Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:20   #76
BHPian

Thanks. The pleasure is all mine. It was a deluxe. Not a over hail but a rebuild. A 407 at 80 kmph had differnce of opinion with my bike on the highway signal. The front end was gone and the clutch cover cracked. The chasis bent and the front wheel looked like a parrots beak. So rebuild the bike
Old 4th November 2013, 18:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Thanks. The pleasure is all mine. It was a deluxe. Not a over hail but a rebuild. A 407 at 80 kmph had differnce of opinion with my bike on the highway signal. The front end was gone and the clutch cover cracked. The chasis bent and the front wheel looked like a parrots beak. So rebuild the bike
I only wish that there was no loss of life involved. Stopping at the Red in Pune is also a dangerous thing. One has to keep a look at the rear view mirror and make prays for it to stop as well.

You will be surprised to know that over here in Pune, traffic lights have a different meaning. Red means "look left and right, if no oncoming traffic and no mama, then go". Green on the other hand means "Go, but make sure that no one is following the rule of Red from other directions." Yellow is just an extra bulb.

I had heard about the Deluxe from my uncle which he used to ride in his earlier service days.

Now a query from my end. I will leaving for my home-town for two weeks in the end of November.(visiting home-town). Therefore both my Amun-Ra and Pulsar will be under covers. I have noticed in the past, that after such long leaves, bringing back the Pulsar to life is in itself a Herculean task. KS and ES both fails to respond and the only option is to go on kicking till it starts.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening this time when I return (on both my motorcycles)?
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 20:15   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

Now a query from my end. I will leaving for my home-town for two weeks in the end of November.(visiting home-town). Therefore both my Amun-Ra and Pulsar will be under covers. I have noticed in the past, that after such long leaves, bringing back the Pulsar to life is in itself a Herculean task. KS and ES both fails to respond and the only option is to go on kicking till it starts.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening this time when I return (on both my motorcycles)?
Touch wood there was no loss of life. This incident re-confirmed my belief in all the gear all the time. I was on the bike and am here to write to you.

For long term non usage do what we do with cars. Disconnect the battery. Your trip meter will be reset but every thing else will work fine.

You also get solar battery trickle chargers which can be connected to 12V batteries and they will keep the battery charged; though this in our country needs to be used only if you have private enclosed parking away from prying eyes.

Solar chargers are something like this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sunfo...ger/747062.uts
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 02:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Touch wood there was no loss of life. This incident re-confirmed my belief in all the gear all the time. I was on the bike and am here to write to you.

For long term non usage do what we do with cars. Disconnect the battery. Your trip meter will be reset but every thing else will work fine.

You also get solar battery trickle chargers which can be connected to 12V batteries and they will keep the battery charged; though this in our country needs to be used only if you have private enclosed parking away from prying eyes.

Solar chargers are something like this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sunfo...ger/747062.uts
Thank you rulerofsun. My current riding gears are DSG revive gloves and Ninja helmate. Intend to go for a DSG Nero, but it will take some time.

There is no trip meter on Std 500, so nothing to worry on that front. I am quite comfortable in removing the battery from the Pulsar. In the coming week off, I will check out removing the battery from the Bullet. Should not be that difficult I suppose. Thank you for your suggestion.

Solar battery trickle chargers are out of scope at the moment because unfortunately the parking is shared and at the basement :(
Old 5th November 2013, 10:10   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you rulerofsun. My current riding gears are DSG revive gloves and Ninja helmate. Intend to go for a DSG Nero, but it will take some time.

There is no trip meter on Std 500, so nothing to worry on that front. I am quite comfortable in removing the battery from the Pulsar. In the coming week off, I will check out removing the battery from the Bullet. Should not be that difficult I suppose. Thank you for your suggestion.

Solar battery trickle chargers are out of scope at the moment because unfortunately the parking is shared and at the basement :(
Good choice of riding gear, you will also require good riding trousers and a jacket.

I was wearing a leather jacket, Alpine riding jeans (which tore), DSG gloves (tore and I had to stich back a finger) & and Aria Helmet (which spilt).

I understand the parking issues of living in an apartment. Cover your bike well and disconnect the batteries Tie it down if possible. Apply some Vaseline to the terminals and the connectors to protect them from oxidizing. You could also spray some WD40 to the chrome parts, levers & stand spring to prevent rusting/jamming. Two weeks is not a very long time but preventive measures always help.

RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 15:56   #81
BHPian

[quote=Majumdarda;3280430]
Quote:
I placed the order for Cramster's magnetic tankbag.../QUOTE]

Received the tankbag yesterday afternoon in a small parcel format. Was not sure if that thing can be packed in such a compact manner.
Hi Majumdarda,

Waiting for the review on the Tank Bag.

update soon

Regards,
Jimmy
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 19:28   #82

Quote:

You will be surprised to know that over here in Pune, traffic lights have a different meaning. Red means "look left and right, if no oncoming traffic and no mama, then go". Green on the other hand means "Go, but make sure that no one is following the rule of Red from other directions." Yellow is just an extra bulb.

That was one wonderful point you have said about Pune. I did not know about it. Being a Mumbaikar, I travel only once or twice in a quarter to Pune. Good, you said this, next time I will be careful. Thanks!
bhp4putuval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 13:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Jimmy_u;3285848]
Quote:

Hi Majumdarda,

Waiting for the review on the Tank Bag.

update soon

Regards,
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

The price of the tankbag is 1800, But if delivered to Pune, Cramster charges for shipping and the price goes to 2050.

Technically the capacity of the bag is of 16.5 liters. From usage perspective, that means a huge size for your most required stuff in easy reach-ability. I have been using this for my daily office rides and intentionally one day I took more stuff just to check the capacity and the balance. Just to give you an idea, it had my Bullet's cover, pulsar's cover, one water bottle, a few files and on top the laptop. It still seemed to have spaces at the sides where more things can be pushed into.

Grip is perfect, does not move an inch. On my Pulsar, I did not apply any cotton clothes and the bag seemed to bite onto the petrol tank. The handle movement was free and sudden brakes did not dislodge the bag. On Amun-Ra, I tried using a cotton cloth in between. (do not want to mar the polish). The grip was good, but not as biting as one can expect if you directly put on the tank. Again the bag did not pose any problem while driving straight or taking corners.

The arms basically have some round magnets which are powerful enough to serve the purpose. The top arms have two magnets, one on each arm, the lower arms have four magnets, two on each arms. Underneath the body (the section which comes in contact with the tank), there is some velvet like stuff. I understand that it is mainly to minimize the scratches, but if you use directly on the tank, scratches will come of course.

Overall I am satisfied with the product, the intended purpose and its ability to stand upto my expectations.

Regards,
Majumdarda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp4putuval View Post
That was one wonderful point you have said about Pune. I did not know about it. Being a Mumbaikar, I travel only once or twice in a quarter to Pune. Good, you said this, next time I will be careful. Thanks!
There are many such points if you travel over here on the streets of Pune. I have been staying here for the last 13 years (so you can call me as a Punekar), and people over here really have some funny ways while travelling (even I am now a part of the same group).

For example if you have an oncoming two wheeler coming straight across to you, and you are not sure if he intends to take a left or right turn, then try to look at the eyes. It will give you the intended direction of traverse.

Same goes while taking turns. Do not be fooled by the blinking indicator (it might have been left ON when he had started from his home), but look which direction his head tilts (from behind) or his eyes are looking (from front); that will give you again a pretty good assumption.

Following an Autorickshaw is another hindrance. From behind, if you see that the auto is moving in speed, then you can be assured that it has passengers and therefore it has a target to reach in x amount of time. (they always seems to be racing against the clock)

If there are no passengers, then the road seems to have been gifted to him, he has the entire space to move around and ask for passengers; often jamming the breaks right in the middle of the road.

If you have an Autorickshaw coming towards you, depending upon which vehicle you are driving, the rickshaw wallah will "think" about giving you a slight passage. If Pulsar, no ways, if bullet, yes, sometimes.

PCMC buses are another lot, and it will beyond the scope of this thread

And yes, females while driving on Pune roads are another fun to be having company while driving. You really need to observe their way of maneuver and there driving (resembles the time when a kid learns to ride a bicycle with support wheels). Female readers/riders please do not feel offended as these days, you will have males giving company and competition to you (especially if one is riding a scooterette).

bhp4putuval, please come down to Pune and travel the real roads. You can write a novel

Last edited by Majumdarda : 7th November 2013 at 13:49.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:00   #84

Quote:
There are many such points if you travel over here on the streets of Pune. I have been staying here for the last 13 years (so you can call me as a Punekar), and people over here really have some funny ways while travelling (even I am now a part of the same group).
I had a colleague who also had been to Pune once. He was travelling by Maruti ALTO some years back. He was driving straight and in front of him, an autorickshaw displayed the signal with his hand that he is planning to go right. So my friend slowly turned the car to the left of the auto to overtake. Suddenly, the auto swerved to the left. My friend asked him ... hey what are you doing, you first show the indicator with your hand that you are turning right, and .... Listening to the answer by the driver, he broke out laughing.

The autodriver answered ... "Agreed, I showed the right turn indicator with my hand, but then after that, I also shown the cross indicator with my hand ( X ) to cancel my first signal to go right ... didn't you see that!"

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th November 2013 at 16:26. Reason: Large post quoted
Old 7th November 2013, 14:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...shown the cross indicator with my hand ( X ) to cancel my first signal to go right ...
A cross indicator, wow, are the autowallahs redefining the RTO approved signals
Old 9th November 2013, 09:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit in doubt with regards to the PUC certificate's validity period . I brought my Motorcycle on the 5th Of October and that means it just completed one month and few days. Inside the tools box, there is the PUC sticker pasted.
Question is what is the validity period till I have to get a new one? Is it 6 months or 1 year?

Another thing that I have observed while getting the PUC for my Pulsar, is that there is no photograph taken of the number plate. Just the reading, entering on the yellow sheet of paper, getting it wrapped and staple. Is taking the photograph of the number plate the new norm? The place from where I get the certificate is authorized.

"I know there is another thread pertaining to this, but that does not help me in clearing my doubts. Therefore asking over here."
Old 9th November 2013, 17:49   #87

Quote:
I am a bit in doubt with regards to the PUC certificate's validity period . I brought my Motorcycle on the 5th Of October and that means it just completed one month and few days. Inside the tools box, there is the PUC sticker pasted.
Question is what is the validity period till I have to get a new one? Is it 6 months or 1 year?

Another thing that I have observed while getting the PUC for my Pulsar, is that there is no photograph taken of the number plate. Just the reading, entering on the yellow sheet of paper, getting it wrapped and staple. Is taking the photograph of the number plate the new norm? The place from where I get the certificate is authorized.

"I know there is another thread pertaining to this, but that does not help me in clearing my doubts. Therefore asking over here."
I do not know about Pune. But in Mumbai, I never saw any PUC centre taking any photos. It is as you said a yellow or green paper, with a white paper showing the Gas emission parameters, stapled to it. I have been receiving this from the time I drive in Mumbai, say 2007.

Maybe this is something, a kind of POC (Proof of Concept) done to check if this concept is cheaper and acceptable by the mass. If it works out, maybe in the future we will have this photo PUC sheet. If you already received this photo PUC sheet, what was the cost of this test? In Mumbai, for plain PUC, it is 30 bucks.
Old 9th November 2013, 19:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not know about Pune. But in Mumbai, I never saw any PUC centre taking any photos. It is as you said a yellow or green paper, with a white paper showing the Gas emission parameters, stapled to it. I have been receiving this from the time I drive in Mumbai, say 2007.

Maybe this is something, a kind of POC (Proof of Concept) done to check if this concept is cheaper and acceptable by the mass. If it works out, maybe in the future we will have this photo PUC sheet. If you already received this photo PUC sheet, what was the cost of this test? In Mumbai, for plain PUC, it is 30 bucks.
Same here buddy. Just 30 rupees and you get 6 months of nirvana.
But another question was, what is the validity period of the PUC certificate for new motorcycles? Is that one year or six months?
Old 9th November 2013, 19:19   #89

Quote:
Same here buddy. Just 30 rupees and you get 6 months of nirvana.
But another question was, what is the validity period of the PUC certificate for new motorcycles? Is that one year or six months?
It is one year for new vehicles, two wheeler or four wheeler.
Old 9th November 2013, 20:01   #90
BHPian

Majumdarda,

You may want to do the following for your trip away from your bikes.

1) Remove the Battery, clean the contacts and store it in a cool dry place, always place the battery on a piece of wood if possible.
2) Drain the petrol from the Carb (Your's is FI, so just ensure there is no fuel in the pipe)
3) Clean up the chain and lube it before leaving.
4) Park the bike on center stand, away from sunlight or areas where when it rains, does not fall on the bullet.
5) Cover the bullet properly.
6) Filling the tank fully with petrol helps avoid rusting (RE recommends removing all petrol from the tank, and also says fill petrol afresh before starting, then says low petrol level may cause rusting inside the tank) So have no idea which tip of theirs to choose, each contradicts the other.
These are some of the things I can think of.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks