Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 22:57   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The answer is no. Your bullet being equipped with the TCI needs power from the battery to fire the spark plugs.
regards adrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That feature was available on CDI ignition models sold between 2000 and 2004 which included the Electra,A350 and TBird .
A big plus point according to me was this ignition . But TCI was the next step and all the bikes were converted to that.
Thank you all for your prompt support. But please can you advise the full form of TCI

Now, I have one observation, which I observed while coming from office to home tonight. While riding, suddenly my eyes went onto the petrol tank and it seemed that there is light being reflected on the petrol tank as well. I immediately stopped Amun-Ra and tried to check if something has fallen off from Amun-Ra. Everything seemed to be in place, but when I observed the headlight assembly from the back, do not know why, but it seemed that something was amiss. It seemed to me that probably something has fallen off from the back of the headlight and now that I can see the connections from the rear. Please have a look at the below images which I clicked after I reached home.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6292__.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6296__.jpg

Probably I am being foolish in asking this, or might be that the headlight assembly rear of all Enfields are like this only, but still will it be possible for you guys to please check the rear of your respective headlight assemblies and clear my doubts?

"Have something fallen off from the back of my motorcycle's headlight?"
Old 19th November 2013, 23:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you all for your prompt support. But please can you advise the full form of TCI

"Have something fallen off from the back of my motorcycle's headlight?"
TCI stands for Transistor Coil Ignition and if you Google it, you will get an explanation on how it works and the difference from CDI and CB ignition systems.

The 'mess' behind the dome is very normal. Nothing has fallen off and the light that falls on the tank is from the speedometer bulb. Not sure what has changed in the newer bikes, but my 2002 Electra does not have that light falling on the tank..

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 19th November 2013 at 23:47.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 02:45   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Majumdarda

Some (not all) of the headlights on Royal Enfields have a small pilot or parking light which is inserted thru the headlight reflector from the rear. This is usually located below the center of the reflector and its purpose is to light the entire headlight in a soft glow when the headlight switch is in the "parking light" position.

If your motorcycle has one of these and it has slipped out of its socket it would light up the interior of the casquette and its light would be noticed on the forward area of the fuel tank.

Looking at the lower picture you posted, it looks like the light has fallen out of the white socket with the hole in the center.

By loosening (not removing) the top screw on the chrome headlight rim you should be able to tilt the headlight forward and out of the casquette. This would allow easy access to plugging the light back in.
An alternate approach would be to try to get your fingers into the area from the rear and push the light back into place.

Of course, the easiest way is to take the motorcycle to the dealer and let one of their mechanics do the work.

Before doing this, realize not all RE's have this light and I am guessing that yours does.
An easy visual method of determining if the bulb is actually used on your headlight is to look thru the front lens.
About 30-50mm below the actual headlight bulb, if you see a dark area in the shiny reflector, that's the hole where the small bulb should be.
If you see nothing that looks like a hole in this area it is possible that the light isn't used on your bike.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 07:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
TCI stands for Transistor Coil Ignition and if you Google it, you will get an explanation on how it works and the difference from CDI and CB ignition systems.

The 'mess' behind the dome is very normal. Nothing has fallen off and the light that falls on the tank is from the speedometer bulb. Not sure what has changed in the newer bikes, but my 2002 Electra does not have that light falling on the tank..

Regards
I think you have predicted that right. I probably have compared this with the assembly of my pulsar. The streak of light that falls on the petrol tank, is not from the speedometer bulb, but from the bottom down portion of the headlight assembly casing. It seems that at the very bottom of the circle, there is some gap [between the glass and the headlight metal casing] and some light gets leaked at the back too. I checked that yesterday while coming, to identify the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@ Majumdarda

Some (not all) of the headlights on Royal Enfields have a small pilot or parking light which is inserted thru the headlight reflector from the rear. This is usually located below the center of the reflector and its purpose is to light the entire headlight in a soft glow when the headlight switch is in the "parking light" position.

If your motorcycle has one of these and it has slipped out of its socket it would light up the interior of the casquette and its light would be noticed on the forward area of the fuel tank.

Looking at the lower picture you posted, it looks like the light has fallen out of the white socket with the hole in the center.

By loosening (not removing) the top screw on the chrome headlight rim you should be able to tilt the headlight forward and out of the casquette. This would allow easy access to plugging the light back in.
An alternate approach would be to try to get your fingers into the area from the rear and push the light back into place.

Of course, the easiest way is to take the motorcycle to the dealer and let one of their mechanics do the work.

Before doing this, realize not all RE's have this light and I am guessing that yours does.
An easy visual method of determining if the bulb is actually used on your headlight is to look thru the front lens.
About 30-50mm below the actual headlight bulb, if you see a dark area in the shiny reflector, that's the hole where the small bulb should be.
If you see nothing that looks like a hole in this area it is possible that the light isn't used on your bike.
After reading your advise, I just went to the basement to check if the parking lights have fallen off. Thankfully nothing has fallen off. I turned on the lights and the small parking lights along with the two pilot lamps are present and working. I tried pushing the parking light to see if that can go inside, but nothing happens, seems it is stuck in its position. The upper and dipper are also working fine. So thankfully, no bulbs have fallen off.

So I think that there is nothing amiss with my motorcycle, but still, do not know why, I am still thinking that something is missing from there. If nothing is missing, then why wasn't this crude finished fallen to my eyes at the time of the inspection. Damn me I think I would be rest assured if I can at least see a couple of Royal Enfields rear headlight assembly pictures and then have it compared with mine. Lets see.
Old 20th November 2013, 17:00   #140
Senior - BHPian

Okies, here is the Update.

My last night's sleep was not too peaceful and therefore woke up quite early and was amongst the first few morning visitors at Brahma Motors. Quickly observed the sole Std 500 standing over there (for test ride purpose) and yes, things were amiss.

Described the same to Mr. Sandeep and he listened calmly and enthusiastically to the situation's requirement and very prompty arranged for support to attend to my Amun-Ra on an urgent basis, as I had to come to office after that.

So what went amiss? Well, we all might have observed that behind the headlight, there is a funnel sort of a stuff, somewhat feels like leather (but not that) through which the wires come out at the other end. I do not know that what it is called and therefore this sort of description. What had happened was that somehow, this leather like material went upwards, thus exposing the naked wires and connectors and reflector plate of the headlight. How this happened, I do not have any ideas, but the solution was simple, "pull it down". Amun-Ra was promptly attended to under the watchfull eyes of Mr. Kadam, and I was quickly given the handover. As a courtesy from the BM team, I was not even charged for the labor involved.

Quickly thanked Sandeep and others and left for the office.

Yes, I have taken the picture, but will update the same once I reach home.

Best regards,

P.S. :- I was informed by the technician, that RE intentionally puts that leather like substance upwards so that it does not play any hindrance at the time of turning. Something which did not make sense, as what will happen if water creaps in at the time of rains / washing and creating short circuit.

Guys, with the things now in place [as it was], I have observed one thing. Still there is ample room for water to come in contact with the reflector base or bulb connectors. How can we stop that from happening?
Old 20th November 2013, 22:14   #141
Senior - BHPian

Below are the pictures I was talking about. Now when I observe what was missing, it hardly makes any difference from the protection front of view, but yes, this delta difference was the eye sore for me.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6297__.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6298__.jpg

But the question still remains that how will I protect the rear of the headlight assembly (connectors and reflector) from rains?
Old 21st November 2013, 07:56   #142

Quote:
Below are the pictures I was talking about. Now when I observe what was missing, it hardly makes any difference from the protection front of view, but yes, this delta difference was the eye sore for me.

But the question still remains that how will I protect the rear of the headlight assembly (connectors and reflector) from rains?
Well, the answer is very simple. Since you do not have any problem with the rest of the bike, let this not be a dampener to your RE spirits.

When it rains, we buy a handle cover that will cover the entire handle area. This way, the water will never find its way into the entire handle area, let alone the exposed wire area.

My wife has a scooty streak since Nov 2009. Every rainy season since 2009, she used to have some jerking trouble with his scooty, and we rush it to the workshop, only to get some servicing done and things goes smooth for a while. But whenver this happens, she always says ... everytime this happens only during the rainy season. That got us thinking, and we started using the handle cover from May till November every year. We never had this trouble again .
bhp4putuval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 21:27   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp4putuval View Post
...let this not be a dampener to your RE spirits.

...buy a handle cover that will cover the entire handle area. This way, the water will never find its way into the entire handle area, let alone the exposed wire area...
Thank you bhp4putuval. Off course this shall never be a dampener to my RE spirits, nah, never.

But I like your suggestion of using the handle cover. Unfortunately I could not locate anything like a RE's handle cover on the google(seems body covers are plenty these days ). If possible, can you please upload a picture, so that I can have a fair idea. If this is something not readily available, then I can have it stitched by local seat-cover guys, but would prefer to have some picture as a guide line.

Best regards,
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:38   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
...The videos I shot from the Bullet were very shaky as I had pinned the cam onto my riding jacket as I didn't want to stick it on the bike or helmet (tried the easy way and failed). Actually the video size for an hours run comes to 1GB. Search the internet and you can see several videos shot by the mini dvr. The downside is that this has no screen and it takes experience to aim the cam the right way.
regards adrian
Hey Adrian,

Just got mine delivered last night. This morning I went on a small ride, after attaching the mini dvr to the front side of the helmet. Well like you had warned, once I came back and checked, the video seemed to be directed only at the streets . I thought it was trailing my eyes, whereas it was just awe-struck with the streets.

So after this, tried with another alternate fixing angle within the helmet. Have tested at home, seems this time it will give me the correct view, but lets see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Advantages :-
  • Price, the main thing. Just for thousand bucks one should not expect more.
  • Video clarity is good, if shot at day time.
  • Sounds are captured well, and with the visor shut, noise is reduced.
  • Small and compact size, with strong body and various attachments for viewable angle.

Things that could have been better :-
  • User manual. In the Chinese it says memory card supported is 32G, whereas in English, it says 16G
  • 10min video size is 430mb. So please keep micro SD card handy.
  • Main challenge is to position the mini dvr so that it shoots the right things.

Verdict : I am happy with the type of video being captured if I have the price point of view in mind. It makes no sense in comparing this to the HeroPros or Sonys. Definitely a good purchase for experimentation purpose.

From the front. If one wishes he can put down the visor and it shall still remain in place.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6305__.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6304__.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6306__.jpg
Old 26th November 2013, 14:59   #145
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Does any one remember this part number ?

"888002". I have some real good news
Old 26th November 2013, 15:47   #146
BHPian

[quote=Jimmy_u;3285848]
Quote:

Hi Majumdarda,

Waiting for the review on the Tank Bag.

update soon

Regards,
Jimmy
Hi Majumdarda,

awaiting pics of the tank bag
Old 26th November 2013, 20:53   #147
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Jimmy_u;3303946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post

Hi Majumdarda,

awaiting pics of the tank bag
Hi Jimmy_u,

Please check the post 73, Those are the images that I have. Do you need any other images. Please let me know.

Best regards,
Old 27th November 2013, 11:09   #148
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I had seriously thought that by providing the part number, at least it will ring some bells, somewhere; but I was proven wrong.
Just a few days back, out here on the forum people were asking each other (including PMs) how to procure the same, so much interest was being shown. But hey, human mind is pretty strange, it looses interest pretty soon it seems.

Anyways, below is the image and it is now available at dealership. In Pune you can contact Brahma Motors as they procured for me. I am sure that it is available across other dealers as well.

Thank you very very much to my silent well wisher in helping me to get this pretty sooner. Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6340__.jpg
Old 29th November 2013, 09:32   #149
Senior - BHPian

Ok Guys,

Let me quickly complete the formalities. As we do not have a feature like Out Of Office over here, therefore I am just updating my status on this forum.

I will be moving out in next couple of hours, for my home town and will be back by around the mid of December. Off-course I am taking with me your best wishes and hope to see you all soon. It will be quite challenging for me not to login for so many days at a stretch.

Anyways, do have a nice time ahead and wishing you all miles of safe riding.

Take care,

Best regards,

P.S. :- No, I am not taking my Amun-Ra this time, but next time it definitely shall be the case(Nov-Dec 2014).
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:01   #150
BHPian

So here's the video I had made right after I got the delivery, I could not sit down to compose the music, I did it today finally.

Sorry about the sloppy guitar playing
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks