Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 12:14   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Thumbs up for Angel GT' - they are amazing tires. Also you can consider Metzeler Roadtec 01 if they come in your tire size - a bit longer life than Angel GT's and more rain grip - with slightly poorer dry grip.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:26   #6422
BHPian

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I have a 2017 KTM Duke 390 which has done 12k kilometers on Stock Metzlers. In December, I will be heading out on a 3000 kilometer solo trip from Gujarat to Telengana and eventually back to Gujarat.

I want to get my tyres replaced but am not able to make my mind up between the three options; Metzlers H rated stock ones, Michelin Pilot Street and Apollo Alpha H1.

I only ride the bike on highways and on long trips. 10k of the 12k kilometers would have been done on trips to Rajasthan and Maharashtra. I prefer puttering around town on my Himalayan due to the relaxed nature of the RE engine.

Given my touring only usage, what do you recommend I should buy? I tour in the rains too (maximum 2 trips in monsoon) and enjoyed the grip provided the Metzlers. My priority is as follows

Price/Cost - low priority. I don't mind spending on the right tyre

Life of tyre - Medium Priority

Corner and Straight Line Grip - High Priority

Resistance to Punctures - High Priority

Stability on sudden Sand, Gravel and Road Repairing Patches - High Priorty

Thank you,
Rahul

Brother, I have Pirelli Diablo Rossi II on my RC 390 (both front and rear). You can also try these ones. Even a newer Mk III is available on sale now which has treads similar to their premium line-up SuperCorsa.

I have done multiple road trips as well as track day at BIC last year using this tire.

These tyres have performed really well and do last better than Metzeler in my opinion. These are dual compound tyres (medium hard compound in centre and soft compound on sides) and are suitable for both Track as well as rough Tarmac.

Price wise, they are bit cheaper compared to Metzeler.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:45   #6423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given my touring only usage, what do you recommend I should buy? I tour in the rains too (maximum 2 trips in monsoon) and enjoyed the grip provided the Metzlers. My priority is as follows
Touring long distances usually involves different terrains. Super smooth highways transitioning into pot holed roads. You have 2 clear parameters viz grip and puncture resistance. I would add another one - Rim (wheel) protection

Hitting an imperfection on the road at the wrong speed / angle could mean cracked rims and pretty much the end of your ride (not to mention the worst case scenario)

Grip is also a relative term. Frankly, most (not all) tyres today provide adequate grip for mortals such as ourselves. A warmed up tyre offers much more grip than you and I would ever need. You don't need the stickiest sportiest rubber to travel and have fun. I have dragged pegs on my KTM with a 100/90-17 Sirac front and a 130/80-17 vee rubber rear

I recommend a dual sport tyre for your usage. Timsuns come to mind... 822 and 823 (model no.) IIRC. These will offer you more than enough grip, last a fair distance and will be way more puncture resistant than any street tyre can ever hope to be. While these are available in the stock size for the Duke, I would also recommend that you go for a 100/90 front and a 140/70 rear. You get some more cushion on your sidewall and this really helps protect the rims

I have used enough street / sport tyres and don't recommend them for daily usage; unless your daily usage involves heading down to your favourite road(s) with your favourite corners. These tyres get punctured so easily and soon you will have poked enough holes into it. They usually have a rather curved profile so long distances on the highways mean the centre gets flattened... "squaring out" the tyre. Tipping such a tyre over into a corner is downright scary and IMO unsafe! It sort of feels like when you are rocking your wooden desk chair back and forth and sometimes go too far back

All the best

PS - I am not affiliated to Timsun in any manner. The reason I recommend it is simply basis availability. Havent mentioned similar examples from vee rubber or IRC as they aren't exactly available everywhere
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 15:16   #6424
Senior - BHPian

@urban_nomad Whats the speed rating of the Timsun tires you are recommending ? Duke 390 can do well over 150kmph and we need to keep that in mind while putting the tires on - or make sure we keep under the Speed rating limit.

BTW dual sport tires make sense only if you do a lot of off-roading - otherwise touring tires like Angel GT / Roadtec 01 make a lot more sense. They have better grip levels on the road, are much quieter & last longer as well. They will easily take potholed roads no issues.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 15:35   #6425
BHPian

I'm facing a weird starting problem on my 390. Somedays it does'nt start, and somedays it does! When it starts, it runs fine that day. The next morning it may or may not start. I give up and try the day after that, it starts without drama. There is no pattern to this behaviour. I'm not sure what's going on. Any troubleshooting ideas?
Old 20th November 2019, 15:58   #6426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I'm facing a weird starting problem on my 390. Somedays it does'nt start, and somedays it does! When it starts, it runs fine that day.
Check the electrical connectors for battery and ECU for any loose connection. Next would be to check the fuel pump I guess.

When you switch on, does the fuel pump start priming? and does it crank?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 19:25   #6427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
When you switch on, does the fuel pump start priming? and does it crank?
Yes, i can hear the pump priming and it cranks, but won't start. Battery is pretty new as well.
Old 20th November 2019, 20:46   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing a weird starting problem on my 390. Somedays it does'nt start, and somedays it does! When it starts, it runs fine that day. The next morning it may or may not start. I give up and try the day after that, it starts without drama. There is no pattern to this behaviour. I'm not sure what's going on. Any troubleshooting ideas?
Check for loose battery connectors, rat bites, clogged fuel lines/filter/pump.

However this reminds me of the intermittent starting issues on my 2013 390 when it was brand new. It would start easily at times and wouldn't start at all some times. It was diagnosed to be wrong valve clearance after they opened the engine head. Accordingly, shims were replaced and valve clearances were in the expected range.

This is a remote possibility but you can check if nothing else works.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:40   #6429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, i can hear the pump priming and it cranks, but won't start. Battery is pretty new as well.
Hope you are not giving any throttle inputs? Get the fuel pump and filter checked apart from any loose electrical connectors. ECU connector especially.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 13:28   #6430
BHPian

Thanks everybody for your comments and advice. I finally went in for the set below after evaluating Metzlers, Michelin, Apollo Alpha H1, Ceat and Pirelli. I could not find Timsum anywhere in Ahmedabad
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20191124_000643.jpg  

Old 24th November 2019, 14:03   #6431
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your comments and advice. I finally went in for the set below after evaluating Metzlers, Michelin, Apollo Alpha H1, Ceat and Pirelli. I could not find Timsum anywhere in Ahmedabad
You would simply love them.

They even look premium too. You can highlight Rosso II with White Highlighter pen to make them stand apart from others. This can be bought from AliExpress at cheap rate.
Old 24th November 2019, 16:57   #6432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
You would simply love them.

They even look premium too. You can highlight Rosso II with White Highlighter pen to make them stand apart from others. This can be bought from AliExpress at cheap rate.
Reference image of my KTM having Rosso II as rear tire with highlights done.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1574594762556.jpg  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 20:08   #6433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Reference image of my KTM having Rosso II as rear tire with highlights done.

Thank you so much. Your tyres look awesome. I will look for the marker online. Any chance of finding one or Amazon or will i need to go to AlieExpress only?
Old 1st December 2019, 11:39   #6434
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. Your tyres look awesome. I will look for the marker online. Any chance of finding one or Amazon or will i need to go to AlieExpress only?

Better to go with AliExpress as I have bought 5 pieces at a steal deal price.

Even, I think Black Friday kind-of sale is going on there. Please check.
Old 18th December 2019, 16:13   #6435
BHPian

Guys I have a serious problem.
Yesterday I was riding my bike as usual and the engine became suddenly louder and hollow sounding. In under a minute engine died. Attempts to restart failed. There was no cranking sound even.
Fortunately very nearer to the spot service center was there. I pushed the bike there and left it with them. The service guy called me just now and says the tensioner became loose and the engine seized.
Anything anybody can tell me on this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks