Old 28th May 2015, 12:42   #631
J.Ravi

Re: Third Party Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
1049 for 3rd Party Insurance?
Yes.

Quote:
How much was the difference between the comprehensive and this?
The expired comprehensive insurance premia was ₹ 2,445 with 20% no-claim bonus. Thus, the net saving is ₹ 1,396 [2445-1049].
  (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 15:23   #632
J.Ravi

Re: Blue Bird's First Birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Ditto for the second birthday and I was 3,061 km away, driving from Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh to Kaziranga National Park, Assam.
Belated birthday present for Blue Bird - a water-resistant pouch for the navigator bought from Ali Express, ordered on 29 May 2015 and received today, costing ₹ 314.37. Since I am now 355 km away from my bird, I clicked these photographs after fitting the unit on my son's Classic 500. I shall test it in my next long ride and report here.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05914.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05916.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05919.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05920.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05921.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05922.jpg

Old 12th June 2015, 00:08   #633
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Wouldn't the pouch be more water proof is the zipper handles were moved to the side or below?
Old 12th June 2015, 08:41   #634
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Wouldn't the pouch be more water proof is the zipper handles were moved to the side or below?
Yes, it can be done. Actually, I will prefer the zipper handles at the bottom with little gap in between to allow the charging wire to pass through.

Old 25th June 2015, 10:27   #635
J.Ravi

Blue Bird Comes Out Of Hibernation!

Quote:
I tried in vain to self-start her. The battery icon started flashing on the instrument panel indicating weak battery. Then, I gently kick-started her. Blue Bird started chirping happily in the very first kick.
History repeated itself today, again! Today early morning, I didn't even try to self-start Blue Bird. Just one gentle kick, B. Bird chirped merrily after hibernating for 46 days. I am happy that the stock OE Exide battery is still doing duties even after 2 years with frequent hibernation. Took her for a spin upto Marina beach and B. Bird had petrol worth ₹ 500. BTW, petrol costs ₹ 70.12/litre in Chennai. I am planning a long solo ride with B. Bird.

Old 28th June 2015, 12:20   #636
BHPian

Hi Sir

I am planning to buy my first royal enfield. My wife is an RE enthusiast as well. We are stuck between comfort of Thunderbird 500 and stunning looks of desert storm. It was pleasure reading your thread on RE thunderbird 500. Now after reading this my inclination slightly improved towards the Thunderbird. Can you please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Arun
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 16:11   #637
J.Ravi

Nowadays, I am using the free trial version of Navi Maps of MapMyIndia [MMI] on my smartphone for intra-city riding. I find the smartphone version of the maps very user-friendly as I could hear the voice-guidance very clearly, even on the busy Mylapore roads with helmets on. Earlier, I could not hear the voice-guidance clearly from my MMI Lx130 navigator. I may eventually buy the Pro Guidance maps costing ₹ 559.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-screenshot_20150630153815.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
It was pleasure reading your thread on RE thunderbird 500.
Thanks a lot, DAART.

Quote:
Now after reading this my inclination slightly improved towards the Thunderbird. Can you please share your thoughts.
Classic 500 and Desert Storm are the same, but for the colour. After riding my son's Classic 500 for more than an year, I bought my Thunderbird 500 in April 2013. I can vouch for the better overall fit and finish of my Thunderbird 500 compared to my son's Classic 500. I prefer my Thunderbird 500 for the long rides, thanks to its contoured rider's seat. I don't like my son's Classic 500's flat rider's seat. Of course, the gizmos of Thunderbird 500 - although not accurate - will be useful to some extent. Similarly, the rear disc brake - although not as precise as the front one - is also an added feature. The projector low beams and LED halo parking lamps are very attractive. Even after two years, my Thunderbird 500 turns many curious heads, enquiring about the cost, power, comfort, etc. The last , but not the least, I am able to smoothly kick-start my Thunderbird 500 in the very first attempt; but not so in case of my son's Classic 500, which requires many attempts. Today morning also, I kick-started my bird in the very first attempt! So, in nutshell, my vote goes to my Thunderbird 500! Sorry for my late reply.
  (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 17:53   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, in nutshell, my vote goes to my Thunderbird 500!.
Aptly put J.Ravi Sir, I too own a Tbird500 Marine Blue and the experience by far as been very good. DAART mate I was waiting for J.Ravi Sir to reply to your query. If I were you I would go and pick up the Thunderbird500 over the Desert Storm for the equipment and features it offers. Desert Storm is the same as CL500 but with a different color. I have 5 RE's in my stable and believe me none gives me as much comfort and handling satisfaction as the Tbird500 does. Now consider this Tbird500 comes with a all blacked out 500cc EFi Engine, digital instrument cluster with MID, front and rear disc brake, beefier and wider front forks which decimates the undulations on roads, redesigned swingarm and a marginally shorter wheelbase coupled with 5 step preload adjustable rear suspension that aids in handling and taking corners unlike no cruiser offered in India at this price point, 20 litre fuel tank (range apprx. 550-600 kms) ideal for touring and not worrying about running out of fuel, Fatter rounder profile rear tyre for handling and speed, well contoured and comfortable seats for long rides, can also double up as a city bike whenever required, projector beam HID light with LED corona ring and LED tail light, and many more...

It's your call at the end of the day.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 30th June 2015 at 17:55.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 00:07   #639
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your advise Ravi Sir and Navin. I have made up mind now for RE TB 500. Will update the thread once I get my first RE and share the pleasure with you RE experts!! Thanks a lot again.
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 20:40   #640
J.Ravi

Smartphone Holder

I have started using Navi Maps using my smartphone. None of the handlebar holders I have accommodates my smartphone. So, I bought one smartphone holder from ebay.in costing ₹ 314.50 after encashing PayBack points. The smartphone holder tightly holds my smartphone both horizontally and vertically. However, I shall use it during my next long ride, and then, give my final comments.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05971.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05969.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05979.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-dsc05980.jpg

Old 2nd July 2015, 10:22   #641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Smartphone Holder

Quote:
I have started using Navi Maps using my smartphone. None of the handlebar holders I have accommodates my smartphone.
J.Ravi Sir I have noticed you are using a weatherproof mobile holder similar to the Rynox mobile holder sold here in India. The Rynox mobile holder comes in two variants one for 5 inch phones and other for 5.5 inch phones. I have been using the 5 inch variant and am very happy with it. I use a 4.7 inch phone and sometimes 5 inch phone and it holds it perfectly. I have kept one phone as a dedicated SMPDGPS(Smartphone Dedicated GPS) and use other phone for regular use. My other phone has a decent battery capacity of 4000 mAH which has enough juice for long rides. I believe the mobile holder from Rynox also protects my smartphone from flying debris and other nature elements while keeping it covered.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:06   #642
J.Ravi

Re: Smartphone Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The Rynox mobile holder comes in two variants one for 5 inch phones and other for 5.5 inch phones.
My next experiment is to buy a bigger water-resistant pouch and use it in the new clamp-holder to protect my smartphone from drizzles. The existing pouch is a tight-fit width-wise even for my 3.5" MMI navigator.

Quote:
I have kept one phone as a dedicated SMPDGPS(Smartphone Dedicated GPS) and use other phone for regular use.
That's nice.

Old 2nd July 2015, 20:14   #643
J.Ravi

Breather Tube Replaced

From the past coupla days, Blue Bird's idling rpm crossed 1,250, which was unprecedented. Today, I inspected the breather tube and found that it was ruptured at many places, especially at the bends. So, I rode to Sri Velavan Motors, Anna Salai, Chennai, located 2 km from home and got it replaced at a total cost of ₹ 112. Now, Blue Bird hums at 900 - 1,000 rpm.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-breathertube.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd July 2015 at 20:33.

Old 2nd July 2015, 22:49   #644
BHPian

Ravi Sir, how could you do the diagnosis so quickly? What made you check the breather tube?
Old 3rd July 2015, 07:44   #645
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
Ravi Sir, how could you do the diagnosis so quickly? What made you check the breather tube?
Some owners of Thunderbird/Classic 500 have reported the same issue in Team-BHP and the culprit was the ruptured breather tube! So, I called Sri Velavan Motors, Anna Salai, Chennai, enquired about the availability of breather tube and after getting positive answer, rode there and got the culprit replaced with a new one. I am thankful to Team-BHP.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks