes in India. Sturdy everlasting frame and such heavy and planted ride with nice shock absorbers. The ride quality should be experienced to feel the comfort levels and the macho feeling one gets while riding that bike.
Never once I experienced any breakdown with that one. With so little parts, there is "literally nothing" in it that can break down.
Only thing is if you flood the engine with excess fuel by turning on the choke, it can be a nightmare to get it started. But every thing about handling this bike is a knack that one will acquire over time that will make you so confident of it, giving so much pleasure. Without the knack of how to use it, it sure is a nightmare to use one. Lot of people were hesitant to ride one.

I still remember the expression of shock and disbelief in the buyer's eyes after realizing the excellent condition it was in when I started it and handed it over to him. It just pranced energetically and galloped away like a powerful stead never to be seen again, unfortunately. I miss him.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th August 2014 at 21:51.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Putting a self-starter motor on a Roadking isn't possible I guess. There's the lack of space plus even if you managed, you'd have to upgrade the battery and keep in mind it's a two stroke. I haven't heard if anyones ever done it.
A friend of mine has installed Self started on a roadking, i cant vouch for the truth in this. But he has told me. He even sent me pics. But i am waiting to see this thing in person.

Quote:
Does anyone know a good mechanic in Bangalore (Preferably North/East Bangalore) for Jawa Yezdi Roadking 250 bikes? Can someone pass on the contact details please?

Before considering buying and restoring any bike, i guess it is better to know someone reliable who can fix it, incase things go wrong.

Also, what about spares and availability in Bangalore? Any local dealers please?

Gears,
Manish
Get in touch with Lokesh from BJYMC, who would help you with mechanics in Bangalore. And for spares, please get int ouch with GB auto spares. Very nice gentleman. and good prices.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th June 2015 at 14:26. Reason: Please don't make back to back posts. Read on how to use the multiquote button to respond to all in one post.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:00   #129
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
A friend of mine has installed Self started on a roadking, i cant vouch for the truth in this. But he has told me. He even sent me pics. But i am waiting to see this thing in person.
Cool! Please do get some pictures if possible!

Old 27th August 2014, 15:01   #130
BHPian

Quote:
1. 40... i.e. 40km/2l :P
2. In Bangalore, from what I have heard, there are some really good ones
3. In today's world with Delhi and Mumbai meagre clicks away, sourcing parts shouldn't be a problem. Plus there are many Yezdi and Jawa clubs who'll be happy to help.
4. An owner can tell you better, but I believe general maintenance (about 500/month) is more than required
5. Yes
6. For 250cc Roadking ~ 16bhp

For why Yezdi failed, check this out:
http://marketingpractice.blogspot.in...-1995-rip.html

1. What is the typical Kmpl that one can expect out of this brute?? - I am currently getting 32-35 KMPL.
2. Are their enough qualified mechanics / service centres around?? very much, depends on whar part of india you are looking for.

3. What about spare-parts and accessories, how easy/ difficult to obtain them?? They are available, not so easy.
4. What is the average maintenance cost per year?? It is very less, and also depends on how much you use it.
5. Since these are two stroke engines, Oil-Mixed with Fuels?? I'm assuming no regular visits to the service centre every 3 months / 3000 kms alike the Jap bikes.. True.
6. Actual BHP of the vehicle? Yezdi - 13 BHP and Roadking - 16 BHP
Old 1st October 2014, 20:18   #131
BHPian

Had to sell my '87 D250 classic. Sold it for a mere 3k. Was a big decision which took a long time for me to finalize but then at present I just did not have around 40-50 to restore and get the paperwork done. Still feel depressed when I think of it but luckily sold it to a guy i know and he will surely keep it in the pink of its health.
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:49   #132
the-mechanic

I have a doubt. What is supposed to be the original colour of a Maroon Roadking frame, maroon or black? I have seen bikes with both the frame colours and I am not sure if its a Roadking-Oilking thing or a change in model thing. Can anyone throw some light on this?
  (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 16:04   #133
BHPian

THe original frame was always in black. only the body parts were coloured differently.
you cant see the difference between the Oilking & Roadking, except for the oil pump and the monogram.
Old 7th October 2014, 20:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
THe original frame was always in black. only the body parts were coloured differently.
Dear Mr Srini,
By any chance you have picture of grey colored Jawa, i saw one on FB months back but cant locate it now.
It will be great if you PM me that pic from archive.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 8th October 2014, 10:18   #135
BHPian

Thanks for the thread. Brings back my memories too. Bought Classic model (black) from a sardarji dealer in Kashmere Gate for Rs. 2000/- black premium in 1980. Previously had Bajaj Chetak since 1977. What a feeling compared to Chetak! Yezdi was a riding beauty and a prestige symbol in college (MAMC). Riding all over Delhi (Chanakya, Archana cinemas etc.) and then to Nainital, Jim Corbett etc. on empty highways! A loosely hung khaki 'basta' next to 'sari guard' was the hep thing. I'm sure no other two wheeler could have had given the driving pleasure of Yezdi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks