Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 11:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535: Tech Specs Revealed

Link to News Section

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-6.jpg

Royal Enfield has launched the cafe racer styled Continental GT 535 motorcycle in the United Kingdom. The motorcycle was launched at an iconic location, the Ace Cafe London, and has been priced at GBP 5,200. This price represents a 200 pound premium over the next highest priced Royal Enfield, the Classic Chrome 500. The Continental GT 535 is expected to be launched in India next month, in time for the festive season, at a price between 2 lakh and 2.5 lakh rupees.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-1.jpg

The motorcycle is powered by a 535 cc unit construction engine, a bored out version of the 500 cc single that does duty on the Classic range of Royal Enfields. The additional capacity has given the motor an added dose of power and torque (29 Bhp-44 Nm compared to 27.2 Bhp-41.3 Nm of the 500 cc motor), and these figures come in at 5,100 rpm and 4,000 rpm respectively. Interestingly, the power on the 535 cc engine is produced lower down the rev range compared to that of the 500 cc engine, whereas one would expect a cafe racer to be more highly strung.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-2.jpg

The 535 cc engine retains the Keihin fuel injection system and a 5 speed manual gearbox. The major changes on the Continental GT 535 involve the styling and features. The motorcycle adopts cafe racer styling with a long fuel tank, a long single seat, rear set foot pegs and clip-on handlebars. The motorcycle sold in the export markets will feature optional bar-end mirrors while the Indian version is expected to make do with conventional mirrors to satisfy regulatory requirements.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-3.jpg

The Continental GT 535 features a double cradle frame designed by Harris Engineering. The double cradle frame, along with Paioli gas charged shock absorbers and Pirelli Sport Demon tyres, is expected to give the motorcycle handling that is sharper than the rest of the motorcycles in the Royal Enfield range. Though the Continental GT 535 features aluminium rims and smaller mud guards, these changes don't reflect in a lighter kerb weight. For all its sporty pretensions, the Continental GT 535 weighs 184 kilograms, with 90% fuel and oil.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-5.jpg

The Continental GT 535 weighs more than the Bullet 350, the lightest motorcycle in the Royal Enfield range, and one that weighs 180 kilograms. A 13.5 liter fuel tank, instrumentation that includes a speedometer and tachometer, and disc brakes at both ends round off the equipment list on the Continental GT 535. Both the front and rear disc brakes features a floating set up, with double and single calipers respectively.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-4.jpg

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 12th September 2013 at 11:25. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The tyre specs look as if they are going to be tubeless.
If yes,it will be good news for existing classic owners,at least for the rear rim.
On spoked wheels? Unlikely. Bullet guys have already been using Sport Demons for ages now (the on-off road variety).
Old 12th September 2013, 13:53   #78
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
On spoked wheels? Unlikely. Bullet guys have already been using Sport Demons for ages now (the on-off road variety).
If the design allows, tubeless tyres can be used on spoke wheels. But I too think the PSDs here are used with tube, else they would have mentioned in the spec sheet.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
If the design allows, tubeless tyres can be used on spoke wheels. But I too think the PSDs here are used with tube, else they would have mentioned in the spec sheet.
Yes I know both Harley and BMW (and probably even KTM) have spoked whels with tubeless tyres, using different techniques to air proof the wheels. But I just (justifiably) doubt RE is capable of that, or if capable, can give us that in 2 lacs (most of these firang wheels cost upward of 50K each).
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I just (justifiably) doubt RE is capable of that, or if capable, can give us that in 2 lacs.
Yep.. It gotta be Tubed one. Anyways the PSDs, Brembo Brakes and the steel braided brake lines have made a nice touch to the bike. Hope they prices it sensibly. In UK it comes with a 200 pounds premium over Classic chrome.
Old 12th September 2013, 19:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I know both Harley and BMW (and probably even KTM) have spoked whels with tubeless tyres, using different techniques to air proof the wheels. .
Yes Doc would agree to that,considering that RE wants to keep the prices down they would definitely not want to invest 50K just for the rims. They even made a step back by not putting in the Ohlins and instead opting for a different brand to keep costs down.

Hopefully they get in more colors rather than just the red, something like the green which was seen on the Jaguars E Series with some Gold Lines.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 22:34   #82
Senior - BHPian

Found this nicely made video on youtube!
Old 13th September 2013, 01:22   #83
BHPian

Found the Ad for the continental GT on facebook. Boy do i want this bike . I just love the cafe racer styling. This bike looks athletic. I grew up seeing pot-bellied police men on enfields; I could never shake off that image until now. Royal enfield is turning out to be a really interesting company and they are based out of chennai! yay!

karthikpra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 07:55   #84
BHPian

While I am excited about a new genre of motorcycles entering the market, I am left scratching my head at the same time. Are we still living in an era where ~500cc motorcycles should generate a piddly 30 odd horsepower, and we go mad about it? Pay obnoxiously for a bike which in essence is probably as slow as the ones in the 60's? (Don't kill me for saying this!)

I do understand that it "handles better, has a better pickup" and all that mumbo jumbo. I was drooling at the bike at the Auto Expo and been thinking of fulfilling a dream of owning a CR type motorcycle. While the bike looks aesthetically appealing, I feel this engine needs a shot of steroid to be truly called a Cafe "Racer".

PS:- These are my personal opinions and in no way do I have a grudge against RE or any RE fans.
Motormania is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 09:21   #85
BHPian

I agree. I love the way the bike looks. Fantastic job by Harris performance etc. Waiting to see these beauties on/in our potholes.
The motor's specs doesn't get me excited though. It's rather disappointing. Pricing will be key for this product and with the current prices for a brand new enfield, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Anyways the PSDs, Brembo Brakes and the steel braided brake lines have made a nice touch to the bike.
I would have preferred the Avon Speedmaster Venoms anyday. That tyre sticks like a leech on the track man. And they are slo much lighter than the PSDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hopefully they get in more colors rather than just the red, something like the green which was seen on the Jaguars E Series with some Gold Lines.
You have impeccable taste. I love that green too. Its called British Racing Green incidentally and the Brits are very fussy about who uses it. Put two white racing stripes down the center and you have been transported back to the barnstorming days of Nortons, Jags, and Spitfires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
which in essence is probably as slow as the ones in the 60's? (Don't kill me for saying this!)
If anything its the Brits who would be killing you for saying this. The original cast iron Brit 350s and 500s were and are faster (and had way better metallurgy and finish) than our Indian versions, regardless of the half dozen motors changed since then .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
I agree. I love the way the bike looks. Fantastic job by Harris performance etc.
Two gripes (actually three). The headlight dome is jutting way too out for my taste. The RD's dome is perfect. And the double cradle below the engine has a huge amount of empty air real estate that bothh looks bad as well as reduces the ground clearance (look at the photos of the side view). Also while we are it, the bike deserve a proper megaphone. Not the tiny nozzled outlet megaphone lookalike it has currently. Big put off that.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th September 2013 at 10:29.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 19:30   #87
BHPian

Its intersting that on one side we have a Duke 390 producing 44 odd bhp and on the other hand we have RE still stuggling and churning out mere 29 bhp from its 500 cc block and it may get priced agains the duke - I find this as a crude joke.

Also where will you ride the cafe racer in the roads full of traffic and congestion, RE is one brand which I fail to understand mostly with their strategy.
invincible7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 22:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Wow! what an ad! Loved it! Loved the way they included India/Chennai ( They even added the OVRM we will get in the Indian rides). And glad that they kept the music, the music of the bullet! the thump.

I too want one.
Old 15th September 2013, 04:56   #89
BHPian

I don't understand why we are comparing this to the duke or the ninja. Despite being in the same price bracket, these bikes appeal to different sets of people. Personal i feel the duke is for someone who loves the power, the ninja is for someone who loves the way the bike handles on the track and the cafe racer is for someone who wants it for its unique styling. If we expect everything from every bike, what makes them different?
karthikpra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 11:38   #90
BHPian

This bike certainly look's delicious, just loved the design of those rear view mirrors unfortunately the Indian version will come with a different design.
Visran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks