Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2013, 18:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Hello Roomy,
How many of the remaining Y/J's in Bangalore do you think are legal. I have seen most of the people twisting the arm of law to their own convenience to make the ride a legal one afaik on paper.
There are umpteen rides out there which aren't to date in terms of tax/insurance, I agree, but that is not the bone of contention. There are situations wherein you have to work around the legal system to get your way and that includes punching new engine numbers, greasing the RTO, and a host of other ways. If it is a Hobson's choice, I concur, I will have to go for the darker way out.
The situation here is different.

Scenario 1: An unmolested Y which has been sitting in a garage/barn waiting for a Y lover to pick her up, work on her from ground up(Engine to rubbers to fluids to metal parts),ride her without even having a registration number.
Total headache: Proper rebuild plus getting fake papers/running the risk of getting caught with no papers.

Scenario 2: Get a Y albeit in a abused/raped condition with tax/insurance/FC pending. Get a proper rebuild, make the papers current, flaunt her around town.
Total headache: Rebuild plus some time at the RTO.

Given these two alternatives, i'll prefer the latter unless the ones mentioned here include the Y twin or J tank key model, CZ cafe racer, the unreleased faired Supersprint or any other prototype Idea Jawa was working on.

Regards
Old 25th December 2013, 18:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
There are umpteen rides out there which aren't to date in terms of tax/insurance, I agree, but that is not the bone of contention. There are situations wherein you have to work around the legal system to get your way and that includes punching new engine numbers, greasing the RTO, and a host of other ways. If it is a Hobson's choice, I concur, I will have to go for the darker way out.
The situation here is different.

Scenario 1: An unmolested Y which has been sitting in a garage/barn waiting for a Y lover to pick her up, work on her from ground up(Engine to rubbers to fluids to metal parts),ride her without even having a registration number.
Total headache: Proper rebuild plus getting fake papers/running the risk of getting caught with no papers.

Scenario 2: Get a Y albeit in a abused/raped condition with tax/insurance/FC pending. Get a proper rebuild, make the papers current, flaunt her around town.
Total headache: Rebuild plus some time at the RTO.

Given these two alternatives, i'll prefer the latter unless the ones mentioned here include the Y twin or J tank key model, CZ cafe racer, the unreleased faired Supersprint or any other prototype Idea Jawa was working on.

Regards
Agree with all you have said from a common sense practical perspective.

But the lure of an unused crate packed bike (even if exposed to the elements and time) is hard to ignore for an enthusiast. Its like a barn find!
Old 25th December 2013, 20:52   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree with all you have said from a common sense practical perspective.

But the lure of an unused crate packed bike (even if exposed to the elements and time) is hard to ignore for an enthusiast. Its like a barn find!
Agreed Doc!!
Lets wait and examine the veracity of the claims before jumping the gun.
Btw, do they actually crate the bike? Now, that would be something!!
Old 25th December 2013, 21:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No way. You should have seen the way it used to be transported when I got mine. It would put a sheep van to shame. Small scratches were prominent and no one would ever complain. The bikes were put down by 3 people from the truck. It would be dusted off and your vehicle was ready for the PDI. Come down the next day and it would have been washed and kept ready for delivery. The only thing that people wanted was the bike itself. They felt like a kid with an expensive toy with a macho image.
Old 25th December 2013, 23:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Not exactly bro. I'm just using the loose angrezi translation of desi biker lingo - peti pack!
Old 31st December 2013, 18:26   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav amlekar View Post
Hello everyone. Is anybody here from pune? I wanted to ask for a mechanic in pune for yezdi service/restoration. I have a yezdi 175cc in a beaten up condition. And am restoring it. Wanted some help. If anyone could suggest anything it would be helpful . Thank you.
There is a guy named Ramesh Thorat in Nana Peth. He does a good job. Got my 250 Classic restored from him sometime in 2004-05. Costed around 25k or so then. Met him a few months back and he told me that now a rebuild costs more since other charges have gone up. I guess some members of the Pune Jawa club also go to him for their works. His number has also been posted in this thread a little before. Do go through the posts.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:27   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav amlekar View Post
Any puneri people here? Do you know any Yezdi/Jawa club in pune ?Btw I just found out that there are some unregistered Yezdis available near vashi. They were secured when the factory was knocked down. So if some of you guys want to buy a new Yezdi you may get your wishes fulfilled.
Vaibhav,

Did you get a chance to speak to the folks and get more details of the treasure trove?
Will really appreciate it if you could throw some light on this.
Old 14th January 2014, 08:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

Drool on guys
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-980953_447042965418426_1538463088_o.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:02   #84
BHPian

Drool maal, yes!! Over kill, yes yes!! Twin discs for the ever sexy Roadking?!?!
Absolutely love the color combo and the lighting in the pic.
Please advice your friend to fix the gear lever/kicker, its drooping. The correct place for it to rest is parallel to the third line aong the engine lhs cover. Apart from the indicators which I personally find sticking out like a sore thumb in this bike, the headlamps, color combo and the deadly twin discs blow me away!!
Old 15th January 2014, 16:18   #85
BHPian

Here is a picture of my bike. I am the second owner, bought it from a friend in 1999 when he was leaving the country. Its a 1996 model. Just applied for the fitness certificate and that will take 10 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the Jawa Yezdi-rk.jpg  

Old 16th January 2014, 13:43   #86
BHPian

superb JKdas
remembered my college days where we use to admire Roadkings like anything...
You could see plenty of them even today in Mysore..
Posting my bike 1981 model
Old 16th January 2014, 15:04   #87
BHPian

Jawa/Yezdis are the most reliable bikes ever. And they are pretty easy to maintain too when compared to a Bullet (old or new). I got a 74 Type B. It's basic servicing costs about 300 to 400 bucks. And most of the work can be done the owner if he has some the basic know how.
The other day my Type B clutch cable snapped while I was going to office. I didn't have a replacement cable. I just rode on using just the gears and brakes. Got it back home also in the same condition. The gear shifts so smoothly without the clutch. I replaced the cable myself.
Once when I was riding from Mumbai to Pune, its accelerator cable snapped. I pulled out the outer casing of the accelerator cable, then took the wire and tied it to the throttle and rode on.
Now, speaking about bikes without papers. I personally know one dude who had to shell out a hefty fine to keep his Jawa tank switch, which had no papers. The dude has got the bike from some dealer in Mysore for 30k. He had spent around 25k to keep restore the bike. Once he was caught in a police bandobast, he tried to play smart and tell the cops that the papers are at home. The cops were even smarter, they said keep the bike here, get the papers and come back. Then he negotiated with the cops, they refused to budge and finally had to pay a hefty fine.
My funda is if the papers ain't clean then it is not worth the risk (Unless you own a 100 mile race track). Most of the riding has to be done on road and encounter with the police or RTO officials is a reality. And what I have seen is that cops love to catch old bikes, cars.
And most of the bikes papers can be made clean if you are a bit patient. My Yezdi was with a dude who had got the bike from another dude without changing the ownership. So I tracked down the original owner, got him to sign the papers and then transferred the bike to my name. The whole process lasted a month. But now I have a bike with very clean papers.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:25   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Jawa/Yezdis are the most reliable bikes ever. And they are pretty easy to maintain too when compared to a Bullet (old or new).
My younger brother would disagree on that point about the Yezdi/Jawa being an easier vehicle to maintain because each time he left it standing for a while (couple of weeks and at times a few months) and then came back later to start it, it would invariably have to go to a mechanic first and involve the emptying of wallet in the ritual - customary exchange of a couple of hundreds if not thousands for fixing/replacing something or the other.
He finally divorced the "Black Sorceres" as he used to refer to my bike and settled on the blue "electra" from Royal Enfield in 2003.
He was right about the Bullet needing very little maintenance because barring the occasional battery drain, it would start right away even after sitting parked for quite a long time.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:25   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post
He was right about the Bullet needing very little maintenance because barring the occasional battery drain, it would start right away even after sitting parked for quite a long time.
Its just because Bullets Exist, and Yezdis dont. No other reason.
Old 5th May 2014, 12:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinikasyap View Post
Its just because Bullets Exist, and Yezdis dont. No other reason.
That's cryptic to say the least. Could you please elaborate what you meant in this context.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks