Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 21:36   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
12.5K for a single tyre or pair?
That was for a single rear tire, and looking at the healthy torque figures it makes suppose the tires might last similar to that of a SBK.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 08:30   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Thanks Sridhu, but to the naked eyes it did seem to be regular rubber lines. My apologies if it meant a lot to you
Doesn't mean a thing to me man. You seemed to be agonising over it & hence thought I will ease your mind! :-)
Old 16th July 2013, 17:28   #273
BHPian

came across this review of the D 390 courtesy 'genxt' from xbhp.com.

Seems a place from the South. In-gear acceleration is quite good. Sounds ok, could have been better.
Here are the views of a certain Mr 'Surencameo' from Coimbatore on test riding the 390, courtesy xbhp.com. 'I sold my RX100 in Jan 2013 in high hopes on KTM Duke 390. I waited for 6 long months for the launch and finally booked it a few days before launch in Coimbatore KTM. I was the first customer to book the 390 in Coimbatore. Just to mention, Coimbatore KTM has provided the best customer service so far I have experienced with any automobile company/showroom. On the privilege of first customer, they called me for a test ride and this was an extensive one. I was allowed to test ride it both in city traffic and highway. It was around some 15 km test ride. I was given an independent test ride without any pillion or KTM reps. My findings are, as said the bike heated up after the city ride, not too much or unbearable, but was surely noticeable and needs to be fixed; the temp gauge was just 1 point less than the highest point; the cable near the keyhole was taped with a black tape; the hand-guard plastic had uneven finishing inside; the dent in the exhaust pipe is really an eyesore, but only can be noticed if observed deeply. Coming to the performance, the bike reaches 100 kmph in such an ease and moved forward without any hesitation. City drive supports only the first 4 gears. The 5th and 6th gears can be used only in higher speeds. Riding slower in lower gears caused immense knocking from the gear box. The excellent features I noted during my test ride were the quick acceleration, which I have never experienced with any of the previous motorcycles I owned, the deeper 2-stroke like exhaust note (I like it), accurate braking effect (tested it in speeds around 80-100 and it was very much confidence inspiring and stable), and the tire grip levels (felt very much planted). These were just excellent and a never before experience. Stoppies seem to be an easy one with this machine and we did try this. All said, I am just madly expecting the delivery of my 390, which will be done in the first week of August hopefully.'
coolrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 03:46   #274
BHPian

The pace at which the bike disappeared after leaving the crossing was simply stunning... Is there a way to reduce the knocking in lower gears at low speeds or is it just upto the rider?
Old 17th July 2013, 08:09   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
The pace at which the bike disappeared after leaving the crossing was simply stunning... Is there a way to reduce the knocking in lower gears at low speeds or is it just upto the rider?
It is not actually engine knock, but due to the fact the bike is a single cylinder motorcycle tuned to make power and torque higher up the rev range, everything about the engine design is to aid this.

The reason to do this are simple, the faster the engine spins means improved VE(to a point) which leads to more power HP=(torque*rpm)/5252

To get the engine to spin at a higher rpm and be reliable All reciprocating parts are lighter , including the crankshaft which means the flywheel does not store enough energy to help the engine coast through the 3 non power making strokes of the 4 stroke cycle at too low an rpm and propell the motorcycle with you on it forward...in a smooth manner.

So that knock you hear is actually you lugging the bike at too low an RPM and yes it is a matter of getting used to riding the bike at the right speed for a given rpm rang and gear.
motocamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 13:38   #276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Suddenly I am seeing a bit of negativity Around this Bike. No doubt, it's a bikers dream come true but it appears that Bajaj goofed up a bit . May be pressure to launch the bike ASAP But it;s quite surprising that there has been no Actual reviews till date after launch from anywhere. Even More strange is the fact that Bajaj themselves went into shell after launching bike. There is no marketing blitz, One usually sees attached to a eagerly awaiting launch of the year. Just plain Silence On their part.

Or there is some thing that i don't know?

I am glad i choose to wait for 6 months before Plonking my Money. Just hope Bajaj comes up with a explanation for this long silence on Duke 390 . ( i know In India, you are not chooser So chance of explanation are nil to negative ).
Old 17th July 2013, 14:16   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Suddenly I am seeing a bit of negativity Around this Bike.
I think this is pretty normal. I've been waiting to buy a new, 'fun' bike for quite some time now and I've eagerly followed the online buzz surrounding several recent releases- Ninja 250, CBR250R, Duke 200, R15, R15 V2, the various Bullet avatars, Ninja 300, etc.

In each case, no exception, the online enthusiasm just keeps building up to a crescendo before the bike launch and then dies down quite a bit after the launch. (When people actually ride the bike and realize that it's not the answer to all of life's problems. )

These days, there is always yet another new release coming soon, so the buzz and discussion shifts to that upcoming release. Perhaps we just like discussing bikes online a lot more than we would care to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am glad i choose to wait for 6 months before Plonking my Money.
I'd say this would be the sensible thing to do for ANY new vehicle release. All new models will have some bugs and niggles that will come to light only during real world usage. Some would probably say that it's worth these initial niggles to be the first in line to own a new machine, but personally I don't see the fun in paying the manufacturer for the dubious privilege of being a guinea pig for their new release. Even if they are promising a lower rate for the first lot. But that's just me.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 17:37   #278
Senior - BHPian

2L for this much of equipment. Let the negativity continue and few people withdraw their bookings. Us in line will move forward and will start getting our delivery in time.

The bike to me is loaded with equipment for the money. With an after market exhaust and a remap this bike is a killer to have fun for the price you are paying.

Even the new 500cc bull costs close to 2L with minimal equipment's.

Bring on the negativity

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th July 2013 at 17:39.
VW2010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 21:22   #279
Senior - BHPian

Was invited to the unveiling of the KTM 390 at Meerut today. Had a talk with Bajaj DGM from Pune who confirmed to me that although a faired version of the 390 was in the wings, there was no plan to launch the Adventure variant anytime soon. So all those delaying their purchase for that better change their minds.

And the brake lines are in fact steel braided though covered with with black plastic sheath. Rest the bike was near identical to the 200 in size, except the engine, the Metzeler tyres and the Bosch ABS and fuel injection. The knuckle guard is standard fitment though the windscreen is an optional accessory.

The bike was 2.01 L on road at Meerut.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm-duke-390.jpg
Old 18th July 2013, 03:35   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
It is not actually engine knock, but due to the fact the bike is a single cylinder motorcycle tuned to make power and torque higher up the rev range, everything about the engine design is to aid this.

The reason to do this are simple, the faster the engine spins means improved VE(to a point) which leads to more power HP=(torque*rpm)/5252

To get the engine to spin at a higher rpm and be reliable All reciprocating parts are lighter , including the crankshaft which means the flywheel does not store enough energy to help the engine coast through the 3 non power making strokes of the 4 stroke cycle at too low an rpm and propell the motorcycle with you on it forward...in a smooth manner.

So that knock you hear is actually you lugging the bike at too low an RPM and yes it is a matter of getting used to riding the bike at the right speed for a given rpm rang and gear.
That's quite insightful thanks. Would you know the gear ratios & the max speed one can comfortably operate in while riding this bike.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:46   #281
BHPian

Earlier the news was that the strike at Bajaj Chakkan plant did not affect the D390 production but I hear something different now. Anyone got a specific delivery date?. I kept asking my dealer and he kept telling me, 'no definite date' is communicated yet. Is that the case everywhere?

Meanwhile I took a test ride today. It was raining so could not push the bike. But whatever little I could experience was very good. Acceleration, handling, braking etc. were more than first-rate. Engine heat was an irritation while waiting for the green lights, even though I was riding in heavy rain. I think it will be intolerable on a mid day ride in heavy traffic, during the summer. However when the bike was on the move, I did not feel it at all. My purpose is to use it strictly for cross country runs. Hence ignoring this glitch completely.
Old 18th July 2013, 23:29   #282
Senior - BHPian

OT : Speaking and listening to many one thing is noticeable -"Some people cannot digest or accept the fact that D200 and D390 is made by the same company that made the pulsar " .

Does anyone know why blore still does not have Test rides , while smaller cities have already started test rides .

Last edited by black12rr : 18th July 2013 at 23:31.
Old 19th July 2013, 08:03   #283
Senior - BHPian

Got an email from the dealer to get started with the loan process for the motorcycle. I hope this is some indication that deliveries are coming up soon. The wait has been painful. With no official ride reports for the 390, it looks like the owners are going to be reporting more than journalists.
Old 19th July 2013, 08:33   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Does anyone know why blore still does not have Test rides , while smaller cities have already started test rides .
Same is the case here in Hyderabad. Till now no information on the Test Drives. I think this has more to do with the local RTO approval for new launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Got an email from the dealer to get started with the loan process for the motorcycle. I hope this is some indication that deliveries are coming up soon. The wait has been painful. With no official ride reports for the 390, it looks like the owners are going to be reporting more than journalists.
well that is news now. Got to check with my dealer as well. Journalists will then be reading ownership reviews and analysis rather than their competitors.
Whatever the reason is this must be awkward for the reviewers to hold back. In the meantime the barrage of questions on what conspiracy is cooking has been entertaining.

I heard the exhaust inside the showroom and it sounded good. Did not throttle at as it was closed space. Overall the wait is painful and snippets of bike are the only bit that I am feeding on. Got to go and buy the gear now. But Hyderabad seems to be very weak in that aspect. Do not want to order from outside with sizing the apparel and Helmet. Bengaluru or Mumbai Drive is in order now.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:34   #285
Senior - BHPian

Read it on a Forum,a 95 kg rider clocked 168 on speedo and 161 on GPS.
170 on speedo should be easily possible with a lighter rider,not bad i say.
But in the same post its mentioned that post 140 wind blast is a real pain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks